[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 564 KB, 1920x1080, 173556959730000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
23234575 No.23234575 [Reply] [Original]

/lit/ has produced multiple collaborative projects and periodicals over the years. Many of these projects are now defunct, and the few that are still active seem to have uncertain trajectories. There are also solo writers who frequent /lit/ and—for better or for worse—their namefagging and shilling has impacted the culture of this board.

This thread is for the discussion of the history of /lit/ writing and the future of /lit/. To those that have been involved in previous /lit/ collaborative projects, such as The Lit Quarterly, Pinecone, The April Review, miniMAG and &amp: what were your experiences like? Does the drama and infighting surrounding so many of these /lit/ collaborative projects inevitably result in their dissolution? Do you think that /lit/ has anything valuable to offer for aspiring writers, in terms of critique or support?

Additionally: Are there any new projects in the works? What do you think is next for the so-called /lit/ renaissance? And now that a /lit/ author has finally gotten a mainstream book deal with a major publishing house, do you think that more of our authors are likely to see similar success?

Mega archive of /lit/ periodicals:
mega.nz/folder/2gsHSSbA#Sl46P4LljGlk9mnpAf3Mlw

>> No.23234580
File: 372 KB, 990x1583, befbest.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23234575
Who is going to drop the next book?

>> No.23234587

Zulu's Jungle?

>> No.23234609

>>23234580
RJC is rereleasing Sharts

>> No.23234707

>>23234609
Mind showing the guy a bit of respect?

>> No.23234711

>>23234707
>t.Ryan

>> No.23234715
File: 852 KB, 4080x3060, 20240316_010748.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23234575
As someone who keeps an eye out for these kinds of things, not just on /lit/ but also the other hobby boards ive spent time in over the years, many of the collaborative attempts on this board, and attempts at a forming a creative movement here, fail from the core; that is, not due (or just due) to the lack of attention they get, but because from the very beginning they miss the point.

Just because all contributers happen to have met on 4chan doesn't necessarily imbue the project with the natural right to claim that it is a freeborn child of 4chan, or part of some '/lit/scene'. There is the image board on the left and the collection of works on the right. How does what happen on the left have any influence on the collective right?

Like, who got all these people together from 4chan and decided the creative and /lit/ thing to do was to recreate weird tales? I know people here like lovecraft - i do too - but is that what really distinguishes this place from other reading/literature communities? If ive misunderstood how that project came about, why tie it to this board then? Say what you want about this pit of rot, it has a tense, male outlier energy with a very particular frame of reference due to its place on the internet. Again, im not trying to shit on people having fun by writing, but what im saying is just what comes to mind when i see people insist on a certain work's qualification as a /lit/ cultural work. Renaissance painters weren't renaissance painters because they happened to be alive in italy in the 15-16th century. There is a common string of thought and practice underlying all their work that seperates them from what comes before and after. Join any of these discord servers and there are these '/lit/ writers' who if you look at their work (some of it even published!) its about their life in dakota or something and growing up.

The Moby Dick /lit/ edition is exactly what the ideas should be like. You can recognise its from here page 1. &amp had the right energy. Behead all satans and mike ma and all the other shit that actually get mentioned here naturalistically, whether you like the work or not, are clearly texts that have a connection to this site in character. I like Minimag, but its mentioned in the OP because the guy who runs it browses here? More like Instamag.

>> No.23234720

>>23234580
how fitting Jason uses a turd metaphor to describe his writing

>> No.23234762

>>23234715
TLDR: its not you who makes the innovative, punk, underground literary scene; your admirers 10 years from now are supposed to mark that out for you. If your work could come from anywhere, and there is no closed sphere of influence, thats not going to happen.

Also stop using discord. These 4chan-to-discord transitions turn 75% of posters into crybabies and drama queens every single time ive seen it happen. And ive seen it happen across several boards since like 2018. I dont care if you doxxed or got doxxed or what, you sound like a woman. The only real knowledge this image board has is that jannies are to be hated, and so removing the janny-poster divide is a fatal error.

>> No.23234828

>>23234762
Everyone on this board uses discord. Plus, it takes forever to post here. This captcha shit.

>> No.23234926

>>23234720
I'd put Black Eye Friday up against any of the slop you've ever written.

>> No.23234969

Why do you keep making this stupid fucking thread?

>> No.23234970

>>23234969
As a warning for other writers to avoid this place.

>> No.23234993

>>23234969
It's probably Jason who's been reposting it to shill his books and get attention

>> No.23235023
File: 145 KB, 1079x1273, 1711607914894885.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23234993
Clearly people here like conflict. I post here because it keeps me creatively motivated. I know some people seethe when I release another book, which is why I am busting my ass on finishing my next novel. I really like a shorter format of a novella. Hemingway still called his short books novels. You don't need a ton of prose for a novel I don't think.

>> No.23235031

>>23235023
Jason Bryan, what do you think about these posts:
>>23234715
>>23234762
Do you think anon has made a good point or do you disagree? I can't wait to see what sort of response you come up with when you realize you are rhetorically out of your depth and don't even know enough about the subject to formulate an opinion on books like Behead All Satans and Harassment Architecture, two very short counterculture works which have received almost universal acclaim from the 4chan reader base.

>> No.23235124

>>23225916 #
Tooky has a book?

>> No.23235145

>>23235031
Those books were popular, I'm sure, but time is moving so fast right now and I'm traumatized by all of the drone kill videos.

Been working on an untitled book about a young eastern european guy and his family and the horrors of drone warfare. For there being two highly political and deadly wars happening at the moment, there is so little anti-war music going on.

>> No.23235498

>>23235124
fuck off David no one is buying your trash.

>> No.23235504

>>23234715
>4chan doesn't necessarily imbue the project with the natural right to claim that it is a freeborn child of 4chan, or part of some '/lit/scene
Actually it does/will/is. This is an internet forum and I can do literally whatever I want lmao

>> No.23235511

>>23235504
this is the real redpill

>> No.23235647 [DELETED] 

>>23235504
>>23235511
This is pretty much what i was expecting the retort to be; disinterested self-confidence is very trendy these days on 4chan. It doesn't really work though when you're trying to establish a kind of cultural allegiance.

