[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 49 KB, 647x1000, 612phpBTuoL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
23170445 No.23170445 [Reply] [Original]

Can we talk about horror or otherwise unsettling literature?
Tell me about the last book you've read that was really spooky and why that was.

>> No.23170506

Got a pop-up book with a ghost in it, but I tend to skip over the ghost page to get to the elephant.

>> No.23170530

>>23170506
...if not lies, pls tell me ISBN/title

>> No.23170543

works of true horror belong to a classification level

>> No.23170561
File: 112 KB, 676x1000, hicb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23170445
If you liked the Cowboy Preacher/Vampire story in that book you should check this out

>> No.23170649
File: 75 KB, 302x460, 61P7QO4es1L.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Thisun. Goofiest story is Thurnley Abbey by Perceval Landon.

>> No.23170872

Horror, as in the work contained elements in which its could would be "Horror", or do you mean to be specific as in "Horror" novels that are "Scary". Because I do not get scared very easily and I want to suggest Clark Ashton Smith, who I haven't found scary in the traditional sense, but he does write great horror short stories.

>> No.23171526
File: 2.42 MB, 2552x3572, Horror Literature Chart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23170445
Here's the most recent horror chart, that I made with some other anons. Not perfect, but definitely an upgrade over the previous one. Currently trying to read everything on here (and more works by the same authors), to hopefully adjust it and make a more definitive chart.
Last books I read that were pretty spooky were The Dark Domain, by Stefan Grabinski, and The Other, by Thomas Tryon. Both very strong novels, although The Other tends to lag a little bit in the middle.

>> No.23171554

>>23170872
>Pedantic fag really wants strangers on the internet to know that he aint afraid of no books.

>> No.23172095

>>23170649
Which ones would you say are the best?

>> No.23172709
File: 110 KB, 607x1000, 71eQ3Sur7zL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23170445
Adam Nevill is great. Loved Ritual, Last Days, and The Reddening.

My last spoopy read was When Darkness Loves Us. Not really scary per se, but pretty dark and creepy. There are actually two novellas in the book, but I've only read the first one so far. Some of those Paperbacks from Hell books are really good. So far I've enjoyed the The Tribe (Jew Horror) and The Auctioneer (Not really horror at all, but still excellent)

>> No.23172740
File: 68 KB, 1000x750, 71mKH8L69sL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23170445
This one, I had it borrowed from the library multiple times as a kid and holy fuck, when such a big sceptic as Arthur C. Clarke confirms some creepy phenomenon is real even though he cannot really explain it but he witnessed it first hand, I was so scared.

>> No.23172741

>>23172095
My favourites were: The Captain of the 'Pole-Star', The Open Door, Thurnley Abbey.

>> No.23172752
File: 110 KB, 1500x1125, 911dFKSAHIL._SL1500_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23172740
It has about twelve chapters or so, each one about one phenomenon, researched and then classified on how probable it is.
I remember this photo from the stigmata chapter, I don't remember what was the verdict on stigmata but imagine me being 12 years old reading all that

>> No.23172861

>>23171526

>"Horror" chart

>No Gardner

Opinion discarded. Not including at least one novel from the F-man on a Horror Novel chart would be like not including Dickens in a "Books about London" grouping.

>> No.23172879

>>23170445
>>23171526
The Yellow Wallpaper.
Psychological Horror
Excellent short story
Surprise ending. At least I didn't see it coming.

>> No.23172904

>>23170445
>>23170445
Brute
The Coming of the Old Ones
They Come When They Are Called
A Splash of Crimson
Life Support
Next of Kin
Dead Inside
Mexican Gothic
Suckerville (yes really. Silly but fun, finished it in one night)
God's of the Dark Web
The Sluts

>> No.23172906

>>23172709
Absolutely agreed on all three books.

>> No.23173017

>>23170543
Right. Sure. Please elaborate and share your own qualifications on what is considered "true horror."

>> No.23173033

>>23171526
I dunno why between two fires is on here. I mean I liked it but I wouldn't call it horror, it's more like berserk: the novel

>> No.23173153

what type of stories ligotti write? with titles like teatro grottesco i just picture clown goatse.What can i expect from the man?

