[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 15 KB, 300x350, body916.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2326744 No.2326744 [Reply] [Original]

Hi, guys. I'd really like to do some self-education, since my high school was shit and my college is shit. So I'm cross-posting a list of topics I'd really like to learn about. Please recommend some books/films about this shit. I'd like materials that are more legitimate sources for learning, not stuff like "Freakonomics" and whatnot, although those would certainly be appreciated. Thanks.

-Economics
-Business
-Finance
-Education
-Child Development
-US Law
-US History
-World History
-Political Science
-Computer Engineering
-Computer Science
-Military Tactics
-Sociology

I'd also like to read about the world's cultures, but not in much detail. I'd just like a book that has brief descriptions of the cultures of different regions of the world or something, I don't want to read a 700 page brick about "Russian Studies" or something.

>> No.2326747

for economics

http://www.amazon.com/essential-books-in-austrian-economics/lm/XX9OIOUT1A6T

>-Sociology
all worthless

>> No.2326754

>>2326747
Is that list actually decent? They're trying to sell shit, so it might not really be an "essential" list.

Also, why don't you like sociology?

>> No.2326759

>>2326754
>Also, why don't you like sociology?

because it's a joke?

Because it's just a stand for leftists to present their lying social engineering retardation?

>> No.2326768

>>2326759
dude wut. By observing recurring social trends and statistics it enables leftists to make more informed decisions about their welfare policies and similar shit. It's far from lying.

>> No.2326770
File: 31 KB, 300x360, 1300817461469.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2326759

I've been lurking /sci/ and /lit/ because I enjoy reading your sometimes-intelligent discussions, but I've kind of left /sci/ because of their not math = not science attitude.

Now I find it on /lit/ along with the second post whining about "leftists"

Why.

>> No.2326773

These are the books I had for my Sociological Theory course:

>The Protestant Ethic and Spirit of Capitalism by Max Weber

>The Postmodern by Simon Malpas

>The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx and Frederick Engels

>> No.2326775

>>2326770
hes not representative of lit. i think pol is migrating here in small numbers.

>> No.2326780

If you want to learn about different cultures, read their literature (philosophy and novels/poems/other cultural works). It depends on what cultures. You can start with your own by reading the Grecian classics.

Military tactics: Art of War. Not! overrated. You can use it as a guide to life as well.

Economics: Capitalism and the Protestant Ethic by Mark Weber. However, economics is loaded like sociology with cultural assumptions clouded in objectivity. Weber crosses disciplines here, which is good, but he also has "German biases" not unlike Marx.

>> No.2326782

>>2326768
>leftists
>informed decisions

nope

>By observing recurring social trends and statistics

They do not do this.

What they do is invent up bullshit, and then go looking for data to support it.

>> No.2326784

Sociology and Neoclassical economics are the same materialistic crap. Ignore Randbots and Leftwing slime all the same.

>> No.2326785

>>2326773
Sweet, thanks man!

Also, taped lectures on would be nice. I've been watching Khan Academy a lot, but its obviously very limited.

>> No.2326791

Finishing my college degree in computer systems engineering.

I'd recommend Sipser's "Introduction to the theory of computation" if you want to get an idea of what the dark side of computers looks like.
Marvin Minsky's "The Society of the mind" and Roger Penrose's "The emperor's new mind" might interest you too.

>> No.2326801

>>2326782
Oh, hey, you look like someone who reads the studies the moment the journals are out. And has a deep undestanding and knowledge of the subjects.

... Not.

You sound like a tiny, whimsical teen having a cool radical opinion about some non-cool subject you read about on wikipedia.

>> No.2326804

>>2326780
>>2326780

Alright. I'm currently interested mainly in Chinese, African, Jewish, and Arabic Cultures.

Also, thanks for the suggestions. I've read a bit of the Art of War already, and it was good.

>>2326791
Danke. I'll czech 'em out.

>> No.2326817

>>2326804
>african
>culture
pick 1, why don't you study the stories of your ancestors and being a disgusting xenophile?

>> No.2326826

>>2326817
Because I've read enough of Harold Bloom's Western Canon and Israel, the Middle East, and China, and (to a lesser extent) Africa are all hot topics in modern politics.

But yeah, white pride worldwide brother. Fucking leftists and their sociology bullshit.

>> No.2326831

>>2326817
I like how xenophobes always have a terrible grasp of grammar.

>> No.2326852

>>2326831
i missed a word, i do not believe that means i have bad grammar.

Then again, i did fail my english classes in HS. Of course this was because i hated them for how much bullshit was involved in it.

>> No.2326855

>>2326852
*leftist bullshit

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD IS LEFTIST PROPAGANDA XDD

>> No.2326858

>>2326852
>Then again, i did fail my english classes in HS. Of course this was because i hated them for how much bullshit was involved in it.
Sounds like legit reasoning.

>> No.2326864

>>2326852
lol i am 13 too and i hat the education system 2. i mean wen r we ever gonna use this shit in real life?

>> No.2326872

>>2326855
i wouldn't say it was overmuch leftist propaganda, but then again my eyes were not open to reality yet.

It was just bullshit, i couldn't give two shits about reading into stories to try to find magical meanings and other crap like that.

I loved reading too, i often enjoyed reading the actual book, but FFS i'm not going to analyze it to the extent/using the processes that they taught.

Oh ya i remember we did a bunch of shit on freud, so maybe it was leftist brainwashing.

>> No.2326874

bump

>> No.2326881

>>2326864
Schools don't even teach the important shit at all.

math and science has been castrated in the name of lowest common denominator and because the subhuman invaders can't manage to pass it.

But no surprise, this is naturally what a public mandatory "education" system will turn into, that's why it should be privatized.

>> No.2326879

>>2326872
so in other words 2deep4u

>> No.2326887

>>2326881
>privatized education

LOL. Middle class white teenager detected. Enjoy your shitty class system with zero upward mobility. And this is coming from a Paulbot.

>> No.2326892

>>2326887
yes because it was hell on earth before we had mandatory public schooling right?

Some people have a really wacky idea of what the state is for and what it does.

>> No.2326893

I studied busines/econ/finance/pol sci at uni, it's kinda hard to say exactly what to read.

