[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 156 KB, 362x507, IMG_1094.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
23423896 No.23423896 [Reply] [Original]

This is my weekly thread where I ask what everyone is reading. Last few times I got few replies which is disheartening. But I’ll try again:

>what are you reading?
>how is it or what are your thoughts on it?
>bonus: a book you finished recently or want to read next?

>> No.23423921

Book of the new Sun and Anna Karenina, both continue to impress with how masterfully they're written. I have been fantasizing about writing a book or a story for a videogame for a quite some time now but I don't think I'll ever write anything considering how I can never hope to make something that's even half as good as these.

>> No.23423953

>what are you reading?
Patriarcha by Robert Filmer (first published 1680, written about 30 years prior to that)
Honestly? It's a relic of it's time. Filmer's main argument is that the sovereignty of kings originates in the patriarchal structure of the family, dating all the way back to Adam. It's really interesting because a lot of the ideas he expresses in that book are like the complete opposite to how we conceive things in the modern world. For example, he tears down this notion that sovereignty originates with the people as opposed to the monarch; who governs through God. I seriously wonder if contemporary philosophy will sound completely foreign to people 400 years into the future, or even just 100.
I read a short book the other day also from the 1650s, which predicted the future. It detailed the demise of the Turks, the fall of Catholicism, and the coming of the Kingdom of Jesus

>> No.23423961

>>23423896
Just read Signs Preceding The End of The World yesterday and it was the biggest steaming pile of shit I’ve ever read. I can’t believe how much acclaim that book/translation received. In the early parts of the book I figured maybe it was just a bad translation and I wanted to give it a shot in Spanish but I don’t think that’s the case; it’s full of ridiculous and cringe moments.ł

>> No.23423975
File: 122 KB, 750x1097, 540.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have way too many books on the go at once. I need to finish them and get back to 1 or 2 at a time.

>Treasure Island.
It's comfy af. Just a shame I already know the twist going in, but oh well.
>Dreams, Memories, Reflections.
Beautiful writing and interesting window into Jung's life. But dense to read at points.
>Jung in the 21st Century.
Very well written comparison of Jungian thought to neuroscience, evolutionary anthropology, physics, etc. tl;dr they agree
>Count of Monte Cristo.
Great prose but too dragged out, got bored at the Paris part and haven't managed to get back yet.
>The armanen runes and the black sun in modern heathenry
Schizobabble shit that fell for the esoteric traditionalism meme
>The bloomsbury companion to heidegger
Insightful but very dense. The chapters vary in quality due to the different contributors.

>> No.23424013
File: 1.10 MB, 1638x2048, IMG_0257.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23423896
Several, like >>23423975
Implied

>Medieval Europe by Chris Wickham
Not bad, it’s interesting that Germany formed after France, I wish he would spent more time on the period of “limbo” between the fall of the Roman Empire and the twilight of the medieval period, but there’s only so much he can cover. Also didn’t like that he’s tacked on some “gender” nonsense in a chapter I have yet to read.
>Dramas, Fields and Metaphors by Victor Turner
In the juicy section right now about the structure/anti-structure thesis of “liminality”, interesting stuff since I read Jung recently, regarding the symbolism stuff about different historical events. I’m reading towards the section where he talks of the significance of pilgrimages.
>The Renaissance: Studies In Art And Poetry by Walter Pater
Pretty dry, not a fan. Going through it slowly. Not as theoretical as Hegel or critical as Tolstoys treatment of the subjects
>On Literature by Umberto Eco
A lot more interesting than the Pater book, but hard to follow at times. Again, reading it slowly
>Mercenaries In The Ancient World: To The Death Of Alexander by Stephen English
Nice, but reading it slowly. A lot of stuff regarding payments of the soldiers a bit much, but good nonetheless.
>Early Poetical Works by Ezra Pound
A nice break from the heavy stuff. Dude really likes trees and wind a lot, but I’d wager most of it would be more properly read during the winter

>> No.23424016

>>23424013
Oh and forgot I want to read Man, State And War by Kenneth Waltz sooner or later.

