[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 84 KB, 733x944, Byron_1813_by_Phillips.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22958626 No.22958626 [Reply] [Original]

What do you think /lit/ would look like if the rules of the board were followed and the board was moderated?

>> No.22958646

>>22958626
What are the principal problems in your opinion.

>> No.22958712

>>22958646
Many many threads violate these rules:
>If you want to discuss history, religion, or the humanities, go to /his/.
>If you want to discuss politics, go to /pol/.
>Philosophical discussion can go on either /lit/ or /his/, but those discussions of philosophy that take place on /lit/ should be based around specific philosophical works to which posters can refer.
And especially this one:
>/lit/ is a slow board! Please take the time to read what others have written, and try to make thoughtful, well-written posts of your own. Bump replies are not necessary.
/lit/ is not a slow board anymore. The majority of the discourse on this board is short-form, memes, and trolling.
So many anons start threads complaining about blacks, women and jews, or disrupt legitimate threads with the same complaints. This is also against the rules.
Reporting doesn't work because the board isn't moderated. And then every time a thread like this is made, people are quick to tell them to be the change they want to see, instead of realizing that legitimate threads are either derailed or make their way to page 11 in less than a day.

As far as I can see, /lit/ could be a great board for those interested in literary studies. The way this board works is perfect for students or professionals or plain hobbyists to ask questions, hold discussions, and discover sources. The reasons that this board could serve that purpose so well are that the board is limited in scope, the UI doesn't promote endless scrolling and digital entrapment like Reddit or other forums.

>> No.22959929

>>22958712
The /his/ rule for history, philosophy, or religion is simply not tenable considering that all literature exists heavily within the context of all three. It's just a stupid rule, which is why it isnt enforced. if it were enforced strictly we would all be forced to talk about genreslop

>> No.22960769

>>22958712
/lit/ has always been the humanities board and should remain so. I don't understand why m00t needed to add humanities to /his/. Seems pretty stupid to me. What bothers me most about the board is the dozens of threads per day asking "where do I start with X philosopher?"

>> No.22960773

>>22958626
Empty

>> No.22960780

>>22958626
Boring
Rules are made to be broken
Hey just imagine a book about people who only follow the rules to a T and as a result never experience any conflict or hardship
That would sure be fun

>> No.22960781

>>22958712
Conveniently ignoring butthurt third worlders derailing threads and going on rants about evil whites and other leftist nonsense, i see.

>> No.22961793

>>22959929
Literature exists within the context of all three, which means that threads should discuss all three in the context of relevant literature, not just make threads about God all the time.

>> No.22962247

>>22961793
Well that depends what you mean by "threads about God". Theology is undeniably literature.

>> No.22963954

worth it, just to get f gardner to shut up

>> No.22963973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e6a7SW8wZA

>> No.22964033

>>22960781
How often do they actually start those derailments though? The most common example I see of a derailed/off-topic thread is:

> someone recommends a book / multiple books
> One (1) of those books has either a main character or an author who is a woman or something like that
> Two or three chuds start autismoid screeching about how women are soulless so they will never read that one (1) book that was recommended
> One or two "Leftists" ask why the presence of women deters them so easily
> The chuds didn't expect someone to try and engage them intellectually because they're trolls who don't care about literature, so they have no logical response and just chimp out
> Thread devolves into animalistic identity politics shit flinging

Essentially, I only ever see leftist politics being brought up off-topic in reaction to right wing politics already derailing the thread. I've already seen this pattern occur in two different threads today (sffg and that op asking how he can get his wife to be quiet while he reads).

Also, I agree that its not a big deal if history, philosophy, and religion are brought up, since these are intrinsically tied to literature and literary conversation. I think the main issue is the constant plague of retarded pseud identity politics flooding every post.