[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 64 KB, 640x480, Ain't She Pretty.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
23056285 No.23056285 [Reply] [Original]

>> No.23056288

Women are soft and smell nice. It's all too easy for a young fellow to succumb to their insidious charms, only to discover three days later that his bathroom is full of little bottles, his Spengler first edition is on e-Bay and his prose style has gone to pot.

Here are a hundred quotations to help /lit/ anons maintain their stern, monastic demeanour. Some non-fiction; one opera libretto. Any resemblance to a quiz from 2022 is purely incidental.

Translations marked [*]. Hints on request.

The authors:

Unknown author, Anonymous /lit/ poster

Dante Alighieri, Kingsley Amis, Thomas Aquinas, Ludovico Ariosto, Aristophenes, Aristotle, Jane Austen

Honoré de Balzac, Samuel Beckett, Saul Bellow, Eric Berne, Ambrose Bierce, Giovanni Boccaccio, Patrick O’Brien, James Boswell, Thomas Browne, Charles Bukowski, Richard Burton, Robert Burton, Lord Byron

James Branch Cabell, John Le Carré, Louis-Ferdinand Céline, Miguel Cervantes, Chambers Dictionary, Nicolas Chamfort, Raymond Chandler, John Cheever, Peter Cheyney, Confucius, William Congreve

Roald Dahl, Isak Dinesen, Bejamin Disraeli

George Eliot

William Faulkner, Henry Fielding, Bobby Fischer, Ian Fleming, Sigmund Freud

J. W. von Goethe, Robert Graves

Dashiell Hammett, William Hazlitt, Robert A. Heinlein, Ernest Hemingway, Christopher Hitchens, Ted Hughes

Henrik Ibsen

Jerome K. Jerome, Ben Jonson, James Joyce, Juvenal

John Keats, Rudyard Kipling, John Knox

D. H. Lawrence, Guillaume de Lorris & Jean de Meung

Martial, W. Somerset Maugham, Guy de Maupassant, Cormac McCarthy, H. L. Mencken, Thomas Middleton, John Milton, Michel de Montaigne

Cheikh Nefzaoui, Friedrich Nietzsche

Joe Orton, George Orwell, John Osborne

Saint Paul, Samuel Pepys, Fernando Pessoa, Petronius, Plato, Lorenzo da Ponte, Alexander Pope, William Prynne

François Rabelais, Elliot Rodger, Damon Runyon

Saki, Siegfried Sasson, Arthur Schopenhauer, William Shakespeare, George Bernard Shaw, King Solomon, Jonathan Swift

Alfred Lord Tennyson, Terence, W. M. Thackeray, Hunter S. Thompson, James Thurber, Leo Tolstoy

Otto Weininger, Oscar Wilde, P. G. Wodehouse

>> No.23056291

1)
FIRST ARTICLE [I, Q. 92, Art. 1]

Whether the Woman Should Have Been Made in the First Production of Things?

Objection 1: It would seem that the woman should not have been made in the first production of things. For the Philosopher says (De Gener. ii, 3), that “the female is a misbegotten male”. But nothing misbegotten or defective should have been in the first production of things. Therefore woman should not have been made at that first production.

[*]

2)
“Ira, do you know the ancient Chinese ideogram for ‘trouble’?”
I admitted that I did not.
“Don’t bother to guess. It’s ‘Two Women Under One Roof.’ We’re going to have problems.”

3)
It is only the man whose intellect is clouded by his sexual instinct that could give that stunted, narrow-shouldered, broad-hipped, and short-legged race the name of the *fair sex*; for the entire beauty of the sex is based on this instinct. One would be more justified in calling them the unaesthetic sex than the beautiful. Neither for music, nor for poetry, nor for fine art have they any real or true sense and susceptibility, and it is mere mockery on their part, in their desire to please, if they affect any such thing.

[*]

4)
Woman! when I behold thee flippant, vain,
Inconstant, childish, proud, and full of fancies . . .

5)
Nothing so common to this sex as oaths, vows, and protestations, and as I have already said, tears, which they have at command; for they can so weep, that one would think their very hearts were dissolved within them, and would come out in tears; their eyes are like rocks, which still drop water, ‘diariae lachrymae et sudoris in modum lurgeri promptae’, saith Aristaenetus, they wipe away their tears like sweat, weep with one eye, laugh with the other; or as children weep and cry, they can both together.

Neve puellarum lachrymis moveare memento,
Ut flerent oculos erudiere suos.

Care not for women’s tears, I counsel thee,
They teach their eyes as much to weep as see.

And as much pity is to be taken of a woman weeping, as of a goose going barefoot.

>> No.23056296

6)
Are dames funny? You’re tellin’ me. I reckon that if it wasn’t for dames I should be doin’ some other sorta job. The guy who said *cherchez la femme* didn’t know the half of it. It’s one thing to *cherchez* ’em an’ another thing to know what you’re goin’ to do with ’em when you’ve found ’em.

Any dame who has got a face that don’t hurt an’ whose shape entitles her to credit in a swim suit advertisement is always goin’ to start somethin’ whenever she can, just to teach herself that she can still pack a wallop where the boys are concerned. An’ anytime you run into a sweet bunch of trouble you can bet your next month’s pay that you are goin’ to find some baby sittin’ right down at the bottom of it all lookin’ innocent and packin’ a six-inch knife in the top of her silk stockin’ just in case she needs it for peelin’ apples.

7)
My heart’s on fire, Calonice! I’m enraged
At us — at married women — for although
Men say we’re such a cunning, scheming bunch . . .

— Because we are, no question!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . when I call
A meeting to discuss some weighty thing,
The whole lot stay in bed — not one shows up.

[*]

8)
They lead beautiful lives — women. Lives not only divorced from, but irrevocably excommunicated from, all reality.

9)
Those girls, those girls, those lovely seaside girls. Fine eyes she had, clear. It’s the white of the eye brings that out not so much the pupil. Did she know what I? Course. Like a cat sitting beyond a dog’s jump.

10)
. . . this other business I’m very proud of:
How I helped a young man see
The unpleasant truth about courtesans,
So that they will evermore disgust him.
They seem so elegant in public!
So graceful, so well-dressed, so particular.
And then in private . . . they slobber with their lover while eating.
They’re such slatterns at home:
They live in filth and squalor.
And so greedy — to see them stuffing themselves
With yesterday’s black bread . . .
Such knowledge keeps a young man safe.

[*]

>> No.23056300

11)
When Lulu grew up and stood in the flower of her young loveliness she was a slim delicately rounded doe, from her nose to her toes unbelieveably beautiful. She looked like a minutely painted illustration to Heine’s song of the wise and gentle gazelles by the flow of the river Ganges.

But Lulu was not really gentle, she had the so called devil in her. She had, to the highest degree, the feminine trait of appearing to be exclusively on the defensive, concentrated on guarding the integrity of her being, when she was really, with every force in her, bent upon the offensive. Against whom? Against the whole world . . .

