[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 254 KB, 1200x674, attila-gerenyi-cosmology-final-lowres.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
23003252 No.23003252 [Reply] [Original]

Cosmology Edition

Welcome to /wbg/, the official thread for the discussion and development of fictional worlds and settings.
Here is where you can share the details of your created worlds such as lore, factions, magic systems, ecosystems and more. You can also post maps for your settings, as well as any relevant art, either created by you or used as inspiration for your work. Please remember that dialogue is what keeps the thread alive, so don't be afraid of giving someone feedback!

FAQ:
>What is worldbuilding?
Worldbuilding is the process of creating entire fictional worlds from scratch, all while considering the logistics of these worlds to make them as believable as possible. Worldbuilding asks questions about the setting of a world, and then answers them, often in great detail. Most people use it as a means of creating a setting or the scenery for a story.
>"Isn't there a Worldbuilding general in >>>/tg/ already?"
Yes, there is. However, that general is focused on the creation of fictional worlds for the intended purpose of playing TTRPG campaigns. Here you can discuss worldbuilding projects that are not meant to be used for a roleplaying setting, but for novels, videogames, or any other kind of creative project.
>"Can I discuss the setting of my campaign here, though?"
If you want to, but it would probably be better to discuss it on >>>/tg/. We don't allow the discussion of TTRPG mechanics, however. If you want to discuss stats or which D&D edition is best, this is not the place.
>"Can I talk about an existing fictional setting that is not mine?"
Yes, of course you can!
>"Does worldbuilding need to be about fantasy and elves?"
Worldbuilding, as already stated above, and contrary to what many believe, does not inherently imply blatantly copying Tolkien. In fact, there are many science-fiction setting out there, and even entire alternative history settings which do not possess supernatural elements at all. Any kind of science fiction book has an implied setting at least, which involves a certain degree of worldbuilding put into it.

Last Thread: >>22954685

>> No.23003258
File: 435 KB, 640x913, 4eplanes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Let’s get things started!
Thread Questions:
>How is the cosmology of your setting structured, is the universe similar to ours with many stars and planets, or did you take a different approach (and if so, why that one)? What inspired you?
>Besides the mortal/“main” plane of existence, what others exist in your world, and how do they impact each other? Are they arranged in any particular way?
>Are the inhabitants of the various realms aware of each other at all? If so, how do they interact? Especially if the afterlife is one or more such realm.
>Finally, how do these planes affect magic or similar powers?

>> No.23003344
File: 650 KB, 1920x1405, 15kj54w7zis01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23003258
cool thread OP
is it a regular thing on /lit/?
>How is the cosmology of your setting structured, is the universe similar to ours with many stars and planets, or did you take a different approach (and if so, why that one)?
standard sci-fi cosmology but the whole setting is self-contained in an egg-shaped hollow asteroid/space colony/generation ship
>What inspired you?
sexual reproduction
there is sufficiently advanced alien female only equatorial arcology and lone men are sometimes ritually allowed inside after multiple trials
>Besides the mortal/“main” plane of existence, what others exist in your world, and how do they impact each other? Are they arranged in any particular way?
the men outside the city are mortal and kept in the stone age for the most part as breeding stock except for one who becomes king of the city when the need arises
>Are the inhabitants of the various realms aware of each other at all? If so, how do they interact? Especially if the afterlife is one or more such realm.
women from inside the city can observe the men outside and support them through fan clubs
men can interact with women in 'shrines' where they act as camgirls avatars of the great goddess and sacred prostitution takes place
for reproductive purpose
all of this is to keep a functioning closed system society with limited resources but specially engineered individuals selected on a purpose basis
not sure if this is interesting/makes sense but there it is

>> No.23003384

also the sun rises from a volcano in the middle of the red desert at the south pole, is right at the center of the equatorial city at noon, and gone towards deep space through an opening at the north pole in the frozen lands beyond the tropical sea as a mean of propulsion

>> No.23003398

and everything is color coded for your convenience from infrared to ultraviolet
the circular jungle part of the city in the middle being green with yellow cropland and an ancient wall at its south, and the coastal area just north of it known for its turquoise blue-green before the deep indigo ocean

>> No.23003414
File: 125 KB, 683x1025, 1640516714911.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23003384
>as a mean of propulsion
I got the idea from the Project Orion Nuclear Pulse Rocket and Aztec human sacrifice
to the sun god Huitzilopochtli in his constant war against darkness

>> No.23003420

To give your heart to Huitzilopochtli was a tremendous honor and a guaranteed ticket to a blessed afterlife fighting in the sun god’s army against the forces of darkness.

>> No.23003626
File: 100 KB, 1280x720, New Project.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is a rough draft for the world I want to write in my story.

>> No.23003793

>>23003344
It is when it's not dying.
Last thread was a disaster, but i'm not OP.

>> No.23004681

>>23003793
Yeah, not OP, but it’s great when things are going well. What about you?

>> No.23004930

>>23003793
it was the same on /tg/ lol
but somehow I crave these shitty autism threads

>> No.23004934
File: 226 KB, 500x500, 1705024606002388.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>On the other hand the act of procreation, being of a will and desire shared and indeed controlled by the fëa, was achieved at the speed of other conscious and willful acts of delight or of making. It was one of the acts of chief delight, in process and in memory, in an Elvish life, but its intensity alone provided its importance, not its time or length: it could not have been endured for a great length of time, without disastrous “expense”.

>But the act of procreation not being one of growth until the union of the seed and being under full control of the will does not take long -- though it is longer and of more intense delight in Elves than in Men: too intense to be long endured.

-The Nature of Middle Earth

What are the implications?

>> No.23004951
File: 889 KB, 945x945, 無妄.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23003626
lmao I also have a shitload of these undecipherable organigrams and schematics from a few years back
I put them all on my wall at one point and it was schizo as fuck
but also pretty comfy ngl

>> No.23005189

>>23003626
Yeah, poor mans Jonathan Hickman?

>> No.23005230

>>23004934
I'm sorry but I don't understand your question

>> No.23005702

>have to write about this important concept I haven't written anything about
>spend two hours autistically writing about insignificant aspects of the setting instead, like fantasy plants, just because I got inspired
Why am I like this?

>> No.23005888

>>23003258
>How is the cosmology of your setting structured
(Mostly) endless flat expanse populated by colossal trees that hold universes in their branches they use as food. The trees also serve as "reality anchors", the further you travel from one the more logic and reason start to fall apart around you until you're nothing but chaos-soup.
>Besides the mortal/“main” plane of existence, what others exist in your world
Besides the main plane there's The Fog (spirit world) and Chaos Space, the aforementioned region too far from a World Tree to have concrete reality. Chaos Space is surprisingly less dangerous than you would think, since there's several entities that use our reality as a giant fishing-lure for smaller, tastier entities, and will usually leave you be if you follow their rules.
Mixed bag with Chaos Space since, due to its nature, you can never really predict who or what you'll meet. The only concrete rule is "do not lie to the spider", which is easy to forget with how terrifying she is. The Fog is mostly unknown, due to the fact that dead souls can never leave under any circumstances, and living souls can only navigate the region with an artifact from a God of Death or Candy.
>What inspired you?
About a trillion different things, my brain compiles basically everything I find remotely interesting into a giant mental-cauldron, and occasionally I pull an idea out of it, and I've been doing this as long as I can remember. Except for the giant trees, those are at least 50% because I recently replayed Elden Ring.

>> No.23005972

>>23005888
>About a trillion different things, my brain compiles basically everything I find remotely interesting into a giant mental-cauldron, and occasionally I pull an idea out of it, and I've been doing this as long as I can remember.
same here
wtf is wrong with us?
why that weird compulsion to make up weird cosmologies, mythologies and random systems? escapism?

>> No.23007376

>>23003626
Okay, it’s a start. Can you please elaborate further on what you were planning?

>> No.23007704

>>23007376
(What I did not mention was the creator - THE ONE, who was born from a dark void, and created the cosmos, Earth and later Battleground City)
Each Higher Being represents a sector in the world: Wrath(Sochi), Love(Enzo), Luck(Yonkers), they are created by THE ONE who gives them a task to make sure there is a balance between each sector.

The Forever Family/Household are to be in the front center of this world. The Patriarch and Matriarch are class 3 psychics - which is the highest level in this world, except for their young son Benny, who is beyond class 3. They live in Sochi, where they value power and science more than any sector because the Senate invests on these assets to advance their resources, infrastructure, and producing the most powerful psychics. The Senate takes interest in the Forever Family - particularly their child, after they have witnessed Benny's ability in the open. Benny's power grabs the attention from not only Wrath and the Higher Beings, but two governmental sub-parties (Psychic Research Organization(PRO), Anti-Psychic Group(APG), who secretly want Benny for their purposes.

(Sorry if this sounds beyond retarded. I'm still working out the kinks)

>> No.23008129
File: 325 KB, 974x562, 3tuw4y.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Friend keeps pestering me to watch new anime even though I keep telling him modern anime is trash, finally cave and watch one of the clips he sends me
>One of my favorite worldbuilding ideas I made when I was a fucking kid in literal 4k
Reminder to publish your shit before some Jap commie steals the idea from your brain and uses it himself.

>> No.23009193

midnight bump

>> No.23009293

>>23003384
Where does the new Sun come from each day then?