The 6'2 quarterback can perform seppuko on his testicles and wear a dress and proclaim himself a woman, and thats all very brave and stunning, but as a social category that doesnt really mean much unless other people can see the connection too. It also doesnt obscure the objective falsehood. You're not gaining anything by associating yourself with /lit/, so its not like im even complaining that you're grifting. I just see your honest attempts and found it interesting enough to point out your faulty presupposition. Its not that i think you should give up: i think you always keep writing. But reasses what your writing is and what relation it has to what you claim it belongs to. There is so much good material to mine for writing on 4chan I only see wasted time in unpropitious effort.

>> No.23235710

>>23234926
i could put it up against the massive dump i just took, and still come out ahead against dr. fuck and the gay bicycle fetish

>> No.23235716

>>23234828
the captcha only takes a few seconds. are you admitting you find them difficult to solve? they're only supposed to filter out robots...you're exactly the sort of writer who will be replaced with AI.

>> No.23235738

>>23234575
I rarely post on /lit/ but did you guys ever do another annotation like with Moby Dick? I still display it proudly on my shelf

>> No.23235856

>>23235647
>It doesn't really work though when you're trying to establish a kind of cultural allegiance
You're late to the party there bud. There already IS an established cultural allegiance, not that that was ever the telos. The telos was the production of supreme art, and the /lit/ renaissance monocle organically arose long after a community spontaneously congregated adjunct to said art. Sorry, crab. Go cry elsewhere.

>> No.23235965 [DELETED] 

>>23235856
This attitude isn't shielding you from anything. To be clear: it doesn't matter at all to me whether you continue as is or reform. I have nothing to cry or complain about. You have no power or influence. There is not an existing niche readerbase outside of the group of patrons/writers who support each other. I think its great you collaborate to make art, but if you're serious about your work being /lit/-adjacent then you should want that to MEAN something. You are free to invoke the board as identity all you want, that point has been proudly shouted out already, but if the connection is purely nominal why would it appeal to anyone here more than any other place? Despite what the fanatic in this thread seems to insist, the excerpt i read from black eye friday in another thread was high quality. Good prose and amusing. I would read it. Does it embody this image board in any way? Nah.

>organically arose
Don't make me laugh.

>> No.23235971

>>23235738
I saw someone posting about maybe doing another one a few months back. Can't remember what book it was gonna be though.

>> No.23235977

>>23235965
>thinks Jason Bryan's prose is high quality
opinion discarded

>> No.23236002 [DELETED] 

>>23235977
Honestly curious, why do you hate this guy so much? I can't believe this isn't a personal vendetta given how obsessively you're tracking this thread.

>> No.23236031

>>23236002
NTA but he's a self-aggrandizing blowhard who is way too into himself

>> No.23236091

>>23236002
Jason Bryan is disliked by essentially everyone who posts in these threads because of the way that he conducts himself. He will openly brag about the fact that he does not read, and in fact has not read a single book in years. He has no regard for /lit/ and no interest in genuinely supporting or improving the writing community, he simply treats the posters here as a captive audience on which he can impose himself. He claims to support /lit/ writers but has not read a single thing that any of them have produced, and will go on vicious rants slandering any /lit/ writer who is even slightly critical of his behavior.

He constantly shits up the thread with annoying off topic posts about his life, goes on unhinged reactionary tirades about politics, and spams ugly AI generated art. He will derail any thread he shows up in, killing any hope of good discussion, and has on multiple occasions spammed a productive thread to the bump limit within a matter of hours while contributing nothing of worth. He is a personality disordered individual who will go on unhinged narcissistic rants, posting pictures of himself and crudely boasting about his alleged sexual exploits. He constantly brags about the fact that he once rented a loft in a trendy neighborhood of Vancouver, drove a cool car, and fucked hot women, despite the fact that he currently lives in a filthy rodent infested shack and drives a thirty year old broken down van after being kicked out by the mother of his child for being a neglectful deadbeat. He is a narrow-minded philistine with an unearned superiority complex, and he only resorted to promoting himself on 4chan after being banned from every other social media platform. To add to that, his writing is almost comically bad. That about sums it up.

>> No.23236197

>>23236091
...and yet JB doesn't spend the entirety of his waking life researching fucking Gardner like some weird fag stalker.

>> No.23236226

>>23236197
Nothing I said required any research. All of this information was imposed upon me against my will by seeing him constantly fucking talking about himself for months in these threads.

>> No.23236257

>>23236197
>t. Jason

>> No.23236517
File: 461 KB, 568x644, saturn worshippers.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23236091

>> No.23236570

>>23236091
He's not even in the discord server, what are you talking about?

>> No.23236572

>>23236197
given how much frank spews details of his life, it's hardly any effort at all. it'd be more difficult if he didn't enjoy talking about himself so much

>> No.23236576

>>23236570
No one mentioned Discord. That was a description of the shit that he posts in every &amp or /lit/ writing related thread. Please use your brain.

>> No.23236582

>>23234575
Do any of the self styled writers itt actually read books? Like real books

>> No.23236596

>>23236091
I’ve been trying to be open minded, trying to see him as a self created character, a persona, because no one can have such a lack of self awareness. As you’ve said, the /pol/-tier rants, the I used to be the man 20 years ago (aka I had sex and a car…a Vancouver loft too!), churning out a book a month, the fact he doesn’t read, his defensiveness, his narcissism, his delusions…it all creates what has to be a character, right?

>> No.23236597

>>23236582
name 10 real books if you're so great

>> No.23236599

>>23236570
>tranny automatically assumes that posts on /lit/ must be connected to Discord somehow

>> No.23236652 [DELETED] 

>>23234575
The fact that the post with the most replies in this thread is the one with the seething about some discordtranny tripfag and not the effortpost that critiques the whole scene shows how much none of you are going to get anywhere

>> No.23236759 [DELETED] 
File: 7 KB, 183x275, Woolston2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23234580
I've got a new one coming out in a few months

>> No.23236784

>>23236759
Unfortunately you're getting ripped off by a vanity publisher who prints with Lulu and takes a massive share of the profits while doing next to nothing to promote your work. Unironically, you'd be better off self-publishing your next book. You'd almost certainly make more money.

