[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature


View post   

File: 227 KB, 900x900, channels4_profile.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
23247683 No.23247683 [Reply] [Original]

>/lit/ recommends "Write Conscious" as a great McCarthy critic.

>Checks out recent video for serious analysis.

>Claims McCarthys books are about how southern evangelicals are hypocrites because they're capitalist

>Also, that McCarthy is a reedit atheist who hates God because he hates his Dad.

>Says none of the great authors were Christians.

WTF is this guys problem?

>> No.23247726

>>23247683
>/lit/ recommends "Write Conscious" as a great McCarthy critic.
I've never seen anyone recommending this channel.
>Claims McCarthys books are about how southern evangelicals are hypocrites because they're capitalist
lol insane take
>Also, that McCarthy is a reedit atheist who hates God because he hates his Dad.
That's probably true. Mac is a reddit materialist atheist.

>> No.23248024

>>23247683
I've seen some of this guy's videos. Notionally he's doing a great thing, talking about serious and literary topics even though it's not getting him tons of views. Some of what he has to say is interesting and important. I do think however his content could be more serious, less mass-produced, less-clickbaity and more original, and he might find a better audience. I don't understand the attempts by some people to produce videos on intellectual content and then package them in the same clickbait, manufactured, mass-produced packages that the rest of YT has, entirely going against the call for excellence and originality that is part of their own message. I understand notionally that they're wanting to mediate between the intellectual and commercial but the way he's going about it seems like a profound misunderstanding of his intended audience. If this guy calmed down and didn't produce so many "hot takes" for the sake of productivity and instead took his time to make thoughtful, nuanced products, then he wouldn't alienate the audience who are attracted to writers like Wallace and McCarthy and his other interests. He doesn't even seem to follow his own advice about not dumbing down your work. I think he should focus more on writing than booktube anyway -- if you're not going to be making money from either then at least do the thing you believe is actually important.

>> No.23248027

>>23247683
He shat on wendigoon and then deleted the video kek

>> No.23248348

>>23247683
The man is literally a retard. He's in the same vein as filmbros back in the 2010s. He seems to think this mainstream and accessible writer(s) (he also such DFW's cock from time to time) are a statement to his intellectual superiority.
Although I do admit his videos are quite comfy and he seems to be having a good time in general, so good on him.

>> No.23248369

>>23248024
He just wants to make money, but fails to realize that, unless you're making mass market content, clickbaiting doesn't help.
People who want to enjoy quality content will click on, see you say 'WHAT'S UP GUYS, DON'T FORGET TO LIKE, SUBSCRIB-.'
and click off.