[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 423 KB, 900x749, 1 VKI0TQhaTamYHBAxoedohA.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
23247563 No.23247563 [Reply] [Original]

So how the fuck do I actually get into Marty Heidegger? His writing is notoriously dense and it is very difficult for me. Any tips?

>> No.23247609

>>23247563
His 20s lecture courses, with Being & Time plopped in when he wrote it. Was just looking at one of his late 20s courses (Basic Problems of Phenomenology, which, actually, contains some of the material that was supposed to make up the rest of B&T), and it's impressive how clear he can be in his engagement with other thinkers, his spelling out of arguments, his objections and charitable counter-objections, and how clearly he can make the bearing of the issues felt.

Some of the lecture courses are Greek heavy, and volume-to-volume the translators differ on whether to translate it for the reader when Heidegger doesn't offer a translation of his own, so be warned. But maybe the clearest translation of a 20s lecture course is Thomas Sheehan's translation of the 1926 Logic lecture course Heidegger did right before grinding out B&T. That, and both The Concept of Time and the History of the Concept of Time are very clear and relatively accessible ways into B&T, since the material from those basically ends up in B&T in a more technical form, and you get to see him build it up and work out the material. For later Heidegger, make it the Bremen lectures from the late 40s.

>> No.23248010

>>23247563
>Marty
disgusting angloid bastardization of his name

>> No.23248089

>>23247609
Thanks Anon

>> No.23248093

>>23247563
How familiar are you with philosophy in general? If you don't have a fairly decent grasp on philosophy in general and both ancient Greek philosophy + early modern philosophy + Kant, then it's going to be impossible to understand why you should care about Heidegger's critique or where to situate his ideas in the grand scheme of things. He's a meta-philosopher first and foremost IMO.

>> No.23248283

>>23247563
Read Being and Time along with the following commentaries to whatever degree they're necessary:

Being-in-the-World: A Commentary on Heidegger's Being and Time, Division I (Hubert L. Dreyfus) [easiest to understand from a "traditional" perspective]
A Commentary on Heidegger's Being and Time (Michael Gelven) [most thorough]
Heidegger's 'Being and Time': A Reader's Guide (William Blattner) [best background]

You won't pick up everything in his writing on the first read-through. Just let it wash over you and try to pick out what you can. I promise that you will eventually start to find your way through the text more and more. You can't approach Heidegger like a "normal" philosopher where you can understand each thing he says as building blocks of a logical argument. After that text, I suggest reading these:

Poetry, Language, Thought
Basic Writings: Ten Key Essays Plus the Introduction to Being and Time
Introduction to Metaphysics
Contributions to Philosophy (From Enowning) [read this last along with Daniela Vallega-Neu's book introducing it]

The more you understand Aristotle, Kant, Hegel, Nietzsche, and Husserl, the more you will appreciate Heidegger. But you don't have to have read the entire history of western philosophy beforehand to start reading him. But I would at least suggest reading the fragments of Parmenides and Heraclitus before reading his 1930s works.

>> No.23248297

>>23248283
Forgot this: Julian Young has two books on later Heidegger. One on his philosophy of art and one on his later philosophy generally. I have trouble with a few of his interpretations, but he's probably the best window into his later thought. Read those along with Poetry, Language, Thought.

>> No.23248782

>>23247563
>purports to write about everyday Dasein
>nothing in B&T about friendship, women, taking walks, food, the weather, working a job
seriously why read heidegger at all

>> No.23249912

>>23248283
>Dreyfus