>> No.23424128

1Q84. about halfway through. its good. I like Aomame and her needle. Tengo is a bit of a bore but he has a good heart. one thing I've noticed is, Murakami uses a lot of exposition to explain things, often explaining the same thing several times, and then will have characters explain these same things to each other in dialogue, so you would have to be an idiot to not understand exactly what's going on in the story. Is this a Japanese thing? the reason I ask is, they do this same thing in anime (which I haven't watched much of, just Dragonball, a little bit if Baki, a little One Punch Man). but in Dragonball they'd have several characters in a row explaining in very explicit terms exactly what's going on: how the fight is developing, what is at stake, their emotional reaction to it, etc. Murakami seems to do this as well. and while I prefer novels that "trust" the reader more to sort through implications / ambiguity, it is refreshing in a way to read prose that is extremely straightforward and explicit.

>> No.23424166
File: 112 KB, 512x768, 1716244378947095.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23423896
>what are you reading?
Flowers in the Attic
Very good so far, reminds me a lot of The Coffin of Andy and Leyley, which is why I started it (You don't wanna know how many times I replayed the game). I like the characters a lot, they're much more relatable than the characters from other older books I've been reading lately. Can't wait to see where things go, so far I get the sense the message of the book is FUCK moralizing geezers, which I wholeheartedly agree with,
I read the novelization of Godzilla 1954 that was recently translated. I liked it a lot, though the translation was questionable in a few places, and they seriously should've included the illustrations. Also the printing quality was utter dogshit, and the translator is clearly a not-well-read idiot. Dude seriously thought using "X" in dates/locations to avoid specifics was something exclusive to Japanese literature.

>> No.23424212
File: 116 KB, 923x1089, 20240520_214322.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>What are you reading?
Made in Japan by Akio Morita.
>How is it
Great, I've learned a lot about running a business and he also talks about Japan both during and after the war, lots of interesting information.
>book you finished recently
The innocent's aboard by Mark Twain, really good and highly recommended for anyone who's interested in history and other countries, also surprised it hasn't been banned considering how much shit he talks about Muslims, he really hates Muslims.

>> No.23424221

>>23423896
>what are you reading?
Just started Death's End and about to start The Burnout Society
>how is it?
So far not much has happened but usually these books take a bit to get going. My excitement for this book seems very muted as compared to when I finished The Dark Forest
>a book I finished recently
Can Life Prevail?
Linkola is a pussy and a dumbass who both contradicts himself and provides no real solution to the problem of over population, climate change, or endless economic growth. I'm surprised anyone takes him seriously

>> No.23424223

>>23423896
>what are you reading?
right now? a language book called "assimil", german edition
it's nice. very very long to go through though if you're doing it the right way. it takes me around 30 min of full focus per lesson
the old man and the sea, hemingway. I got filtered I guess because it wasn't that special
next I will probably read a french book, possibly Atomized by houellebecq ou le comte du monte christo

>> No.23424247

>>23423896
>Thucydides
Decided to reread this on a whim. First time I found it dry but respectable. Since I’m familiar with it now I feel I’m getting a lot more out of it. The first time I was just overwhelmed with city-states, movements, and battles. This time I’m having an easier time seeing Thucydides unspoken thoughts and feelings, and what the war meant on a level that is deeper than topical.
>Van Gogh’s letters
Rereading it in a different edition, the Yale University Press one called Ever Yours. My favorite book and my yearly reading of it. This edition seems to have more letters than the other two I have. I just read Emile Bernhard’s My Friend Van Gogh, and a Taschen book on Van Gogh beforehand as a type of preparation
>next book
I have Kitto’s The Greeks I want to speed through and I want to reread Herodotus when I’m done Thucydides. I have the landmark edition but it’s a paperback and I read in bed so it’s a bit awkward so I just bought the Everyman’s Library version. I also want to start Toynbee’s A Study of History soon. Also some of the Greek tragedians. I also have Life is a Dream by Calderon in the mail which I’ve been wanting to read forever

>> No.23424258

>>23423896
Great Expectations since I never read it and it was one dollar at a used bookstore. I'm also kind of a fiction newb. It's a lovely little story and Dickens is pure concentrated soul

>> No.23424269

V. by Thomas Pynchon, I already finished the other two books in my library haul: Vineland by Pynchon and Junky by William S. Burroughs.