>> No.23009446

>>23008129
I had the same thing happening to me except it was an obscure sci-fi book from the 80's

>> No.23009447

>>23003252
Would it be possible to have two alien species that exist in a sort of social symbiosis with eachother? Say two species (for example humans and some sort of humanoid alien) come in contact with eachother and come to cohabitate together in some way. And the two, while being biologically incompatible exist in a partnership.
I'm going to float this idea to you guys, if any Sci-fi people want to express their opinions, I'll appreciate it.

>> No.23009467
File: 2.51 MB, 1900x1267, 1706571256385216[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Been asking this in a couple different threads, but
>Wizard teaches new pupil
>Pupil unknowingly draws upon his anger and darker emotions for his magic, creating never before seen effects
>Magic is logical and cannot draw upon emotions normally
>Wizard tells pupil he is a rare and one of a kind student that the wizard is extremely honored to teach due to his special magic
>Wizard however realizes the danger of this sort of source of power, and decides to teach the pupil in a way to try and limit him so he does not lose control
>He writes a book on this to his fellow teachers, noting the power his pupil uses is dangerous
>Pupil discovers the book after a time and feels betrayed by his master, teacher, and father figure
I'm wondering in what ways a teacher would teach someone who draws upon darker emotions to limit them. I wanted the wizard's methodology to be understandable to outsiders, but for the pupil to see it as a betrayal.

>> No.23009471

>>23009293
from the volcano

>> No.23009490
File: 324 KB, 800x1059, supanova_4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23009471
to elaborate:
the volcano is just the visible part of an underground complex of factories, energy storage (you can orient the south pole toward the sun to harness its energy) and a huge power plant that can double as a Death Star like energy weapon if needed
it takes inspiration from the root chakra:
>The Root Chakra is associated with our feelings of safety and security, both physical and metaphorical. This includes your basic needs such as food, water, and shelter, as well as your emotional needs. Your Root Chakra is what causes your survival instincts, also known as the fight or flight responses.

>> No.23009492

>>23003252
>>23003252
>cosmology
Can someone please make this clear for me?

House > Town/City> Island > Continent > Planet > Solar System > Galaxy > Universe > Timeline(?) > Dimensions(?) >Multiverse > Megaverse > Hyperverse > Omniverse > Outerverse

I get confused after universe. Is a timeline containing dimensions or is it vice versa? If something is 4D and something is 5D does that mean the 4D's omniverse fits inside 5D since it's higher dimensionality? Or is omniverse beyond all dimensions? I need a proper list.

>> No.23009495

>>23009447
I think that's the idea behind Parasite Eve

>> No.23009506

>>23009467
magic is a metaphor for gay sex
teacher is a pedo
also, you are gay
thank me later
>(Verification not required.)

>> No.23009516

If you don't incorporate your severe trauma and the darkest aspects of your life into your world building is it even real?

>> No.23009518

>>23009492
marble > toy car > ziplock bag > salad bowl > shoe box > suit case > car trunk > garage > your list > 4chan > schizophrenia > a bag of dicks

>> No.23009540

>>23009516
no
don't be a coward

>> No.23009546

>>23009540
Fully explain why to me all art is built off trauma

>> No.23009561

>>23009546
no one would care about art if it wasn't built off trauma
that's just how it is

>> No.23009653

>>23004934
You mean besides the fact it implies elves are quick-shots and are one-pump chumps?
Granted, they sound like they get the kind of extended "Climaxes" that are normally only found in domestic animals like pigs.

>> No.23009667
File: 214 KB, 800x1200, Feitian_space_suit_at_NMC_02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How often should i consider what teenage me would have thought is cool as fuck? I like to keep it real but sometimes it's just like, society is just cool sometimes for no particular obvious reason.

>> No.23010093

>>23009561
Surely there’s good art NOT based on trauma. Like landscapes.

>> No.23010412

>>23009546
>>23009561
>>23010093
NTA but not all art is based off trauma.
But the best art is.

>> No.23010423

>>23009667
I usually go for what I think it's cool as fuck.

>> No.23010426

I'm adding slavery, but it's not so bad. Just like in my animes.

>> No.23010588

>>23009516
no. It's a disneyland that fails to tell everyone how you think things ought to be.

>> No.23011052

>>23010426
People love slavery and racism in fantasy fiction, even non racist people. Just look at The Elder Scrolls.
My theory is that people love fictional racism so much because it's an excuse to free their inner unga binga racist instinct.

>> No.23011084

>>23009667
Pretty much everything in my current story is an extrapolation of daydreams I had as a kid.

>> No.23011597

>the overwhelming majority of magic is completely frivolous and amounts largely to a neat parlor trick,and is at best situationally useful
>a small amount of magic is actually useful, but generally less useful than mundane alternatives available

Thoughts?

>> No.23011671

>>23011597
Why would anyone study magic?

>> No.23011675

>>23011671
Wouldn't you?

>> No.23011699
File: 34 KB, 260x381, Hothouse(Aldiss).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

About 60% through this as of last night. Really interesting world, as long as you can get over the physics plot hole of the Earth and Moon no longer rotating and being tied together with webs woven by giant mile-long plantspiders that travel between.

>> No.23011834

>Magic in my setting can be awakened by anyone, with magical ability ranging from "mildly useful" to "so powerful you begin to rapidly lose your humanity, like a snake shedding old skin, until what's left is something not even your closest friends will recognize as having once been you"
Am I correct in assuming this would rapidly turn into a "wizardocracy" where powerful wizards are above the law, since any kind of inconvenience and they'll fuck off to a rival nation?

>> No.23012222

>>23011699
That sounds interesting, what kind of story is it?
And please tell me more about the setting, i'm always looking for interesting fantasy setting, most people just copy Tolkien and call it a day.

>> No.23013258
File: 91 KB, 900x537, EsH5nFrW4AI3x67.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23003252
For my cosmology I'm thinking that there would be four realms outside the mortal plane, one for each of the four elements of Fire, Water, Earth, and Air, the mortal realm having formed when the primordial rulers of these realms waged war against each other at the dawn of time and caused all of them to collide and merge parts of their beings to combine into a new reality, with its own beings and energies unique to it. I'm just looking to find a way to make these elemental realms stand out a bit from their typical D&D equivalents, any ideas?

My best so far is that since the essence that formed the mortal plane came from the elemental realms, when a being with a soul dies said soul is drawn to the plane of the element that they are most aligned with, to await paradise or torment based on their deeds until they eventually reincarnate (this is because the rulers of the elemental planes are trying to keep the souls there through simulated experiences, by pleasure for good souls or through imprisonment for evil ones, and try and reclaim the power they lost when the mortal realm was created, but cannot see that it's a futile endeavor), I'm just having trouble coming up with ideas for how each elemental realm might approach paradise and torment, besides the obvious suggestion for Fire, or perhaps Earth having evil souls feel like they're petrified, what say you?

And what themes/associations would you give each element/elemental realm and the beings within, like Fire being purification, consumption, and transformation (and maybe something more), and Air being tied to freedom? I ask because I was thinking that elemental mages might draw power for their bigger spells from the respective elemental realms, and I want ideas for said spells besides just shooting blasts of each element, like Avatar but with less kung-fu.

>> No.23013399

>>23009495
what the hell is that?
Can you give me a QRD?

>> No.23013734

>>23011834
That would rapidly develop into a barren wasteland, when powerful wizards would duke it out for dominance, ruining countries' livelihood and the ecosystem and driving wildlife extinct. This is why I think keeping magic modestly scaled is the best idea.

>> No.23013897
File: 46 KB, 1280x720, potter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm working on a story where mages conjure magic by mentally linking to forces of nature. So the spells are tied directly to elements, water magic produces and controls water, etc. There can be no abstract spells like "cook dinner for me," or "open any kind of lock". But what element would healing magic then be? It's kind of necessary the characters can heal themselves without bandage, but how do you explain it mechanically? I'm reluctant to add any fictional bullshit elements just for the purpose.

>> No.23014147
File: 252 KB, 2878x1439, mars map2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What would an indian mars colony be called?

>> No.23014158

>>23014147
REDEEMED

>> No.23014175

>>23014147
Hastinapur, because why not.

>> No.23014180

>>23014147
Speaking of which, I have to get back to that India dominates the world and then civilization collapses scenario.

>> No.23014189
File: 208 KB, 1000x1000, TROGLAV GRB.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23014175
Why particularly? So Hastinapur Pradesh?
What symbolism would an indian mars colony even envoke, i have too many states just outright envoking nationalist sentiments about descent and shit.
I was thinking ganges pradesh cause the part is called ganges but idk that's small and insignificant as hell and i want a weird pagan mars society, alongside the weird protestant, orthodox and state atheist societies.

>> No.23014191

>>23014189
ok hastinapur makes sense, both would be cities on the Ganges.

>> No.23014195

>>23014189
Hastinapur not as the province, but as the city that plays abig part in the Mahabharata. Maybe you could call it something like kuru for the kingdom the Mahabharata war is fought over.

>> No.23014207

>>23014195
The indian state is mostly just one large city with a few satilites, american states are named after cities, mexico is named after a city but that's more like a misnomer. Maybe this doesn't make sense in an indian context, idk.

>> No.23014218

>>23014207
>>23014195
Kuru pradesh?

>> No.23014272

>>23014207
>mexico is named after a city but that's more like a misnomer.
No it's not. The more accurate but also more pedantic translation of Ciudad de Mexico is "City of Mexico" not "Mexico city". It's the city that is named after the country.
>>23014218
Sounds decent.