To understand most modern economics you need a decent grasp of mathematics and statistics, but you can learn what the different models are based on and what they imply without that, I don't really know of any book that does this though, it depends on what area of economics you're interested in, it is a very wide topic.

For basic supply / demand stuff, any Econ 101 textbook will do. Robert H Frank and Ben S Bernanke - Principles of Economics and Principles of Macroeconomics are both very accessible.

For Business Strategy I would say Michael Porter
For marketing , look up Phillip Kotler.
For Management, look up Herzberg and Porter & Lawler.

They've all written articles outlining their stuff but otherwise it is pretty much textbook-grade stuff.

Finance is again a super wide field, but read up on different types of equities, bonds, funds, hedge funds, banks, and how it all works, especially WHY big companies and government needs all of those things. They're not just there to have fat cats make money.

>> No.2326895

>>2326893
Grinblatt & Titman - Financial Markets and Corporate Strategy, is a pretty solid textbook in this regard.

Political Science is pretty wide as well and I didn't study strict political science. Most of the political science we had was the rational-choice based political science, often named "Public Choice". A guy called Dennis Müeller has a book called "Public Choice III" which covers a huge amount of different studies in different fields based on this, and is very good.

As for Computer Science I am currently reading "Computer Science - An overview" and I'd recommend it, only read the first 3-4 chapters but it's given me what I wanted so far.

World history is hard. I am currently reading a 16-volume world history from the 60's written by an old dead norwegian guy, but I don't think it's available in english so it's not much use to you. You should be able to get something like "History of the world" somewhere though.

As for Mythology, "World Mythology" by Roy Willis covers a lot there, and is quite good.

>> No.2326896
File: 42 KB, 654x616, AreYouKiddingMeBlackSS.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>MFW no Philosophy and Theology

>> No.2326897

>>2326892
Yes, it was called the Gilded Age. Inaccessible education for lower classes leads to a class system and the stagnation of capitalism. I bet you believe taxation is theft, too, right?

>> No.2326901

>>2326893
>To understand most modern economics you need a decent grasp of mathematics and statistics,

Only to follow monetarist or post-keynesian bullshit.

That's not real economics tho.
How do you model human behavior using math?

>> No.2326903

>>2326893
>>2326895
Fucking A. Thanks niggaz.

I actualy already have a pretty decent grasp of Economics 101 from Thomas Sowell's Basic Economics.

>> No.2326905

>>2326901
without certainty.

>> No.2326908

>>2326897
>The Gilded Age saw the greatest period of economic growth in American history

Gosh, what a horror. A period of freedom, massive economic growth, unheard of prosperity!

I would hate for such a thing to reoccur, i'll gladly send my children into the governments keeping, brainwash them all you'd like!

I think you are also confusing cause and effect. The poor could not afford significant amounts of education because worker productivity was very low. now it's high and we can easily afford such things.

>> No.2326913

>>2326903
Oh that's cool then, you're probably fairly covered, frankly any of those books will probably have you more informed than most people.

If there's any specific topic you're interested in, I may be able to give you some sources.

>> No.2326920

>>2326913
>>2326913
Yeah, I really liked Basic Economics because a lot of it applied economics in modern politics and the lack of economic understanding from politicians in general.

And I just want a good understanding of the field as a whole. I don't really know of any specific topics in economics I'd like to read up on.

>> No.2326924 [DELETED] 

>Economics
Textbooks:
Principles of Microeconomics by N. Gregory Mankiw
Macroeconomics by N. Gregory Mankiw
Microeconomics by Robert Pindyck and Daniel Rubinfelt
Microeconomic Theory by Andreu Mas-Colell, Michael D. Whinston, and Jerry R. Green
A Course in Microeconomic Theory by David M. Kreps
Introductory Econometrics: A Modern Approach by Jeffrey M. Wooldridge
Game Theory by Roger A. McCain
Globalization by Donald J. Boudreaux
Games and Information by Eric Rasmusen
Lectures in Game Theory for Computer Scientists edited by Krzysztof R. Apt and Erich Grädel

>> No.2326921

>>2326901
By forgetting the individual and looking at the population as a whole. Patterns start to appear. Use statistics. Pick a variable you want to concentrate on. Examine how it changes, what events led to it changing, how the changes effect the rest of the picture. Use probabilities. Use data mining.
How can you NOT use math to model human behaviour?

>> No.2326927

>>2326901
In the late 70's and in the early 80's you saw the first attempts at formulating human behaviour in a way useful to, amongst others, economists, it took a while to get accepted but since 2000 it has been a growing movement within modern economics, that especially has made it to microeconomics. People are working on different ways of formulating axioms of human behaviour to incorporate into different models, but it's not easy.

It is especially difficult with macroeconomic models, where it would be the most important, in adjusting the outputs of policy changes on economic measurements.

But yeah I mean of course screw all that dude! Fucking KEYNESIANS and fucking MONETARISTS! Fucking losers man, who ever made them the boss! Don't they see that it's like the Austrians totally dude!!!!!

ps. Nobody cares but you and the other lolbertarians.

>> No.2326929

>>2326921
>By forgetting the individual and looking at the population as a whole.

sure is keynesian thought process

it doesn't work like that tho.

When you forget the individual, your predictions will never make any sense or hold any weight. Macro economics is not magically divorced from microeconomics because macro is the sum of all micro transactions and behavior!

>Pick a variable you want to concentrate on.
you CANNOT do this in economics.

>How can you NOT use math to model human behaviour?
How do you model future knowledge? ALL you are able to do with this approach, is draw straight lines out, continuing current trends.

And the fact is, you IGNORE everything that you cannot easily quantify.

>> No.2326931

>>2326927
>a CENTRAL BANK or GOVERNMENT is the philosophers stone, It's just MAGIC DUDE!!!

this is how you think.

>> No.2326947

>>2326929
I'm not him but that's just silly.

There are plenty of economists working on everything that isn't easy to quantify, but until they have those things worked out, the other economists work with what's available to them, which is often not that much.