>> No.23236847

>>23236582

Define a "real" book. If you mean anything on Bloom's Canon List, then yes.

I sleep with a copy of The Iliad under my pillow and I have read it countless times. I have a full tattoo sleeve on my left arm of Dante's Divine Comedy and I have also read that countless times. I took two years of Latin and three years of Italian so I could try and translate Virgil and Dante.

Ego sum RJC.

If you don't count postmodern, metafiction, or hypertextual books as real then I guess the style I like writing in doesn't count as "real" and that's fine by me.

>> No.23236851 [DELETED] 

>>23236847
No one asked. No one cares. Shut up about yourself and fuck off.

>> No.23236921

>>23236851
>total self-awareness fail

>> No.23237132

>>23236652
Your "effortpost" was trash. Furthermore, you talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded. Have a nice day.

>> No.23237160

>>23234575
From what I’ve seen and my honest advice for the little clique here:

Quit the drama. No one can take any of you seriously. Don’t worry about getting the last word in or getting defensive. If you are serious you have to move on

When given criticism give both positive and negative. That one anon is a honking clown but he’s right that this place is infested with crabs. All blackpill, doomer, misery loves company, and resentful punks here just looking for a valve to blow off steam. The tone of this site will never lend itself well towards criticism. The “keeping it real” pretty much is always someone looking to unload on someone else. Gotta throw in some encouragement or recognition if there is to be any success here

Flip side is learn to take criticism. If someone is insulting ignore them. Lots of people think they are open minded and open to criticism but will always take the stance that they are right and their work is good. A real writer should always be looking to improve. Trust your readers. The ones looking to spew venom will be obvious, ignore them

>> No.23237253

>>23237160
>If someone is insulting ignore them.
>The ones looking to spew venom will be obvious, ignore them
In general I agree with you, but I don't agree with this. If you receive harsh, acerbic criticism then make sure to honestly read and evaluate it, don't just dismiss it outright. Sometimes, the things that hurt the most to hear are the things that you know are true but don't want to admit. I've had people say pretty nasty things about my own writing on occasion, and often I found that there was more than a grain of truth to that feedback, even though it wasn't delivered kindly.

To add to that, writers who want to offer their work up in these threads should show some humility. If you seem like a tactless braggart then people are naturally going to want to take you down a peg. If you want unbiased and constructive feedback then don't sour people's opinion of you before they even get the chance to read your work.

>> No.23237283

>>23237253
I suppose I should have been more specific. For instance, “your pacing is shit” is insulting but constructive in 4chan’s own way. “Your writing is shit” is just insulting with nothing to work on. Something like “your pacing is shit but it’s an interesting premise” gives the writer something to work on and something that he’s doing good. There is more motivation if it seems criticism is given in good faith and some type of encouragement or some thread to follow.

Regarding your second paragraph I think you’re talking about that one poster, right? I said above but I almost want him to be a type of performative art, like a character created who writes books as the character and relating to the character. It could go deep. He’s probably just a clown though. Anons need to ignore him

>> No.23237312

>>23237283

We teach students as young as kindergarten to give Kind-Specific-Helpful (KSH) feedback for writing from their peers. It's no surprise to me that most who give feedback here aim for the jugular first since they thrive on anonymity to keep their insecurities safe and hidden.

>> No.23237327

>>23237312
>they thrive on anonymity to keep their insecurities safe and hidden
If you dislike the anonymous nature of 4chan then why do you post here and constantly shill your work?

>> No.23237802

>>23237327
Because he's been banned from every other social media site in existence.

>> No.23237829

>>23237802

I'm on every social media platform including the newer ones like Bluesky and Threads.

>> No.23237995

>>23237829
Of course you are.

>> No.23238657

>>23234715
>Renaissance painters weren't renaissance painters because they happened to be alive in italy in the 15-16th century
actually it's a pretty big part of it regardless of how you slice the apple

>> No.23238988

>>23237829
>threads
did you remember to turn out the light?

>> No.23239439

>>23238657
Yeah, your cultural environment definitely shapes the art you create

>> No.23239498

Would any of you be interested in beta-reading my story i wrote?

>> No.23239526

>>23239498
Sure, post the link

>> No.23239584

«REI», «Deep&Edgy», and Caterpillar («Butterfly»), constitute the bulk of what has made this board worthwhile.

>> No.23239737

>>23239584
who?

>> No.23239935

>>23239584
Only one Ive heard of is butterfly

>> No.23239967

>>23239935
And what exactly did she do that was noteworthy, other than being female on 4chan?

>> No.23239985

>>23239967
Dunno, why dont you ask >>23239584?

>> No.23240203

>>23239985
because i don't actually care

>> No.23240219 [DELETED] 

>>23239439
>>23238657
YEAH YOUR CULTURAL ENVIRONMENT IS SUPPOSED TO SHAPE YOUR ART. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT NONE OF THAT IS EVIDENT IN THE WRITING HERE.

>> No.23240233

>>23240219
Culture here is non-existent. /lit/ has the same culture as greater 4chan and 4chan has the culture of “not reddit”, whatever that means. If you want to be taken seriously as a writer you should leave. 4chan has just become a place to drag others and put forth politically incorrect opinions. A good book can’t be made off of that

>> No.23240339

>>23240233
>4chan has just become a place to drag others and put forth politically incorrect opinions. A good book can’t be made off of that
Why not..no really. Why not? What are you the Art Expert lmao

>> No.23240343 [DELETED] 

>>23240233
>/lit/ has the same culture as greater 4chan and 4chan has the culture of “not reddit”, whatever that means
If you just want to be difficult and pretend like there is no difference of character in the posts here compared to a place like reddit then fine, but you just sound like an angry child, like everyone in this thread. Yeah yeah im not one to moan about reddit either, nor do i lionise the 4chan attitude, BUT ITS NOT ME CLAIMING TO BE A /LIT/ WRITER. you parade how /lit/ renaissance you are and then when someone points out that means nothing in your writing all i get is "its not like i care haha, what even is 4chan anyway" YES YOU CLEARLY DO CARE FAGGOT HAHAHABA "/LIT/ RENAISSANCE"

>If you want to be taken seriously as a writer you should leave
Dumb fuck what are you even talking about?

