[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 78 KB, 612x598, IMG_6640.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
23309009 No.23309009 [Reply] [Original]

Has anyone read it ?

>> No.23309312

Lots of people but not me.

>> No.23309326

>>23309009
I read it. Dry as dust. Pretty much the anti-book. Worst reading I’ve ever had the displeasure of experiencing

>> No.23309329

>>23309326
Basically this. Imagine reading >1000 pages of this.

>> No.23309426

Yes, I can recite it in arabic. But the Qur'an doesnt fit into /lit/, its not meant to be read like a normal book. Some things you can only grasp with a good translation (Khilali and Khan is the best, just saying) with tafseer combine, someone like Ibn Katheed. Many passages make references to things that happened during the first years of Islam and the common reader of /lit/ who doesnt have a knowledge about islamic history will not understand anything.

For those interested nevertheless, download the Al Qur'an app from playstore, it has both a good amount of translations available and the tafseer embedded.

>> No.23309595

>>23309009
Yes, it's dull as dishwater

Imagine the following repeated 5000 times, that's the Quran
>Say [O Muhammad], Allah is most merciful, most compassionate, those who disbelieve in the day of judgement will be destroyed, did not Allah send Noah and Abraham and Ishmael and Jesus, they all submitted to Allah and did not follow the way of the polytheists

>> No.23311316

>>23309009
stupidest shit ever put to paper
unless you are willing to submit to idiocy you won't manage to finish it

>> No.23311339

>Imagine reading >1000 pages of this
It's barely half that. No surprise /lit/fags comment on books they've never read.

>> No.23312244

The Koran itself refutes Mohammed as a prophet. At one point he says “if I’m a false prophet I pray that God severs my aorta” and then it literally records him dying from an aortic dissection top kek. Tell this to a Muslim then watch them hit you with the kebab stare as they try to process it,

>> No.23312328

>>23309009
Turns you into part of a hivemind unironically

>> No.23313028
File: 100 KB, 856x1172, Thomas_Carlyle_lm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23309009
>Very curious: if one sought for "discrepancies of national taste," here surely were the most eminent instance of that! We also can read the Koran; our Translation of it, by Sale, is known to be a very fair one. I must say, it is as toilsome reading as I ever undertook. A wearisome confused jumble, crude, incondite; endless iterations, long-windedness, entanglement; most crude, incondite;—insupportable stupidity, in short! Nothing but a sense of duty could carry any European through the Koran. We read in it, as we might in the State-Paper Office, unreadable masses of lumber, that perhaps we may get some glimpses of a remarkable man. It is true we have it under disadvantages: the Arabs see more method in it than we. Mahomet's followers found the Koran lying all in fractions, as it had been written down at first promulgation; much of it, they say, on shoulder-blades of mutton, flung pell-mell into a chest: and they published it, without any discoverable order as to time or otherwise;—merely trying, as would seem, and this not very strictly, to put the longest chapters first. The real beginning of it, in that way, lies almost at the end: for the earliest portions were the shortest. Read in its historical sequence it perhaps would not be so bad. Much of it, too, they say, is rhythmic; a kind of wild chanting song, in the original. This may be a great point; much perhaps has been lost in the Translation here. Yet with every allowance, one feels it difficult to see how any mortal ever could consider this Koran as a Book written in Heaven, too good for the Earth; as a well-written book, or indeed as a book at all; and not a bewildered rhapsody; written, so far as writing goes, as badly as almost any book ever was! So much for national discrepancies, and the standard of taste.

>> No.23313108

>>23312244
>aortic dissection
Wasn't he poisoned by a slave?

>> No.23313210

Yes, it is great. Basically the thesis is that it is worthwhile to worship the most powerful, the almighty and only him. And here are the rewards and here are the punishments for not doing it.

>> No.23313272

>>23312244
>>23312244

You think you are some kind of genius, dont you? Like: "Oooh I found an incredible fact against this religion no one can refute". But lets come to the facts. First of all Muhammad didnt died after eating the poisoned food, this story was added to a hadith from Ibn Abbas telling about the signs of the death of Muhammad, here is the original version (Where is the mention of the aorta? Your stare: o_O):

Narrated Ibn Abbas:

`Umar used to make me sit with the elderly men who had fought in the Battle of Badr.

Some of them felt it (did not like that) and said to `Umar "Why do you bring in this boy to sit with us while we have sons like him?"

`Umar replied, "Because of what you know of his position (i.e. his religious knowledge.)"

One day `Umar called me and made me sit in the gathering of those people; and I think that he called me just to show them. (my religious knowledge).

`Umar then asked them (in my presence). "What do you say about the interpretation of the Statement of Allaah: 'When comes Help of Allaah (to you O, Muhammad against your enemies) and the conquest (of Mecca).' (110.1)

Some of them said, "We are ordered to praise Allaah and ask for His forgiveness when Allaah's Help and the conquest (of Mecca) comes to us."

Some others kept quiet and did not say anything.

On that, `Umar asked me, "Do you say the same, O Ibn Abbas?"

I replied, "No."

He said, 'What do you say then?"

I replied, "That is the sign of the death of Allaah's Messenger which Allaah informed him of.

Allaah said: '(O Muhammad) When comes the Help of Allaah (to you against your enemies) and the conquest (of Mecca) (which is the sign of your death). You should celebrate the praises of your Lord and ask for His Forgiveness, and He is the One Who accepts the repentance and forgives.' (110.3)

On that `Umar said, "I do not know anything about it other than what you have said."

(Sahih al-Bukhari Vol. 6, Book 60) (Book 65, Hadith 4970).