>> No.23173252

>>23171526
Where's Karl Edward Wagner?

>> No.23173273

>>23171554
Imagine being scared of paper and having good diction. SAD!

>> No.23173297

>>23173153
Bleak bleakness

>> No.23173302

>>23173252
Based

>> No.23173644

>>23173153
Think Lovecraft but more surreal, a heavier emphasis on dreams and psychology as opposed to cosmicism and science. Also a heavy dose of Schopenhauerian pessimism done as horror fiction.

>> No.23173684

>>23171526
Summer of Darkness is a better pick than The Terror for horror by Dan Simmons. Both could reasonably be on the list though (alongside Hyperion though only parts of it are spooky).

>> No.23173887

>>23173252
I should've added him (heard of him when the chart was already basically done), and I'll definitely add In a Lonely Place in the next iteration.

>> No.23173913

>>23173033
Buehlman deserves a place on the chart, and BTF is seen as his strongest horror novel. It was a toss up between that one and The Lesser Dead, but I chose to go for BTF after doing some research and going through loads of thread where people talk about Buehlman's works.

>> No.23173936

I usually only read horror in October, here’s what I read last October
Compulsory Games by Robert Aickman - I’ve read three story collections by Aickman. This was my least favorite. I much preferred Dark Entries and my favorite Cold Hand in Mine. Compulsory Games felt like the leftovers he shoved away in some desk drawer and forgot about but the estate found it and thought they might get a few quid out of it. Three of the stories were good. The rest seemed rushed or unfinished or jokes or self parody. Still going to read The Wine Dark Sea this coming October.

Devil’s Day by Andrew Michael Hurley - I really enjoyed Starve Acre by the same author. This I have more of a mixed review about. It’s well written. I really enjoyed the descriptions of farm life and the forays into the river and moorlands in Yorkshire. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and backstory. But too much happens off camera. And for two of the bodies, I’m not exactly clear who killed who and in what order.
Still going to read The Loney this coming October

The Lesser Dead by Christopher Buehlman. I really enjoyed this. It lures you in with humor but gets progressively darker. It’s definitely not the light hearted romp it initially seems. I plan on reading Between Two Fires this coming October.

That’s it for last October
I also plan on reading Cunning Folk this coming October. Mainly because of /lit/‘s recommendations of Nevill.
I also picked up a copy of Winterset Hollow just because Amazon recommended it to me and I thought it might be up my alley. I haven’t really heard much buzz about it on /lit/ though, so Amazon might have rused me. We shall see.

>> No.23174296
File: 29 KB, 900x750, IMG_7349.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Did this in my own thread before, but I’ll repost it here. Here’s all the works Lovecraft mentions in ‘Supernatural Horror in Literature’

Introduction:
>Sigmund Freud
>Charles Dickens
>Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came by Robert Browning
>The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
>Elsie Venner by Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.
>The Upper Berth by F. Marion Crawford
>The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
>The Monkey’s Paw by W. W. Jacobs

>> No.23174297

>>23174296
The Dawn of the Horror Tale:
>Book of Enoch
>The Lesser Key of Solomon
>The Witch-Cult in Western Europe by Margaret Murray
>Albertus Magnus
>Ramon Llull
>Nostradamus
>Johannes Trithemius
>John Dee
>Robert Fludd
>The Book of Were-Wolves and Curious Myths of the Middle Ages by Sabine Baring-Gould
>Satyricon by Petronius
>Apuleius
>Pliny the Younger’s letter to Sura about ghosts
>Book of Marvels by Phlegon of Tralles
>Commentary on Plato’s Republic by Proclus
>The Bride of Corinth by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
>The Adventure of the German Student by Washington Irving
>Poetic Edda and Prose Edda (And Norse Sagas)
>Beowulf
>Nibelungenlied
>Dante Alighieri
>Edmund Spenser
>Le Morte d’Arthur by Thomas Malory
>Doctor Faustus by Christopher Marlowe
>Macbeth and Hamlet by Shakespeare
>John Webster
>The Apparition of Mrs. Veal by Daniel Defoe
>The Adventures of Ferdinand, Count Fathom by Tobias Smollett