>4chan has just become a place to drag others and put forth politically incorrect opinions. A good book can’t be made off of that
Booboo playing dumb how witty - 4chan is over guise !!! Nigger do i care? Young + very male userbase. Unsympathetic in character. Somewhat archaic image board format, barebones, with wider swings of quality. Very shitpostery that wouldnt be allowed elsewhere but also occasional gems. LEAVE ME ALONE mentality. Extremes of degeneracy and puritanical moralism in the same place. Full of very snide, dumb people such as yourself. Overwhelmingly CRINGE. In my opinion, at least funnier than most other places (not difficult). In slower boards like /lit/ there are pockets of people who discuss niche topics that you couldnt really have elsewhere beyond a lacksadaisical level. I could go on

Yes, idiot, other places have some of these features too, in the same way all your shitting personality traits are shared with billions of people around the world. There is still YOU unfortunately

>> No.23240353
File: 149 KB, 396x521, 6345097643456.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23240219
>>23240233
I've seen people try to pass the /lit/ renaissance off as "rage and typos" like they're the Angry Young Men of modern literature who are dashing off damning indictments of contemporary society ala Harassment Architecture. But maybe 40% of what gets shilled here really even meets that definition. It's mostly just bad attempts at scifi or literary stylistic experimentation, and then periodically one of them writes something competent and they all act like it's brilliant.

Consider the opening page of Pseudo Bulkington's A Viennese Pilgrim and Her Guardian. I think this is a good example because as far as I know he's never been involved with the drama, never obnoxiously shilled his work or told outrageous lies about his success, or pretended to be anything other than a guy who writes. Furthermore, it seems like he's chosen subject matter which not only would appeal to /lit/, but appears to appeal to him on a personal level as well. He has done everything right, so the only thing we can really criticize about him is his writing.

Given the short length of the work, I would say it's fair for the character's backstory to be summarized in this fashion, but on a technical level, nothing here really grips the senses. Tibalt could take a moment to reflect on the actual sensory experience of stepping from warm sunlight to cool shadow and maybe have even told us what the cathedral was made of, but instead he just tells us how it makes him feel, essentially putting a barrier between the reader and the world of the story. Aside from the vaguely sneering allusion to materialism, there's particularly funny about the failures here, either. It's just mediocre.

So let's say that I am the hypothetical /lit/ anon who wants to do everything possible to support our little homegrown literary movement. What am I supposed to do with this? Do I tell people that it's awesome and a lot of fun, so they'll read it themselves and realize I'm a liar? Do I tell people that it was a good idea but poorly written? Because there are no shortage of books out there about this sort of thing which *are* well-written. Do I tell people that mainstream publishing is totally cucked, and /lit/ alternative scene hasn't really risen to the challenge of replacing it, but maybe if we sit here and pretend like it has, it will eventually be true?

>> No.23240361

>>23240353
>t. Ari

>> No.23240382
File: 45 KB, 500x400, 1672753269541743.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23234715
I agree with this anon, but at some point after ~20 years we are going to have to accept that participating under the banner "4chan" is going to require some heavy cultural adjustments which nobody is really ready for because we're all free speech anarchists.

Any real project has to be the utter bastion of free speech possible while also vetting for schiophrenics. In fact, there should be a section dedicated to the schizophrenics.

But I don't know how to do it without just doing it myself. Nobody seems to want to agree, contribute, or really exist anymore.

What is there to do? Encourage or discourage, is that what I seek? Is that what you seek? I believe in you, if that helps. I want to be heard too. I am terrified to think that I have to spearhead that change, because I am not in the business of forcing 4channers to submit to me writing.

>> No.23240396
File: 1.36 MB, 1920x2716, 1678048384612593.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23240382
Let me correct myself:
I'd be happy to do it, but I need collaboration and admittedly guidance without being a discord homosexual of ill repute. I want it to be public, organic, and here, on /lit/.
So let's be solution oriented, even if I don't do it:
>What should it be called?
>How should it be structured?
>Who publishes it? Is it open sourced? Time gated access, then sorted out into a readable state later?

I don't know man, I'm just crossfaded on easter double posting like a faggot.Help me out and I'll do right by the only people I really care about - the whiny intellectuals.

>> No.23240432

>>23235647
This site is just a forum where people meet. It is the people who create the culture, not the site itself. So what in you opinion is 4chan writing? Schizo? /pol/?

>> No.23240583

>>23240432
See the third part of >>23240343 for a few words which i think throw together a silhouette of what distinguishes 4cnan. Of course that is only a start. It is in the people posting that you see the culture, yes, but that isnt necessarily represented in those writing. Not to be pedantic, but the form of an image board influences the culture that develops on it. Do you think its just coincidence certain people/topics of conversation congregate in this place?

>So what in you opinion is 4chan writing? Schizo? /pol/?
If i expected to see schizo-themed writing anywhere it would be here, yes. I dont know what '/pol/' is as a form of writing. Some of you people are so fixated on that board for how much you seem to hate it. Something with the vibe of American Psycho and the subject matter of a confederacy of dunces is what id expect out of writing coming from 4chan. Im not trying to limit the writing from here to that, but you asked for examples and i gave them.

>> No.23240591

>>23240353
I agree it doesnt really embody 4chan putside of its high/lit/ taste but that is pretty good writing as far as one page goes. Idk the rest of the book but your project isnt a failure if you fail to relay sensuous information within the first 30 lines

>> No.23240602

>>23240591
you clearly have no concept of what constitutes good writing. do you even read?

