[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 43 KB, 400x527, Fantasy Book.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2294187 No.2294187 [Reply] [Original]

I'm writing a Fantasy book. A series actually.

I think I have a pretty decent idea. It's not genre-defining, of course, but in my honest opinion...it could turn out to be a really, really good read.

So /lit/, tell me what to avoid. Tell me what could ruin a book. Clichés that have been used a little too much. Sentences that make you sigh. Plot points that make you question why you started reading in the first place. Characters that force you to snap the book shut in protest.

>> No.2294213

You're coming to the wrong board for knowledgeable, sincere advice.
Pretty much anything that anyone tells you here is wrong, stupid, or intentionally misleading

>> No.2294228

>>2294213

Oh. Oh I see...

Well, I just thought it could be an interesting discussion of what Fantasy clichés are overused and such. A quick Google search always just brings up the same, obvious answers.

Ah well, back to the drawing board I guess!

>> No.2294230

Bad writing is usually a turn off for me.

>> No.2294242

Overused cliches: Everything. Seriously, most fantasy is just copy/paste bullshit, unfortunately. Take one particular cliche and turn it on it's head, see what happens.

Bad sentences: "Verily, I wilt stab ye betwixt thine thighs." I don't know, stupid medieval speak thrown all over the place is shitty. For some reason, sentences whose entire purpose is to describe a character piss me off. It always comes out looking like a shitty fan fic.

Garbage Plot: Something that doesn't make sense. Something that doesn't make you think a little bit. I mean, having a deeper meaning isn't required, but I like stories that have wider implications than "Prince saves Princess".

Shitty characters: Unnecessary/underdeveloped characters. Having a robust secondary line up is fine, but don't shoehorn people into the main cast just to diversify. More than a few books enjoy cramming as many people in as possible, as if the author kept thinking up races as he was writing the book.

Also, this is just personal preference, but keep the story moving at all times. Too many people enjoy flexing their muscles by showing how diverse their vocab is and how good they are at describing things. I'm tired of sentences having too many clauses, and I'm tired of authors not getting the fuck on with things. The reader has an imagination; let him use it.

>> No.2294256

Read U.K. Le Guin's essay 'from elfland to poughkeepsie.' She covers a lot of errors fantasy writers make.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ksOjjuy3issC&pg=PA83&lpg=PA83&dq=from+elfland+to+poughk
eepsie&source=bl&ots=IkmYWegvjH&sig=MxvJlKBIk477MNsI3pUVpTt3uV0&hl=en&sa=X&e
i=7UwCT6zeFKWhiALph-ixDw&ved=0CEwQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=from%20elfland%20to%20poughkeepsie&
f=false

>> No.2294293

>>2294256

Thanks. This is a pretty interesting read

>> No.2294311

>>2294242
>For some reason, sentences whose entire purpose is to describe a character piss me off. It always comes out looking like a shitty fan fic.
This, seriously. I don't care about what they're wearing, or their leather scabbard with a heft sword tied to the belt of their red and silver cuirass with elegantly etched emblems of dragons and wolves. Useless bullshit that is the difference between writers who tell a story and writers who have sad lives and wish they could be adventurers.

>> No.2294329

Also about dialogue: Don't try to make the dialogue like some stiff shitty archaic type of stuff like, "Have I passed the solemn and sacred initiation test, venerable hunt master?" like I've read in some bad fantasy novels. That's boring.

>> No.2294332

I'm interested. Tell us the setting and story.

>> No.2294348

>>2294332

I would like to, I really love telling people my ideas, and I'm not afraid of criticism.

But I'm (probably needlessly) afraid of posting such ideas on the Internet in the fear that someone might get there first...it is born from my imagination, after all.

>> No.2294354

>>2294348
I understand, dude. Now I hate you, because you've gotten me interested.

>> No.2294360

>>2294348

>implying your ideas are original
>implying im not reading your mind right now

seriously though, spill the beans. we can race to see who finishes your story first.