Similarly you are absolutely right that the micro isn't divorced from the macro, most of the assumptions in macroeconomic theories are based on what we know from microeconomic theory but simplified, because we do not have the data on the actions of every single person to adjust for their actions in one huge dynamic macroeconomic model - not for lack of trying - so simplifications are made in the creations of the models.

In the actual application of those models you do not have a simple "oh 5 variables", but rather 500 or 1000 variables included in the equation.

And it is entirely possible to find correlations and in some cases causation in macroeconomic data by using statistics, and the more data you have, the more robust you can make your models, the more diverse scenarios you can simulate, and the more likely the results of your simulations are to match with reality.

But it's not easy.

Sitting on your ass and yelling "YOU'RE ALL STUPID AND THE WORLD IS GOING TO FALL" is however easy, and one day you'll inevitably be right.

>> No.2326950

>>2326931
thanks for telling me how I think, dude.

How about we stick to OPs topic yeah? We can take this bullshit to /pol/.

>> No.2326952

>>2326950
Yes, please do. I think I have enough economics books for now. Can we recommend another subject?

Also, theology would be decent. I'd like to learn about it.

>> No.2326954

>>2326929
It is still a model of human behaviour. With math.
Tada.

>When you forget the individual, your predictions will never make any sense or hold any weight.
NEVER.
ANY SENSE.
ANY WEIGHT.
Not even a tiny bit. Nope. Nothing.
Like, totally the opposite.

Could you even try to speak honestly?

>> No.2326959

>Economics
Naked Economics by Charles Wheelan
The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford
The Logic of Life by Tim Harford
Adapt by Tim Harford
Keynes Hayek by Nicholas Wapshott
Poor Economics by Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Duflo
Game Theory and the Humanities by Steven J. Brams
New Ideas from Dead Economists by Todd G. Buchholz
Rush by Todd G. Buchholz
Principles of Microeconomics by N. Gregory Mankiw
Macroeconomics by N. Gregory Mankiw
Microeconomics by Robert Pindyck and Daniel Rubinfelt
Microeconomic Theory by Andreu Mas-Colell, Michael D. Whinston, and Jerry R. Green
Managing in a Global Economy by John E. Marthinsen
An Evolutionary Theory of Economic Change by Richard R. Nelson and Sidney G. Winter
A Course in Microeconomic Theory by David M. Kreps
The Armchair Economist: Economics & Everyday Life by Steven E. Landsburg
Introductory Econometrics: A Modern Approach by Jeffrey M. Wooldridge
Game Theory by Roger A. McCain
Globalization by Donald J. Boudreaux
Games and Information by Eric Rasmusen
Economics for Real People by Gene Callahan
Lectures in Game Theory for Computer Scientists edited by Krzysztof R. Apt and Erich Grädel
A Theory of the Consumption Function by Milton Friedman
Capitalism and Freedom by Milton Friedman
Money Mischief by Milton Friedman
Free to Choose by Milton Friedman and Rose Friedman
A Monetary History of the United States, 1867-1960 by Milton Friedman and Anna Jacobson Schwartz
Econometric Analysis by William H. Greene
Common Sense Economics by James D. Gwartney, Richard L. Stroup, and Dwight R. Lee

>> No.2326962
File: 58 KB, 300x200, Milton Friedman (4).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Economics continued

The Myth of the Rational Voter by Bryan Caplan
Selfish Reasons to Have More Kids by Bryan Caplan
Golden Fetters by Barry Eichengreen
Globalizing Capital by Barry Eichengreen
Toward a New International Financial Architecture by Barry Eichengreen
Financial Crises by Barry Eichengreen
Capital Flows and Crises by Barry Eichengreen
The European Economy Since 1945 by Barry Eichengreen
Exorbitant Privilege by Barry Eichengreen
The Road to Serfdom by F. A. Hayek
Individualism and Economic Order by F. A. Hayek
The Constitution of Liberty by F. A. Hayek
The Fatal Conceit by F. A. Hayek
Liberalism by Ludwig von Mises
Human Action by Ludwig von Mises
Analytical Politics by Melvin J. Hinich and Michael C. Munger
Environmental Economics by Stephen Smith
Parliament of Whores by P. J. O'Rourke
Give War a Chance by P. J. O'Rourke
Eat the Rich by P. J. O'Rourke
Don’t Vote by P. J. O'Rourke
Public Finance by Harvey Rosen and Ted Gayer
The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith
Global Economic History by Robert C. Allen
An Essay on the Principle of Population by T. R. Malthus
The Pity of War by Niall Ferguson
The Cash Nexus by Niall Ferguson
Empire by Niall Ferguson
Colossus by Niall Ferguson
The War of the World by Niall Ferguson
The Ascent of Money by Niall Ferguson
High Financier by Niall Ferguson
Civilization by Niall Ferguson
A Farewell to Alms by Gregory Clark
Understanding the Process of Economic Change by Douglass C. North
Under the Radar by Arnold Kling
Unchecked and Unbalanced by Arnold Kling
Crisis of Abundance by Arnold Kling
Invisible Wealth by Arnold Kling
Making Great Decisions by David R. Henderson and Charles L. Hooper
Feeding the World: An Economic History of Agriculture, 1800-2000 by Giovanni Federico
Power and Plenty by Ronald Findlay and Kevin H. O'Rourke
The Logic of Collective Action by Mancur Olson
Mostly Harmless Econometrics by Joshua D. Angrist and Jorn-Steffen Pischke

>> No.2326965

>>2326959
I'm the other guy from earlier, but I'm just going to have to add this to your very expansive list:

Thaler & Sunstein - Nudge

>> No.2326967

>>2326952
Try
On the Jews and Their Lies by Martin Luther

>>2326947
let me ask you this, do you reject Say's Law?

>> No.2326970

>>2326962
sheeyit capn. that's a lot of reading. thanks nigga.

>>2326967
Is that White Nationalist Canon or a legitimate book with a misleading title?

>> No.2326972

>>2326970
Do you not know martin luther? The guy who started the reformation?

>> No.2326974

>>2326972
Yes, I am familiar with Martin Luther. But wtf is this book?

>> No.2326978

>>2326967
I think there are several fundamental flaws in Say's law that means I would never use it as a sole basis of analysis for anything.