The Early Gothic Novel:
>The Poems of Ossian by James Macpherson
>William Blake
>Tam o’ Shanter by Robert Burns
>Christabel and The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge
>Kilmeny by James Hogg
>Lamia by John Keats
>Der wilde Jäger and Lenore by Gottfried August Bürger
>Wild Huntsman and William and Helen by Sir Walter Scott
>The Ring by Thomas Moore
>The Venus of Ille by Prosper Mérimée
>Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
>The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole
>Edgar Allan Poe
>The Story of Sir Bertrand by Anna Laetitia Barbauld
>The Old English Baron by Clara Reeve
>The Recess by Sophia Lee
>The Castles of Athlin and Dunbayne, A Sicilian Romance, The Romance of the Forest, The Mysteries of Udolpho, The Italian, and Gaston de Blondeville by Ann Radcliffe
>Edgar Huntly, Ormond, Arthur Mervyn, and Wieland by Charles Brockden Brown

>> No.23174299

>>23174297
The Apex of Gothic Romance:
>The Monk, The Castle Spectre, Tales of Terror, Tales of Wonder, Feudal Tyrants, and Poems by Matthew Gregory Lewis
>Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
>The Fatal Revenge and Melmoth the Wanderer by Charles Maturin
>Melmoth Reconciled by Honore de Balzac
>Don Juan by Moliere
>Faust by Goethe
>Manfred by Lord Byron
>Dante Gabriel Rossetti
>William Makepeace Thackery
>Charles Baudelaire
>Oscar Wilde
>Tales of Mystery by George Saintsbury
>The Tale of Terror: A Study of Gothic Romance by Edith Birkhead

The Aftermath of Gothic Fiction:
>Horrid Mysteries by Carl Grosse
>The Children of the Abbey by Regina Maria Roche
>Zofloya by Charlotte Dacre
>Zastrozzi and St. Irvyne by Percy Bysshe Shelley
>Vathek and Episodes of Vathek by William Beckford
>Arabian Nights Entertainment by Antonie Galland
>The Life and Letters of William Beckford of Fonthill by Lewis Melville and James Storer
>Caleb Williams and St. Leon by William Godwin
>The Magus by Francis Barrett
>Edward Bulwer-Lytton
>Faust and Wagner, the Wehr-Wolf by George W. M. Reynolds
>The Iron Chest by George Colman
>Frankenstein and The Last Man by Mary Shelley
>The Vampyre by John William Polidori
>The Tapestried Chamber, Wandering Willie’s Tale, Redgauntlet, and Letters on Demonology and Witchcraft by Sir Walter Scott
>The Adventure of the German Student, Tales of a Traveller, and The Money-Diggers by Washington Irving
>Alciphron and The Epicurean by Thomas Moore
>Thomas De Quincey
>William Harrison Ainsworth
>The Werewolf and The Phantom Ship by Frederick Marryat
>The Signalman by Charles Dickens
>The Haunted and the Haunter; or, The House and the Brain, Zanoni, and A Strange Story by Edward Bulwer-Lytton
>Eliphas Levi
>Apollonius of Tyana
>Sheridan Le Fanu
>Varney the Vampire by James Malcolm Rymer and Thomas Peckett Prest
>Wilkie Collins
>She by Sir H. Rider Haggard
>Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
>H. G. Wells
>Markheim, The Body Snatcher, and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
>Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

