[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 51 KB, 447x686, images (18) (26).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
23125416 No.23125416 [Reply] [Original]

Somehow I still haven't read LOTR, what's the best version?

>> No.23125434

I remember coming to middle school in the late 90s, which had a large modern library, which was incredible to me because mg elementary school had a library full of posters from the 60s but hardly any books.

Anyway the first thing that drew my eye was a huge leather bound copy of lotr with gold leaf elvish script or whatever the fuck..

The movies were gay though

>> No.23125441
File: 8 KB, 225x225, 1707013137539175.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23125416
I'd probably just get the one volume edition. Harbacks are pretty cheap for what they are and high quality too. You can get the Single-volume illustrated edition and it's probably the best one.

>> No.23125470

I went with the 50th anniversary with the slipcase, but it seems like it's worth more than it was like a year ago for some reason. The original red leather collector's edition is cool. The new "illustrated by the author" ones include too many random sketches that were never intended to actually be printed in the book.

>> No.23125574

/// Beads of sweat stood out on his forehead /// Members from both parties should repudiate his comments /// The project was flawed from the outset /// What they researchers found questions the image of pliosaurs as the rapacious big game hunters they're often portrayed as /// Shrapnel from the bomb ripped into the side of the airplane /// The new evidence clinches the case /// He will be loath to leave via the back door, quietly /// Things can change in a heartbeat /// We investigate the issues of inductive problem-solving and learning by doxastic agents /// The ship docked at long last /// If a chief constable takes umbrage at a man and fines him, there is often no promotion for him /// They spent much of the time reminiscing about the war, as old soldiers are wont to do /// Six new coaches will bow in during the preseason play /// Just as with cholera and smallpox in the 19th century, infection there spreads to us all /// They came in resplendent in evening dress /// I congratulate him on his deftness in devising this escape for us /// What can the civilised world do about those who indulge in barbaric behaviour and skulk behind diplomatic immunity? /// As these mistresses aged, however, their wealthy paramours abandoned them for younger women /// The government seized the land without recompense to the owners /// The teacher gave us a pop quiz /// You won't be able to go off gallivanting around like this when there's a baby to be taken care of ///

>> No.23125583

>>23125574
this is tolkien writing? lol, absolute dogshit.

>> No.23125638

>>23125583
>absolute dogshit
yes
>this is tolkien writing?
retard no, idk wtf that is but it isn't tolkien

>> No.23125645

>>23125416
>best version
i know some of the books look pretty anon but you should know that they all have the same words inside, just get one and read it
or if that answer doesn't suit you then go for the elephant hide edition, whatever

>> No.23125660

>>23125645
This. It's not the Bible.

>> No.23125663

>>23125583
Literal idiot

>> No.23125710

>>23125663
But I am literal

>> No.23125719

>>23125663
Maybe it's a littoral idiot?

>> No.23125853

The audiobooks by Andy Serkis. Pure kino

>> No.23125858

>>23125441
>Single-volume illustrated edition
The one with Tolkien's retard sketches or Alan Lee's stuff?

>> No.23126453

Most recommend Hobbit then LOTR then the Silmarillion to fill in the backstory.

But there are plenty that suggest that the Silmarillion should be read first

one guy that did it that way said

>for me, reading the LotR without having read the Silmarillion would be like reading about the American Civil War having to guess what slavery, cotton and the United States are

>When reading the Hobbit and the LotR, you know the settings. Others have pointed that LotR focuses on hobbits and they nearly aren't mentioned in the Silmarillion. Hovever, the LotR has a prologue about hobbits but it doesn't have an introduction to men, elves and dwarfs. By reading the Silmarillion you start the other books knowing what they are, and knowing a lot about the Middle Earth

>This way of reading makes the three books appear as parts of the same story, that is mostly contained in the Silmarillion. If you enjoy that bigger story, it flows more naturally if read in chronological order than if you reand The Silmarillion last to fill in the backstory.

one guy even did it this way

>I spent an extensive amount of time as an undergrad writing about and researching The Hobbit, especially in terms of Tolkien's famous essay on Beowulf. Getting a sense of what inspired Tolkien greatly enhanced my understanding of and appreciation for The Hobbit.

Note that the Silmarillion starts on such a gigantic scale that the early part of this book has been compared to The Bible. It's a collection of stories that illustrate how Arda ("The World") was created by Eru Iluvatar; His Children, the Elves and Men; events during the Years of the Trees

some readers suggest skipping ahead to the beginning of the Elvish histories (“Quenta Silmarillion”); the main bulk of the book: events of the First Age concerning The Silmarils

What's The Lord of the Rings about? It's a trilogy focusing on the events of the Third Age

>> No.23126515 [DELETED] 

La alpaca alfredo vs Juan Cisco