I'd say Say's law has a point, but it isn't the holy grail, and I certainly wouldn't treat it as such. If you did, you would be ignoring other parts of the economy.

>> No.2326980

>US History
Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson
Lincoln by James M. McPherson
Lincoln’s Virtues by William Lee Miller
The Rise of American Democracy by Sean Wilentz
Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin
Passionate Sage by Joseph E. Ellis
American Sphinx by Joseph E. Ellis
Founding Brothers by Joseph E. Ellis
His Excellency by Joseph E. Ellis
American Creation by Joseph E. Ellis
First Family by Joseph E. Ellis
The House of Morgan by Ron Chernow
The Warburgs by Ron Chernow
Titan by Ron Chernow
Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow
Washington by Ron Chernow
Freedom from Fear by David M. Kennedy
The Glorious Cause by Robert Middlekauf
The Civil War: A Narrative by Shelby Foote
Truman by David McCullough
John Adams by David McCullough
1776 by David McCullough
The Greater Journey by David McCullough
Restless Giant by James T. Patterson
Grand Expectations by James T. Patterson
Mrs. Lincoln: A Life by Catherine Clinton
Lincoln by David Herbert Donald
A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn
A. Lincoln: A Biography by Ronald C. White, Jr.
The Radicalism of the American Revolution by Gordon S. Wood
Empire of Liberty by Gordon S. Wood
The Idea of America by Gordon S. Wood
Benjamin Franklin by Edmund S. Morgan
Kissinger by Walter Isaacson
Benjamin Franklin by Walter Isaacson
Washington by James Thomas Flexner
The Battle of Ole Miss by Frank Lambert
Alexander Hamilton, American by Richard Brookhiser
The American Civil War by John Keegan
Profiles in Courage by John F. Kennedy
An Unfinished Life by Robert Dallek
Lyndon B. Johnson by Robert Dallek
Nixon and Kissinger by Robert Dallek
Harry S. Truman by Robert Dallek
A New Economic View of American History by Jeremy Atack and Peter Passell
The First American by H. W. Brands
Traitor to His Class by H. W. Brands

>> No.2326981

How to get legitimate resources: google a class that teaches the topic, read the syllabus, and buy whatever textbooks the class requires.

How to get worthless propaganda: ask 4chan.

>> No.2326989

>>2326974
It's a book he wrote about the jews. Funny how you just happened to never hear about such a thing, goes to show who runs the media these days huh?

>>2326978
How does it have a flaw?
People want to spend their money and get things that they value more. This alone contradicts almost all keynesian thought.

>> No.2326992

>>2326989
>It's a book he wrote about the Jews

and their lies, apparently.

>> No.2326993

God /lit/ is fucking shit.

>> No.2326997

>>2326992
well, yes.

>> No.2326998

>>2326993
It's not *this* bad most of the time, honest.

>> No.2327003

>>2326997
So is it like canon for Mel Gibson's father? How can a book about the supposed lies of the Jews be relevant to any of the topics I'm asking about?

besides computer science, I guess, because Gaben

>> No.2327004

>>2326980
>Kissinger by Walter Isaacson

It appears this book neglects to mention that kissinger was a soviet agent. There is a reason why nixon distrusted the jews.

>> No.2327006

>>2327003
you asked about theology
I think it's fairly relevant.

What do you mean supposed? Were the jews kicked out of all of europe simply because of baseless "anti-semitism" ?

>> No.2327011

>>2327006
Because they were a nomadic people and nomads encroaching on an area with an established culture are generally unwelcome.

>> No.2327032

>>2327006
Also because they didn't fit in with the "We're like so Christian"-attitude of Nazi Germany.

>> No.2327043

>>2327011
you are thinking about gypsys.

>>2327032
yes because adolf hitler invented disliking jews?

>> No.2327061
File: 24 KB, 300x380, Lee Mack (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I know there are some glaring omissions, but I'm cranking out everything of value that I can remember in these lists. Hopefully it's enough to keep you happily occupied for a while. Anyway...

>World History
Economic Origins of Dictatorship and Democracy by Daron Acemoglu and James A. Robinson
Italian Renaissance Art by Laurie Schneider Adams
Voices from Chernobyl by Svetlana Alexievich
Mahatma Gandhi by Douglas Allen
The Campaigns of Alexander by Arrian
Che by John Lee Anderson
We Wish to Inform you That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families by Philip Gourevitch
Standard Operating Procedure by Philip Gourevitch
Afghanistan by Thomas Barfield
The Face of Battle by John Keegan
The Mask of Command by John Keegan
The Price of Admiralty by John Keegan
The Second World War by John Keegan
A History of Warfare by John Keegan
The First World War by John Keegan
Pericles of Athens and the Birth of Democracy by Donald Kagan
The Peloponnesian War by Donald Kagan
Thucydides by Donald Kagan
A History of the Habsburg Empire 1526-1918 by Robert A. Kann
A People’s Tragedy by Orlando Figes
Natasha’s Dance by Orlando Figes
The Whisperers by Orlando Figes
The Crimean War by Orlando Figes
The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman
A Distant Mirror by Barbara W. Tuchman
The Oxford History of the French Revolution by William Doyle
Aristocracy by William Doyle
India: A Portrait by Patrick French
Catherine de Medici by Leonie Frieda

>> No.2327066

>>2327043
>yes because adolf hitler invented disliking jews
What? Of course not. Don't be an idiot. Jews have been disliked for ages and ages. Nazis lead by Hitler were just surprisingly efficient at it.