>> No.23014280

>>23014272
CDMX in my language is translated as "the city of mexico" too, but it's "Grad Meksiko" ie City Mexico.
Mexico is named aftet the Mexica, who ruled Tenochtitlan, the spanish called Tenochtitlan Mexico.

>> No.23014588

>>23014147
What about a Japanese one?

>> No.23015243

>>23013897
Many plants have healing properties.

>> No.23015271

>>23013734
Combination of absurd distances (if two kingdoms are a few thousand miles apart they're considered basically neighbors) and having wildlife be the natural conclusion of "how fucked up can I make this and have it still be somewhat believable" means my wizards SHOULD be happy just being glorified cops/nuclear-deterrents. Although, of the 4 different extinct civilizations my party comes across 3 are the results of "wizard shenanigans", so it doesn't always work out.

>> No.23015393

>>23007704
Why would two opposing forces be under the government? It would make sense to make them their own separate entities.

>> No.23015925

bump

>> No.23016194
File: 765 KB, 1280x694, Light realm by VampirePrincess007.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23003252
The two dominant forces in my world are Light (which has some dominance over Creation and Chaos) and Darkness (which has some power over Destruction and Order). As a result, my cosmology has one plane where each is totally dominant, the other planes sandwiched between them. Besides the obvious, like the Light plane being bright as Hell, and the Darkness plane being, well, dark, I’ve got some serious writer’s block on what to do for these two planes though, what would you suggest?

>> No.23017270

>>23016194
just shut up faggot you say this every thread, nobody cares

>> No.23017382
File: 120 KB, 800x365, DrAxeWhiteWillowBark_Header.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23015243
Do you know of any in particular? For instance, I know that willow bark is useful for reducing pain.

>> No.23017592
File: 299 KB, 1600x900, forest-fire.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23015243
I solved the issue by having magicians tap into more general phenomena, including "healing" and "flora", instead of being restricted to only base elements. It's not a mechanic I want to waste a lot of pages on defining.

>> No.23017896

would you guy wanna rate my general setting abd story: https://controlc.com/a8cd1f12 please?

>> No.23018326

>>23017382
NTA, but cool. What are some other plant remedies?

>> No.23019587

>>23003420
So basically like the Norse Valhalla?

>> No.23020622

bump

>> No.23020826
File: 128 KB, 921x561, Space_Suit_257652main_as11-40-5903_full_crop.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23009667
What does a space suit have to do with that though?

>> No.23020840

>>23011084
Curious as to how you find the completed outcomes to be.

>> No.23021949

>>23020826
NTA, but space travel is cool. We should colonize the stars already.

>> No.23022033

>>23020826
I think astronauts, like, the real thing, are cool as fuck and always will.

On that note i just learned of the space lychen experiment and apparently they were able to reproduce in mars conditions so uh i have a really stupid idea cause what if they don't disinfect their landers? What if Mars gets a layer of lychen at the low elevation point that are breathing back air?

>> No.23022238

Whats a fitting power to give someone with OCD? The general idea is that psychics in my universe have the usual telepathy and minor telekinesis. But usually every psychic has a power unique to them. Usually it can represent their past, passions/hobbies, desires or current issues. One of my main characters has OCD but im kind of stumped on a fitting power. Another aspect of him is that he wants to be desired and loved. I was gonna get him the ability to have stuff be drawn to him. What looks random objects being flung at him could be used to his benefit offensively and defensively. I.e having a person flung at him and a car at the same time and then deactivating his powers.

>> No.23023759

bumping

>> No.23023860

>>23022238
Try asking at >>>/a/

>> No.23023952

>>23011671
Aesthetics

>> No.23025574
File: 148 KB, 1000x1300, wowtbc-human-mage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23023952
NTA, but what do you mean?

>> No.23026495

>>23025574
That learning magic looks cool? I don’t know.

>> No.23027737
File: 123 KB, 870x1026, g7542.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Designed some weapons, most of them of wood. I kinda like the idea of wooden clubs being more than just a stick but instead carefully shaped striking implements with points and edges to maximize impact force and also the fact that you can actually influence wood while growing to make some of the shaping work ahead of harvest
Also, I read that some forms of ebony are dense enough to sink in water.

>> No.23027751

>>23015393
Think of it as having democrats and republicans having seats in the House.

>> No.23029421

>>23027737
That's very cool, anon.
I want to design a setting without iron just to avoid the trope of having knights and swords and shit, but it's actually quite difficult to me.

>> No.23029648 [DELETED] 

>Know that I want my story to finish in space, spend months designing an intricate cosmology system
>Due to unrelated reasons, have to start my story over almost completely from scratch
>New adventure doesn't go anywhere near space
>I spent months making all this cool cosmology shit I'm never going to use
Any subtle ways I can get my fantasy party into a spacecraft? Or should I just have them stop at a museum and have a long "worldbuilding exposition" chapter?

>> No.23030796

>>23027751
Well, not him, but political parties weren’t really considered when designing things.

>> No.23031165

>>23027737
The others I can understand but what the hell is that thing in the middle?

>> No.23031362
File: 352 KB, 1064x1600, DSC_0012.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23029421
look at the properties of wood and its growth, then look at how people have manipulated or cultivated plant growth for millennia. You'll surely find a way that the importance of wood and stone as prime tool materials would impact society.
Hell, why not try going for bone too? Some bones have useful shapes already like horns and jaws. Is there magic or alchemy in your world? Maybe they can meld and fuse bones. Look at how creative the MonsterHunter games got with bones and horns.
>>23031165
Imagine a simple branch fork where you take the bigger branch as the club end and then do what you can with it.
The forward facing point would be useful for concentrating force, the forward facing edge is angled for a sort of cutting motion and when you turn it around, you can use it to catch limbs or sweep people's feet.
I looked at some IRL wooden weaponry and found that they often utilize the way wood grow and then build from there. i imagined that one to be made by someone with low skill or time or imagination.

>> No.23032357
File: 22 KB, 612x612, 62dfed9c4df6bbcbd5e4cb6cc35cbdb6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23017896
Um, I tried the link, but it's broken, was it a typo or something?

>> No.23032637

>>23031362
>Is there magic or alchemy in your world?
Absolutely. And in fact the main material I came up as a replacement of metals are magic crystals and overall spells.
Resins and stone, too. But yeah, bone is a good one because it evokes feelings of primitivism and agression. I'll look into MH armor designs, thank you!

>> No.23032639

In a typical Fantasy Christianity with a Goddess instead of a God, how much differently should the nuns and priests dress to account for that? I can pretzel ways to justify them continuing to dress the same way; I'm interested in hearing about alternative takes.

>> No.23032848

>>23032639
It's your fucking world why are you asking what would make sense?

>> No.23033620

>>23032639
There's nothing about catholic priest's uniforms that indicates whether they believe in a god or godess, so I don't think it would be relevant.
On the other hand, pope means "father", maybe instead of male head of church you should feature some kind of high priestess.

>> No.23033633

>>23032639
Has there ever even been a monotheistic goddess?

>> No.23033647
File: 1.38 MB, 1000x802, MtG Art-Time Elemental.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23003252
What aesthetics would make sense for a realm where Time is the dominant force, and one where Space is the dominant force, respectively? Clocks and sand seem a bit too obvious for the former, especially if mortals haven’t invented the former yet, and I can’t think of anything for a Space realm besides a literal solar system.

>> No.23034507

>>23033647
What do you mean by realm? Separate planes of existence like in Forgotten Realms?

>> No.23034540

>>23032639
>Christianity with a Goddess
so paganism? everyone would be nude

>> No.23034577

>>23033633
Who cares?
>>23034540
That's not what he means, retard.
In his setting there's probably no christianity and therefore no conception of paganism.

>> No.23034582

>>23034577
I care.

>> No.23034585

These threads have the lowest average IQ on the board and that's saying something.

>Should my MC be able to cast two fireballs per hour or only one?

You should drown yourself in a toilet.

>> No.23034634

>>23034577
Sorry anon but there's no way a people/culture would conceive the notion of a sole Godhead as specifically female. You're gonna have to make them part of a wider pantheon, i.e. paganism.

>> No.23034666

>>23034634
>Sorry anon but there's no way a people/culture would conceive the notion of a sole Godhead as specifically female
Why not? I think that, clearly, worldbuilding just isn't for you.

>> No.23034679

>>23034666
>666
Nice try, Satan. I have exposed your pagan ways. You have no power here.

>> No.23034747
File: 228 KB, 1024x1024, OIG (5).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I made Terminator but with swords

https://alexbeyman.substack.com/p/secrets-of-the-blue-light-wip

>> No.23035007

>>23033620
Do you know why nuns wear habits?

>> No.23035201

>>23035007
No. Elaborate

>> No.23036296
File: 191 KB, 1300x650, 200566082-concept-of-time-and-space-surreal-fantasy-artwork-generative-ai.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23034507
Basically yes.

>> No.23037436

>>23035201
Seconding this please.

>> No.23038379

>>23036296
>>23033647
I guess think about visual representations of time in the natural world? Life and death, day and night, seasons changing, rivers becoming grand canyons. Maybe these things happen simultaneously.
Or Ouroboros? I don't know how weird you wanna get with it but you could read up on the different theories of time - as opposed to the simpler "time is a line and the present is a moment moving along it."
Or maybe the Realm of Time is just a room, with a scruffy alcoholic man sitting at a table, crushing beer cans into flat circles.