>> No.23240611

>>23240602
Who said anything about good writing? Im just trying to get to something that is unique enough to warrant collecting under a group name first.

>> No.23240613

>>23240583
>Something with the vibe of American Psycho and the subject matter of a confederacy of dunces is what id expect out of writing coming from 4chan.
wow....how exciting

>> No.23240645

>>23240583
How about you try being a good writer instead of tailoring yourself to personify 4chan? The idea that /lit/ has specific culture that needs to be tapped into is puzzling to me. /lit/ doesn’t even read anymore. You will have no audience if your writing is described as 4chan

>> No.23240647

>>23240613
I was asked what that would look like and i can only give examples of pre-existing work. If someone actually came out with a fusion of the two i would be uninterested. I didnt have to do that because the /lit/ annotations and harrassment architecture are already living examples. Obviously its easier for you to sit back and be pissy but there it is

>> No.23240660

>>23240645
I don't tailor myself to personify 4chan pumpkin. My whole point is that people what to create a creative 4chan atmosphere of collective writing but all they come up with is something that is no less evident of that than the 19th century fiction novel on british india i read the other day. Its not just a creative failure, it will get nowhere on here

>> No.23240673

>>23240660
You’re putting way too much stock in the website as you should be using other platforms as well. If you really want to write an edgelord book in the Nietzschean style with a dash of schizo then go right ahead and don’t let anyone stop you. Just don’t question why some “/lit/ cultural movement” never got off the ground

>> No.23240688

>>23236847
So you maybe got through Wheelock’s womp womp

>> No.23240716

>>23240602
>Do you even read
Do you?
>>23240353
>Tibalt could take a moment to reflect on the actual sensory experience of stepping from warm sunlight to cool shadow and maybe have even told us what the cathedral was made of
"Engraved spires and intricate matrices of pillars"
"Sculptures blackened before the bright sun"
"The sight never failed to press its beauty onto the mind"
Did baby need his little hand held? >_< did he? Would you like me to tell you the cathedral is made of STONE? would that satisfy our BIG BOY who would like to know what the buildings are made of? By the way Tibalt doesn't tell us anything. If you hadn't noticed, the text is written in the third person. Tibalt shouldn't tell us how the cathedral makes him feel, you say, he should reflect on the actual sensory experience (so he should tell us how stepping into the cathedral made him feel) BRILLIANT i am truly incapable of reading you win

>> No.23240732

>>23240688

We used Ecce Romani, Vol. 1: A Latin Reading Program, 4th Edition (Latin Edition) https://a.co/d/60pDo4G

>> No.23240750

>>23240647
>harassment architecture
>from 4chan
you have to go back

>> No.23240782

>>23240673
You keep saying "you". I point out the faulty axiom at the heart of the collaboration here and you go "you, you" as if i have my own banner that says "/lit/ renaissance" scrawled across it. I am an outsider looking in wasting my time trying to give some elaborate criticism. I would be the type of person who would buy your writing and read it enthusiastically - in fact i have before - would consume the turds you ejected if it even whiffed of something largely distinct from everything everywhere else. Imagine the moby dick /lit/ annotations but you open to the first page and its just standard academic footnotes. THAT IS YOU

>> No.23240806

>>23240396
Perhaps the board, given its nature, doesnt have the critical mass to support such a thing. Given the relative size of something like /pol/ it rarely does anything cooperative outside of raiding twotter polls or some such dumb shit. But i have hope though. Boards like /wsg/ sustain healthy creative communities

>> No.23241004

>>23240806
Why leave it to others? It starts with you. It starts with me. We are the Isnis.

>> No.23241289 [DELETED] 

bump

>> No.23241953
File: 150 KB, 720x730, doubtposting.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23234575
>What do you think is next for the so-called /lit/ renaissance?
Just posting? I don't see what's wrong with posting. It's a perfectly cromulent genre of postmodern fiction, well suited just about anything you'd wanna talk about whether that's a deep discourse on the size of DFW's balls or Plato. What we already have but tend not to recognize in its full scope and value is what I consider to be properly grassroots, if you ask me. That said, I miss &amp. Mostly because it had me in it.

>> No.23242570

>>23241953
What did you write in &amp?

>> No.23242571

>>23241953
I'm gonna publish an epic bread then.
Captcha

>> No.23243139

>>23240647
you sound like a midwit tryhard

>> No.23243963 [DELETED] 

bump

>> No.23244360

dead thread desu

>> No.23244863

>>23240806
The average /lit/ user is smarter then the average /pol/ user though

>> No.23244865
File: 1.01 MB, 773x1000, IMG_1207.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23240353
Just buy the book once, brother. That’s all we can really do. If you’re really excited, maybe finish it.

>> No.23245399

>>23244865
Why buy it if it isn't any good?

>> No.23245404

Is tundra worth reading?

>> No.23245487

>>23245404
Yes. It's not a story exactly and it can be juvenile but some of it is good enough to enjoy. Mostly for the humor, and witnessing all the writers harping on or defacing the work is especially fun, but occasionally the writing is cogent.

>> No.23245594

>>23245487
What is the premise of it?

>> No.23245703

>>23245594
>anon is surfing the net
>Dakota Fanning is cute
>there are lizardpeople like Lizard Harold Bloom and Lizard Foster Wallace and Lizard Bob Saget
>5th dimension is in jeopardy
>lots of spaghetti
>Tao Lin and many other real and fictional characters
>slashfic tier sex scenes
>history of a tundra society which lost its emperor but discovered an ancient power
The plot is constantly disrupted to the point that it doesn't take off. If there is a plot it's more about how hundreds of retards could write together and why did it turn out the way it did.

>> No.23245859

>>23245399
To support the writer. My response was in the context of this anon: >>23240353

>> No.23245968

>>23245703
Is this like one of those Call of united airlines /lit/ referencing parodies? On a separate note is Call of United Airlines actually worth reading? I assume it's a humorous book is it funny??