>> No.2327070

>World History Continued

Alexander the Great by Philip Freeman
The Spartans by Paul Cartledge
Alexander the Great by Paul Cartledge
Thermopylae by Paul Cartledge
Ancient Greece by Paul Cartledge
Alexander the Great by Robin Lane Fox
Alexander of Macedon 356-323 B.C. by Peter Green
Atatürk by M. Şükrü Hanioğlu
A History of the Arab Peoples by Albert Hourani
Clausewitz by Michael Howard
The First World War by Michael Howard
1066 by David Howarth
War in European History by Michael Howard
Helen of Troy by Bethany Hughes
The Hemlock Cup by Bethany Hughes
Iron Kingdom by Christopher Clark
Bismarck by Jonathan Steinberg
Napoleon: A Political Life by Steven Englund
The Greeks by Ian Morris and Barry B. Powell
Potemkin by Simon Sebag Montefiore
Stalin by Simon Sebag Montefiore
Young Stalin by Simon Sebag Montefiore
Jerusalem by Simon Sebag Montefiore
To Be a Slave in Brazil by Katia M. De Queirós Mattoso
Stuart Britain by John Morrill
Rubens by Kristin Lohse Belkin
Over the Edge of the World by Laurence Bergreen
Columbus by Laurence Bergreen
Stalingrad by Antony Beevor
The Fall of Berlin 1945 by Antony Beevor
The Battle for Spain by Antony Beevor
D-Day by Antony Beevor
A History of the Arab Peoples by Albert Hourani
Hitler: 1889-1936 Hubris by Ian Kershaw
Hitler: 1936-1945 Nemesis by Ian Kershaw
The End by Ian Kershaw
The Revolutionary Career of Maximilien Robespierre by David P. Jordan
How the Irish Saved Civilization by Thomas Cahill
The Middle Ages by Morris Bishop
Hirohito by Herbert P. Bix

>> No.2327072

>World History continued

A Brief History of the Romans by Mary T. Boatwright, Daniel J. Gargola, and Richard J. A. Talbert
The Austrians by Gordon Brook-Shepherd
Plutarch's Lives
Histories by Herodotus
The Last Mughal by William Dalrymple
1215 by Danny Danziger and John Gillingham
Art Since 1940 by Jonathan Fineberg
The Great War for Civilisation by Robert Fisk
Egypt, Greece and Rome by Charles Freeman
Heinrich Himmler by Peter Longerich
No Simple Victory by Norman Davies
Vanished Kingdom by Norman Davies
African History by John Parker and Richard Rathbone
Genghis Khan by Jack Weatherford
China: Its History and Culture by W. Scott Morton and Charlton M. Lewis
Japan: Its History and Culture by W. Scott Morton and J. Kenneth Olenik
Early Modern Europe: An Oxford History
The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt
The Oxford History of Britain
The Oxford History of Christianity
The Oxford History of English
The Oxford History of Greece and the Hellenistic World
The Oxford History of Islam
The Oxford History of Mexico
The Oxford History of the Biblical World
The Oxford History of the Roman World
The Oxford History of World Cinema
The Oxford Illustrated History of Medieval Europe
The Oxford Illustrated History of Modern Europe
The History of the Medieval World by Susan Wise Bauer
History of the Muslim World to 1405 by Vernon O. Egger
Central Asia in World History by Peter B. Golden
Richard I by John Gillingham
Medieval Britain by John Gillingham and Ralph A. Griffiths
Herodotus by Jennifer T. Roberts
Alfred the Great by Justin Pollard
The Storm of War by Andrew Roberts
Twelve Days by Victor Sebestyen
Revolution 1989 by Victor Sebestyen
A History of Modern Israel by Colin Shindler
Bloodlands by Timothy Snyder
Mao: A Biography by Ross Terrill

>> No.2327089

>Computer Science
Art of Computer Programming Volumes 1-3 by Donald E. Knuth
The Art of Computer Programming by Donald E. Knuth

>Sociology
Sociology by Jeffrey C. Alexander and Kenneth Thompson
Sociology by Steve Bruce
Contemporary Sociological Theory & Its Classical Roots by George Ritzer

There are a lot of other books for sociology, but they're more niche things... and I'm a bit burned out to be honest. Sorry.

>> No.2327093

>>2327066
Yes that was my point.

>> No.2327214

>>2327043
>gypsies
>=/= jews

pick one

>> No.2327449

OP here. Listserv, I'm sorry I got caught up in the retardation going on ITT and didn't thank you properly. I'm compiling my reading list right now. Thanks nigga.

>> No.2327765

hey listserv, moar lists pls thx

>> No.2328112

BAMP

>> No.2328143

hey, OP, since nobody pointed this out explicitly, I just figured I'd step in and tell you that the austrian school of economics is kind of a joke. it's a fringe thing, libertarians, etc. I mean if you're a libertarian, fine, but I could see how you might read the books recommended by a couple people here and have a distorted view of the school's prominence.

>> No.2328166

>>2326921

Sociological Theory

- The social construction of Reality by Peter Berger and Thomas Luckmann
- The Court Society by Norbert Elias (sociological approach to history)

>> No.2328167
File: 60 KB, 400x400, 1326629409688.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Sociology
If by that you mean you want to make sense of human behaviour, here's an exhausting course on human thought process and how it's been interpreted through the history in different disciplines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNnIGh9g6fA&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=SP848F23
68C90DDC3D

By Robert Sapolsky in standford uni. Engaging, balanced and fun!

>> No.2328170

>>2328143
>the austrian school of economics is kind of a joke.
I disagree. The Austrian perspective is completely legitimate, and I make it no secret that I'm partial to it. Keynes Hayek by Nicholas Wapshott helps to explain why the Austrians have not been quite as vocal in modern academia. [Although the book doesn't explain the nature of the Austrian legacy fully, his telling of the conflict between Keynes and Hayek certainly explains much in the way of the foundation of much of modern economics.]

This article is also appropriate: http://thebrowser.com/interviews/peter-boettke-on-austrian-economics

There is a common tendency to want to treat economics like a science in a way that physics is a science and then to use that "scientific" knowledge to make public policy decisions. [F. A. Hayek wrote about it rather well - admittedly uncharacteristic of his usual writing - in the essay "Pretense of Knowledge," which can be found by a simple Google search.] The Austrian school challenged that fundamental flaw in the methodology of what still comprises much of modern economics. The vast majority of Austrian economists today, it is worth noting, are not quite so "Austrian" as their predecessors such as Mises and Menger. As Boettke points out in the aforementioned article, even Milton Friedman was not as austere in how "Austrian" is views were. Nevertheless, the Austrian school provides what I think are some of the most important lessons in economics. Many people treat it is a "fringe thing," including people in academia, but that is certainly not a good thing. It is intellectually irresponsible.