>> No.23038626
File: 368 KB, 1000x1000, 1000_F_560859627_peTMEAIQCw2UsJeuj8lRLVUsRm1jTDnm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23038379
These are good ideas, thanks. What about beings in said realm besides that guy?

Oh, and what about a Space realm, got any ideas there please?

>> No.23039077
File: 276 KB, 1280x1670, black_nun_by_thekobs_dg14oeu-fullview.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23035007
I thought that it was just for modesty, is there another reason?

>> No.23039086

>>23035007
>>23035201
>>23037436
>>23039077
same reason muslim women wear them

>> No.23039105

>>23035201
>>23037436
>>23039077
It's for God.

>> No.23039113

>>23038626
>What about beings in said realm besides that guy?
2 black cops.

>> No.23039192

>>23038626
>Space realm
is that not just our realm?

>> No.23039464

>>23039086
Because a woman's hair and overall purity should be reserved from anyone that's not her husband?
Ok then, but how is that relevant to the original discussion? Why did you bring it up? Would that change if Abrahamic religions had a goddess instead of a god?

>> No.23039469

>>23039192
He just retarded, ignore him.
I bet he's the same guy who is copying avatar.

>> No.23039620

>>23039464
>but how is that relevant to the original discussion? Why did you bring it up?
learn to follow a replies. the op was asking about the role of clothing christianity and if it would change with his changes.
fuck you retard.

>> No.23039824

>>23032639
nuns and priests woukd be flipped, no?
but God is ambiguous, he's not strictly "a man in the sky", what do you mean by godess, like god is this feminine power, or god is this big tiddy greek godess statue looking woman in the sky?
Nuns would probably be the ones to pray to theia

>> No.23039973
File: 88 KB, 800x533, un flag 4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

what factors would lead the UN to attempt to conquer a distant space colony? It is the only one with a naturally occuring terrestric biosphere. Would that be enough, the safety in knowing you own it? or should there be some rare resource present? My idea was maybe FTL is possible through using star matter cause some weird physics shit with giant stars but idk. I want a giant star so i can have a short (normal year) count and the actual year count which lasts centuries. Like the aztec calendar. I've also elected to tone-down the LARPing beyond aesthetics and mostly just use it as "hey they figured this out, we could maybe do something similar"
I am not toning down the religous zealotry, it's not on the whole planet, rather a single faction conquering its local region, which happens to be the most populated and oldest.

>> No.23040012

Tips on world building biology? How far is too far, when is it justified to just use Earth animals?

>> No.23040121
File: 2.60 MB, 1920x1080, wallhaven-4devpm.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23039192
Yeah, avoiding that is exactly why I'm asking.

>> No.23040156

>>23039973
The UN isn't a country. They don't conquer anybody

>> No.23040768

>>23039620
>the op was asking about the role of clothing christianity and if it would change with his changes.
Which you didn't answer at all, retard.
Asking a question that's not relevant does not provide any insight unless you elaborate, which you did not.

>> No.23041957

>>23013399
Seconding this please.

>> No.23042285
File: 414 KB, 480x238, (You).gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23040768
>Asking a question that's not relevant
oh you're legitimately retarded. carry one then

>> No.23042386

>>23042285
You did not explian how it was relevant.
In fact you did not elaborate at all.

>> No.23042713
File: 137 KB, 1200x800, terminator-comic.0.1537146051.0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23034747
Nice. Besides Terminator, what inspired this?

>> No.23043762

>>23040156
In my world the UN's internal policy is to just leave it to the states and they just share a universal external policy when it comes to other planets, in this world the solar system is split between many sovereign states on many planets and moons and planetesimals and some are united to form planetary unions, like earth and mars, for the benefit of the whole planet, or like the asteroid belt for the sake of them being small and well third world ish. Mostly spics and chinese there. I believe the whole earth would gladly agree to conquer another world if it meant benefit. I also envision it being conquered like, well, mexico, with the commander of the first mission not losing out on a good opportunity to crush the natives.
On that topic, how developed would the weaponry of a society be if they had to start from scratch, like they can't just make m16's n shit and factories take time to make and work and sometimes need specialized equipment they might not have enough of. I was thinking their tech is way back cause no microchips n shit. They also find remnants of some old alien society in the form of amicable natural already domesticated animals with weird traits like, say, a bison with arms that carries large stones.

>> No.23043764
File: 25 KB, 1433x423, 461382-0-medium.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23043762
forgot pic.
Was thinking something like the afghan gun culture that developed in isolation. Maybe colonists on the more rural areas just do not have access to any scifi tech?

>> No.23045090

>>23010412
Got some examples of trauma-based art please?

>> No.23046635
File: 23 KB, 622x350, bone_gun_by_gregorytrusov_dcety59-350t.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23043764
If you can come up with good reasons why, that's fine.

>> No.23047664

>>23046635
You can do it by hand.
I was also thinking industrial scale water mills for some shit cause i mean the hardest part in anything is actually just the engineering method, but they have that figured out already. I would assume it would be a bit higher in quality and measurement, by default, but would still be comparatively "primitive" to the scifi world around them.

>> No.23047670
File: 54 KB, 652x1000, 61g0WHpt+XL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23045090

>> No.23048533
File: 1.33 MB, 2481x1754, western_map.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Making maps again. Thoughts?

It's a royal pain to make the world actually feel populated with diverse cultures. When you think about Middle-Earth, despite how many decades Tolkien worked on it, it still feels kind of small and lonely. There's Gondor, Rohan, Mordor, and...and...well, hobbits?

Probably not even half of these locations will actually be mentioned in the story itself, but I still find it necessary to know them. Like, if a character meets another from a foreign country, it doesn't feel genuine to have them just say "hi" and carry on. Their first impression, attitude, and general behavior will obviously be influenced by what they know about the history and culture of said country. And people should be interested to know what's happening out there in the world instead of living in their own isolated bubble. I think mentioning such things in conversation from time to time gives a story that subtle but important sense of realism.

Just looking at a map, I can get a rough idea what those places are like and what happened to make them like that, without having to make separate notes for each of them. That'd be even more of a pain.

>> No.23048649

The Sandersonite CRETINS have come out of the woodwork to defend their indulgent drivel. I don't care about the CRABS or the PLANTS or your DUMB MAP when your characters have no spark of humanity and only exist so they can FLY AROUND AND FIGHT. Authors worthy of the name can draw real human tragedy from just 20 pages of two people talking in a room; the modern fantasy "author" can't provide a glimpse of humanity from 1000 PAGES of the most APOCALYPTIC CLASH of GOOD AND EVIL. I recently attempted to get through book one of Sanderson's "epic" Stormlight saga, and was FLOORED when he had to represent how characters feel by MAGICAL EMOTION FAIRIES because he was UNABLE to convey it through BELIEVABLE DIALOGUE. THIS IS THE MAN WHO HAS THE MOST POPULAR LECTURE ON WRITING ON YOUTUBE. It is no wonder that today's young fantasy writers think CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT is synonymous with "LEVELING UP". World-building represents the D&Dification of the Fantasy genre. The focus foremost on setting rather than character, prose, plot, or theme, can only be explained by the influx of AUTISTIC sons of 35 year old mothers who cannot understand or conceptualize human emotions or relations, and can't write for shit. BRANDON SANDERSON has destroyed an entire generation of writers, along with VIDEO GAMES, ANIME and AUTISM. It should be no surprise that the current trend in the genre are so-called "LitRPGs"--a derivative of ISEKAI, D&D, and VIDEO GAMES, because these stunted shut-ins have no exposure to the world beyond the mediated glow of their computer screens and the musky back rooms of tabletop gaming centers. MAGIC SYSTEMS are the product of STEM AUTISM and are completely irrelevant to anything that makes a story worth reading. The entire genre has become one big MALADAPTIVE DAYDREAM. The only solace is that fantasy is falling into such disrepute that it can safely be consigned to the same bin as YA fiction and romance slop.

>> No.23048863

>Have a unique idea for a city I want to share with people because it's so cool
>I'm 100% certain it's too good and someone will steal it if I ever say it out loud
I need to just start writing this book already.

>> No.23049920

>>23048863
Any advice for city design then please?

>> No.23050765
File: 188 KB, 1216x832, v2-14sla-stbnq.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23049920
Seconding this please.

>> No.23051096

Am I copping out if I make my story take place in the (somewhat) far future of the real world so that the characters can make cultural references without breaking the fourth wall
Like in fantasy I find it difficult to take a lot of the in universe exclamations authors think of seriously. I just want a dude to be able to say "Christ!" when he is shocked by something

>> No.23051155

>>23048533
Interesting names. What are they based on? And are those dotted lines roads or borders?

>> No.23051163

>>23051096
Not sure what's the problem. If it takes place in a world where Christianity exists (or existed) there's nothing wrong with characters exclaiming "Christ!"
Are you saying you want characters able to refer to our-world things while taking place in a world with totally history?

>> No.23051168

>>23051163
totally *different* history

>> No.23051267
File: 261 KB, 1600x1035, middle_earth2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23051155
Most of the names are derived from present and historical real world locations. The countries of this region were mostly inspired by European cultures (especially France/England) and the naming sense tells what's from where.