>> No.23424319

>>23423896
Why is this horse so smug? I hate it.

>> No.23424322

>>23423921
>Anna Karenina
I don't know how you guys can read this and say it's well written, it feels like something a japanese guy would write as an anime

>> No.23424329
File: 268 KB, 399x600, Parvini-The-Prophets-of-Doom_jpg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23423975
>forgot to say what I finished recently
Prophets of Doom is a nice light introduction to some interesting and lesser known philosophers, it only occasionally loses style points due to getting in jabs about the shitty state of the modern world instead of just talking about the philosophy.
>want to read next
Otto Rank - Art and Artist because a professor lent it to me and I want to give it back soon.

>> No.23424336

>>23423896
"crime and punishment"
has boring moments, i was told after the murder it gets really boring but i'm still enjoying this 400/700
it's weird since this is what everyone start classics with but i'm reading this after illiad, war and peace, anna karenina

>> No.23424337

>>23424322
Anna Karenina is actually well written
it's just the levin's struggle with "life without god" has no place in the story
the hunting party with oblonsky and levin and ... parts were really unnecessary and boring though

>> No.23424342

>>23424221
Death's End is amazing. Pay attention to the fairytales which are both the high point of the series and the key to its roman a clef. Only Byung Chul Han book I liked was The Disappearance of Rituals.

>> No.23424373
File: 45 KB, 400x617, IMG_3399.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not one of Faulkner’s major works but I’ve read all of his major works so this will have to do.
It’s seven interrelated short stories, the first five of which are set during the US Civil War in Yonawhatever County, Mississippi. The first few stories started out fairly humorous but with foreshadowing that darker events were on the horizon.
I finished up the fifth story last night and the war finally ended but things did in fact get much grimmer, but then you expect such things with Faulkner.
I should finish the last two stories today and may watch the movie Gettysburg on DVD at some point today or tomorrow. Or pick up Shelby Foote’s Civil War trilogy and read up on Bedford Forrest since he gets a few mentions in the book.
I wouldn’t rank this anywhere near even my least favorite major Faulkner works but it is an entertaining read and he does a nice job with the Civil War setting and a few memorable characters.

>> No.23424638
File: 476 KB, 1600x902, Alan-Lee-Gormenghast.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23423896
Titus Groan, shit's like reading a painting. I'm really liking it and the visuals that Peake evoke are fun as hell. I'm still early on though, a hundred pages or so

>> No.23424647

>>23423896
- Lord of the Rings
- it’s extremely comfy, I love it so far. I postponed reading this classic for so long that I was afraid I’d end up being disappointed, but so far it’s living up to my expectations.
It makes me want to go outside and take hikes in my town and in the nearby forest.
- next I’ll read Houellebecq’s Serotonin, far less wholesome I’m afraid.

>> No.23424739

Forrest Gump - wanted to see how different it is to the movie. Its a lot more over the top than I was expecting.

>> No.23424967

>what are you reading?
Proust - Sodom & Gomorrah
Kant - Critique of pure reason
Spinoza - TTP
Fanon - wretched of the earth
Too many at the same time for me.
Proust is great, made me start reading Kant.
Reading Spinoza and Fanon at the same time makes me understand the rise of the far right in this century.
Franciscus van den Enden

>> No.23424976

>>23424967
>Reading Spinoza and Fanon at the same time makes me understand the rise of the far right in this century.
How so?