>> No.2328171

Economics: Wage Labour and Capital by Karl Marx
Das Kapital by Karl Marx
Imperialism: the highest stage of capitalism by V.I Lenin

Sociology: Anything at all by marx. Try German Ideology.

Education: Dumbing us Down by John Gatto

>>2326754

No this list is not serious, it's austrian economics

>> No.2328176

>>2328171
>>2328171
Lolololo

>> No.2328178

>>2328171
I also included general textbooks that are used widely from the introductory undergraduate to the introductory graduate level (Maknkiw's textbooks and the other books with "microeconomics" in the title). Naked Economics, among other books, is a solid introduction to the school of economics without being heavy-handed with the classical liberal stuff.

If you brush off the legitimacy of what I suggest and recommend nothing but Marx in return... well, I hardly see a need to finish that sentence. [Of course, that isn't to downplay the value of reading Marx. He was, of course, very influential. But recommending Marx sheerly for content to someone who wants to be more well-rounded in economics is clearly a foolish idea.]

>> No.2328180

>>2328178
Marx shouldnt be read because he was influential, marx should be read because he was right

>> No.2328181
File: 7 KB, 227x280, Anton Chekhov.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2328176
>mfw I realize I was probably being trolled.

>> No.2328188

>>2328180
You wish...
>>2328181
Cuz this mofo is fo real.

>> No.2328190

>>2328188
Great argument. Why was marx wrong?

>> No.2328203
File: 1.12 MB, 330x248, Popcorn-02-Stephen-Colbert.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oh boy here we go

>> No.2328231

Marx should be read for the same reason as Mein Kampf: to learn what's actually wrong with these ideologies rather than just being another person who ignorantly rejects them because they are supposed to socially.

It's important to read them AFTER developing good critical thinking skills. Then it's easy to follow along with something like the Communist Manifesto, because you'll ask yourself questions like "is it really appropriate to categorize humanity according to a binary relationship between two classes?" and "is dialectical materialism anything more than the obvious put in service to convince people of the incorrect?"

With the right educational background, these are interesting and enlightening topics. Just don't become one of those marxoteens who thinks that someone who raped his maid should be idolized as a champion of workers and women.

>> No.2328251

>>2328231

>that someone who raped his maid should be idolized as a champion of workers and women.

What. How would anyone who has read Marx conclude something like this?

>> No.2328264

>>2328251
Well he doesn't brag about it in his works, but he DID rape his maid, and he IS held by many as a champion of workers and women despite this fact. Now of course someone could have wonderful ideals and not personally live up to them, but when one of the chief criticisms of ideology that is derived from Marxism is that they are impractical it becomes very relevant.

>> No.2328267

>>2328231

>>>to learn what's actually wrong with these ideologies rather than just being another person who ignorantly rejects them because they are supposed to socially.

So much for reading with an open mind, and thinking for yourself.

Marx's conception of class is far more complex than binary, sonny boy. He identified class fractions, as well, such as the lumpenproletariat and the petit-bourgeois, who he actually championed as strategically important in the French revolution in 1848. The Communist Manifesto was necessary agit-prop. It was like reading Hatchet, Fahrenheit 451, etc. before you tackle Shakespeare. Congratulations, you have company of millions who just don't understand Marx. Even if you adhere to free-marketeering ideology (what is popular is good, it reflects what people want .i.e. demand), to be consistent, you must acknowledge Marx because the Communist Manifesto is the best-selling book of all time.

>> No.2328270

>>2328264

>Now of course someone could have wonderful ideals and not personally live up to them, but when one of the chief criticisms of ideology that is derived from Marxism is that they are impractical it becomes very relevant.

Not really. It's still an ad-hom. If he's wrong, he's wrong. He's not wrong because he raped his maid.

>> No.2328273

Before you do anything, you should actually just buy revision text book for all the subjects - then, do further reading on less structured texts.

For sociology, the best book by far is Napier Press Sociology.

Not sure about the others..but you have a very random selection there. Most of the things you've put - are already covered in other subjects you've noted....

>> No.2328274

>>2328267
oh god this post is worth so many lulz

> the Communist Manifesto is the best-selling book of all time.
>book about communism selling the most copies
>millions who just don't understand Marx.

>> No.2328281

Happy to be a source of your diminutive amusement.

Wanker.

>> No.2328286

>>2328267
An ideology isn't correct simply because it's popular, especially if that ideology is nothing more than a recruiting tool that allows would-be dictators to raise a peasant army. And this isn't even a perversion or a misinterpretation of communism. This is how Marx lived. The entire point of communism was to get him credibility with workers while allowing him to live an aristocratic lifestyle. It was an ideology invented for a purpose, and whatever real wisdom might be in there is completely incidental.

>> No.2328289

>>2328286

People really like ad-homming Marx around here.

I mean, I know Capital is kind of a hard read, but come on. Try to have some substance to your attacks, jeez.

>> No.2328290

>>2328274
you're a retard and you clearly only skimmed the post before replying with snark

congrats

>> No.2328293

>>2328190
labor theory of value?

being a filthy socialist?

>>2328231
wait, what was wrong with mein kampf?

>> No.2328298

>>2328286

First of all, I'm on your team regarding what is popular. If you really read between the lines of my post, you would have understood that that was a very subtle undercutting of neoliberal ideology.

Secondly,

>>>if that ideology is nothing more than a recruiting tool that allows would-be dictators to raise a peasant army

This is what is known as an "intentional fallacy." You are adducing intentions to Marx that are impossible to prove.

>> No.2328299

>>2328274
>understand marx

he's just a jewish communist tyrant, there isn't much to understand.
His "economics" is a joke, it's like reading freud for psychology. It's just a jew attacking the basis of western civilization.

Where the hell do you get the communist manifesto as the best selling book of all time anyways?

>>2328289
lol, if you take marx seriously and actually pay attention to anything you read, then you are obviously one hell of a gullible retard.

>> No.2328308

>>2328299

Besides Mao's red book, which was distributed freely, millions upon millions of people bought the comm manifesto. Remember that China is (and has been for a long time) by far the world's largest country in terms of population.

India's communist party has a membership of 50 million.

Ho Chi Minh's popular support in Vietnam = millions of sales for Communist Manifesto as Well.

Use your brain, egghead.

