[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 310 KB, 283x455, medprof-joyce4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2295181 No.2295181 [Reply] [Original]

Sup, casuals. I'm going to pick up a copy of this tomorrow and start it. How far will I get?

Over/under is set at 200 pages.

>> No.2295202

It's not about how far you get or anything like that. It's really about if your eyes alight on something you actually take note of/find interesting. Every word is interpretable six ways from Sunday, so it's a phenomenally fun read if you've got the right attitude. Good luck, soldier.

>> No.2295206

I'm black, so I don't think I'll ever read it.

>> No.2295216

Read it aloud, with some other people.

I'm not sure if it's the kind of book one reads straight through. It's more like, you pick it up, read a bit. Put it down for a long ass time. Repeat.

>> No.2295224

page 5

>> No.2295282
File: 109 KB, 845x998, Yves Tanguy.-divisibility.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2295216
Oh yes. I did that exact same thing.
I just don't plan on picking it back up ever again.

>> No.2295768

The guy on the cover looks like hes sucking a big giant cock.

>> No.2295775
File: 52 KB, 254x222, DONTMAKEMEFUCKYOUUP.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>reading finnegans wake from the beginning
>digging up joyces corpse attaching an inflatable pigs bladder and fucking the farts out of it
THEY THINGS ARE THE SAME THING

>> No.2295952
File: 495 KB, 194x172, 231543452435.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2295768

>> No.2296105

Since FW's worth at least 10,000 books in one, reading to page 5 (that would be the first 2.5 pages) is equivalent to months of effort on a regular book. Getting up to or past Mutt and Jute is a solid goal. Getting to the Museyroom is not for you fucking college kids. For real readers I'd say just set yourself the goal of finishing chapter 1; if you can finish that, you can finish the book. It's just 29 pages pages, it's challenging, but the last page of chapter 1 is in plain english and will sort of re-focus your energy and invite you on the journey of the rest of the text to figure out who will be “ultimendly respunchable for the hubbub caused in Edenborough"

>> No.2296158

>>2296105
I take it the effort involved is due to a combination of the sheer number of references to other works, how devious these references are and the impenetrability of some of the made up words? I find myself intrigued by Finnegan's Wake but I highly doubt I'm well read enough (or ever will be) to understand even 5% of it. I just don't have the time to read much apart from scientific journals these days.

Of course I could just look up an annotated version but that'd spoil all the fun!

>> No.2296193

>>2296158
There are many references, but I don't think you need to get them all.
There are several foreign words and polyglot puns, with Russian, Spanish, German Latin Norwegian and Gaelic among the languages sprinkled into the text. You don't need to know them all to read the book.

The main difficulty is comprehending the text of the dream-world, where character, plot and setting are fluid and constantly shifting. It's pretty simple in retrospect having finished the book, but when a character's name may change in every sentence and the language is changing and they're acting out an Aesopean fable, it requires all one's mental powers being brought to bear to visualize or conceive of the action of the book.

>> No.2296852

>go on online library website thing
>finnegans wake - IN TRANSIT
>its been in transit for days

gkebgh,mnvd sjkadsjhfsjkhfsjh

>> No.2296921

>>2296852
>gkebgh,mnvd sjkadsjhfsjkhfsjh

On which page of Finnegan's Wake is that sentence?

;-)