12)
The whole World was made for man, but the twelfth part of man for woman: Man is the whole World, and the Breath of God; Woman the Rib and crooked piece of man. I could be content that we might procreate like trees, without conjunction, or that there were any way to perpetuate the World without this trivial and vulgar way of coition; it is the foolishest act a wise man commits in all his life; nor is there any thing that will more deject his cool’d imagination, when he shall consider what an odd and unworthy piece of folly he hath committed.

13)
The modern dame is waked by noon,
(Some authors say not quite so soon)
Because, though sore against her will,
She sat all night up at quadrille.

14)
Women give to friendship only what they borrow from love. An imperious and ugly woman trying to be attractive is a pauper asking for charity.

[*]

15)
“They are not coming this way, are they? I hope they are not so impertinent as to follow us. Pray let me know if they are coming. I am determined I will not look up.”

In a few moments Catherine, with unaffected pleasure, assured her that she need not be longer uneasy, as the gentlemen had just left the pump-room.

“And which way are they gone?” said Isabella, turning hastily round. “One was a very good-looking young man.”

>> No.23056304

16)
The *principle of sufficient reason* is the vital nerve, the foundation of syllogism. Psychologically, however, the premises of a conclusion are always earlier judgments, which precede the conclusion in time and which must be captured by the thinking person, just as the concepts are, so to speak, protected by the principles of identity and contradiction. The reasons of a human being must always be sought in his past. That is why the maxim of continuity, which entirely dominates human thinking, is so closely connected with causality. Whenever the principle of sufficient reason comes into effect psychologically, it requires a continuous memory which preserves all identities. Since W knows neither this kind of memory nor any other continuity, *the principium rationis sufficientis does not exist for her.*

*It is therefore correct to say that Woman has no logic.*

[*]

17)
Women are like tricks by sleight of hand
Which, to admire, we should not understand.

18)
They were both beautifully got up — all lace and silky stuff, and flowers, and ribbons, and dainty shoes, and light gloves. But they were dressed for a photographic studio, not for a river picnic. They were the “boating costumes” of a French fashion-plate. It was ridiculous, fooling about in them anywhere near real earth, air, and water.

The first thing was that they thought the boat was not clean. We dusted all the seats for them, and then assured them that it was, but they didn’t believe us. One of them rubbed the cushion with the forefinger of her glove, and showed the result to the other, and they both sighed, and sat down, with the air of early Christian martyrs trying to make themselves comfortable up against the stake.

19)
It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers-out of unorthodoxy.

20)
When she left, Wilson was thinking, when she went off to cry she seemed a hell of a fine woman. She seemed to understand, to realize, to be hurt for him and for herself and to know how things really stood. She is away for twenty minutes and now she is back, simply enamelled in that American female cruelty. They are the damnedest women. Really the damnedest.

>> No.23056308

21)
WOMAN, n.
An animal usually living in the vicinity of Man, and having a rudimentary susceptibility to domestication. It is credited by many of the elder zoologists with a certain vestigial docility acquired in a former state of seclusion, but naturalists of the postsusananthony period, having no knowledge of the seclusion, deny the virtue and declare that such as creation’s dawn beheld, it roareth now. The species is the most widely distributed of all beasts of prey, infesting all habitable parts of the globe, from Greenland's spicy mountains to India's moral strand. The popular name (wolfman) is incorrect, for the creature is of the cat kind. The woman is lithe and graceful in its movement, especially the American variety (felis pugnans), is omnivorous and can be taught not to talk.

22)
I think that nature and an angry God
Produced thee to the world, thou wicked sex,
To be to man a plague, a chastening rod;
Happy, wert thou not present to perplex!

[*]

23)
When Jan finally came home — a week later — she accused me of having had a woman here, because everything looked so clean. She acted very angry, but it was just a cover for her own guilt. I couldn’t understand why I didn’t get rid of her. She was compulsively unfaithful — she’d go off with anyone she met in a bar, and the lower and the dirtier he was the better she liked it. She was continually using our arguments to justify herself. I kept telling myself that all the women in the world weren’t whores, just mine.

24)
Conradin was dreadfully afraid of the lithe, sharp-fanged beast, but it was his most treasured possession. Its very presence in the tool-shed was a secret and fearful joy, to be kept scrupulously from the knowledge of the Woman, as he privately dubbed his cousin.

25)
25th (Christmas-day). To church in the morning, and there saw a wedding in the church, which I have not seen many a day; and the young people so merry one with another, and strange to see what delight we married people have to see these poor fools decoyed into our condition, every man and woman gazing and smiling at them.

>> No.23056312

26)
Women together cannot keep silent in a car, and when women talk they have to look into each other’s faces. An exchange of words is not enough. They have to see the other person’s expression, perhaps in order to read behind the other’s words or to analyze the reaction to their own. So two women in the front seat of a car constantly distract each other’s attention from the road ahead and four women are more than doubly dangerous, for the driver has to hear, and see, not only what her companion is saying but also, for women are like that, what the two behind are talking about.

27)
Men, some to business, some to pleasure take;
But every woman is at heart a rake:
Men, some to quiet, some to public strife;
But every lady would be queen for life.

28)
. . . whereas the dissolutenesse of our lascivious, impudent, rattle-pated gadding females now is such that as if they had purposely studied to appropriate to themselves King Solomon's memorable character of an whorish woman, with an impudent face, a subtle heart and the attire of an Harlot; they are loud and stubborn; their feet abide not in their houses; now they are without, now in the streets, and lie in wait at every corner; being never well pleased nor contented, but when they are wandering abroad to Plays, Playhouses, Dancing-Matches, Masques, and Public Shows . . .

29)
Women upset everything. When you let them into your life, you find that the woman is driving at one thing and you’re driving at another.

30)
. . . What did the wanton say?
‘Not mount as high;’ we scarce can sink as low:
For men at most differ as Heaven and earth,
But women, worst and best, as Heaven and Hell.
I know the Table Round, my friends of old;
All brave, and many generous, and some chaste.
She cloaks the scar of some repulse with lies;
I well believe she tempted them and failed,
Being so bitter: for fine plots may fail,
Though harlots paint their talk as well as face
With colours of the heart that are not theirs.

>> No.23056315

31)
Next day, Sunday, July 31, I told him I had been that morning at a meeting of the people called Quakers, where I had heard a woman preach. JOHNSON. ‘Sir, a woman’s preaching is like a dog’s walking on his hinder legs. It is not done well; but you are surprized to find it done at all.’

32)
You love us when we're heroes, home on leave,
Or wounded in a mentionable place.

33)
They were great friends, Miss Hickson, Mrs. Richman and Arrow Sutcliffe. It was their fat that had brought them together and bridge that had cemented their alliance. They had met first at Carlsbad, where they were staying at the same hotel and were treated by the same doctor who used them with the same ruthlessness. Beatrice Richman was enormous. She was a handsome woman, with fine eyes, rouged cheeks and painted lips. She was very well content to be a widow with a handsome fortune. She adored her food. She liked bread and butter, cream, potatoes and suet puddings, and for eleven months of the year ate pretty well everything she had a mind to, and for one month went to Carlsbad to reduce. But every year she grew fatter. She upbraided the doctor, but got no sympathy from him. He pointed out to her various plain and simple facts.