>> No.23424999

>>23424976
Spinoza's ethics said that most people just don't think that much and are controlled by their 'troubled' mind.
Fanon saying that decolonisation comes paired with violence, and people's reaction to that is just to hate the people who use violence. Also, people who don't have much trouble with the state will choose the state instead of the people who feel oppressed by it.

Most people just hate their fucking life working and not growing as much as promised in propaganda/school. But they are too afraid to start questioning the system, because they know life can get worse.
It's really not that shocking why people vote for someone who said life will be much easier and safer by funding police and cutting taxes/government jobs, than someone who will say some technical stuff about the economy or even some marxist analysis.

>> No.23425077

>>23424342
Did you buy like his other books?

>> No.23425079

>>23425077
"not" not "buy"

>> No.23425332
File: 143 KB, 438x613, circe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

just finished Circe by Madeline Miller

the author is a professor of latin and greek and she weaves all the greek legends and gods into an awesome novel, it's my favorite thing I ever read in relation to the illiad and oddysey

it was very easy to read and has the unique POV of an immortal daughter of Helios (the sun), starts in the halls of the Titans

really fucking good, I would call it beautiful, its not fantasy slop, it's a proper novel with an awesome and unique main character that grows throughout

I enjoyed reading it so much I just went from 70% to the ending last night, reading until 1 AM, and was sorry when it ended

>> No.23425347

>>23424128
in animes in think it is mostly cringe, but in a book, especially a long one, i can see the use of it. quite often in fiction we read stuff that is not important at all. if it gets repeated a lot that is a good signal that it is actually important later or for the author/interpretation.

>> No.23425415

>>23423896
>what are you reading?
I'm almost done with The Catcher in the Rye. Like 20 pages left.
Reminds me of myself when I was an edgy teenager. The thing is, I don't get this book. What is the point? Nothing about the book is remarkable.

>> No.23425478

>book u're reading
Clash of Civilizations, it's a cool book if u're interested in international relations.
>Book you finished or want to read next
I'll continue reading Schmitt's Leviathan book. Maybe read his other works too or start reading Spengler

>> No.23425480

>>23425415
It’s a book you should read a few times. Once as a teenager, once in your early 20’s and once at 30+. Usually the reader’s thoughts and reactions to the book depend on how old they are. Once you see how you interpret it at different ages you understand the book

>> No.23425686

>Whatcha read?
I'm read The Unprotected Class: How Anti-White Racism Is Tearing America Apart.
>How is it? What think?
I'm pretty early in but he's laid the groundwork well enough. The Civil Rights Act was well-intentioned but has lead to discrimination against huwhite people. I knew that employers weren't allowed to do IQ testing but I didn't know why. I just learned about the Griggs v Duke Power case. uuuuuuuh mister employer you're not allowed to do that because even if you're not explicitly doing it to limit black opportunity, there's a disparate impact against blacks bc they typically score lower. hahahha what an absolute crock of shit. The first few chapters have just been echoing things that are already widely known. White people unfairly demonized in nearly every aspect of culture in America. It doesn't address how we got to this point, at least not in the first few chapters.
>What you reading?
Wuthering Heights for fiction.
>What think?
It's certinaly a shitload easier to read than Blood Meridian! The writing isn't as pretty but it's significantly easier to get through and follow along. I'm only 40 pages in. I really enjoyed the nightmare scene with Mr. Lockwood and the ghost of Catherine trying to enter the home. Paraphrasing:
>She broke the glass and grabbed hold of my hand and I struggled to break free.
>My fear made me cruel.
>I rubbed her arm over the broken pane to an fro until the blood soaked through her nightgown
What a great line!
>What want to read next?
I've got a few things on the docket! For fiction I'm going to either read the Joseph Conrad anthology or Anna Karenina. For Non-fiction I'll be reading God's Battalions by Stark.

>> No.23425718

Tropic of Cancer. It's amusing enough and I can see how it may have been shocking at the time, but I'm not sure I see anything truly artistically valuable in it. Got another 200 pages to change my mind.

