[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 428 KB, 1440x1080, trinity_college_00.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
23156157 No.23156157 [Reply] [Original]

Is there any project underway to conserve every word ever written until the 2000s digitally?
The internet is a big place, but most of it is used to keep Chad's and Stacey's beach day photos online.
I am afraid, that we will lose a lot of the written word, if we don t do something soon.
The classics will be preserved, but every once in a while you will come across a book written in the 16th century, that nobody knows about, or some translation that was published only once and which can t be found anywhere.
When I went to Ireland, I saw dozens of large tomes thrown and forgotten in the corner of a monastery. Since then I wonder what was hidden in them.
That was a big monastery, so of course those books were most probably studied, but I doubt, that all the medieval Codices have been read.
What stories may be buried in them?
I think that we should start a massive scanning project of everything from books, to painting, to sculptures and buildings, put all the information on ROM memory and hid them everywhere, deep inside the earth, in walls, on the lunar and martian surface, send them outside the solar system and give them as gifts to newborns as a symbol of inheriting the past.

>> No.23156166

>>23156157
Theres Archive.org, but even it is full of trash
Theres gutenberg project, the russian piracy sites, etc
The thing goes deeper than that
It isnt enough to just conserve data
You have to make sure people have a way to decode it, and that there will be people in the future who will understand and value it
Otherwise you are just making a lot of expensive trash
Thats why monasteries were so important, they were a highly discipline institution that went through the centuries not being contaminated by contemporaneity

>> No.23156210

>>23156157
A lot of universities and governments have been digitalizing their old books, manuscripts and printed both.
The French have a massive digital library of medieval books.
https://gallica.bnf.fr/accueil/en/content/accueil-en

German universities as well.

>> No.23156212

>>23156157
> saw dozens of large tomes thrown and forgotten in the corner of a monastery
lol this retard is having an existential crisis because he saw the account books of St. Stephen's Monastery for the years 1554-1566 getting dusty in a corner
dumbass nigger thinks they actually contain profound esoteric knowledge
this is like lamenting that your 3rd grade English grammar notebook is not preserved in an archive for its wealth of knowledge

>> No.23156215

>>23156212
>thinks they actually contain profound esoteric knowledge
he implied nothing of the sort

>> No.23156232

>>23156157
seed these or write them on the blockchain. wealthy insane people can etch them on tablets like l ron hubbard or something

https://archive.org/details/thetempleofsolomontheking_202006

>> No.23156233

>>23156157
Why preserve books when they are a dying medium?
>>23156157
>The internet is a big place, but most of it is used to keep Chad's and Stacey's beach day photos online.
It's like this because the two play on eachother. The pictorial was made for the instantaneous.

If you're concerned about the welfare of future generations, it'd be best to figure out how to help them using their own technology and not some archaic form.

>> No.23156234

>>23156215
>since the I wonder what was hidden in them
And how will you be raging today, now that I have proved you wrong? A söyjak?

>> No.23156288
File: 88 KB, 1280x720, monster_inc_secretary.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23156233
In the beginning was the Word.
>>23156212
my first thought was the meme that all scrolls at herculaneum are works of c list epicurean philosophers or copies of the Iliad
this version of that being copies of the Bible and like you said administrative documents, but there may be a chance that we will find something special in some of them
>this is like lamenting that your 3rd grade English grammar notebook is not preserved in an archive for its wealth of knowledge
actually i am lamenting that i can t find copies of my parents highschool physics textbooks on the internet to see how the curriculum changed over the years
another thing are old news papers
of course you may find them in libraries, but those places are run by menopausal old hags, who get extremely annoyed, when you break their workplace chats and gossip and make them get their fat asses off the chair

>> No.23156309

>>23156288
>old news papers
I know of two newspaper archives in my country that have records of multiple publications and magazines from the 19th century to today, some from the 18th.
We're not a wealthy country, and we're for sure not a country that values knowledge as much as others, so I refuse to believe your country doesn't have big newspaper archives when we have two massive ones.

>> No.23156316
File: 79 KB, 668x712, h8EsUQe1PBdx_49YEimLQNwLPkUC0GtuSEx-HcBXTCIZsPp3K-wzTwFvFL3DC3JVH1GpAspQ6EzjQFt1yQNqC3aJz8RJUEW3RIWEHQ.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23156157
I'm trying to create a compendium of human knowledge that will fit on a 32gb usb drive. The selection process is tough.

>> No.23156379

>>23156157
annas archives
archive.org

>> No.23156393

>>23156157
>digitally
>preserve
lol
you need an eternal server farm and most hard drives only last ten or so year. There's some storage devices billed to last 100 years, but what then? People aren't going to be using windows 30 in the year 2100. Well, they might actually, it's a slim possibility.
You need a million dollars to buy the hardware to store it. You need disaster-proof land to store it. You need power to keep it accessible. You need extra precautions against the elements that have redundancies in case of blackouts. And then you need a society or trust to look after it.
This is a cool billionaire pet project so you can try and fawn over a billionaire. Sadly the 'patron' system doesn't go from top to bottom anymore, which has really led to the decline of arts and sciences in general.

Electronics as a storage medium don't work out super well. Finding old screenshots from 2005 is a notable rarity now because most all of the time hard drives fail and files are wiped. In a way it's like classical texts, in dusty warehouses of crumbling manuscripts, only the most important-looking of them were copied due to limited labor or time (we're building a pub here in a month take all the papers you want).

>> No.23156396

>>23156316
those flash drives break after a decade
roll some copies every few years

>> No.23156432

>>23156234
>what was hidden in them
that doesn't imply profound esoteric knowledge
that just implies something is hidden in them
it could be just some monk complaining about itchy bedsheets
doesn't matter how banal it is, it should be preserved

>> No.23156575

>>23156393
>>23156396
i have heard that magnetic tape is better than hard drives for long term preservation, but it lacks speed
it s also a lot lighter

>> No.23156596

Yeah, we need to preserve all great translation and incoming works of Max Lawton.

>> No.23156650
File: 34 KB, 400x249, max_lawton.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23156596
i don t know how max lawton s translations are, since i am esl, but from your tone, and his muttoid face i can deduct that they are probably bad
even so, maybe somewhere in the future, a great man will pick up the pen and write the novel of his times.
perhaps that man was once a boy, who grew up with Max Lawton s translations, so any influence that another great man might have had on that boy should be regarded trough the words of Lawton

>> No.23156753

>>23156157
There are lots of organizations that preserve information.
They have collaborations with publishing agences, for absolutely anything that is published, books, newspapers, magazines, even random company memos that aren't private, they order a copy and keep it in a vault. Climate controlled, copies made, works preserved, catalogued, translated, they don't half ass these things.

In todays age it's impossible to lose any given piece of information by accident, what we should be worried about are people deliberately destroying information.
The burning of the library of Alexandria did not destroy all its manuscripts, it was the many centuries of Christianity that came afterwards that destroyed them.

>> No.23156765

lol I’m sure it’ll all be backed up, but in secret for (their) on records and knowledge while simultaneously slowly erasing and/or re-writing everything for future generations right before our eyes

>> No.23156777

>>23156765

Uh oh anon’s handler forgot to give him his meds today…