“But if I’m never to eat a thing I like, life isn’t worth living,” she expostulated.

He shrugged his disapproving shoulders. Afterwards she told Miss Hickson that she was beginning to suspect he wasn’t so clever as she had thought.

34)
In Second-Degree ‘Rapo’, or ‘Indignation’, White gets only secondary satisfaction from Black’s advances. Her primary gratification comes from rejecting him, so that this game is also colloquially known as ‘Buzz Off, Buster’. She leads Black into a much more serious commitment than the mild flirtation of First-Degree ‘Rapo’ and enjoys watching his discomfiture when she repulses him.

35)
“Thirty-five is a very attractive age. London society is full of women of the very highest birth who have, of their own free choice, remained thirty-five for years.”

>> No.23056319

36)
In the open channel he had himself rowed round the *Sophie*: he considered her from every angle, and at the same time he weighed the advantages and disadvantages of sending all the women ashore. It would be easy to find most of them while the men were at their dinner: not merely the local girls who were there for fun and pocket-money, but also the semi-permanent judies. If he made one sweep now, then another just before their true departure might clear the sloop entirely. He wanted no women aboard. They only caused trouble, and with this fresh influx they would cause even more . . .

37)
I had heard from various men, and especially from Einhom, about women's fanaticism in love, how for them all life was knotted around this one thing whereas men found several other vital places of attachment and therefore were more like to avoid monomania.

38)
No more of that meat, Sordido, here’s eggs o’ th’ spit now.
We must turn gingerly; draw out the catalogue
Of all the faults of women.

How, all the faults? have you so little reason to think so much paper will lie in my breeches? Why ten carts will not carry it, if you set down but the bawds. All the faults? pray let’s be content with a few of ’em; and if they were less, you would find ’em enough, I warrant you.

39)
A woman is only a woman,
But a good cigar is a smoke.

40)
“Ladies, albeit that which Pampinea allegeth is excellently well said, yet is there no occasion for running, as meseemeth you would do. Remember that we are all women and none of us is child enough not to know how little reasonable women are among themselves and how ill, without some man's guidance, they know how to order themselves. We are fickle, wilful, suspicious, faint-hearted and timorous, for which reasons I misdoubt me sore, an we take not some other guidance than our own, that our company will be far too soon dissolved and with less honour to ourselves than were seemly; wherefore we should do well to provide ourselves, ere we begin.”

[*]

>> No.23056323

41)
It was raining again the next morning, a slanting gray rain like a swung curtain of crystal beads. I got up feeling sluggish and tired and stood looking out of the windows, with a dark harsh taste of Sternwoods still in my mouth. I was as empty of life as a scarecrow’s pockets. I went out to the kitchenette and drank two cups of black coffee. You can have a hangover from other things than alcohol. I had one from women. Women made me sick.

42)
The Master said, ‘Of all people, girls and servants are the most difficult to deal with. If you are familiar with them, they lose their humility. If you maintain reserve, they grow discontented.’

[*]

43)
Well, the scragging of Mr. Justin Veezee is a very great sensation, and the newspapers make quite a lot of it, because there is no doubt but what it is the greatest mystery in this town in several weeks. Furthermore, anybody that ever as much as speaks to Mr. Justin Veezee in the past twenty years becomes very sorry for it when the newspapers commence printing their names and pictures, and especially any dolls who have any truck with Mr. Justin Veezee in the past, for naturally the newspaper scribes and the gendarmes are around asking them where they are at such and such an hour on such and such a date, and it is quite amazing how few guys and dolls can remember this off-hand, especially dolls.

44)
A little still she strove, and much repented,
And whispering “I will ne’er consent” — consented.

45)
I had a flat underneath a couple of girls once. You heard every damned thing those bastards did, all day and night. The most simple, everyday actions were a sort of assault course on your sensibilities. I used to plead with them. I even got to screaming the most ingenious obscenities I could think of, up the stairs at them. But nothing, nothing, would move them. With those two, even a simple visit to the lavatory sounded like a medieval siege. Oh, they beat me in the end — I had to go. I expect they’re still at it. Or they’re probably married by now, and driving some other poor devils out of their minds. Slamming their doors, stamping their high heels, banging their irons and saucepans — the eternal flaming racket of the female.

>> No.23056330

46)
Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

47)
I hate women because they throw baseballs (or plates or vases) with the wrong foot advanced. I marvel that more of them have not broken their backs.

48)
Then, if you love your wife, or rather dote on her, sir: O, how she’ll torture you! and take pleasure in your torments! you shall lie with her but when she lists; she will not hurt her beauty, her complexion; or it must be for that jewel, or that pearl, when she does: every half hour’s pleasure must be bought anew: and with the same pain and charge you woo’d her at first.

49)
Vamp (n.)
A featherless bird of prey.

50)
I said hesitantly, “Could we go back to Dr Collings for a moment? When we talked about her before, I thought you were saying, of course it was difficult in front of my wife, but I thought you were saying that she was getting at me, sorry, that Dr Collings was getting at me out of sheer malice, and I *thought* you meant that she was simply trying to . . . ”

“Fuck you up because you were a man,” said Nash, disconcerting me to some extent. “Yes, Mr Duke, that was what I meant. As you say, I was a little inhibited by your wife’s presence.”

“But surely, Dr Nash, that’s not enough of a motive on its own to make somebody, you know, in a professional matter like that, with these very important things at stake . . . ”

“Not enough of a motive?” His voice had gone high. “Fucking up a man? Not enough of a motive? What are you talking about? Good God, you've had wives, haven’t you? And not impossibly had some acquaintance with other women as well? You can’t be new to feeling the edge of the most powerful weapon in their armoury. You must have suffered before from the effect of their having noticed, at least the brighter ones among them having noticed, that men are different, men quite often wonder whether they’re doing the right thing and worry about it, men have been known to blame themselves for behaving badly, men not only feel they've made mistakes but on occasion will actually admit having done so, and say they’re sorry, and ask to be forgiven, and promise not to do it again, and mean it. Think of that! Mean it. All beyond female comprehension. Which incidentally is why they’re not novelists and must never be priests. Not enough of a motive? They don’t have motives as you and I understand them. They have the means and the opportunity, that is enough.”

>> No.23056336

51)
Why are women, who have the whole male world at their mercy, not funny? Please do not pretend not to know what I am talking about.

52)
Nature, I say, doth paynt them further to be weak, fraile, impacient, feble, and foolishe; and experience hath declared them to be unconstant, variable, cruell, and lacking the spirit of counsel and regiment.