>> No.23426477

>>23423896
Reading Richardson's Clarissa. I honestly hate it. I think I will drop it and read some Dickens instead.

>> No.23427020

>>23423896
Game of Thrones, has been slow reading, but it has been pleasant. I enjoy the characters (for the most part), the world building, and the semi-Medieval setting. Something about it sparks my imagination. Not too big a fan of some character’s POV’s, like Dany. It’s a shame I watched the show first, R+L and Ned’s execution seem like genuinely interesting writing.
I was thinking of reading Day of the Jackal next, really enjoyed the movie and then I found out there was a book. I don’t really know though. Any recommendations?

>> No.23427039

>what are you reading?
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
I'm a big fan of Steinbeck's shorter works like Of Mice and Men and Cannery Row. East of Eden is every bit as entertaining as his shorter works, just on a much longer scale. I'm only about 200 pages in as I've been busy with work, but I'm eager to continue it.
Earlier today I read a collection of Moomin comic strips with my girlfriend and we thoroughly enjoyed them. After I finish East of Eden I intend to read the first volume of The Decline of the West.

>> No.23427049

>what are you reading?
the fall of hyperion
it's good so far, although I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't directly pick up from where the last book left off. I want to know wtf happens to those people.
hyperion, the first one.

>> No.23427100
File: 623 KB, 1479x596, 20240523_235621-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I just started reading Bruce Fink's Clinical Introduction to Lacanian Psychoanalysis and it is an interesting and a more practical introduction to Lacanian Psychoanalysis.
I don't really plan on using it for clinical practice but it may serve well as a tool in everyday interactions, and may even help me analyze cultures once I get to Zizek.
So far the coverage on Psychosis helps me to retroactively understand my firsthand experience with my bipolar and clinically depressed gay cousin. Where his psychiatrist can only precribe ever-increasing dosages of his medicine, in this book Fink outlined the common 'symptoms' in psychotic patients that I have observed wth my cousin.
Such as the certainty that psychotics have with their hallucinations, feminization, language disturbances, and how Imaginary relations predominates(rivalry, aggression, jealousy) due to the inability of the psychotic to be introduced to the Symbolic order due to the foreclosure of the 'Paternal metaphor'.

I have alloted a lot of time in this book for the past few days. In times where I get the interest to read another book, I spend a few minutes reading Sean Homer's Jacques Lacan, which, also an introductory book it's different in the sense that it tries to isolates Lacan's key ideas, providing each with a short enumeration of the influences that helped developed each ideas, and how it influenced other fields of studies (which is mostly literature and humanities)

>> No.23427313
File: 24 KB, 317x475, culture of critique.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23424999
I hope this is bait and that nobody can be this fucking ignorant. If you want to understand the far right just read the far right instead of a jew and a nigger.

>> No.23427410
File: 742 KB, 1111x1714, IMG_3411.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23424373
I finished The Unvanquished. I enjoyed it but I wouldn’t put it up with The Sound and the Fury or Absalom, Absalom!

Moving on to Fitzgerald. I’ve read all of Fitzgerald’s novels, so now time to move onto his short stories. I’m coming toward the end of the road for Cormac, Hemingway, Fitzgerald. Fortunately I still have a few Faulkner, Steinbeck and Dos Passos to read.

>> No.23427502

>what are you reading?
Moby Dick, but ive been reading it since november and i just got to chapter 54, so yeah...
Very exhausting for my ESL ass, but its great so far
Next or i better say parallel to Moby Dick will be Siddharta, i need something to go along with the whale

>> No.23427732

>>23427502
Siddhartha sucks anon if you want a great book set in india read the far pavilions

>> No.23427770
File: 85 KB, 649x1000, 61t2aehfMsL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>what are you reading?
The Last Samurai

Highly enjoyable. DeWitt is funny and I like that the book is easy to read. Would recommend.

Maybe something by Ruskin.

>> No.23429572

>>23427732
Siddhartha is great. Just don't use it to learn about India or Buddhism. That's not the aim of the book.