>> No.23245981

>>23245968
Not exactly. It's predominantly popculture references and anons shitting on eachother, precisely what you would expect from /lit/. It's less of a parody and more of a slugfest between different styles.
>is Call of United Airlines worth reading?
It's worth skimming for a lul.

>> No.23246025

>>23245859
Why would I buy and read a book that isn't any good just to support some random writer who l have no obligation to?

>> No.23246143
File: 410 KB, 600x597, 1711191570276088.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Alright, gave it some thought, here's my idea.
>Magazine Title: /lit/
Very simple, straightforward, representative without a lot of verbose fagosity.
>Letters to The Editor
the publisher's (me) only space to voice their gay little opinions solely upon the letter writer's terms of engagement
>Artwork
As much as one wants.
>2-3 rotating stories
We'll do it like any other thing, for any writer really wanting to collect momentum, for a short-term, medium-term, and long-term monthly story submissions, chapter by chapter
>5-10 Essays
Political, philosophical, critical, whatever one wants.
>Letters to Someone Who Will Never Read It
At the end of any good magazine it is good to have a wall of hopelessness.
>Comics for Retards
Exactly as it says. Think Macgruder. Also undercuts the sadboy letters.

What can be added? Important to keep lurkers involved more than vocal faggots.

>> No.23246148

>>23246143
Title is stupid as hell and wont come up in any archive search results. Otherwise its decent. Doubt youll follow through though

>> No.23246236

>>23246143
Give it another title and start with something more focused. There is already a magazine and short story collections going on.
>43
>off by one.png
whoa

>> No.23246353

>>23246236
What magazine? &amp is basically over and minimag isn't really /lit/

>> No.23246551

>>23245859
But again, why support the writer if he isn't putting out work I enjoy?

>> No.23246565
File: 2.07 MB, 990x1583, sample.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Who's ready for Jason's 4th book, "Nah to War", set in an ambiguous country where the MC could be a young man from Canada in Russia, Gaza, Israel, or Ukraine, sent to escort his grandmother and uncle back to Canada- but then caught up in a war that kicks off. He wants no part of it, but has no choice when the recruiters force him to join the village militia.

All written in zoomerspeak.

Should be finished in a week or two. Still need to revise the cover as it has issues, but we're close to that being done as well.

>> No.23246622

>>23246565
burh you can't be releasing books once a month unless it is litrpg, relax

>> No.23246684

>>23246565
No one. See >>23236091 for reference.

>> No.23246701
File: 84 KB, 895x900, 6B9753FF-E90D-436C-BA6D-71E2963AA688.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23234828
No, offboarder tranny zoomshitters use discord to raid this board, like they do with so many generals. 4chan posts should be on 4chan. If you're using some external site full of alphabet redditors to discuss what you're posting here, you should be banned. Fucking discordniggers have been worse for this site than the election.

>> No.23246702
File: 73 KB, 2303x831, startsomewhere.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23246622
I'm in a creative rhythm at the moment, really got my ducks in a row to crank out my work.

>>23246684
Every little step forward counts. You're not even trying anymore, you've already accepted that you'll never be anything but an anonymous crab.

Jason Bryan is going to be the guy that shows /lit/ that you can write your ass off and become a success by sheer force of will.

>> No.23246809

>>23246148
Ok give me about a week and I'll cook up a site and we'll shop around some premiere covers. I'll keep everyone posted. In the meantime please submit your prose/poetry/pederasty in these threads.

>> No.23246868
File: 140 KB, 1080x1756, IMG_1072.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23246025
>>23246551
Then don’t you nigger. Do nothing, then. Or better yet, ask stupid questions that you already know the answer to.

>> No.23246876

>>23246353
You can submit to &amp and it will showcase in 020. Everytime somebody said &amp was dead they pushed another one out. Consider it a quarterly and do the math. Summer is usually when the drops happen.

>> No.23246882

>>23246702
You don’t have to continually refer to yourself in the third person.

>> No.23246886

>>23246353
&amp is long dead, my friend.

>> No.23246891

>>23246882
These threads completely die without my input.

I am the only one writing at the moment. Where is everyone else?

>> No.23246934 [DELETED] 

>>23246891
>These threads completely die without my input.
Your constant input is what has driven people away from these threads. The threads die because of you. You pervade this board like a cancer. You are malignant tumor that needs to be excised from /lit/ completely.

>> No.23246938

>>23246891
>These threads completely die without my input.
Your constant input is what has driven people away from these threads. The threads die because of you. You pervade this board like a cancer. You are a malignant tumor that needs to be excised from /lit/ completely.

>> No.23246945

>>23246891
I'll be between jobs for a few months. Time to write more.

>> No.23247134

>>23246891
Then I’d prefer that you let them die.

>> No.23247353

>>23247134
You wanna see normies get riled up...

https://www.face berg.com/groups/canadawrites/posts/1542476969633545/

>> No.23247425

>>23245968
decide for yourself...read it for free at https://files.catbox.moe/aw9gz2.pdf

>> No.23247463

>>23244865
so whatever happened to keyword magazine? just another failure in a long line of frank's failures?
>>23246565
so you gave up on dr. fuck and the bicycle race that was gayer than the song by queen? good news.

>> No.23247496

>>23247463
The Dr. Fuck book is done and released...

Keep up with the program, dipshit.

>> No.23247497

>>23247463
Keyword was a hoax by the &amp editor.

>> No.23247500

>>23247496
but i don't care

>> No.23247553

>>23247496
>$5
>138 pages
you sure think highly of yourself, don't you

>> No.23247620

>>23247553
Chapter 9 BTFOs anything you've written, hands down.

Post your work.

>> No.23247645

>>23247620
i read your ch. 9 when you spammed it to /wg/. utterly uninteresting. just some fag riding a bike. and "pyw" is just prick-waving by a different name

>> No.23247764

>>23247645
Post work you think is good then!

>> No.23247813

>>23246809
Why would you take credit for my post like that, anon? I don’t care, but it’s a little weird. This is the type of faggotry I was speaking of.

