[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 159 KB, 677x407, Dark tower pic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2314080 No.2314080 [Reply] [Original]

Just read the whole series again (including the little sisters of eluria)

Have to say this has got to be my favorite book series of all time. Not only because its fun to read but also because of the ending which truly tied the knot for me:

SPOILER ON ENDING:

I think this was perfect because with every book they force some ending on it whether it be good or bad to the original plot, any ending seems 'fake' if that makes sense.

This one however had enough gall to say "there is no ending, there is no absolution, everything is repeated but hey heres something different." and as a reader I think that has got to be the best gift a writer can give me. It allows me to keep wondering what happens to Roland and let me know that anything can be possible, there is no absolution, it's not just King's story, it's evolved to our own.

So any other tower junkies out there?

>> No.2314084

>implying cyclic endings aren't old as shit

>> No.2314089

>>2314084

Well if you're looking for something completely new and never done before then...well have fun looking for something that doesn't exist.

I was simply implying that this was the perfect ending for this series, which is where I think alot of writers fail, sometimes the point of the conclusion isn't to wrap everything up neatly. Alot of writers do understand that a story needs a fitting ending to it, but some don't and instead strap on some generic "happily or not happily ever after" sequence just to show us it's done.

>> No.2314101

>>2314084
>implying that the dark tower isn't a mashup of old stories anyway so the cyclical ending fits perfectly in the remix

>> No.2314107

>>2314101
i never implied anything about the dark tower, lrn2readingcomprehension you fuck

>> No.2314156

Stephen King does unresolved endings in almost every one of his works. He just does it out of convenience, not as a narrative device. Is this your first time reading his novels?