>> No.23430020

>>23423896
Currently re-reading Stormlight Archives book 3 and then book 4 after to prepare for book 5 release. Brandon Sanderson's ability to tell a story is hard to top.

>> No.23431701

>>23427020
Oh yeah, I was also thinking about reading Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds, that any good?

>> No.23431756

Impossible Exchange, Baudrillard
Sorcery, Hurley
War of the Flea, Taber

>> No.23433213

>>23431701
Douglas Murray in general is a very weak author.

>> No.23433347

>>23423896
kind of a meme but I'm reading Intimacy and its Discontents - an essay on the Hegelian and psychoanalytical aspects behind Evangelion. It's a good primer on the real stuff.

>> No.23435568
File: 87 KB, 960x640, you.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Land of Sin by Jose Saramago. This board never talks about this genius because most of you are mono lingofags.

>> No.23435638

>>23423896
>readan
The Trial
>how is it
I hate the dialogues so fucking much it's unreal, it's making me not want to continue the book.
>recently finished book
Great Ghatsby. First half is "rich people are... LE DUMB", second half is literally just a love-triangle soap opera tier story. Hated it.
Just to make sure that I don't come off as a complete contrarian, though, I will say that the two books right before Ghatsby were Blood Meridian and Invisible Cities, and I enjoyed both a lot.
>want to read next
No clue. I wanted to read the entirety of Kafka's work but after how much I hate reading The Trial I definitely won't be doing that. I'm lost right now. I'll most likely just re-read Blindsight

>> No.23435712

>>23423896
>what are you reading?
Dante's Inferno
It's okay. I believe Hell was meant to interpreted as being ephemeral, where you're tortured according to the sins you've recently committed or commit regularly and that repenting will free you from the torture, with the exception of the permanent ones like suicide or murder. I also found it funny that Dante names so many people he knew and didn't like as being residents of Hell. Parts of the book read like a 14th century diss track.
Lots of text books. I'm working 12 hours days with two days off and working on school constantly, with little time for leisure reading. I did manage to finish On the Shortness of Life by Seneca last week and before that I read The Prince and 1/4 of Moby Dick.

>> No.23435982

>>23435638
You probably don’t even know what the green light means.

>> No.23436135

>>23435982
I got it. How you can only wish upon the stars that you can't reach, because the ones you do reach lose their magic. It's about being human, striving for a beauty and happiness that do not exist.
It IS a beautiful thing and the strongest part of the book (and it is a very strong part on its own, not just relative to how utter shite everything else is), but it's among pages upon pages of pointless drivel.

I have zero problems with slow books, or slow movies, or slow anything. I do have problems with pointlessness, though, and the Great Ghatsby is like 99% pointless
>B-BUT... WE NEED 100 PAGES OF PEOPLE BEING VAIN AND... AND WOW NOBODY WENT TO LE FUNERAL!!

Ghatsby's death was so fucking forced... my God. It literally happened just to do le epic subversion at how none of his former party-goers showed up at the funeral, as if to say "wow these people are SUPER VAIN HUH?" ignoring the fact that Ghatsby was a pretty bad host, never mingling with anybody, and hardly anyone could even recognize him at his own parties

>> No.23436226

>what are you reading?
Iron John by Robert Bly

Very relatable jungianesque take on myths of manhood and I really liked his idea that we need to bring back “initiation rituals” for young men. His poetry is a little wack for my taste, but to each their own.

Physical Chess My Life in Catch-As-Catch Can Wrestling by Billy Robinson and Jake Shannon. Finished it a while ago. Really good memoir.

>> No.23436543
File: 258 KB, 1246x2346, 1688625067923797.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23423896
>>what are you reading?
Pic.
>>how is it or what are your thoughts on it?
Find Aleph inferior to Ficciones. Waterfield is really good, really detailed book of Ancient Greece history, touching on multiple aspects, for such few pages.
>>bonus: a book you finished recently or want to read next?
Want to read Aristotle's Politics next. Got filtered by Metaphysics. Also looking forward to reading about Alexander and Hellenestic-period history.