>> No.2328318

>>2328308
So you have no figures and just making a worthless assertion?

50 million commies in india? no surprise it's such a shithole.

>> No.2328323

>>2328318
The Communist Manifesto has sold over 500 million copies.

>> No.2328326

>>2328323
citation needed

god i fucking hate the kikes, just for the cancer of communism on this world, all the kikes deserve to die.

>> No.2328329

>>2328326
>>2328318

ooo, so deep & edgy.

>> No.2328330

>>2328329
so you have no citation?

Well, i say 2 billion copies of Mein Kampf have been sold, so hitler was obviously far more influential and legitimate.

>> No.2328331
File: 91 KB, 832x494, Donor card.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2328299
I get the feeling you haven't read any indepth Marx. Try reading something other than Brainwashed Dumbasses Guide to the Communist Manifesto

>> No.2328335

>>2328308
To be fair Ho didn't really have popular support. The Vietnamese trotskyists did more work to get France out of Vietnam than Ho's Stalinists did

>> No.2328336

>>2328331
>a commie
>calling someone else a brainwashed dummy

>> No.2328339

>>2328331
>Marx.
>Deep.

>Pages and pages of some potato farmer's ranting on Czars and blaming the West.

For fuck's sake, /lit/. This is embarassing.

>> No.2328341

>>2328336
Currently every major power system (media included) is under a capitalist system. (China is state-capitalist). Who does the brainwashing if not for the media and the state? Fucking retard

>> No.2328344

>>2328335

Yeah, because you were in Vietnam in the sixties, right? I thought so.

>> No.2328346

>Economics

Start with Samuelson's "Economics". I just know that someone is tempted to go on about the economic errors in Samuelson, but that's not the point. You shouldn't approach Samuelson as scripture, but you should be familiar with Samuelson because it is a great influence on economics and it is great for learning the basic concepts and understanding economic discussions. After you know Samuelson you will be well equipped to learn about heterodox and orthodox economics and decide whether Samuelson was correct or not for yourself.

>Finance

Try "Paul Wilmott Introduces Quantitative Finance". There is maths in there but it shouldn't be an impediment to anyone who is in college.

As I'm not really well acquainted with most of the other subjects you listed I'll go out on a limb and recommend some books on other subjects you might enjoy. "Cognitive Science" by Bermudez is a good introduction if you're interested in the mind. If you're interested in philosophy then "Metaphysics: A contemporary introduction" by Loux and "Introduction to contemporary epistemology" by Dancy are two good introductory books. With computer science I don't know much outside of AI and the more mathematically oriented parts of CS, but "Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach" is the canonical reference for learning academic AI.

>> No.2328348

>>2328339
Wtf? Marx was never a potato farmer nor was he poor during the height of his fame, I've read most of Marx and I've never seen any excessive ranting against the tsar

>> No.2328349

>>2328341
State-capitalism meaning "socialism."

China's far more fascist than it is capitalist.

>> No.2328350

>>2328341
lol hahah buttmad commie spotted

oh god my failed ideology is ignored everywhere, whyyyyyyyy

Capitalism is the natural order, even animals practice capitalism albeit with no formal property rights.

Even in communist countries they operated on capitalism.

>> No.2328351

>>2328298
>This is what is known as an "intentional fallacy." You are adducing intentions to Marx that are impossible to prove.
>The Communist Manifesto was necessary agit-prop.

Marx really was trying to get one over on those stupid proles who he thought he had to manipulate into his ideology because they wouldn't embrace it if he was forthcoming.

>> No.2328352

>>2328348
>He wasn't poor when people were buying his book!

...yes?

>> No.2328353

>>2328344
>War of vietnamese liberation from the french
>sixties
please just leave before I start getting depressed

>> No.2328354
File: 33 KB, 550x367, 48888.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2328349
>Fascist
>Capitalist
>implying there is a difference

>> No.2328356

>>2328349
I don't think you know what fascist means

>> No.2328358

>>2328354
>Doesn't know what fascism is.

You've read the Communist Manifesto!

>> No.2328362

>>2328356
State-sponsored socialism.

What else?

>> No.2328365

>>2328350
>>2328335

Animals practice capitalism? What kind of half-baked analogical reasoning is that?

Lemmings commit suicide en masse. Therefore, that's the natural order. Go kill yourself, douche. You cannot use Reason. Therefore you are little better than an animal. I think you should be killed and eaten by your betters.

>> No.2328367

>>2328362
>Fascists seek rejuvenation of their nation based on commitment to an organic national community where its individuals are united together as one people in national identity by suprapersonal connections of ancestry, culture, and blood through a totalitarian single-party state that seeks the mass mobilization of a nation through discipline, indoctrination, physical education, and eugenics.

Of course, if you've read marx, you would think everyone who opposes anything to do with communism, which is supposedly designed to help workers, is an evil fascist or capitalist.

>> No.2328369

>>2328365
>Doesn't know what capitalism is.
>Creates fallacious counter-argument in an attempt to stop the discussion.

>> No.2328372

>>2328365
>Lemmings commit suicide en masse.
no they don't.

>commies
>claim a monopoly on "reason"
Oh goodness, did reddit already close down for sopa or something?

>> No.2328374

>>2328367
>Implying Marx wasn't referring to the Germans, whom he hated and were ironically socialist, when he wrote this.

How do I into history.

>> No.2328377

>>2328369
>>2328369
>>2328372

Copy-catters. You have no originality. Go die in a hurry.

Oh, the iron-knee-fist!

>> No.2328379
File: 69 KB, 1375x729, 1326568337108.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This state capitalism = fascism = socialism = communism talk is painful to read. There's quite a lot of complexity in these things, and trying to simplify the world as a set of black and white dichotomies is honestly something that intellectual trash like critical theorists do. Don't do that. Don't be like a critical theorist.

>> No.2328401

>>2328379

authoritarian personality detected. Telling us what to do and stuff...

>> No.2328464

read works by Bourdieu, Braudel, Hobsbawm, Foucault, Althusser, Derrida, Deleuze, Lyotard. Most of these deal with topics in your list.

Some personal interests:
Huizinga's Homo Ludens. It's about one specific topic: the role of play in culture.