53)
The most effective lure that a woman can hold out to a man is the lure of what he fatuously conceives to be her beauty. This so-called beauty, of course, is almost always a pure illusion. The female body, even at its best, is very defective in form; it has harsh curves and very clumsily distributed masses; compared to it the average milk-jug, or even cuspidor, is a thing of intelligent and gratifying design — in brief, an *objet d’art*. The fact was curiously (and humorously) displayed during the late war, when great numbers of women in all the belligerent countries began putting on uniforms. Instantly they appeared in public in their grotesque burlesques of the official garb of aviators, elevator boys, bus conductors, train guards, and so on, their deplorable deficiency in design was unescapably revealed. A man, save he be fat, i.e., of womanish contours, usually looks better in uniform than in mufti; the tight lines set off his figure. But a woman is at once given away: she looks like a dumbbell run over by an express train. Below the neck by the bow and below the waist astern there are two masses that simply refuse to fit into a balanced composition. Viewed from the side, she presents an exaggerated S bisected by an imperfect straight line, and so she inevitably suggests a drunken dollar-mark. Her ordinary clothing cunningly conceals this fundamental imperfection. It swathes those impossible masses in draperies soothingly uncertain of outline. But putting her into uniform is like stripping her. Instantly all her alleged beauty vanishes.

54)
When women had faults he often found them charming. When, while dieting rigorously and continuously talking about their diet, they are found eating a candy bar in a parking lot, one is enchanted.

55)
Like house-encumber’d Snail we creep,
While far ahead the women keep:
For when to the devil’s house we speed,
By a thousand steps they take the lead!

[*]

>> No.23056340

56)
The psychical consequences of envy for the penis, in so far as it does not become absorbed in the reaction-formation of the masculinity complex, are various and far-reaching. After a woman has become aware of the wound to her narcissism, she develops, like a scar, a sense of inferiority. When she has has passed beyond her first attempt at explaining her lack of a penis as being a punishment personal to herself and has realized that that sexual character is a universal one, she begins to share the contempt felt by men for a sex which is the lesser in so important a respect, and, at least in holding that opinion, insists on being like a man.

[*]

57)
But when you come to women, women all belong to the kite species: no one ought to waste a good turn upon one of them; it’s just like throwing it down a well!

[*]

58)
One evening in March, Rosamond in her cherry-colored dress with swansdown trimming about the throat sat at the tea-table; Lydgate, lately come in tired from his outdoor work, was seated sideways on an easy-chair by the fire with one leg over the elbow, his brow looking a little troubled as his eyes rambled over the columns of the “Pioneer,” while Rosamond, having noticed that he was perturbed, avoided looking at him, and inwardly thanked heaven that she herself had not a moody disposition.

59)
“In what part of a woman's body does her mind reside?”
“Between her thighs.”
“And where her enjoyment?”
“In the same place.”

[*]

60)
We are not to tie learning to the soul, but to work and incorporate them together: not to tincture it only, but to give it a thorough and perfect dye; which, if it will not take colour, and meliorate its imperfect state, it were without question better to let it alone. ‘Tis a dangerous weapon, that will hinder and wound its master, if put into an awkward and unskilful hand:

“Ut fuerit melius non didicisse.” [“So that it were better not to have learned.” — Cicero]

And this, peradventure, is the reason why neither we nor theology require much learning in women; and that Francis, Duke of Brittany, son of John V., one talking with him about his marriage with Isabella the daughter of Scotland, and adding that she was homely bred, and without any manner of learning, made answer, that he liked her the better, and that a woman was wise enough, if she could distinguish her husband’s shirt from his doublet.

[*]

>> No.23056346

61)
One boy who was tall and had blonde hair called me a “loser”, right in front of his girlfriends. Yes, he had girls with him. Pretty girls. And they didn’t seem to mind that he was such an evil bastard. In fact, I bet they liked him for it. This is how girls are, and I was starting to realize it.

62)
Frailty, thy name is woman!

63)
. . . Wherefore women are more compassionate and more readily made to weep, more jealous and querulous, more fond of railing, and more contentious. The female also is more subject to depression of spirits and despair than the male. She is also more shameless and false, more readily deceived, and more mindful of injury, more watchful, more idle, and on the whole less excitable than the male.

[*]

64)
What is this strange outcry? he said. I sent away the women mainly in order that they might not misbehave in this way, for I have been told that a man should die in peace. Be quiet, then, and have patience.

[*]

65)
She then took from her pocket a purse and drew out a knotted string, whereon were strung five hundred and seventy seal rings, and asked, “Know ye what be these?” They answered her saying, “We know not!” Then quoth she; “These be the signets of five hundred and seventy men who have all futtered me upon the horns of this foul, this foolish, this filthy Ifrit; so give me also your two seal rings, ye pair of brothers.” When they had drawn their two rings from their hands and given them to her, she said to them, "Of a truth this Ifrit bore me off on my bride-night, and put me into a casket and set the casket in a coffer and to the coffer he affixed seven strong padlocks of steel and deposited me on the deep bottom of the sea that raves, dashing and clashing with waves; and guarded me so that I might remain chaste and honest, quotha! that none save himself might have connexion with me. But I have lain under as many of my kind as I please, and this wretched Jinni wotteth not that Destiny may not be averted nor hindered by aught, and that whatso woman willeth the same she fulfilleth however man nilleth.”

[*]

>> No.23056350

66)
RANCE:
Under the influence of the drug I’ve administered, Miss Barclay, you are relaxed and unafraid. I’m going to ask you some questions which I want answered in a clear non-technical style. (TO DR. PRENTICE) She’ll take that as an invitation to use bad language. (TO GERALDINE) Who was the first man in your life?

GERALDINE:
My father.

RANCE:
Did he assault you?

GERALDINE:
No!

RANCE:
(TO DR. PRENTICE) She may mean ‘Yes’ when she says ‘No’. It’s elementary feminine psychology.

67)
Madame Marneffes are to be seen in every sphere of social life, even at Court; for Valerie is a melancholy fact, modeled from the life in the smallest details. And, alas! the portrait will not cure any man of the folly of loving these sweetly-smiling angels, with pensive looks and candid faces, whose heart is a cash-box.

[*]

68)
It was an excellent thing to be a gentleman: but it proved always fatal, too, in the end, simply because no lady was a gentleman.

69)
The great are deceived if they imagine they have appropriated ambition and vanity to themselves. These noble qualities flourish as notably in a country church and churchyard as in the drawing-room, or in the closet. Schemes have indeed been laid in the vestry which would hardly disgrace the conclave. Here is a ministry, and here is an opposition. Here are plots and circumventions, parties and factions, equal to those which are to be found in courts.

Nor are the women here less practised in the highest feminine arts than their fair superiors in quality and fortune. Here are prudes and coquettes. Here are dressing and ogling, falsehood, envy, malice, scandal; in short, everything which is common to the most splendid assembly, or politest circle. Let those of high life, therefore, no longer despise the ignorance of their inferiors; nor the vulgar any longer rail at the vices of their betters.

70)
Just then Chennault came up from the beach, wearing the same white bikini and carrying a big beach towel. She smiled at Yeamon: “They came again. I heard them talking.”

“Goddammit,” Yeamon snapped. “Why do you keep going down there? What the hell is wrong with you?”

She smiled and sat down on the towel. “It’s my favourite place. Why should I leave just because of them?”

>> No.23056354

71)
Beauty in trouble flees to the good angel,
On whom she can rely
To pay her cab-fare, run a steaming bath,
Poultice her bruised eye;

Will not at first, whether for shame or caution,
Her difficulty disclose,
Until he draws a cheque-book from his plumage,
Asking how much she owes.