>> No.23437000

>>23423896
>what are you reading?
Pale Fire by Nabokov and Meditations on the Tarot.
Pale Fire is a bit more cartoonish than I expected. The only Nabokov I'd previously read was Lolita but I assumed the tone there was unique to Humbert Humbert as a character - turns out it's more Nabokov's narrative voice. Was expecting a slow, reflective thing about academic jealousy kind of like Stoner, and am a little disappointed. Kinbote is just a silly Nordic gay boy

Meditations on the Tarot is changing my life.

In the Cafe of Lost Youth by Modiano - want to read soon. I'm the anon who requested depressive stories about bars a few weeks back and got recommended this. Picked up a copy and it looks very fun. There's a Louki in every neighborhood dive bar.

>> No.23437043
File: 40 KB, 404x500, IMG_5667.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>what are you reading?
Property and Contracts in Economics: the Case for Economic Democracy
Very interesting contract based attempt to argue for market socialism. The chapters on the alieneist vs the inalienast natural rights history was illuminating, framing it through the Roman conception of Translatio versus Concession (subjugation or delegation). His arguements on the uniqueness of labor is interesting, especially since I have just read Studies in Mutualist Political Economy where Kevin Carson sought to reformulate the labor theory of value from a subjectivist lens, labor being unique in that there is a disutility in working. Ellerman takes a more legal perspective by arguing that labor is the party that is de facto responsible for firm actions, and the legal system has to pretend workers can swap between “thing” and “human” depending on the context. As a market socialist, he does not believe the “capitalist” will be abolished, but instead wishes to see firms where laborers hire capital and are capable of appropriating the fruits of the enterprise and capitalist being paid solely for access to capital while not being contractually presumed to acquisition of the finished good. I’m on part 3 now and I hope to finish by this weekend.
^ studies in mutualism political economy was the last book I read. I may read Ellerman’s Democratic Firm for a clearer picture of what he environs or move on the Axelrod’s evolution of cooperation.

>> No.23437078

>>23437043
Forgot to add the crux of his thesis where he combines the inalienable natural rights and the labor firm model. Ellerman argues wage labor is logically inconsistent due to the requirement that a labor must swap between “thing” and “human” depending on the employee’s behavior (his main example are crimes committed by the employee). Thus he says self-employment (independent contractor) or worker cooperatives are more legally sensible. Likewise, he critiques neoclassical models that run into issues when they presume capitalists have a property right to the whole product, where it is best considered a contract claim by the hiring party (which Ellerman believes should be labor)

>> No.23437115

>>23437000
Funny, I think Pale Fire is his best. Not my favourite (that's Ada) but his best.

I'm reading the Golden Bough. I have a soft spot for grandiose ambitious academic works that aren't really correct or up to scholarly standards but at least posit an interesting idea, so I knew if like it going in. Interesting to see how influential its been on literature, especially fantasy.

Also reading the 3rd Knausgaard My Struggle book. Remains enjoyable, still makes me laugh that it's so successful despite doing everything you aren't "supposed to" as an author in the contemporary publishing scene.

>> No.23437222

Reading Interior Castle, always get 1/3 through and then get distracted. Doing a slow reread of Meditations on the Tarot (really just posting to say hi to the other anon, happy for you). Both are very helpful and getting different things out of them this time around.
Just finished Salammbo, have wanted to read it for years and finally made myself do it. I haven’t read any fiction for a long time, imagery was very delirious in parts and Hamilcar is a gorilla pimp. Did a reread of On the Acquisition of the Holy Spirit just before, fast and also helpful to revisit.
Up next, contenders are John of Damascus’ On the Divine Images, poetry because I want to write some but am a chicken (Hopkins), Laurus.