>> No.23174301

>>23174299
Spectral Literature on the Continent:
>E.T.A. Hoffmann
>Peter Schlemihl by Adelbert von Chamisso
>Undine by Friedrich de la Motte Fouque
>A Book on Nymphs, Sylphs, Pygmies, and Salamanders, and on the other Spirits by Paracelsus
>The Amber Witch by Wilhelm Meinhold
>The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Alraune, and The Spider by Hanns Heinz Ewers
>Hans of Iceland by Victor Hugo
>The Wild Ass’s Skin, Seraphita, and Louis Lambert by Honore de Balzac
>Avatar, The Mummy’s Foot, La Morte Amoureuse, and One of Cleopatra’s Nights by Théophile Gautier
>The Temptation of Saint Anthony by Gustave Flaubert
>Charles Baudelaire
>Joris-Karl Huysmans
>La Venus d’Ille by Prosper Merimee
>The Ring by Thomas Moore
>The Horla, Who Knows?, The Apparition, He?, The Diary of a Madman, The Wolf, and Terreur by Guy de Maupasant
>What Was It? By Fitz James O’Brien
>The Man-Wolf, The Invisible Eye, The Owl’s Ear, and The Waters of Death by Erckmann-Chatrian
>The Torture of Hope by Auguste Villiers de I’Isle-Adam
>Maurice Level
>The Old Testament
>The Golem by Gustav Meyrink
>The Dybbuk by S. Ansky

Edgar Allan Poe:
>The Raven, The Bells, Ulalume, The City in the Sea, Dream-Land, MS. Found in a Bottle, The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar, The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym, Metzengerstein, The Man of the Crowd, The Masque of the Red Death, Silence - A Fable, Shadow - A Parable, Ligeia, and The Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allan Poe
>Charles Baudelaire
>E.T.A. Hoffmann
>Oscar Wilde
>Lord Dunsany

>> No.23174303

>>23174301
The Weird Tradition in America:
>Edgar Allan Poe
>Charles Brockden Brown
>Washington Irving
>Paul Elmer More
>A Wonder Book, Tanglewood Tales, Doctor Grimshawe’s Secret, The Marble Faun, Septimius Felton, A Dolliver Romance, The Ancestral Footstep, Edward Randolph’s Portrait, Legends of the Province House, The Minister’s Black Veil, The Ambitious Guest, Ethan Brand, Passages from the American Notebook, and The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne
>D. H. Lawrence
>What Was It? and The Diamond Lens by Fitz James O’Brien
>The Horla by Guy de Maupassant
>The Death of Halpin Frayser, The Damned Thing, The Suitable Surroundings, The Middle Toe of the Right Foot, The Spook House, Can Such Things Be?, In the Midst of Life, An Inhabitant of Carcosa, and Haita the Shepherd by Ambrose Bierce
>21 Letters of Ambrose Bierce by Samuel Loveman
>Frederic Taber Cooper
>Elsie Venner by Oliver Wendall Holmes Sr.
>The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
>Wandering Ghosts, For Blood Is The Life, The Dead Smile, and The Upper Berth by F. Marion Crawford
>The King in Yellow, The Yellow Sign, The Maker of Moons, and In Search of the Unknown by Robert W. Chambers
>Trilby by George du Maurier
>The Wind In The Rosebush and The Shadows on the Wall by Mary E. Wilkins
>The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
>The Dead Valley by Ralph Adams Cram
>Fishhead and The Unbroken Chain by Irvin S. Cobb
>The Hashish-Eater, The Tale of Satampra Zeiros, and The Double Shadow and Other Fantasies by Clark Ashton Smith
>The Dark Chamber by Leonard Cline
>The Place Called Dagon by Herbert S. Gorman
>Sinister House by Leland Hall
>The Song of the Sirens, Lukundoo, and The Snout by Edward Lucas White