72)
Women are a good source of dreams. Don’t ever touch them.

[*]

73)
“The chief thing,” I advised them, “is not to let her tire you out. When you catch her in a lie, she admits it and gives you another lie to take its place and, when you catch her in that one, admits it and gives you still another, and so on. Most people — even women — get discouraged after you’ve caught them in the third or fourth straight lie and fall back on either the truth or silence, but not Mimi. She keeps trying and you’ve got to be careful or you’ll find yourself believing her, not because she seems to be telling the truth, but simply because you’re tired of disbelieving her.”

74)
Such is the way of an adulterous woman; she eateth, and wipeth her mouth, and saith, I have done no wickedness.

75)
My worthy friend, the nature of women is set forth before our eyes and represented to us by the moon, in divers other things as well as in this, that they squat, skulk, constrain their own inclinations, and, with all the cunning they can, dissemble and play the hypocrite in the sight and presence of their husbands; who come no sooner to be out of the way, but that forthwith they take their advantage, pass the time merrily, desist from all labour, frolic it, gad abroad, lay aside their counterfeit garb, and openly declare and manifest the interior of their dispositions, even as the moon, when she is in conjunction with the sun, is neither seen in the heavens nor on the earth, but in her opposition, when remotest from him, shineth in her greatest fulness, and wholly appeareth in her brightest splendour whilst it is night. Thus women are but women.

When I say womankind, I speak of a sex so frail, so variable, so changeable, so fickle, inconstant, and imperfect, that in my opinion Nature, under favour, nevertheless, of the prime honour and reverence which is due unto her, did in a manner mistake the road which she had traced formerly, and stray exceedingly from that excellence of providential judgment by the which she had created and formed all other things, when she built, framed, and made up the woman.

[*]

>> No.23056359

76)
“Why do not you marry, Hugo?” said Bertram.

“I respect the institution,” said Hugo, “which is admitting something in these days; and I have always thought that every woman should marry, and no man.”

77)
Who has not seen how women bully women? What tortures have men to endure, comparable to those daily repeated shafts of scorn and cruelty with which poor women are riddled by the tyrants of their sex?

78)
We felt counted, watched, serial-numbered, enrolled in the vast multitude that would soon be leaving for the front. So naturally all the civilian and medical personnel around us seemed more cheerful than we were. The nurses, the bitches, weren’t in the same boat, their only thought was to go on living, to live longer and longer, to live and love, to stroll in the park and to copulate thousands and thousands of times. Every one of those angelic creatures had a plan all worked out in her perineum, like a convict, a little plan for love later on, when all of us soldier boys should have perished in God knows what mud and God knows how!

Then they would sigh with a very special commemorative tenderness that would make them more attractive than ever; interspersed with heartbreaking silences, they would evoke the tragic days of the war, the ghosts . . . “Do you remember little Bardamu?” they would say in the gathering dusk, thinking of me, the lad who had coughed so much and given them such a time to make him stop . . . “Poor boy, his morale was way down . . . I wonder what became of him?”

A few poetic regrets, if adroitly placed, are as becoming to a woman as gossamer hair in the moonlight.

[*]

79)
They’re all weak, all women. They’re stupid compared to men. They shouldn’t play chess, you know. They’re like beginners. They lose every single game against a man. There isn’t a woman player in the world I can’t give knight-odds to and still beat.

80)
No woman blessed with feather bed
Will ever suffer childbirth's dread:
Such arts she'll use, such drugs consume
To kill the infant in the womb.
Rejoice, you cuck! Yourself should feed
Her lips with what she claims to need.
Who knows who stretched her out with vigour?
You might be father to a nigger!

[*]

>> No.23056364

81)
“What do you mean by the power of women?” I said. “Everybody, on the contrary, complains that women have not sufficient rights, that they are in subjection.”

“That’s it; that’s it exactly,” said he, vivaciously. “That is just what I mean, and that is the explanation of this extraordinary phenomenon, that on the one hand woman is reduced to the lowest degree of humiliation and on the other hand she reigns over everything. See the Jews: with their power of money, they avenge their subjection, just as the women do. ‘Ah! you wish us to be only merchants? All right; remaining merchants, we will get possession of you,’ say the Jews. ‘Ah! you wish us to be only objects of sensuality? All right; by the aid of sensuality we will bend you beneath our yoke,’ say the women.”

[*]

82)
That reminds me of the old joke about the female soul. Question, Have women a soul? Answer, Yes. Question, Why? Answer, In order that they may be damned. Very witty.

83)
Are you a slave? If so, you cannot be a friend. Are you a tyrant? If so, you cannot have friends.

In woman, a slave and a tyrant have all too long been concealed. For that reason, woman is not yet capable of friendship: she knows only love.

In a woman’s love is injustice and blindness towards all that she does not love. And in the enlightened love of a woman, too, there is still the unexpected attack and lightning and night, along with the light.

Woman is not yet capable of friendship: women are still cats and birds. Or, at best, cows.

[*]

84)
. . . . . . . . Thus it shall befall
Him who to worth in Women overtrusting
Lets her Will rule; restraint she will not brook,
And left to her self, if evil thence ensue,
She first his weak indulgence will accuse.

85)
America is the land of opportunities for women. Already they own about eighty-five percent of the wealth of the nation. Soon they will have it all. Divorce has become a lucrative process, simple to arrange and easy to forget; and ambitious females can repeat it as often as they please and parlay their winnings to astronomical figures. The husband’s death also brings satisfactory rewards and some ladies prefer to rely upon this method. They know that the waiting period will not be unduly protracted, for overwork and hypertension are bound to get the poor devil before long, and he will die at his desk with a bottle of benzedrines in one hand and a packet of tranquilizers in the other.

>> No.23056368

86)
No soul? Why, truly you’re not over-bright, as the saying goes. I’ve observed it with pain. But pooh! for a soul you can always find room. Come here! let me measure your brain-pan, child. — There is room, there is room, I was sure there was. It’s true you never will penetrate very deep; to a large soul you’ll scarcely attain — but never you mind; it won’t matter a bit; — you’ll have plenty to carry you through with credit —

The Prophet is gracious —

You hesitate? Speak!

But I’d rather —

Say on; don’t waste time about it!

I don’t care so much about having a soul; — give me rather —

What, child?

That lovely opal.

[*]

87)
You know, the more I see of women, the more I think that there ought to be a law. Something has got to be done about this sex, or the whole fabric of society will collapse, and then, what silly asses we shall all look.

88)
Women have often more of what is called ‘good sense’ than men. They have fewer pretensions; are less implicated in theories; and judge of objects more from their immediate and involuntary impression on the mind, and, therefore, more truly and naturally. They cannot reason wrong; for they do not reason at all. They do not think or speak by rule; and they have in general more eloquence and wit, as well as sense, on that account.

89)
Her mother's love for me is gone, I feel:
She's given up her white, her widow's bands —
Poor soul! She'll quickly wish that choice repealed.