>> No.23437252

>>23423896
>Paradise Lost
>Satan makes some good points. Sin and Death fucked me up when they were introduced as people.
>Uhh I wanna read Blood Meridian next I guess. I’ve been reading really old stuff for a while and I think more modern prose and pacing will be a nice break.

>> No.23437595

>>23424999
To be fair you’re already taking an ideological position on a general sociological issue which fails to account for leftist agitation, which in turn, academics fail to account for because they’re wholly comprised in their own way.

>> No.23437609

>>23437043
What’s a good book on market socialism that might appeal to a geolibertarian like me?

>> No.23437670

>>23424337
>the hunting party with oblonsky and levin and ... parts were really unnecessary and boring though
They are meant to be a "boring" nothingburger to illustrate the simple happiness of Levin's life that he struggles to appreciate due to his "muh agricultural improvment" autism.

Those chapters and especially the hunting party are the absolute peak expression of the Platonic idea of comfy - they convey the feelings of comfort, joy, relaxation, companionship and love to a free-thinking reader, while aggressively filtering the neurotic audience that Tolstoy actively wanted to dab on:
>"Wait, where is le drama? Where is le excitement? Le sensual TENSION?! Oh my Byron there's not a single love triangle in this story how am I meant to enjoy a text where nobody gets cucked for over a 5 pages AAAH I AM GOING INSAAAAANE SAVE ME ROMANTICISM"

Tolstoy didactically tells us that the dizzying (cock) carousel of Karenina's life is cringe, while chilling with your homies and cozying up with your trad wife is based, and Levin being slow to realize that himself is an illustration of the audience itself being slow to come to that obvious realization.

>> No.23437682

>>23423896
>what are you reading?
Eichmann in Jerusalem: A report on banality of evil by Hanna Arendt.

Really fun - she turns proceedings of an extraordinarily slow and uneventful trial into a nonstop flex on the state of Israel, the Jews, the FRG and the concept of the court system. Nazis unironically get the least of it, and she manages to deliver her rather basic take of
>"Evil? Megalomaniacal? Bitch them SS men be literal NPCs"
in a very lively and entertaining way. A wonderful illustration of how the most impactful thoughts come not from their intrinsic qualities, but by how and when they are delivered. Arendt did not come up with anything groundbreaking, but she dropped her piece with style, and precisely at a time and in a place where it made absolutely everyone seethe.

That jewess was an S-tier troll and I just can't help but admire her, 10/10 would spit roast her with Heidegger.

>> No.23437975

>>23437115
It’s taken me so long to get through my struggle 3. I’m still only half way through. The parts with the dad are interesting, but I can only take so much bike riding and comic book reading from a kid.

>> No.23438051

>>23437609
I’m only just gotten into the subject myself, so I’ve only read Ellerman’s book, Markets not Capitalism, and Mutualist Political Economy (unless you count Spooner as I have read Rothbard’s collection of essays, but that was concerning legal theory not economics). Besides reading the rest of Kevin Carson and Ellerman’s work, I plan on reading Socialism after Hayek, but cannot speak to its quality. For a specifically geolibertarian work check out Fred Foldvary. I managed to snag a cheap copy of his Public Goods and Private Communities but haven’t read it yet, but I liked his paper synthesizing Austrian-Georgist business cycle.

>> No.23438053

>>23437609
>>23438051
I’ll say if you want an intro markets not capitalism is the way to go

>> No.23438958

>>23423896
>what are you reading?
The godfather
Pretty good
The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya

>> No.23438973

>>23423896
This thread makes me think most litizens just check out the board every now and then. It’s been up 5 days and only 70 replies, when actively reading a book is something everyone should be doing on a literature forum

>> No.23439003

>>23438973
Well OP didn't ask for second order thinking

>> No.23439515

>>23423896
Still mostly loli manga
Very nice always makes me spurt hot loads

>> No.23439517

>>23437670
>Oh my Byron there's not a single love triangle in this story how am I meant to enjoy a text where nobody gets cucked for over a 5 pages
lmfao, have a (You)