>> No.23174308

>>23174303
The Weird Tradition in the British Isles:
>The Phantom Rickshaw, The Finest Story in the World, The Recrudescence of Imray, and The Mark of the Beast by Rudyard Kipling
>Fantastics, Kwaidan, and his translations of Gautier and Flaubert’s The Temptation of St. Anthony by Lafcadio Hearn.
>The Happy Prince and Other Tales, A House of Pomegranates, and The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde
>Xelucha, The House of Sounds, and The Purple Cloud by M. P. Shiel
>The Fall of the House of Usher by Poe
>The Lair of the White Worm, The Jewel of the Seven Stars, and Dracula by Bram Stoker
>The Beetle by Richard Marsh
>The Brood of the Witch-Queen by Sax Rohmer (Arthur Henry Ward)
>The Door of the Unreal by Edwin Gerald Jones Biss
>Cold Harbour by Francis Brett Young
>Witch Wood, The Green Wildebeest, The Wind in the Portico, and Skule Skerry by John Buchan
>The Were-wolf by Clemence Housman
>The Elixir of Life by Arthur Ransome
>The Shadowy Thing by H. B. Drake
>Lilith by Geprge Macdonald
>The Return, Seaton’s Aunt, The Tree, Out of the Deep, A Recluse, Mr. Kempe, All-Hallows, and The Listeners by Walter de la Mare
>The Man Who Went Too Far, Visible and Invisible, Negotium Perambulans, The Horror-Horn, and The Face by E. F. Benson
>They Return at Evening, Others Who Return, The Red Lodge, He Cometh and He Passeth By, And He Shall Sing…, The Cairn, Look Up There!, Blind Man’s Bluff, and The Seventeenth Hole at Duncaster by H. R. Wakefield
>The Ghost of Fear (The Red Room) and Thirty Strange Stories by H. G. Wells
>The Captain of the Pole-Star and Lot No. 249 by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
>Mrs. Lunt by Hugh Walpole
>The Smoking Leg and The Bad Lands by John Metcalfe
>J. M. Barrie
>The Celestial Omnibus and Other Stories and The Story of a Panic by E.M. Forster
>The Death-Mask and Other Ghosts by H. D. Everett
>A Visitor from Down Under by L. P. Hartley
>Uncanny Stories by May Sinclair
>The Boats of the “Glen Carrig”, The House on the Borderland, The Ghost Pirates, The Night Land, Carnacki the Ghost-Finder by William Hope Hodgson
>Poe’s C. Auguste Dupin, Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes, and Algernon Blackwood’s John Silence
>Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came by Robert Browning
>Joseph Conrad
>William Carleton
>Thomas Crofton Croker
>Jane Wilde
>Douglas Hyde
>W. B. Yeats
>John Milington Synge
>George William “A.E.” Russell
>Lady Gregory
>Padraic Colum
>James Stephens
>Teig O’Kane and the Corpse (Irish folktale)

>> No.23174314

>>23174308
The Modern Masters:
>The Chronicles of Clemendy, The Hill of Dreams, The Great God Pan, The White People, The Three Imposters, The Novel of the Black Seal, The Novel of the White Powder, The Red Hand, The Shining Pyramid, The Terror, The Great Return, and The Bowmen by Arthur Machen
>On Reading Arthur Machen: A Sonnet by Frank Belknap Long
>Robert Louis Stevenson
>The Willows, The Wendigo, An Episode in a Lodging House, The Listener, Incredible Adventures, John Silence-Physician Extraordinary, A Psychical Invasion, Ancient Sorceries, The Nemesis of Fire, Secret Worship, The Camp of the Dog, Jimbo, and The Centaur by Algernon Blackwood
>Edgar Allan Poe
>King James Bible
>King Argimenes and the Unknown Warrior, Bethmoora, Poltarnees Beholder of the Ocean, Carcassonne, Time and the Gods, The Book of Wonder, A Dreamer’s Tales, The Gods of the Mountain, A Night At An Inn, The Laughter of the Gods, and The Queen’s Enemies by Lord Dunsany
>The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne
>Histories by Herodotus
>Ghost Stories of an Antiquary, More Ghost Stories, A Thin Ghost and Others, A Warning to the Curious and Others, The Five Jars, Count Magnus, The Treasures of Abbot Thomas, The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral, Oh Whistle and I’ll Come to You My Lad, An Episode of Cathedral History by M. R. James
>Ambrose Bierce

That’s it

>> No.23174317

>>23174314
And a bonus, this is Lovecraft's favorite weird tales.

>Algernon Blackwood: "The Willows"
>Arthur Machen: "The Novel of the White Powder"
>Arthur Machen: "The Novel of the Black Seal"
>Arthur Machen: "The White People"
>Edgar Allan Poe: "The Fall of the House of Usher"
>M. P. Shiel: "The House of Sounds"
>Robert W. Chambers: "The Yellow Sign"
>M. R. James: "Count Magnus"
>Ambrose Bierce: "The Death of Halpin Frayser"
>A. Merritt: "The Moon Pool"

>> No.23174322
File: 2.16 MB, 1000x2510, IMG_7350.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23174317
And this chart

>> No.23174964

Bump

>> No.23175365

>>23172861
Could you recommend any book by him?

