[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 873 KB, 1280x959, Severian.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
23271732 No.23271732 [Reply] [Original]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MGov82cX4hI&pp=ygUUR2VuZSB3b2xmZSBpbnRlcnZpZXc%3D

2:48
>”…I don’t agree with those people (literary academics). They assume that the ephemia of today is somehow permanent and important, that we will always have yellow buses and fireplugs. Both of those are false. What is permanent and important is the creations of the human mind - of which buses and fireplugs are only very minor creations - and the physical world. The first of those is what we call fantasy, and the second of those is what we call science fiction when you put it into a literary context. I don’t think reality can be defined as a knife edge in time.”
>”The landscape of fantasy is not the landscape of myth, but of the landscape of the future.”

Unbelievably based.

>> No.23272394

Gene Wolfe was the most baased fantasy writer.
More news at eleven.

>> No.23272402

>>23271732
>The landscape of fantasy is not the landscape of myth, but of the landscape of the future.
What's that supposed to mean?

>> No.23272422

>>23272402
That you will live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension.
he's basically saying that everything will be possible eventually in the future due to technological advance, and I mean, i'm having a hard time refuting that

>> No.23272429

>>23272422
I actually had that thought a couple days ago in the shower.

>> No.23272439

>>23272429
Yeah, but Gene Wolf is a Genius because, not only he thought about it in the shower too, but he also wrote a novel which perfectly exemplifies and develops this idea without spelling it outright to the reader.

>> No.23272451

>>23272439
True. I'm jealous of him.

>> No.23272463

>>23271732
>All the things that make fantasy fiction fantastic—the magic, the spirits, the gods, the objective morality, the fate—also happen to be staples of Scripture, be it Christian or ancient Greek or Hindu or what have you. Fantasy celebrates and critiques our most natural way of conceiving the world, a way that has been and continues to be undermined by the findings and proceeds of science. The way I see it, fantastic literature is the dirge of our civilization, a final retelling of our most ancient and primordial songs. The song ends when our voices fall silent. No one knows what follows the song. We can only hope that we’re somehow stronger for the singing.

>> No.23272464
File: 82 KB, 640x841, 640px-R_Scott_Bakker_3_240409.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>f God is dead then fantasy is His grave.

>I’ve spent thirty-five years, now, searching for the secret of meaning, chasing research across disciplines and arguments through millennia. What is it? Why does it seem to be slowly boiling away? My short fiction and nonfiction on the subject have been published in Nature, Midwest Studies in Philosophy, and The Journal of Consciousness Studies.

>But epic fantasy has always been my primary vehicle. For me, fantasy fiction is the crash site of meaning. Create a world possessing the structure of Biblical Israel or Vedic India or Homeric Greece and it will be called fantastic. Create an alternate, intrinsically meaningful world, and the world will instantly recognize it as especially false. The very shape of meaning now indicates delusion: and this, I think, should give us pause.

>So I guess you could say that for me, fantasy is a pretty serious thing—something worth pissing people off about! My nutty ambition was to write the only kind of Bible a human could write in this remarkable and blasphemous age—a far different Book of Revelation, more honest to the complicated edges of the world, equally horrific. A textual crypt for the corpse of God.

>I knew it was crazy, outrageous even, but I had confidence in my ability to make the wreckage interesting. And with The Unholy Consult coming out this summer, the World at last stands revealed, and I feel like there’s so bloody much I can babble on about...

>> No.23272516

>>23272463
Is this in the same interview? Or is this Bakker?

>> No.23272588

There's no words to express how much I love Bakker and Wolfe. Thank you guys for the memes.