So easily, through her, one understands
How soon the flames of womanly love will die,
If not sustained by touch of eye or hand.

[*]

90)
The ladies, in particular, were adepts at delicate phrases and charming subtleties of expression to describe the most improper things. A stranger would have understood none of their allusions, so guarded was the language they employed. But, seeing that the thin veneer of modesty with which every woman of the world is furnished goes but a very little way below the surface, they began rather to enjoy this unedifying episode, and at bottom were hugely delighted — feeling themselves in their element, furthering the schemes of lawless love with the gusto of a gourmand cook who prepares supper for another.

[*]

>> No.23056371

91)
She came over to him and put her hand on his shoulder, looking down at him with strange golden-lighted eyes, very tender, but with a curious devilish look lurking underneath.

“Say you love me, say ‘my love’ to me,” she pleaded.

92)
No man born of woman, unless he is drunk or demented, should reveal anything to a woman that should be kept hidden, if he doesn’t want to hear it from someone else. No matter how loyal or good-natured she is, it would be better to flee the country than tell a woman something that should be kept silent. He should never do any secret deed if he sees a woman come, for even if there is bodily danger, you may be sure that she will tell it, no matter how long she may wait. Even if no one asks her anything about it, she will certainly tell it without any unusual coaxing; for nothing would she keep silent. To her thinking she would be dead if the secret did not jump out of her mouth, even if she is in danger or reproached. And if the one who told her is such a person that, after she knows, dares strike her or beat her just once, not three or four times, then no sooner than he touches her will she reproach him with his secret, and she will do so right out in the open.

[*]

93)
The serpent had a good drink
And curled up into a question mark.
Adam drank and said: “Be my god.”
Eve drank and opened her legs

And called to the cockeyed serpent
And gave him a wild time.
God ran and told Adam
Who in drunken rage tried to hang himself in the orchard.

The serpent tried to explain, crying “Stop”
But drink was splitting his syllable.
And Eve started screeching: “Rape! Rape!”
And stamping on his head.

94)
There is no creature more sinful, O son, than women. Woman is a blazing fire. She is the illusion, O king, that the Daitya Maya created. She is the sharp edge of the razor. She is poison. She is a snake. She is fire. She is, verily, all these united together.

[*]

95)
Why don't I marry riches, Priscus? That's an easy life.
It's simple. I would rather be a husband than a wife.
The man should be the master and the woman should obey.
Equality's ridiculous, except like this. OK?

[*]

>> No.23056374

96)
He’d already turned to go. She stepped out and let the door shut behind her. You dont need to rush off thataway, she said.

He stopped on the lower step.

You got another one of these in that sack?

Yeah. I got two more. And I aim to drink both of em.

I just meant maybe you could set here and drink one of em with me.

He squinted at her. You ever notice how women have trouble takin no for a answer? I think it starts about age three.

What about men?

They get used to it. They better.

97)
Remember, my friend, that woman is an imperfect animal, and that impediments are not to be placed in her way to make her trip and fall, but that they should be removed, and her path left clear of all obstacles, so that without hindrance she may run her course freely to attain the desired perfection, which consists in being virtuous. Naturalists tell us that the ermine is a little animal which has a fur of purest white, and that when the hunters wish to take it, they make use of this artifice. Having ascertained the places which it frequents and passes, they stop the way to them with mud, and then rousing it, drive it towards the spot, and as soon as the ermine comes to the mud it halts, and allows itself to be taken captive rather than pass through the mire, and spoil and sully its whiteness, which it values more than life and liberty. The virtuous and chaste woman is an ermine, and whiter and purer than snow is the virtue of modesty; and he who wishes her not to lose it, but to keep and preserve it, must adopt a course different from that employed with the ermine; he must not put before her the mire of the gifts and attentions of persevering lovers, because perhaps — and even without a perhaps — she may not have sufficient virtue and natural strength in herself to pass through and tread under foot these impediments; they must be removed, and the brightness of virtue and the beauty of a fair fame must be put before her.

[*]

98)
Fidelity in woman’s like
The Phoenix of Arabia: it
Exists without a doubt, we're told —
But where to find it, none can say.

[*]

99)
‘Women are lawless, George,’ she had told him once, when they lay in rare peace. ‘So what am I?’ he had asked, and she said, ‘My law.’ ‘So what was Haydon?’ he had asked. And she laughed and said, ‘My anarchy.’

100)
It was honestly a struggle to get erect when I saw the color co-ordinated bookshelf in her bedroom.

>> No.23056457

15) Wuthering Heights
18) Three Men in a Boat
19) 1984
35) Oscar Wilde (couldn't tell you which work)
65) Arabian Nights?
79) Bobby Fischer?

>> No.23056551
File: 596 KB, 380x280, Konata Likes It!.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23056457

A good start; just one wrong guess.

>15) Wuthering Heights
Catherine and Isabella might make you think WH, true. But there's no Emily Bronte in the authors list.

>18) Three Men in a Boat
Correct.

>19) 1984
Correct.

>35) Oscar Wilde (couldn't tell you which work)
Importance of Being Earnest. But I agree it could be any of the others (except Salome, haha).

>65) Arabian Nights?
Correct; Richard Burton translation. Right near the beginning. Two kings discover their wives are unfaithful and think ‘we must be useless if we’re kings and we still can't control our wives.’ Then they encounter this woman cucking a terrifying giant djinn. They think ‘well, it happens to every male, no matter how powerful’. So they feel a bit better.

>79) Bobby Fischer?
Of course. (To be fair this was when he was only 18, in an interview with an unscrupulous journalist who egged him into saying outrageous things.)

>> No.23056563

1 is obviously a Scholastic, I'm going to guess Aquinas. 8 feels like a.Nietzsche aphorisms.

>> No.23056608
File: 87 KB, 400x400, Ichi-hime Says Yes!.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23056563

>1 is obviously a Scholastic, I'm going to guess Aquinas.
Correct. Summa Theologica. (Originally in Latin of course.) ‘The Philosopher’ is Aristotle. All those medieval guys loved Aristotle.

>8 feels like a Nietzsche aphorisms.
But if it were N. it would be marked [*] since he wrote in German.

>> No.23057753

>>23056285
>1
Summa Theologiae
>3
Schopenhauer?
>5
This isn't in The Anatomy of Melancholy, is it?
>7
Aristophanes, Assemblywomen
>16
Sex and Character
>19
>31
Life of Johnson
>35
The Importance of Being Earnest
>42
The Analects
>56
Something in Freud, I suspect.
>62
Hamlet
>74
Book of Proverbs
I appreciate these quizzes, OP.

>> No.23057888
File: 470 KB, 300x164, Quite Right!.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23057753

A good crop, more than enough for an animated girl.

>1
>Summa Theologiae
Correct, although someone already guessed Aquinas.

>3
>Schopenhauer?
Of course. ‘On Women’.

>5
>This isn't in The Anatomy of Melancholy, is it?
It sure is. If it's just a bunch of quotations stitched together it's gotta be Robert Burton.

>7
>Aristophanes, Assemblywomen
Right author, wrong play.