>> No.23175448

>>23173033
>DUDE IT'S MEDIEVAL AND HAS HORROR SO IT'S LIKE BERSERK
kill yourself berserkid

>> No.23175906

>>23170445
What would be the "Elden ring / Dark Souls" of horror fantasy?

>> No.23176373
File: 441 KB, 1884x1158, proboscis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Almost finished Imago Sequence, it has so many cool stories even tho most of them are really fucked up in a way.
I will admit that I read the climax of Old Virginia with the lights on and closed my bedroom door after, but I'm also really easily immersed into creepy and spooky stuff.

Proboscis is one of my favorites, especially after I've checked reddit to see what people make of it - most of them are fucking retarded and think that (spoiler ahead, dont ruin it): the protagonist escapes

TL;DR, Imago Sequence is some good horror shit. Havent read much else of Laird Barron yet, that will change soon

>> No.23176490

Any good horror with WMAF

>> No.23177301

Bump

>> No.23177320

I think this is from Edgar Allan Poe or something
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKHmOCX5JDU

>> No.23177573
File: 230 KB, 1140x855, il_1140xN.4209355350_598u.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

recently started reading pic related and while I'm just 3 chapters in, i'm hooked.
chapter one has a really well done moment when the narrator has a creepy insight (the coins) and from then on, everything gets worse for everyone.
chapter two also has a oh-shit moment right at the end and i'm curious how it all ties together later in the plot.

>>23170872
in english, professor

>>23173936
>I usually only read horror in October
october is usually fantasy time for me, but i'm gonna buy a house later this year and i plan on furnishing one room as a dedicated reading room. my book time is going to increase dramatically and that means i'll read anything at any time.
one of my biggest regrets in life (not that i could do anything about it) is that i won't live long enough to read all the books i would like to read. i'm only consolated by the fact that i DONT KNOW about all the books i would have loved to read, had I known that they were good.

>> No.23177586

>>23176490
my diary desu

>> No.23178057

>>23177573
>in english, professor
Do you mean "Horror" as in scary, or "Horror" as in genre? If the horror genre, I would recommend Clark Ashton Smith.

>> No.23179472
File: 44 KB, 500x765, Tales Penguin res.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23170445
Tales of the Unreal is gross. 1 & 2. First horror I ever read and it made a huge impact on me.

>> No.23180040

any horror where the main horror comes from the sheer, unadulterated facts of the existence of minorities?

i have already read Horror at the Red Hook and it had more to deal with minority devil worship, rather than the minorities in of themselves as agents of an unfathomably ancient terror.

>> No.23180092
File: 14 KB, 225x224, IMG_3110.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23180040
A lot of the recipes in this are pretty scary

>> No.23180097

>>23180092
Is that you, Martha Stewart?

>> No.23180100

>>23180092
GAAAAAAAHHH SAVE ME GLASSE’S ART OF COOKERY

>> No.23180183

>>23176373
Laird Barron’s first three collections and his first novel The Croning are some of the best horror I’ve read.

>> No.23180220

>>23174297
What do you think of Wieland? Reading it now.

>> No.23180531

Never read it. Again I just listed the works Lovecraft mentions in his essay.

Out of those, I’ve read the entirety of M. R. James stories which I highly recommend.