The dotted lines represent major highways. I wanted to include borders too, but with the geography it turned the map into an ugly, cluttered mess. I guess that's why they were also omitted in the maps I used for reference, including this. I'll have to make another version that only has the territories.

>> No.23052006
File: 15 KB, 250x245, Pizza tower everyone so mean.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What's the point of worldbuilding.

>> No.23052455
File: 119 KB, 1280x720, pepperlaugh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23052006
If you, the author, have a strong understanding of the world in which your particular work of fiction takes place, it becomes easier to impart that information onto the reader/watcher/player in a way that is entertaining, compelling, and consistent, strengthening your setting and story as a whole.
Hope this helps, pepperposter

>> No.23052472

>>23051163
>>23051168
I mean like a story that takes place in our world but in the future. I've always liked stories where you can find bits and pieces of history that have been changed in the cultural setting or re/misinterpreted, and personally find it kinda easier to work around than writing an entire fictional history. Which I know some people are into

>> No.23052845

>>23052472
anon i am also doing something like that except i am going full into the whole thing you know? jesus in space

>> No.23053442

>>23052845
>jesus in space
and this time, he's not crucifuckin around

>> No.23054622
File: 202 KB, 826x1390, yggdrasil-the-great-ash-tree-symbolizing-the-universe-an-is-an-immense-tree-that-is-central-in-norse-cosmology-in-connection-to-which-the-nine-worlds-exist-the-ash-exudes-a-sugary-substance-that-it-has-been-suggest.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23003252
Why did the Norse believe that the cosmos was shaped like a tree, and what other options work for a pseudo-Norse setting if we want to avoid directly copying Yggdrasil?

>> No.23054662

>>23054622
trees connect to the middle world to the heavens (tall) and earth (roots).
and why wouldnt you want to use yggdrasil or something similar in a norse-based world?

>> No.23054666

>>23054662
>earth
shouldve said *underworld*. my bad

>> No.23054682

>>23054662
But mountains are taller, and have deeper "roots" (caves).

>> No.23054735

i have noticed that when liberal worldbuild they hyperfocus on aesthetics but nothing is really that deep or cool or smart or creative, and when more conservatively mindeds worldbuild it's autistically detailed but the aesthetic is all over the place.
Maybe i'm tweaking, but it really feels like two categories.
the stupid slop cyberpunk near-scifi shit with brutalism and "diverse" culture, everything is perfect and clean
and then you have starship troopers.
idk why but i'm feeling so disuaded and motivated to write at the same time, on one hand, look at the slop, i could do better, and on the other hand, do i even think the masses are worthy of me?

>> No.23054762

>>23054735
>i have noticed that
post examples of your observations. you might just have /pol/brainrot (you everything as political)

>> No.23054772

>>23003344
>weres sci-fi armor
>still live in mudhuts

>> No.23054818
File: 86 KB, 600x600, Interactive-Sky-Chart-600px.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23054622
fairly common worldview in the ancient world; symbolizing the universe as a tree. as other anon said, their branches reach the heavens and their roots down into the hells.
>>23054682
mountains are also common cosmological symbols in many ancient religions, for the same reasons. mosques are designed to resemble cave interiors. its not about which one is bigger; eggs are also frequently used as cosmic symbols. the world is an endlessly repeating series of microcosms and macrocosms, and the world tree is an early attempt at displaying this concept

>> No.23054943

>>23054762
NTA but he's right.
Look at any modern setting. It just looks nice, as if it was made with art in mind, but the era of autistically detailed worlds is gone.
Cyberpunk 2047 comes to mind.

>> No.23054951

>>23052006
If you write something and it's interesting to read, then what other reason do you need?
There's no need for any justification outside being fun to read and write, but even if you insist, there are indeed benefits too:
>it helps organizing your ideas and establishing a sense of coherence in the story
>creating a setting serves as a framework makes collaboration and expansion of the fictional universe a lot easier
>settings are helpful for creating franchises, they are iconic elements to which people get fond of (Westeros, Hogwarts, Middle Earth, the Galactic Republic, etc.)

>> No.23054962
File: 30 KB, 500x500, 1707489375185971.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23048649
Honestly, when I read adventure stories i'm personally more interested in the adventures themselves rather than in the characters. Like, even in actual history, when I read about the spanish conquistadors for example, i'm always more interested to know about the fortune of their expeditions rather than focusing on, idk, the character development of Hernán Cortés.
Your character-centric point of view in fiction is not universal, and what you might not find interesting or fun to read, others may find fascinating.

>> No.23054967
File: 418 KB, 1940x1293, 28f79ff0ed58afac8c840ad28ae2d9c5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23045090
this dude knows a lot about trauma

>> No.23054985
File: 92 KB, 562x333, iRXASsjg2BP5EJuzNJH26g.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23054943
is cyberpunk really a leftist setting tho? I know the newer games and stuff probably are but the original cyberpunk setting is absurdly based. it predicted the rise of transhumanist trannies and furries. honestly ive never seen a cyberpunk setting that depicted modern degeneracy and globohomo as a good thing, if anything it seems to represent right-wing fears of the future becoming a soulless, cultureless corporate shithole. the final culmination of tolkiens orcish society. leftist just like cyberpunk because they look at a mixed race globalist hellhole with glittery lights and think 'whowowoaw so aesthetic!!1'

>> No.23055005

>>23054985
>is cyberpunk really a leftist setting tho?
Originally? No, it wasn't. And it was glorious, as you mention.
Nowadays though, most leftists have hijacked the term and use it as an excuse to criticize capitalism.

>> No.23055027
File: 359 KB, 378x760, illusionist.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>"An illusionist who realized that his body was no longer necessary in order to preserve his mind, and that by means of living off as an illusion in other's people's heads, he may live forever. Contrary to most other illusions he's no mere image, being fully sentient and preserving intact all the memories, personality and intelligence of his previous physical life. He is a strong illusion indeed, not even other master illusionists could banish him from their own minds easily. The only way for him to truly die is not being in anyone's mind for a moment; but this is a rather difficult feat to achieve, since he may be in the consciousness of hundreds of people at the same time. Locking him in a room, alongside a few witnesses, and killing them all at once while not looking, gets the job done. A suicide bomb generally does the trick, too."
I wrote this, but how should I call this being?
I was thinking of "illusiolich", but that sounds awful.

>> No.23055075

>>23055005
>Originally? No
of course it was. PUNK? duh.

>> No.23055082

>>23055075
yeah, and who are the real cyberpunks? who are the ones fighting the real powers now? not you. youre the ones licking their boots and praising them for adding neurodiverse agender black protagonists to 80 dollar video games intended for the bourgeoisie. punks are a branchoff of the skinhead movement anyways. its a working class movement, not a leftist one. and most working class are conservative.

>> No.23055111

>>23055075
It was cyberpunk, not cyber-pro-punk.
It was neutral, at worst, at best it was straight up against leftist degeneracy.

>> No.23055163
File: 169 KB, 900x900, 1703160631413754.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

what do you think makes the most compelling ending for a dark setting? redemption arc? tragic defeat? mysterious cliffhanger?

>> No.23055175

>>23055082
>>23055111
interesting takes.
not sure why youre trying to make this about me. i agree that modern leftists are not the punks they think they are.
but the "punk" in cyberpunk is about rebelling against the corporate establishment, and often any political aspect was a corrupt politician or something.
but again please post examples. because so far it seems like, at best an interpretation issue (which of course is part of art), or at worst a lens issue (the political lens you view cyberpunk through)

>> No.23055320

>>23055027
You're describing god

>> No.23055917

>>23055163
I think setting and story are totally separate. You could have any kind of story you wish in a grimdark setting and as long as the story is thematically coberent then it's ok.

>> No.23055954

i never was into lorebuilding...
Until I made a setting for my AI chatbot that's based on Claude 2.1 and GPT 4.5 LLM with custom jailbreaks for count of monte cristo-like dialogue and adventure story.

I wanted to just have some fun on drunk nights.
Instead I focused on programming the world. An empire with three vassalized kingdoms. I specified economy, banks, religion, theology (it's extremely autistic on theology, literally quotes Aquinas as its own dialogue but changes the words and adapts it to the religion I made, a new structurized, organized, monotheistic religion with its own myths and core values), some cities, magic, factions within the court, ruling caste, a few dynasties and their history, academias, scientific knowledge.

It's so fucking cool that I forgot about my bot and just keep creating that world lol

>> No.23055988

>>23055954
Welcome to the club pal

>> No.23056205

>>23055988
>>23055954
I have 3 binders full of autistic lore and maybe 20 percent of it will end up being used at most

>> No.23056309

>>23056205
Welcome to the club, pal, welcome.
I have, like, two whole pages on fictional sports, but I think that's interesting enough to be used... eventually.

>> No.23056560
File: 116 KB, 600x525, BorgiaBallcourt-1488h47.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23056309
do people die horribly if they lose/win?

>> No.23056660

>>23056560
Originally, yes, one of these sports was played to the death, being a sort of public mortal duel between mage lords.
That was the fun part for the public, actually, but times change.

>> No.23057494

>>23055175
kys troon

>> No.23058022

>>23055082
Don't conservative legislators pretty consistently vote to cut taxes and degregulate giant corporations?
That doesn't really sound like fighting the power to me

>> No.23058076

>>23058022
If you really think Microsoft, Google or Apple have more power than the US government then you are absolutely delusional.

