[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 379 KB, 500x600, donnie_darko_suppressing_laughter.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2332590 No.2332590 [Reply] [Original]

I'm a stranger in a strange city, /lit/, and I'm becoming lonely.

Recommend me some great character novels so that I can simulate a meaningful emotional relationship.

>> No.2332599

Notes From Underground. Followed by a viewing of Taxi Driver.

>> No.2332608

Go outside.

>> No.2332613

>>2332608

but its cold and dark

>> No.2332616

mrs caldwell speaks to her son

>> No.2332619

>>2332613
Go to a bar

>> No.2332620

>>2332616
my copy is in the mail if you want to wait for a review, bitch to get your hands on

>> No.2332621

Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry
Joyce Cary is supposed to have written great characters, try the horses mouth.
also, somebody was asking about you recently, i think ty or tomharper.

>> No.2332623

>>2332620

wanna read that review

>> No.2332628

I think I've passed that point long ago. I can't get through stories with several interrelated friendly characters without wanting to collapse under the weight of my own loneliness. I can only read about solitary characters. It's bad enough coming here to be teased by comments and discussion from people who I could get on with yet aren't really present.

>> No.2332630

Oblomov, by Ivan Goncharov

>no gf
>no job (yeah, yeah, absentee landlord, gtfo)
>no ambition
>no motivation

He's basically a Hikikimori who lies in bed all day and realises how pathetic he is.

Plus Goncharov is a great writer.

>> No.2332636

>>2332623
I'm not sure you do.

>> No.2332649

>>2332636

surety is overrated

>> No.2332651

>>2332649
well to be sure of nothing is to know me well.

>> No.2332655

The Outsider
The perks of being a wallflower
The sorrows of young werther
confederacy of dunces
too loud a solitude

what are some other novels about solitary lonely beta faggot losers?

>> No.2332656

What city? Maybe we could fuck, or I could read you a story.

>> No.2332659

>>2332655
I've heard there's a Lincoln biography that's particularly good. Something to check out maybe.

>> No.2332665 [DELETED] 

>>2332656
i would come to you if i had a clue as to who you were.

>> No.2332669

>>2332659
abraham lincoln? was he lonely beta faggot like myself?

>> No.2332674

what city, OP? I'll fuck you if you're male or female. male virgin here btw

>> No.2332744

>>2332656
Are you going to hurry up and tell me? I'm lonely too.

>> No.2333961

Prague

>> No.2333964

>>2333961
lonely in prague, what a basis for a romanticist novella

>> No.2333965

Demons by Dostoyevsky?
The empathy that man can evoke.

>> No.2333966

This story I am writing, how good do you think the character development is. I don't think I'm that good at it.

alright, here it goes.......
So, my life has come to this.....I guess it is best if I start at the beginning.

I almost died a few years ago. It was when a couple of friends and I took a trip to the

high desert in southern california. We got there, camped out by a cool Joshua tree and

got drunk. Later (it was probably like 3 in the morning) we grew hungry and got in the

truck and drove to the Jack in the Box a couple miles back. On the way back, my friend

driving wanted to off road rally race a bit (well, we all did actually) so we did so. We

got about 1 mile and a half in the wild desert when all the sudden, we drop and flip and

land upside down. We all crawl out of the truck (I was in the back and just touched the

back windshield and it popped out) I noticed the entire roof of the truck was under

dirt. I look and see we are in a hole, well actually more like a huge crack in the earth

but it was like 8 feet deep. We saw that the land we were driving on ended right at this

"crack" and since it was so dark we couldn't tell what was 2 feet ahead of us, so we

just drove right off.

>> No.2333968

>>2333966
We walked back through the very dark, very creepy desert night (I brought my burger and

fries, sadly I lost the drink) hoping to find someone to help us, trying not to get

eaten my wolves and rattlers and scorpions.
We later find out that it had rained 2 days before, and had it not, the ground would

have been as hard as rock and the cab would have crushed, killing us all.
Well, on our dark journey through the perilous desert we did have one good thing and

that was the most clear night sky I have ever seen in my life. Each and every star shone

prominently and you could see many constellations almost without effort. It was pure

beauty and bind boggling awe. I was suddenly overwhelmed with an over powering sense of

perspective; like I have witnessed the creation of the cosmos and beyond. Then my friend

tripped on a rock fell and we all heard the snap as his wrist broke. Almost as if in

response a wolf howled in the distance.

>> No.2333969

>>2333964

more like a woody allen movie

>> No.2333971

>>2333966

>>2333968
My friend and I helped our fallen comrade and used a bic lighter to provide light enough

to inspect the damage. Though we all heard the snap, we hoped it would not have broken

the skin. By the grace of whatever there was no skin breakage(which was good since I

heard a wolf and I thought I heard that they could smell blood a long ways off). I asked

my friend if he is ok to tread on, and he replied that he could, I could tell the effort

it took him to hide his pain from us though. We had to quicken our pace, the thought of

wolves was really starting to weigh heavy on my mind. I have never actually even seen a

wolf in real life and didn't even have much of a clue how big they actually are.

A lot bigger than I though, it turns out.

>> No.2333972

>>2333971
i don't hate your story, but please don't attention whore with that spacing. Learn how to use word processors or use a pen instead.

>> No.2333973

We seemed to walk for miles, we couldn't possibly be this far into the desert. Then I remembered in our half drunken half jostled from the wreck state we started to walk back to civilization without even realizing which way civilization even was. I stopped right there and pointed out that we have most likely been walking further into the desert and must turn back the way we came to return to the truck and figure out in which direction we came from in the truck. We all felt pretty stupid right then but need to make haste. We turned around and to our shock, couldn't even tell which way we have been walking. My unhurt friend said he remembered that bush in that direction so we went that way. Again a howl in the night, closer, too close actually. Followed by another and then several more. Each one coming closer at alarming rates. I noticed my friends stop dead in their tracks and so did I, my heart was beating at one hundred miles per hour, my mouth went as dry as the hot desert air, and my hand started to sweat profusely. I could here the patter of their paws on the cool loose desert dirt, it sounded like an army of them were right there just enough into the darkness that we couldn't see 'em. But I knew they could see us. See me!

Sorry 'bout the spaced shit, I copy/pasted it from notebook and didn't realize it pasted with those damned spaces

>> No.2333981
File: 22 KB, 263x420, ph2009091303184.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2333987

>>2333981
Hated this book. But I read it anyway.

>> No.2334030

OP is a nasty turd of a person.

>> No.2334033

Thank you bango

>> No.2334069

Why can't you just google "gay nightlife+Prague" if you're lonely, and fuck off?

>> No.2334143

Hey Trumie, you don't have to be lonely anymore. I live in Rome at the moment and I'm planning on visiting Prague soon. Maybe we can meet up and have some gay sex. I'm not gay, btw. I'll let you know.

>> No.2334154

You sound like the kind of person who hasn't read Cather in the Rye yet, and who would get along with Holden swimmingly.

>> No.2334156
File: 21 KB, 500x375, mitebcool.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2334143

sounds like fun