>> No.23180535

>>23180531
Meant for>>23180183

>> No.23180537

>>23180535
Dammit>>23180220

>> No.23180547

I am a wimp who absolutely hates horror films and any kind of jump scares, but sometime last year I decided to read Stephen King’s “Salem’s Lot” (my first horror novel and first Stephen King book). I absolutely loved it and began reading some other horror novels and have learned I really, really love horror novels. As a teenager I had read a lot of Lovecraft and had read Frankenstein and Dracula but that was the extent of anything horror related up until now in my early 30s. So far in the last year I’ve read/listened to the following horror novels:
>Salem’s Lot by King (9/10)
>The Shining by King (8.5/10)
>all of Christopher Beuhlman’s novels except the recent Blacktongue Thief series (really love them all, Between Two Fires was a 9/10 and the others slightly less)
>The Narrows by Ronald Malfi (7.5/10)
>Harvest Home by Thomas Tyron (7.5/10)
>The Old Gods Waken by Manly Wade Wellman (8/10)
>The Keep by F Paul Wilson (7/10)
>Blackwater saga by Michael McDowell (9.5/10, loved it but honestly it could have been spookier)
>Last Days by Adam Nevill (8/10)
>Revelator by Daryl Gregory (9/10)
>The Exorcist by Blatty (honestly didn’t really live up to the hype or up to how afraid I was of the film when I was a kid but still 8/10)
>Just started reading Twenty Days of Turin by Giorgio de Maria
Is there anything anyone here would recommend based on what I’ve read here? Any “classic” horror novels that I should definitely check out?

Sorry for the wall of text but I just feel like a kid in a candy store after learning I love something in my 30s after thinking I’d hate it all my life.

>> No.23180893

>>23180547
If you liked Harvest Home, I can recommend The Other, also by Tryon.
You could also check out The Elementals, by Michael McDowell.
Some classics you should definitely check out are Psycho, I Am Legend, Rosemary's Baby, Dark Gods, The Silence of the Lambs, The Cipher, and Books of Blood.

>> No.23180938

>>23180547
Peter Straub’s Ghost Story and Floating Dragon

>> No.23181317

>>23180547
More sci fi/creature feature in some respects but John Wyndham wrote a lot of classics (midwich cuckoos becomes village of the damned; day of the triffids; chrysalids; the kraken wakes; plan for chaos)

>> No.23182605

Why is it that Algernon Blackwood’s Willows managed to give me a genuine chill out of all the horror stories I had been reading in the 10+ years before I came upon it?

>> No.23183295

>>23182605
He’s just that good.

>> No.23184420
File: 603 KB, 1170x2046, IMG_7354.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If we’re going to list out all the works in Lovecraft’s Supernatural Horror in Literature, here’s the books Stephen King listed in the back of Danse Macabre

>> No.23184427
File: 688 KB, 1170x2283, IMG_7355.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23184420

>> No.23184431
File: 760 KB, 1170x2305, IMG_7356.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23184427

>> No.23184435
File: 755 KB, 1170x2301, IMG_7357.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23184431

>> No.23184440
File: 613 KB, 1170x2286, IMG_7358.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23184435

>> No.23184461

>>23184420
>>23184427
>>23184431
>>23184435
>>23184440
He also listed a top ten horror books of the period from 1950 to 1980:

>Ghost Story by Peter Straub (1979)
>The House Next Door by Anne River Siddons (1978)
>The Shrinking Man by Richard Matheson (1956)
>The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (1959)
>Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (1962)
>Strange Wine by Harlan Ellison (1978)
>Rosemary’s Baby by Ira Levin (1967)
>The Body Snatchers by Jack Finney (1954)
>The Doll Who Ate His Mother by Ramsey Campbell (1976)
>The Fog by James Herbert (1975)

>> No.23184470

>>23184420
Interesting list. Not as pulpy as I'd assumed (although I do love me some pulp!)

>> No.23184520

>>23182605
Do you do a lot of camping? I find that story popping into my head sometimes when Im on a long hike alone. The sound of wind in the trees will never be the same.

>> No.23184893

>>23177573
My nigga. The Descent is amazing, and exact moment that hooked me was the realization about the coins. There are a lot of elements in the story that don't really make sense imo, but I didn't really care because everything else is so good.

>> No.23184908

>>23180547
Let the Right One In

>> No.23185948

>>23184461
>The Doll Who Ate His Mother by Ramsey Campbell (1976)

Been meaning to find that book but it’s a very hard find. Copies on Amazon go for a lot. And they’re not in good condition.

>> No.23186447

>>23174296
good lord was this guy well read or what. What a chad

>> No.23186993

>>23186447
>read at the mountains of madness
>at a certain point realize i’m reading a literal archeological paper
>lovecraft spent 10 years writing nonfiction before returning to fiction
that explains how he wrote some parts of his stories as if actual scientists had written them