>16
>Sex and Character
The one and only Otto Weininger.

>19
>1984
Correct, although you're not the first.

>31
>Life of Johnson
Obviously, James Boswell.

>35
>The Importance of Being Earnest
Correct, although someone already got Wilde.

>42
>The Analects
Right. “Master” spells Confucius.

>56
>Something in Freud, I suspect.
Correct. It's the original paper talking about penis envy. (Called something like "Observations On Some Psychological Consequences Of The Physiological Difference Between The Sexes".)

>62
Hamlet
Correct.

>74
>Book of Proverbs
King Solomon being the author in the list, although I'm sure someone has written a paper saying that really his cleaning-woman wrote them.

>> No.23059231

Bumpity umpity
Over the humpity!

>> No.23059580

>>23056296
is 10 dante?

>> No.23059586

>>23056319
39 is kipling right?

thanks for the thread; seeing someone interested in a bunch of literature in an idiosyncratic way, its a good inspiration to go read.

>> No.23059675
File: 193 KB, 1280x720, Confused.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23059580
>is 10 dante?
Nope. Same country, but a different language. (How can that be?)

>> No.23059700
File: 85 KB, 400x510, Kay says Yes!.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23059586

>39 is kipling right?
Right. From a poem called "The Betrothed". The narrator has a fiancee called Maggie who doesn't like his cigar habit. "Either the cigars go, or I go", she says. He weighs the options up and decides that he can always get another fiancee:

Open the old cigar-box — let me consider anew —
Old friends, and who is Maggie that I should abandon you?

A million surplus Maggies are willing to bear the yoke;
And a woman is only a woman, but a good Cigar is a Smoke.

>> No.23061207
File: 116 KB, 294x271, Miyako Hmmm.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bump. A few random hints:

Female authors: #11, #15, #58

Short stories: #20, #24, #33, #43, #81 [novella], #85, #90

#63 & #64 are the same original language
#89 & #98 are the same original language

In #2, the ‘two females under one roof’ who are going to cause trouble are computers.

>> No.23062062

>>23056285
nice

>> No.23062420

>>23056291
1. Schopenhauer
4. Donne
7. Dickinson
9. Joyce
10. Cather
12. Shakespeare
13. Byron
15. Austen
16. Wittgenstein
17. Chaucer
19. Orwell
21. Bierce
22. Pope
23. Bukowski
27. Blake
28. Bacon
31. Michener
33. Wharton
35. Maugham
36. Porter
40. Scott
55. Wordsworth
56. Freud
58. Bronte
65. Burton/ Arabian Nights
66. O'Neill
74. The Bible
78. Celine
79. Tevis
80. 4chan Anon
93. Kipling

>> No.23063534

>>23062420

Wow, big haul here.

Several can't be right, because the authors aren't in the list at the beginning (and perhaps for other reasons):

>4. Donne
D. did sometimes sound like this, I admit.

>10. Cather
There's a name you don't hear very often. But she wrote in English. (Also, I've said this author is from the same country as Dante.)

>17. Chaucer
Canterbury Tales is in rhyming couplets, but not these rhyming couplets.

>27. Blake
Blake doesn't do ‘urbane witticism’. He's more ‘wide-eyed mystical pronouncements in a garb of childish simplicity’.

>28. Bacon
Roughly the right period.

>31. Michener
Who he? This one has already been found (Boswell's ‘Life of Johnson’).

>33. Wharton
The arch tone is a bit like EW, I agree.

>36. Porter
Not sure which Porter you mean, but it ain't any of them.

>40. Scott
It's translated.

>55. Wordsworth
It's translated.

>58. Bronte
Similar style I guess. Same period.

>66. O'Neill
It's a 20th-century stage play, yes. But O'Neill didn't write comedies. Not this sort of comedy anyway.

>79. Tevis
OK, looked him up. He wrote The Hustler & stuff. I would have said if there were any film screenplays in the quiz. This has already been ID'd (Bobby Fischer).

>80. 4chan Anon
Hahaha, similar vocabulary I guess. It's a famous classical poem. I did the translation, so in a way you're not wrong, but I can't give you the credit. Life is harsh like that sometimes. (Obviously it's a modern rendition, but I've actually stayed very close to the original. Things never change.)

>> No.23063538

>>23062420
>>23063534

Some can't be right for other reasons:

>1. Schopenhauer
Already found — Thomas Aquinas. (Also, Schoppy's been found — he's #3.)

>7. Dickinson
Already found — Aristophanes (although the play remains to be identified).

>16. Wittgenstein
Already found — Otto Weininger.

>22. Pope
It's marked [*], so translated.

>35. Maugham
Already found — Oscar Wilde.

>12. Shakespeare
Similar prose style (roughly the same period). But Shakespeare has already been found — #62. (No authors are repeated.)

>93. Kipling
Kipling has already been found — he's #39.

One could plausibly be right but isn't:

>13. Byron
Similar sarcastic tone, for sure.

>> No.23063557
File: 91 KB, 220x230, Kyoko Confirms!.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23062420
>>23063538

Some could be right and are right, although others already got there:

>19. Orwell
>56. Freud
>65. Burton/ Arabian Nights
>74. The Bible

And some could be right and are right and you're the first:

>9. Joyce
Ulysses. Bloom thinking about one thing and another, but mostly the one thing.

>15. Austen
Northanger Abbey. Catherine is so sweet.

>21. Bierce
Devil's Dictionary. No-one seems to know this these days which is a pity since there's lots of good sound common sense in there.

>23. Bukowski
Factotum.

>78. Celine
Journey to the End of the Night.

>> No.23063771

Women cannot be asexual. Women love sex and love to desire sex. It's why most books targeting women are about sex.

Men love sex but they do not love much, nor dislike much the desire for sex. In fact the desire for sex is more like an hindrance and a thing to eject, precisely by wanking and ejaculation that is the pinnacle of fucking a slag.
Men still despise not loving sex, since it removes the most effective mechanism of valuation that they have (a man feels valued by a woman once she picks him up out of the male competition, telling him he won and rewarding him with the right to fuck her), which leads them to the usual mockery of being shagless dildos remaining on the shelf of the sex market controlled by women, being baby dicks and being asexual.
Men despise asexuality in men, since it shows them that sex-havers are far less dominant than the story they plays in their heads about being stronger and better than vaginas.

Women despise asexuality in men, since the few asexual men (few are handsome) no longer acknowledge women for sex nor for companionship. Some asexual men claim to still want a gf just to cuddle, but that's already a baby-level sex and we are still in the situation of validation (and the gf still wants sex anyway sooner or later) and once they have sex with a girl that they love they see sex is not so bad.

Women despise asexuality in women, precisely because women live on sex while their hate of their body for menstruating leads them to take pills which kills their desire for sex (but indeed kills their menstruation). They hate their life since through their own body, they acknowledge in their intimacy that they cannot win on both accounts: either have a comfy life or have an erotic life. Women want the erotic life.

In fact sex is so crucial to a woman, that if a woman is NOT fucked senseless EVERY WEEK, her natural hysteria starts to poor out of her pores and the neurosis kicks in. Sex is literally a medicinal drug to a woman.