>> No.23058565

>>23058076
But... in cyberpunk corpos do have more power than the government.

>> No.23058930

>>23058565
You were talking about real life in >>23058022
It's almost as if you think that IRL corpos have all the power and politicoans are bootlickers, when it's the complete opposite.

>> No.23059044

>>23058076
>companies that have more money and loyal followers than you do and which have forced you to exclusively use their services and know everything you do have more power than you do
>delusional!

>> No.23059064

>>23058930
Wasnt me. Just jumping in on the overall topic off cyberpunk. Or have you completely gone off-topic

>> No.23059616

Someone give me references for an Earth region so toxic and inhospitable that not even bacteria can survive in it.

I want to create a superweapon that can turn any site into hell, and will endure for millennia. I want some inspiration.

>> No.23060943
File: 343 KB, 2000x1372, 503311_gettyimages590676199_276385.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23059616
Well, the Chernobyl site isn't THAT bad, but it's close, especially around the "elephant foot", maybe start there.

>> No.23061564

>>23059044
You either don't know how to read, or you are just being intellectually dishonest with your arguments. The eternal leftist question.
I said they are not as powerful as the government. Or at least the US gov. Not that they are powerless.
Saying they are the "powerful ones" and that "the state should regulate big corpos to fight the bad evil guys in power" is not only delusional (because they are not actually in power), is also counterproductive.

>> No.23061595 [DELETED] 

>>23059064
Bro, I was responding to an actual political commentary about conservative politicians IRL (>>23058076), and you just jump off talking about how that's not accurate to cyberpunk (>>23058565).
Are you retarded?

>> No.23061605

>>23059064
Anon, I was responding to a political commentary about conservative politicians IRL (>>23058022), and you just jump off talking about how that's not accurate to cyberpunk (>>23058565).
Are you retarded?

>> No.23062144

I'm really liking some recent worldbuilding breakthroughs I've had recently
>Took inspiration from the Red in DC comics and reflavored my "demon realm" to be a dimension where nature is unbound and it's a constant state of fucking, fighting, eating, and evolving in order to be the dominant life form. This realm originated in response to the Great Divide at the beginning of time when more Lawful primordial beings were overcome with Desire and Thought and wanted to sow life across the universe in a more structured manner, these two sides would eventually go to war for dominance spawning the BBEG of the story.
>Have a Mother Nature inspired deity that is on the Lawful side of creation, Nature referring primarily to earth and plant life along with weather, going to make her a giant draconic woman in a perpetual pregnancy.
>When the beasts from the chaos dimension spill into the real world she devours them whole and gives birth to a more docile form of the creature, after hundreds of thousands of years this is how animal life developed on the world.
>She rarely is not successful in this devouring, some giant beasts walk the earth to this day albeit significantly less hostile and powerful outside the chaos dimension. She also unsuccessfully devoured a particularly vicious and intelligent animal and vomited them back up, the parts that spilled on the earth would create humanity and the parts that spilled into the ocean would become a race of fierce shark people. The former was skilled in ingenuity and the latter war, but both extremely adept at survival.

>> No.23062887
File: 196 KB, 1084x700, Mesoamerican-ball-game-players.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23056560
Why would anyone play a game where you die if you win?

>> No.23062995
File: 77 KB, 592x800, suicide hotline.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23057494
yup, its /pol/brainrot

>> No.23063016

>>23062887
Maybe you get the prize of being offered in a certain honirary sacrifice. Like, every year the strongest warrior gets sacrificed and the game is a way of deciding who is he.

>> No.23063086

>>23062887
>me on the right chilling with my cheetah

>> No.23063095
File: 397 KB, 290x558, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23063086
kek
>bro I'm literally just vibing rn

>> No.23063114

You have 10 seconds to post 1 (ONE) magic spell and its effect.
I'll start
>Sun Mouth:
Offensive spell. Opens are portal to the literal sun.
(Im already seeing flaws in it because the magic isnt actually about the Sun its just a portal.. but whatever)

>> No.23063157
File: 72 KB, 411x459, Tezcatlicheqem.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23062887
>trust me bro, after you get sacrificed, its mad bitching up here in Tlahuiztlampa, bitches, money, weed, hoes, anything you want, and INFINITE games of ball in the sight of us Gods. doesnt that sound like a great deal?

>> No.23063159

>>23063114
magic in my setting is weird and incomprehensible to the common man, oftentimes crossing the line between technology and magic, fuck spells

>> No.23063176

>>23063159
cool. post a ____ and its effect then.

>> No.23063263

>>23061564
>I said they are not as powerful as the government
And you're blatantly wrong. Everything else you said is not related to my post. You do realize those companies are big because they bought the right politicians and lobbied laws that let them become big outside any control in the first place? Wake up, bootlicker sheep

>> No.23063325

>>23063263
They didn't buy them, they rented them for a while. Politicians don't stay bought. And because they have all the power in the relationship, the corporations don't have a choice about it.

It's more like extortion, tbf. The corporations are the victims in this arrangement.

>> No.23063752

>>23063263
>"you are a bootlicker for supporting free market, where whoever offers the best service/product at the best price to society gets benefited"
>"but i'm not a bootlicker for supporting giving more power to a centralized authority"
Again. Absolutely delusional. It's generally the other way around: conpa ies get big because they are friends with the right politicians.
Oh, the socialist politician is giving away free stuff? Guess who manufactures it? His cousin, owner of a company which poduces that exact product.
Politicians are and will always be more powerful than actionists.

>> No.23063943

>>23009653
Why did you put climax in scar quotes? If anything shouldn't that instead apply to human "climaxes" relative to pigs?

>> No.23064226

>>23063325
Once bought, you're in their pocket forever. The very fact that you sold out is enough to ruin a man's career, if played right. The other party has all the power in the situation and got what they wanted too. Politicians come and go like flies.

>>23063752
90% of companies are owned by the top 2% and you have the balls to talk about "free market"? I haven't met a person this deluded since the 90s.

>> No.23064597

>>23064226
It's funny. Faggots like you who support the government regulating the shit out of the market always use the excuse of "well it's not a free market because muh 2%...", but ironically their regulations always end up worsening the problem.
The EU has been regulating big tech companies for some years now, arguing they have monopolies. What new tech companies were born in europe in the last few years? No a single relevant one, that's for sure. So the monopolies stand, they just capped progress.
In any case. Again, you are delusional if you think microsoft has more power than the US government.

>> No.23065572
File: 1.12 MB, 1096x1768, ddmdcz0-47bac30d-33d7-45a0-be8c-41e45e46b3fc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23063157
Do you have any solid proof of this?

>> No.23066653
File: 145 KB, 1024x768, -8126e20082d60be2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23059616
Look up the hot springs in Yellowstone. You do NOT want to go swimming in some of them...

>> No.23067242

>>23064597
>like you who support the government
Where have I supported the government? Is there nothing but fluoride in your head?

>> No.23067833

>>23054967
Just Edgar Allen Poe knows a lot, no one else?

>> No.23068168
File: 716 KB, 1200x1517, Vincent_van_Gogh_-_Self-Portrait_-_Google_Art_Project_(454045).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23067833

>> No.23068172

>>23067242
Suuure, you don't support the government having more power, you just want them to hold bigger control on the market (>>23058022)

>> No.23068888

>>23009516
I don't see how could I, all my traumas came from family members acting like retards, not very interesting or useful.

>> No.23069070

>>23068888
If your life is boring then yeah, don't use it as inspo for your art.

>> No.23070202

>>23013897
Thats just alchemy. To get complex effects you need to combine elements. For healy I suggest water and fire.

>> No.23070688
File: 305 KB, 1000x667, 1000_F_568801812_jOMk1LwlRvaWWZYDePBmMOYhQ06XBewV.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23070202
I get water for healing, but why fire as well?

>> No.23070716

>>23070688
Not him, but cauterize wounds?

>> No.23070785

>>23070688
>>23070716
Steam.

>> No.23071470

>>23070785
Steam patients back to health?

>> No.23071587

>>23003258
>How is the cosmology of your setting structured, is the universe similar to ours with many stars and planets, or did you take a different approach (and if so, why that one)? What inspired you?
It's the same. The setting is meant to be an Earth-like future, even though the planet isn't "Earth" per se, and really I focused on other things.
As one important plot point tho the "Earth" eventually gets yaught into orbit around another sun. (And spends a few cold and dark millennia on the way)
Dunno. Guess there's an afterlife or something. Gods can kind of get their own plane, but really only in the sense of just vibin incorporeally and nonlocally. (Optional. They can also walk as flesh and bone)
There's no multiverse crap. That's midwit fodder. Ghosts and spirits are a thing. Hell or something like is, I guess, since a demonic invasion happened a couple thousand years ago and re-emerged a couple hundred ago.
They don't.

Magic is more about blood. Inheritance. Race affects it, a lot. "Whitish" and "Blackish" races having it, basically nobody else much. Can be given to sorcerers (drawn from volunteer) as additional fuel. Or can be taken by force. People with weak blood are still useful in this capacity, just less so.
Flesh in general can do it too. Unsure of what kind of methods exactly, but in order of increasing difficulty: fat, muscle, sinew, bone can be drawn. Would appreciate suggestions on how, I don't want it to be simple surgery or anything. But the harder it is (e.g. BONE) the more heinous the method is. Fat, in desperation muscle, are the only ones easy enough that anybody would really volunteer to have drawn. I'm thinking a kind of cannibalistic stew would get sinew/bone, but it can't be the only way, there needs to be something that doesn't involve killing or amputation, maybe just causes frailty or such. Sci-fi shit can be involved if needed (despite fantasy generally being more fantasy).