>>23246148
Is /lit/ Magazine straightforward enough? Surely searching for “magazine” should get one where they wish to go. I’ll set up a strawpoll in the first thread, provided Shakespeare here doesn’t want to take that over too.

I really don’t have a mind for “credit” or whatever, as we’re all supposed to be anonymous and contributing. As long as the fuckin’ thing gets done.

>> No.23247823

>>23247813
>I really don’t have a mind for “credit” or whatever, as we’re all supposed to be anonymous and contributing. As long as the fuckin’ thing gets done.
Who is even writing anymore? WHO???

>> No.23247870

>>23247823
That’s right anon. We’re going balls deep with the “by: anonymous” gimmick

>> No.23247888

>>23247870
Pretty useless for building a career out of...

>> No.23247893

>>23247888
Put a name on your submitted work if you want, but career building should be secondary to having a voice, anon. You must acknowledge that you are generally worth nothing as a writer until you are dead or are mailing pipe bombs like Kaczynski.

>> No.23247900 [DELETED] 
File: 113 KB, 1382x717, nonwoke.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23247893
I think I damaged more people in this thread today...

>> No.23247947 [DELETED] 
File: 128 KB, 1351x800, what.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23247900
Progressives losing their mind...

>> No.23247962

>>23235716
60 seconds, allowscookiesonhisbrowser-kun

>> No.23248062

>>23247962
Kill yourself guy seems to be on vacation?

>> No.23248096

Wait, if the anonymous anonymous of this anonymous imageboard centered around anonymity decide to make their magazine anonymous, then how will I become a famous celebrity? I was going to help you guys when I got famous.

>> No.23248108

>>23248096
I mean, who is going to put their best work into something for no credit?

>> No.23248157

>>23247900
>dies of cringe

>> No.23248161

>>23248157
You should see the ham planets that are throwing mad shade... buwahahah!

>> No.23248166
File: 1.80 MB, 1987x1593, wokies.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23248157
Canada Writes is basically 99% wokies...

>> No.23248202 [DELETED] 
File: 3.16 MB, 2943x1681, fatblm.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23248157
This BLM fatty spent the last 1+ hours dropping emojis on every single post I've made on Facebook
>rent free

>> No.23248377 [DELETED] 
File: 178 KB, 1284x991, dangerous.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23248157
I am now... dangerous.

>> No.23248482 [DELETED] 
File: 3.86 MB, 2155x1583, looooooooooool.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23248377
Anotha one!

>> No.23248537

>>23248377
The true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members.
Really makes you think.

>> No.23248552

>>23248537
If you read all of the replies I got, it was 99% attacks and just shy of "kill youself", I even had 80 year old women tell me I'm a failure and will never be a writer. It was brilliant!

Then another senior citizen asked me how big my dick is... and then proceeded to write on my page and then tell me to block her, like a crazy boomer cat lady!

Merely saying "non-woke" was like an attack on their entire belief systems. Woke is like their scripture, and saying you're "non-woke", not anti-woke, but just "non" was enough to be called racist, sexist, and misogynistic. I mean, people on /lit/ can be crabs for sure, but the normies on Facebook are downright psychotic. The "wokies" are a complete cult at this point, if you are merely "non woke" it is like you've wiped your ass with a Qur'an at an ISIS meeting...

>> No.23248715

>>23247962
just temporary cookies that go away once i close my browser. and why do you need to post more often than every 60 seconds, spam-flooder?
>>23248062
hopefully kys-anon was projecting, and khs. nothing of value would be lost

>> No.23248733
File: 472 KB, 828x927, 1697484162253332.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Alright, I'm making the thread. I hope I see you all there, anons. Remember, you don't really exist until you've spouted editorialized thoughts on an obscure magazine that nobody can agree on the title of.

>> No.23248736

Mom and dad aren't home I can be your kys anon tonight.

>> No.23249013

>>23247813
Hey Ari. On to a new psyop I see?

>> No.23249547

>>23249013
Pretty sure it's the &amp editor trying to trick people into giving him content for his dying mag.

>> No.23249705

>>23249013
>>23249547
you're both schizophrenic retards. not everyone follows your weird gay discord drama and the moment anybody knows my name from 4chan is the moment I kill myself.

>>>23248778

>> No.23250650

Did Jason get banned again?

>> No.23250758

>>23236091
>and in fact has not read a single book in years.
so he is the average /lit/ poster

>> No.23250844

>>23250758
The average /lit/ poster will at least pretend to be well-read. Proudly proclaiming the fact that you never read isn't /lit/.

>> No.23251599

bump

>> No.23251835

>>23242570
Husky Mutt Puppy

>> No.23251873

>>23251835
Woah, A.V. Montradrier, perhaps the most elusive of all /lit/ authors. I heard you did Husky Mutt Puppy with AI. Was it just for plot or composition? Do you agree with the "Faustian Bargain" interpretation that gets thrown around (e.g. did the narrator 'deserve' Robert Scott Falcon or was it just an absurd situation)?

Anything new coming down the pike? Can we expect to see an ad for your debut novel any time soon?

>> No.23251878

>>23251873
It was just absurd horror but I really appreciated everyone's analysis. Next down the pipe in the new /lit/ magazine I posted above, hoping to do a lot with it.

>> No.23251956
File: 206 KB, 513x694, GIGA_Ariosto Dante.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23250844
>Proudly proclaiming the fact that you never read isn't /lit/.

It's the only board kulchur there is left here. Effort Poster threads used to survive weeks.

>> No.23252138

>>23247764
i like elina timsit's work

>> No.23252159

>>23250650
all his stupid "hurr durr i'm so edgy on fakebook" posts got deleted, so yeah, he's probably banned for a while. enjoy the silence

>> No.23252594

>>23251878
So youre the anon behind this new mag?

>> No.23252917
File: 26 KB, 352x550, IMG_2180.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23252594
Yeah, me and Hartley are handling design, and some other anons will be proofreading and formatting.

>> No.23252928

>>23252917
You meant ‘Hartley and I’, didn’t you?
Didn’t you?