>> No.23063886

>>23056374
>100)
4chan anon

>> No.23063918
File: 71 KB, 290x416, Nagatoro Says Yes!.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23063886
Correct. A couple of years ago:

https://archived.moe/lit/thread/19950339

A great line which didn't get the recognition it deserved. Many such cases!

>> No.23065245

Bump.

>> No.23066096

Bedtime bump.

>> No.23066137

>>23056300
13 is Swift
19 Orwell
22 Orlando Furioso by Ariosto
35 is Dorian Gray--I think Lady Bracknell says the line? or is It harry...
44 is Byron, Don Juan Canto 1. Love teaching that in lit survey courses. Students find it much more fun than the "old poetry" we read
I'll check second half in a minute

>> No.23066148

>>23056340
58 Middlemarch
62 Shakespeare. Hamlet
84 Milton
93 Ted Hughes
89 feels like Dante but idk. Vita Nuova instead of the comedia maybe?

>> No.23067432

>>23066096
WAKE UP

>> No.23067436

>>23056296
>6)
>Are dames funny?
I haven't read it but
>dames
That's got to be Sam Spade. Good old classic noir.

>> No.23067440
File: 203 KB, 498x304, We Concur.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23066137
Another fine large-scale assault. We're going to run out of animated girls soon :(

>13 is Swift
Correct. ‘Journal of a Modern Lady’

>19 Orwell
Correct, although others already got it.

>22 Orlando Furioso by Ariosto
Correct. One of the trickier ones I thought. (It never gets mentioned here.)

>35 is Dorian Gray--I think Lady Bracknell says the line? or is It harry...
Lady Bracknell, sure, hence Importance of Being Earnest. Others already got Oscar Wilde.

>44 is Byron, Don Juan Canto 1. Love teaching that in lit survey courses. Students find it much more fun than the "old poetry" we read
Correct. It's a good couplet.

>> No.23067442
File: 51 KB, 220x122, That is correct.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23066148

>58 Middlemarch
Correct.

>62 Shakespeare. Hamlet
Correct, although you're not the first.

>84 Milton
Correct. Paradise Lost. Not a wildly pro-female work. Or author, haha.

>93 Ted Hughes
Correct. Crow. I keep on shilling it but /lit/ doesn't really seem to do poetry.

>89 feels like Dante but idk. Vita Nuova instead of the comedia maybe?
It's Purgatorio. Judge Nino bemoaning the fact that his widow married again (unwisely) soon after his death.

>> No.23067444

>>23056346
>61)
>One boy who was tall and had blonde hair called me a “loser”, right in front of his girlfriends. Yes, he had girls with him. Pretty girls. And they didn’t seem to mind that he was such an evil bastard. In fact, I bet they liked him for it. This is how girls are, and I was starting to realize it.
If this is Elliot Rodger I will have a sensible chuckle.

>> No.23067448

>>23067436

>6)
>got to be Sam Spade. Good old classic noir.
Classic noir — yes. Sam Spade, no. It's the same period as Hammett but a different country. An extremely popular author in his day. Not well-known now (although I think they were all reprinted fairly recently).

>> No.23067452
File: 111 KB, 498x278, Megumin Says Yes!.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23067444

>61)
>One boy who was tall and had blonde hair called me a “loser”, right in front of his girlfriends. . .
>If this is Elliot Rodger I will have a sensible chuckle.
Checked, and chuckle away.

>> No.23067455
File: 661 KB, 245x223, download.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23067452

>> No.23067689

>>23056285
This thread harbours more knowledge than the rest of the board summed up. Some of these anons are savants kek

>> No.23067805

>>23056374
96 reads like McCarthy.

>> No.23067943
File: 36 KB, 290x300, Hiyori Says Yes!.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23067805
>96 reads like McCarthy.
Reads like him and is him. It's No Country For Old Men.

I think many people will fail to recognize it, because it wasn't in the film. Basically, right near the end Moss picks up a young girl hitch-hiking. She's run away from home and is headed for California. He gives her some advice and some money and they stop at a motel to rest overnight. She tries to repay him the only way she can but he turns her down because of Carla Jean. They have philosophical McCarthy-esque conversations & we learn a lot more about Moss's view of things. (Basically he just wants to be back with CJ the way he was before he ever found the money, but he knows he never can be.) We're also shown how he gets tracked down — Bell speaks to him on the phone but the cartel have tapped the line. And when they kill Moss they kill the girl too. So both Bell and Moss bring destruction on someone they're trying to help.

The film really should have included this whole arc, in my opinion. It would only have aded about ten minutes to the running time and the dialogue is great and it gives Moss much better closure. Would have made the whole thing much more satisfying.

>> No.23069240
File: 107 KB, 368x600, Tsukasa Is Thinking.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bump. We're almost a third of the way through now. (31/100, if I count correctly.) Still a certain amount of low-hanging fruit to be picked, I think. (Especially in conjunction with the hints.)

>> No.23069791

consider me entertained

>> No.23069937

Incel thread

>> No.23070719

>>23063771
Brilliant

>> No.23070734

>>23063771
>In fact the desire for sex is more like an hindrance
True. If I could remove my sexual impulse, I would. It's an irritant more than anything

>> No.23070749

>>23067689
Yeah it is really cool to see.
>>23056285 (OP)
Thank you OP great thread.

>> No.23070756

>>23056291
3 is Schopenhauer and 4 could be nietzche

>> No.23070772
File: 59 KB, 655x527, PepeGlasses.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23056285
I find it funny that Honoré de Balzac is here, since Lily of the Valley, a romantic book that is very dear to me, depicted the main woman as righteous and intelligent. I suppose I would have to read more of his work to see if anything he wrote is more "based". Also am open to any recommendations of his work if anyone as one.

>> No.23071071

>>23056288
Corny.

>> No.23071249

>>23070756

>3 is Schopenhauer
It is. ‘On Women’. Others already got it though.

>and 4 could be nietzche
Nope. Apart from anything else, if it were N. it would be marked [*] for translation.

>> No.23071261 [DELETED] 

>>23070772
>I find it funny that Honoré de Balzac is here, since Lily of the Valley, a romantic book that is very dear to me, depicted the main woman as righteous and intelligent.
I've had to do some careful cherry-picking, for sure. Some of these quotations are just things said by characters, and not in line with the overall tone of the work, for example.

>> No.23071286

>>23070772
>I find it funny that Honoré de Balzac is here, since Lily of the Valley, a romantic book that is very dear to me, depicted the main woman as righteous and intelligent.
I've done a bit of cherry-picking, for sure. (Some of these quotations are just things said by characters and not in line with the overall tone of the work, for example.)

>> No.23072231

Bump.

>> No.23073424

Bump

>> No.23074758

bump

>> No.23075758

Momentum might have slackened off here a tad but let's give it another bump.

>> No.23076011

>>23056285
Amazing thread, but what's the purpose of making a quiz of this is literally any quote can just be put in google surrounded by " " and you'll get the answer of where it's from?