>> No.23071810
File: 1.95 MB, 480x320, 1611562084475.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Finish my world building to an acceptable level after almost a decade
>"Finally... I can start writing my book... But what do I write???"
>Like a solid week of writer's block before it hits me
>My reader knows NOTHING about this world I just made
This is such an obvious realization to make so late in the writing process, but my mind is actually exploding right now with possibilities.

>> No.23072368

**Apsara**

>A droid made to solve the population crisis. It's an extension of the old uterine replicator technology, except with the added ability to simulate human emotions.
>Their faces are derived from dead women that sold the rights to use their faces after their deaths to the corporations that make the Apsaras. Of course, there's so much "enhancement" involved to improve their looks that they look really different anyway
>It's called a gynoid, a robot that looks like a woman. It's personality is derived from the latest in personality simulation software, and can imitate the personality of an actual human woman. However, they need to be constantly "updated" to ensure they remain sufficiently dedicated to their purpose.
>The technology is still being updated. Scientists allege that by the end of the 1880s, gynoids will be able to completely take over from human women as the chief agents of embryonic development.
>This has been hailed as a massive step forwards for the lot of professional women, and has been praised by prominent feminists and Women's Rights activists. Its hoped that women will now soon be liberated from the inconvenience of childbirth that has held back their progress for centuries.

>> No.23072589

>>23070688
cauterize wounds as 16 said, purge corrupt flesh, can be used to remove ticks without damaging skin. fire and heat have lots of uses during medicine. you need fire to sterilize water in the first place; if you just pour any water over a wound you might infect it.

>> No.23072603
File: 264 KB, 318x414, HEY.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23071810
Just getting over this same situation. Just start reading some other books and maybe watching some movies or tv shows (of high quality of course). get an idea for what works and what doesnt, what you like to see and what you dont. maybe browse forums a bit, see what others like to see and dont. im basing the dramatic structure of my book on some old movies (wont say which, theyre MINE to rip off) and its helped me alot to drive the first couple plot actions forward. dont just ripoff finding nemo obviously, but learn lessons from how other writers/screenwriters compose a story. you can create an amazing world over 10 years and its all for shit if your book has a shitty intro or something.

>> No.23072882

>>23071810
No matter what you write you need to explain the setting to the reader, which ngl is actually very fun.

>> No.23073580
File: 93 KB, 720x720, b80dee4f373a2b00da52b931c6facc60.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23072882
Is it really? Any advice on doing so, BTW? Different guy, just to be clear.

>> No.23073945

>>23009495
based JRPG enjoyer

>>23013399
>>23041957
nta but in the game the mitochondria is actually another lifeform hidden inside the cell but gains individuality mutating the host

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E_bKobrC_o

>> No.23073975
File: 155 KB, 494x531, 1679830831160.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23021949

>> No.23074002

>>23055027
Freddy Kruegger wants a word

>>23055320
You are thinking of an egregore

>> No.23074052
File: 1.87 MB, 348x218, 1691369431962.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>cyberpunk was not lefti..
Donna Haraway

>> No.23074109

>>23073580
Look at popular fiction novels, what do they have in common? They explain the setting in a very natural and subtle way, which is very pleasent for the reader.
The way they usually achieves this is to only explain things when the MC actually learns about them. Therefore, in order to explain the most information possible, like in the case of an introductory novel, for example, the MC needs to be some kind of an outsider figure.
Take Dune for instance: the MC is a young noble, so people often explain politics to him, and he's an outsider of Arrakis, so he discovers the planet along the reader. Dune also uses another tool which I love, which are anexes like dictionaries, maps, and short stories at the end of the book which explain things for the reader who wants to know everything, or the one who is confused and didn't get the context cues.

>> No.23074113
File: 39 KB, 352x352, Donna_Haraway_2006_(cropped).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23074052
>Donna Haraway
literally who? no one, including feminists, have ever read this wrinkled old prunes ramblings

>> No.23074290

>>23074002
>Freddy Kruegger
Oh, the memetic-lich is not neccesarialy evil, and certainly cannot kill people. It's just illusions with a will on its own. Like a mental parasite or a psionic virus.

>> No.23074372
File: 96 KB, 450x450, d8cf5td-fd34336f-c1d5-4aa1-b81d-be718670afdd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23074109
That kind of thing is useful, even if I haven't read Dune itself. What are some other good examples, and what if the MC isn't an outsider (or are we using that definition loosely)?

>> No.23074409

>>23074372
I would argue it can even be done if the character is not an outside, through implications and context. clockwork orange is an excellent example. you dont even understand what the hell people are saying at first, it just slowly comes to you through context. droog=friend, inout=sex, etc. you can put the lore autism on a slow trickle and let the audience pick up on things

>> No.23074440

>>23074409
Caveman (1981) is another good example, oddly. By the end of the movie they're speaking entire chains of gibberish and you're following along perfectly.

>> No.23075358

Why would mecha need fingers? They'll obviously need arms to balance themselves, but they don't really need to manipulate anything.

Or do they?

>> No.23075380

>>23075358
Better, why would you need a mecha?

>> No.23075406

>>23075380
Because mecha combat is cool. There's just something about watching giant metallic men clash at each other with all the grace of a human form but with the inhuman power of technology.

>> No.23075426

>>23075406
Then I believe you can apply the same logic to any other related design choice.

>> No.23075570

>>23075426
It's just something I wanted to think about. Why would, after all, a mecha need fingers?

I added them to my world because I found them cool. But there needs to be some Watsonian reason as well, to make the setting less shallow. Besides, I can't really sell them as a superweapon that changed the entire paradigm of war without considering every facet of their functionality.

>> No.23075577

>>23074372
If you don't like my examples just say it, faggot.
>>23074409
Yeah but it's a slower process than just telling the reader, and you rely on the intelligence of the reader which is not optimal. A clockwork orange is generally catalogued as a difficult to read book, and the author had to put a dictionary in later editions.

>> No.23075928

>>23075358
Mecha are often armed with held weapons, which seem a lot more convenient that inbuilt weapons replacing the arms.

>> No.23076167

Is it possible, some day, to create an AI that is Turing Complete? That can simulate a human conversation, human emotions, and even the human soul?

In that case, would it be human?

>> No.23076178

>>23076167
Wrong thread fag.
Also, why wouldn't it be possible?
Everything is possible with code.

>> No.23076211

>>23076167
Is it possible to create an AI that can convincingly imitate humans? Yes. People are easy to convince.
Will it be human? No, never.

>> No.23076960

>>23074113
NTA, but why not, what's wrong with her stuff?

>> No.23077845

>>23076960
>imagine reading anything wrotten by a wom*n
lol, lmao even

>> No.23078301
File: 145 KB, 894x894, technoverse2125_by_onmarstonight_dgbm7ig-pre.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23076211
>People are easy to convince.
How exactly would an AI convince people then?

>> No.23078304

>>23077845
This isn't pol. Screw off, incel.

>> No.23078317
File: 131 KB, 1158x1298, 2mgd1ycw1t481.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23078304
nta but I refuse to read anything written by a woman, ever

>> No.23078700

>>23076178
I watched a little Blade Runner and decided I want my own Replicants. Androids designed to perfectly imitate humans, and to fulfill labor that humans cannot perform.

>> No.23078708

>>23078301
How? Using words. There are already a lot of retards who talk to ChatGPT like a friend and think it can genuinely understand them.

>> No.23079061
File: 39 KB, 575x556, tiredpepe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>people learn magic from grimoires
>there are supposed to be 102 grimoires in the world, teaching control of as many concepts
>try to list them
>can't barely come up with 50

>> No.23080191

>>23079061
What’s the list so far? Maybe we can help.

>> No.23080299

>>23080191
I'm open to suggestions. If anyone wants to use a similar system in their story without reinventing the wheel, feel free to borrow what parts you like.
https://pastebin.com/C6g9SWNi

Each grimoire has a latin name and represents one "pure concept". When a mage has learned "fire", how to apply it is up to the caster, shoot fireballs or warm up bathwater. So there aren't separate tomes or instruction manuals for every possible instance of heat.

>> No.23081459

bumping

>> No.23081622

>>23078304
>he unironically reads woman fiction
lmao enjoy your propaganda, fag.

>> No.23081637

>>23078301
Are you retarded? Do you know what the turing test is even? He wasn't refering to an AI convincing poeople, just an algorithm that is good enough to convince people that it's human.

>> No.23081647

>>23078700
Yeah it's possible, but current tech is advancing towards a different path.
Current AI is just efficient algorithms that self-improve. But don't let that stop you, write whatever you want.

>> No.23081684 [DELETED] 

>>23003252
>thread created 3 weeks ago
is /ssfg/ healing?

>> No.23082148

>>23079061
could leave the rest as mysteries or 'lost tomes'. blanks in the list, only a number

>> No.23082349
File: 596 KB, 545x800, dftbqcb-d45960e3-1b4b-48cd-a60d-95443b479a23.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23080299
Well, what about one for splitting things apart and another for fusing things together? Or one for Order and one for Chaos?

>> No.23082362

>>23079061
And what's the story of those grimoires? Why is there only one of each kind?