>> No.23252939

Hartley here. I denounce Robert James Cross and David Herod and fully endorse Lewis Woolston and Jason Bryan. I know good book readin’ when I sees it, and these two duders are the least woke on the scene.

>> No.23252998

>>23252939

RJC here. This isn't Hartley. Another pretender. Jason Bryan and I are linked up. Herod and I are linked up. Lewis need only reach out and we'll get linked up. The community is stronger than the crabs.

>> No.23253219
File: 185 KB, 1089x846, gay.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23252998

>> No.23253669

>>23252594
Yes

>> No.23254197

>>23252998
we aren't "linked up". we shared a couple of messages.

>> No.23255649

bump

>> No.23255667

this is what you get for working with women you can't control.

>> No.23256223

>>23255667
this is what you get for working with women at all.

>> No.23256304

>>23256223
I've worked with many women. They're fine. Then again, I'm probably more handsome than you.

>> No.23257051

>>23256304
no you're just more of an abusive bullshit artist

>> No.23257092

bump

>> No.23257783

>>23256304
okay narcissist

>> No.23257794

>>23257783
Who do you think I am?

>> No.23257866

>>23257794
no idea, but bringing up your looks unprompted makes you seem full of yourself

>> No.23257888

>>23256304
debating looks between 4channers is like debating virtue among whores

>> No.23258230

>>23253219
they really are buttbuddies

>> No.23258809

>>23252138
literally who?

>> No.23259165

>>23249705
I doubt that this is going to get any traction. Very few people seem interested in submitting. It seems like the board is tired of the constant /lit/ zine drama and could benefit from a fallow period.

>> No.23259882

>>23259165
Okay crab.

>> No.23259898

is this discord tranny shit really still going? this thread is like an ad for a mobile game in the middle of real threads, all actual /lit/ people just skim over it or hide it

>> No.23259972

>>23259898
It's some shillfag.

>> No.23260134

>>23259898
This is /lit/ culture. All actual /lit users come here and engage in criticism. Mixtape Hyperborea has sold hundreds of copies for chrissake.

>> No.23260329

>>23260134
>Mixtape Hyperborea has sold hundreds of copies
Source? I seriously doubt that.

>> No.23260442

>>23260329
In the &amp interview he claims to have sold 75 copies, but that's never clarified if those are paperback sales, Kindle sales, or free Kindle downloads. For a paperback advertising directly to /lit/ 75 is a good number, but even Jason Bryan can get 75 "sales" from a Kindle giveaway.

It's worth noting, to any would-be /lit/ auteur, that this is the big smash hit of the /lit/ renaissance, both in terms of sales number and the actual philosophical thrust of the novel. Ogden, Zulu, Ryan, Woolston et. al. have admitted to selling less than five books per month over their entire careers. And it basically amounts to one of those "Dude you bumped your head it's really 2007" memes written by a guy who was too young to really understand the cultural context of the age he was living in. The only other book which aims for actual cultural analysis would be Zulu's The Savage Green, which depicts the mid-2000s as a cultural wasteland despite the fact that he came of age during that time and should rightly feel nothing but nostalgia for it. Ogden's Eggplant seemed more concerned the analysis of a narrow sector of the art scene and Woolston spends a lot of time reflecting on his life but rarely tries to draw any serious or sweeping conclusions from his observations of rural Australian culture.

>> No.23261140

>>23260442

Apparently RJC sold a few hundred copies of Shards.

>> No.23261288

>>23261140

Shards sold a little more than 50. The Special Edition will sell more.

>> No.23262113

>>23261288
doubt it samefag

>> No.23262618

>>23258809
the lady that seethed against jason on facebook, as seen in the now-deleted posts in this thread

>> No.23262749

>>23262618
Why should I give a fuck about Jason's Facebook screencaps?

>> No.23263042

>>23262749
that question is independent of who she was, brainlet. just more simple-minded deflection

>> No.23263188

>>23260442
Your sources are all outdated

>> No.23263220

>>23263188
Then give updated stats.

>> No.23263474

>>23263220
you'd like that wouldn't you? Sorry. We are secret club.

>> No.23263591

>>23263474
we don't care about your discord tranny circlejerk

>> No.23264515

bump

>> No.23265358

>>23263042
cringe

>> No.23266304

>>23260442
Is it possible to write a book that's really representative of the current cultural context of /lit/ as a whole though? I don't think any of our writers have done it yet.

>> No.23267136

>>23266304
unfortunately that would require actual talent

>> No.23269032

bump

>> No.23269483

>>23260442
>It's worth noting, to any would-be /lit/ auteur, that this is the big smash hit of the /lit/ renaissance
Tales of the Unreal had reportedly sold over 200 copies

>> No.23269600

>>23269483
Is that counting free pdf downloads? lmao

>> No.23270293

>>23269483
Half of those copies were probably sold to contributing writers though.

>> No.23271100

>>23270293
More than half.

>> No.23271144

>>23270293
>>>23260442
>>It's worth noting, to any would-be /lit/ auteur, that this is the big smash hit of the /lit/ renaissance
there are over 100 contributing authors? think nigga

>> No.23271150

>>23270293
nice troll, crab

>> No.23271192

Why not contribute to an actual student literature journal instead of this LARP?

>> No.23271222

>>23271192
What larp?

>> No.23271766

>>23271144
>noooo authors can't buy more than one copy
dumbass
>>23271222
this entire thread is a larp. it needs to die

>> No.23272004
File: 1.61 MB, 1616x1639, lelelelelelelelel.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23271192
>thinks we're still in school

>> No.23272044

>>23272004
tbf a lot of you do act like children

>> No.23272055

>>23234575
You guys fucked this up too bad for anything to bloom forth from the remains. The earth is salted because of your antics, childishness, and bitchy drama. Let these threads die. Don’t make them. Try again in a year or two

>> No.23273102

bump

>> No.23273262

>>23271192
I work at KFC. I have a wife and kids. Sometimes i take theee showers a day to wash off the fried chicken smell in between shifts.

>> No.23274242

>>23273262
based woolston