Barthes' Empire of Signs: Roland Barthes' reflections on Japan which he wrote as he visited Tokyo.

>> No.2328478

keynes was a genius

economists have luckily come further today, but he was the foremost economist of his time

>> No.2328493

>>2328478
>rejects say's law
>genius

>> No.2328497

>>2328493
>able to think outside of unchallenged dogmas

>> No.2328520

>>2326804
>Arab Culture

Culture
>Edward Said - "Orientalism"
>Ibrahim Abu-Lughod - "The Arab Rediscovery of Europe"

History/Politics
>David Fromkin - "A Peace to End All Peace"
>Roger Owen - "State, Power, and Politics in the Making of the Modern Middle East"
>Posusney/Angrist (ed.) - "Authoritarianism in the Middle East"

It'll probably be a while before we see a worthwhile analysis of the recent revolutions.

Religion
>Seyyed Hossein Nasr - "Ideals and Realities of Islam"
>Charles Le Gai Eaton - "Islam and the Destiny of Man"

>> No.2328523

http://www.openculture.com/freeonlinecourses

>> No.2328560

>>2328520
>It'll probably be a while before we see a worthwhile analysis of the recent revolutions.

What do you need to analyze? Islamics riot, the west supports them over a secular government, and now they are islamic theocracies.

this is because the west is run by traitors

>> No.2328581

>>2328560
>What do you need to analyze? Islamics riot, the west supports them over a secular government, and now they are islamic theocracies.

Yeah... no. Who let /pol/ in here?

>> No.2328599

Just look at what textbooks your uni uses for courses and then read the reviews on amazon to see if anyone recommends something better. Try to get into library.nu or otherwise pirate the shit out of these overpriced fucking books.

Krugman's economics textbook is very good (it's all the same shit basically though)

>> No.2328630

>>2328599
>krugman
lol

>> No.2328633

Fiktion:
Animal Farm, George Orwell
Fountainhead, Ayn Rand
Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
The Pearl, Steinbeck
Grapes of wrath, Steinbeck
To Kill A Mockingbird, Harper Lee
Slaughterhouse-five, Kurt Vonnegut
The Trial, Franz Kafka
Catcher in the rye, J.D. Salinger

Artiklar/Journalistik:
Politics and the English Language, George Orwell
Red star over China, Edgar Snow
The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11, Lawrence Wright
Gulag Archipelago" by Solzhenitsyn.
Memoirs of the Second World War, Winston Churchill
Narratives of Empire, Gore Vidal
Too Big too fail, Andrew Ross Sorkin
Bearing the Cross: Martin Luther King, Jr., And The Southern Christian Leadership Conference, David Garrow

Klassiker:
The Republic, Platon
Wealth of Nations Adam Smith
Das Kapital, Karl Marx
The Prince, Machiavelli
Art of War by Sun Tzu
Democracy in the Americas by Alexis the Tocqueville
Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
Common Sense, Thomas Paine

Framtid:
Pale Blue Dot, Carl Sagan

Politisk Ekonomi:
David Friedman's "Machinery of Liberty"
The Triumph of Conservatism, Gabriel Kolko

Ekonomisk Teori:
The General Theory by Keynes
Socialism: An economic and Sociological analysis by Ludwig von Mises

Osorterat:
Mein Kampf, Adolf Hitler
What is property, Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
The Second sex, Simone de Beauvoir
Hobbes, Leviathan
Anne Franks dagbok, Anne Frank
A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr. , MLK

Poesi:
A Cloud in Trousers by Vladimir Mayakovsky

Filmer:
The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara
Citizen Kane, Orson Welles
Dr Zhivago, Palsternak
The Great Dictator, Chaplin

>> No.2328637

>>2328630

that feel when I'm a libertarian and you austrian morons embarrass me

it's just a basic econ book. Mankiw's is good too but not as pretty imo

>> No.2328646

>>2328637
krugman is a joke.

>> No.2328650

>>2328646
ur a joke

>> No.2328805

>>2328350

Wow. Just fucking wow.

>> No.2328814
File: 17 KB, 297x350, polls_computer_out_window.jpg_4257_840365.jpeg_poll_xlarge..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2328350

>> No.2329227

>>2328814
>>2328805
you have a rebuttle?

>> No.2329245

>>2329227
A rebuttal would imply logical points that could be argued against, which your slew of retardation is entirely absent of. Blindly railing against Karl Marx because "HURR CUMMUNISM IS BAD BUT IDK Y XDDD" and screaming "ANIMALS PRACTICE CAPITALISM LOLOLOL" then pretending it makes some kind of sense cannot be rebuted.

>> No.2329247

>>2329245
Oh yeah, I'm not even the guy you were adressing, I'm just another /lit/ user who thinks you're a retard.

>> No.2329248

>>2329245
Karl Marx has been disproven completely by others even during his lifetime.
Further, just a simple glance at what his tyrannical concepts turn into would obviously mean that his ideas belong in the garbage.

I was just trying to stress that capitalism is the natural order, any time you trade with someone else, you are practicing capitalism. It is not a system, it is not an economic policy.

>> No.2329260

>>2329248
>tyrannical concepts

Oh God, you are fucking retarded. The Soviet Union wasn't an accurate example of Karl Marx's idealogies AT ALL, despite what you may have been taught in the American public schooling system. Although Communism is indeed a horrendous economic idealogy, it should still be studied to avoid complete ignorance, such as that so flamboyantly displayed by you, and is still a valid sociologic platform, because Marx did understand economics and did understand sociology. Please read Karl Marx's works before pretending you have a clue.

>> No.2329262

>>2329260
>Marx did understand economics and did understand sociology
hahahaha

you know that he believed in the labor theory of value?
And he rejected human nature completely!

>> No.2329318

Keep a wide berth of competing theories. Some start with origins (reading Marx and Weber, then moving into more modern views).

Sift the trace from the wheat, so to speak.

>> No.2329437

Some general-knowledge-how-the-world-works heavy stuff but totally worth it:

The Prize by Yergin
McMafia by Glenny
Mitrokhin Archive both volumes by Andrew (editor)

Those three books alone require at least half a year to study thoroughly but its worth it.