>> No.23082554

>>23079061
I like when its a completely random thing that you would never think of as a magic. Also, with that many there could be joke ones thrown in there - be fun with them.

>> No.23082588

>>23079061
>>23080299
- blood
- bone
- pleasure
- gravity
- teleportation (for example in Second Apocalypse it exists only as astral projection - but then someone improves upon it to full blown teleportation)
Also, you could even subdivide some of those into separate categories to beef up numbers.
Why 102 out of curiosity?

>> No.23082603

>>23079061
>>23080299
synergy - like alchemy but instead of mixing substances you mix magics?

>> No.23082652

>>23079061
>>23080299
summon - (demons to kill for you, or guardians to fight for you)

>> No.23082810

>>23079061
Why 102 specifically?

>> No.23082994

>>23082810
the 102 dildos of OP

>> No.23083014
File: 401 KB, 1920x820, GBzZ-QXXEAEiS3O.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23082148
>could leave the rest as mysteries
I considered this, as not even half of them will probably be involved in the story, and it's cool to leave secrets. However, it also feels mega lazy to not know what they are as the author. It opens doors to cheap solutions like, "oh whaddya know, the characters are saved from this terrible peril by a previously unknown grimoire that so happens to be exactly what they need!" I don't want to leave myself such lame escape routes.

>>23082362
Ancient alchemists created the grimoires to find ways to control nature. When a reader has learned the contents, a grimoire turns to ashes, but who knows the magic can produce copies. So they also became a way for mages to make quick cash. There are multiple copies of each book in circulation, or at least the popular ones. However, wizards and states both try to restrict the sale of grimoires, so there wouldn't be too many, nobody would gain too much power, and the price would stay high.

>>23082554
>I like when its a completely random thing that you would never think of as a magic
Many grimoires are pretty useless to a layman. Sound? What would you do with the power to control sound, if you're not a musician? But the process to create the originals was extremely slow and difficult. Which is why, for example, they made only a handful of grimoires for most common metals, instead of covering every mineral under the sun. The authors wouldn't waste decades of their lives to study things that were obviously useless, just for a prank. Unless one of them was an undead asshole

>>23082588
Blood and bone are composed of multiple elements. Someone who has learned "iron" might figure out a way to control the iron in blood, but such complex substances can't be manipulated directly. Gravity effects are covered by "Weight".

I'm not pleased with pleasure, personally, but it does fulfill the criteria for a "pure concept" and I suppose some deranged bastard would've gladly studied it too. It must be included. Teleportation is a complex mechanic, but it appears Motion isn't on the list. It's a necessary component. Thank you.

>>23082603
Magics can already be mixed without extra steps, to an extent.

>>23082652
This is another big move involving multiple parts and can't be covered in a grimoire. Where would the summoned things come from? I also don't like how overpowered summoning is.

>>23082810
>Why 102 specifically?
Because I liked the number. Under 100 felt stupidly few, but 200 or more would be nuts. No real reason.

Thanks to everyone for replies! It's been helpful

>> No.23083291

So i've been developing an idea for a cyberpunk setting and i want to hear what others think of it.
It would be set 150 years in the future on the largest colony on Mars. Corporations fully integrated the metaverse into society and control the world. Everyone has implants that make them access this alternate reality and most items are now digital instead of physical (ie. furniture or accessories), people can change their entire appearance or voice and corporations are now running psyops on a large scale. Mercenaries clear out building blocks thinking they're in a training area, people buy digital pets or partners who collect their data...
It's not much but i think what's here is decent :)

>> No.23083341

>>23083014
>chooses random number because it sounded good
>can't make up enough examples to fill that number
Have you consider lowering the number, perhaps?

>> No.23083346

>>23083014
If they were created by humans then why couldn't there be overlap of elements?
I could understand not being any overlap of topics if they were made by a perfect force such as a god or a primal nature, but if human made then you could have a book of shadows, a book of dark magic, a book of necromancy, and a book of curses. Even if they overlap a bit, who cares? That's due to human imperfection.

>> No.23083650

I want a character to have forms representing the food chain somewhat. Roughest idea right now is that bug form > reptile/partially aquatic form > some form thats a mix of various apex predators.

>> No.23083750

>>23083341
I have, but what if sudden inspiration hits later, and I find I have 100 of what I've promised 50? And it seems silly that the brightest minds in the world dedicated their lives to learning these secrets and couldn't come up with more than a handful. But that may be what I have to do.

>>23083346
>why couldn't there be overlap of elements?
Because fire is fire and water is water. Just like 1+1=2, there can only be a singular esoteric process that opens the door to a specific concept. Only one key that fits to the lock. The creators discovered the methods through a lot of trial and error, they didn't just make it up.

>> No.23083936

>>23083750
Your whole worldbuilding is fucking retarded and its logic is nonsense:
>yeah people write books and that somehows altears the fabric of reality, no two magical books can exist of the same topic and magical book can have two topics for some reason
>oh and they magically dissapear after use, and that's not for the writer's convenience at all
Pathetic. You treat learning magic not as learning, but as a mechanical process, almost binary, as in a stupid game.

>> No.23084919

>Playing around with the idea of "anti religions"
>Make a cool depiction of anti-Buddhism
>Make a cool depiction of anti-Christianity
>Reach Islam
Oh so I can't do this idea actually, never mind.

>> No.23084932

>>23084919
just change em a little so its not actually islam or obviously islam. like dont give em moons or anything ffs. what would your idea of anti-islam be anyways? total and absolute rebellion against God, since islam means submission?

>> No.23085085

>>23084919
>>23084932
what is an "anti-religion"

>> No.23085127

>>23085085
Literally just the mirror image of established religions. For example anti-Buddhism would focus on excessive and irresponsible hedonism and attachment to worldly possessions.

I don't want to even try doing an anti-Islam because I like having a head, but I'm worried it would be too obvious I'm being a coward if Islam is the only one I completely exclude.

>> No.23085165

>>23084919
First, are you really publishing this in such a manner that it will come to the attention of Muslims?

Second, how the fuck are they supposed to know that your Anti-Islam is in fact against Islam? Wouldn't it just be rebelling against slavery of an evil God?

>> No.23085217

>>23085165
my book deals directly with islamic themes and a portrayal of anti-islam I dont give a fuck let em behead me

>> No.23085237

>>23085127
Oh ok, so not like atheism. Its still a religion - just with the opposite rules of its counterpart.
Interesting concept.

As for Islam, if I were you I'd just do what I wanted (unless you live in their country where they have power). Especially since you aren't actually singling them out, as you're takes are on multiple different cultures.

>> No.23086233
File: 112 KB, 1024x752, hand_of_the_gods__prescience_by_eksafael_dbl2560-fullview.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23080299
Well, Scrying/Divination could work. And then there's Transmutation, and maybe a Biomancy book? Thoughts?

>> No.23086809

>>23086233
I have a hard time wrapping my head around the mechanics of divination, how that would manifest. But that reminded me of Dream and Intuition. The power to transmute any material into another smells really broken, but I can't think of a good reason not to include it. It's the fundamental goal of alchemists, after all. What does biomancy usually do? I haven't read books or played games that use it.
Thanks for the ideas!

>> No.23086934

>>23086809
>What does biomancy usually do?
Biomancy is the craft used to mold abominations out of living flesh.
According to various sources, Biomancy proceeds on the presumption that everything in nature, including life, is fundamentally mechanical. Despite the absurdity of this claim, few dispute the efficacy of Biomancy, as the Bio-Priests have time and again demonstrated the ability to “manufacture flesh.”
Scholars claim that the fundamental principles of Biomancy have been long lost, and that the Bio-Priests can only proceed in a trial-and-error fashion, on the basis of an incomplete understanding, and using ancient and ill-understood instruments.

>> No.23086937

>>23086934
Gross.

>> No.23087591
File: 55 KB, 564x412, qo5NV61.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23086934
>>23086937
I was thinking a bit more along the lines of the Simic Combine from MtG, allowing the users to create and modify creatures, including themselves. For instance, the leader can basically rest different parts of her brain in sequence so she doesn't need to sleep, and absorb oxygen and nutrients through her skin so she doesn't need to breath or eat, and the guild's creations as a whole help keep Ravnica's biosphere functional despite the entire planet being covered in cityscape, even the oceans.

>> No.23088555

>>23071470
Well, maybe it can be used to sterilize shit?

>> No.23088585

>>23009467
>obiwan
>anakin
i'm not a fan of the one character having a cheatcode.
if everyone used emotion, but he was getting results from typically ineffective emotions, i'd appreciate that more.

>> No.23089832

>>23087591
>and absorb oxygen and nutrients through her skin so she doesn't need to breath or eat,
i get the eating thing (although its a stretch to say air has enough nutrients to love on) but that breathing one is dumb because she is in fact still breathing

>> No.23090105
File: 135 KB, 1200x710, Dxb82J5UcAAETwy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23089832
I don't think that she gets the nutrients from the air specifically but her environment in general, and it's technically respiration not breathing. After all, to suffocate her you would need to create a vacuum, or at least an airtight space where she'll use up all the oxygen, instead of just covering her mouth and nose. And I'm sure that there are some augmentations that you'd love to have yourself.

>> No.23090624

>>23088555
You don't need magic for that

>> No.23091288

>>23090624
In a pre-industrial setting? Maybe it’s possible to do without magic, but magic would certainly help.