>> No.2294370

>>2294348
You don't have to, but i wouldn't copy this shit. I'm writing book as well, but i have this funny thing call integrity. I can't say the same for other anons, though. I know dat feel.

>> No.2294369

>>2294354

Sorry man...now I hate myself, since I'm passing up an opportunity to have a genuine discussion about something I think about on a daily basis! Damn it!

>>2294360

And yeah I know, nothing is original anymore, is it? Still, I'd like to think that one day someone might read my work and think 'you know what, I enjoyed that."

>> No.2294376

>>2294370

Yeah, it's best best being careful and all that.

You writing fantasy as well, or?

>> No.2294383

>>2294376
I don't have a large enough brain to write anything other than fantasy. I have a quick question: How do you write? Not what you write, but how?

>> No.2294387

Sounds cool

>> No.2294394

>>2294383

Well, I try to write realistically. In any situation, I try and think about what an actual, living person would really do, rather than what's good for the plot. (I have no idea if that's a bad thing or not.)

I've written a lot of third person, but now I'm in the process of re-writing the same story in first-person. I want a more personal feel. There are sections where I want the reader to empathise with how lonely that character is.

Also, I enjoy writing from different perspectives, but I'm trying to keep it to a minimum...

How about you..?

>> No.2294405

>>2294348
this is really silly and amateurish, and it drives me crazy how many times it comes up on this board.

seriously this has never been an issue, "ideas" for stories are never so important, rare or special that anyone would ever steal them, and this is doubly (triply! quadruply!) true of the ideas of a first time fantasy writer who is probably in his late teens to early twenties(?). Anyone who could execute your idea before you do certainly has the talent to come up with his own ideas. Tons of people have ideas, only a small number of people actually execute them, only an even smaller number of those people ever execute them in a publishable fashion.

Writing fiction, hell, writing speculative fiction is 1% an idea and 99% having the skill and work ethic to write it properly.

but honestly I'm glad that you're not telling us because you seem the type that when you saw a book on the shelf that was similar to your idea you wouldn't think "oh I guess I'm not as unique and original as I thought I was" you would think "dammit, I knew I shouldn't have posted it on /lit/, this george r. r. martin fellow obviously stole my idea!"

>> No.2294416

>>2294394
I have such a low attention span that the story I'm working on now is written in fragments. I have the plot thought and written out, so I write the parts I find the most interesting. I noticed that I always failed because it got boring for me. So breaking down into smaller parts is much easier for me.
I try my best to make every character flawed. A perfect character is boring. My main character was formerly a complete monster, and he found faith in a god (Being an atheist and writing about a religious character is kind of weird), which made him want to make up for all the pain and destruction he caused. He travels through the continent being persecuted (it comes out like him being a Jew being persecuted by a continent of Catholics).
In some ways, I think it's cliched, but he kind of deserves it once you know what he's done.

>> No.2294417

>>2294416
OP sounds a little paranoid, not like an asshole.

>> No.2294418

>>2294417
Fuck,
not that guy, this >>2294405 guy

>> No.2294420

>>2294405

Ah, you're getting me wrong though. I'm not bothered about people "stealing my ideas" because I think I'm unique or brilliant in that regard. It's just because it means a lot to me, that's all. I've put a lot of thought and effort into it, it would drive me crazy to know that anyone else might change or toy with it in any way. Only I'm allowed to do that.

I know it's a hard concept to understand, I don't know how I can explain it simply...It's a mental thing.

>> No.2294421

make up the most ridiculous names possible

>> No.2294426

>>2294187
I'm kind of in the same boat as you OP. I write a variety of stuff, but have chosen to focus solely on my fantasy story until it's completed. *I* personally love the story and the characters, they're the best I've ever made before, but like you said, nothing groundbreaking or genre-defining.

As far as things to avoid,, can't think of anything this thread hasn't mentioned / so obvious if you actually do them you should kill yourself.

>> No.2294428

>>2294416

Well, everyone has their own ways of writing. I read about this method a while back, actually. I don't think it's for me though...even when I eat food I like to save the best 'til last.

Perfect characters are boring, exactly, I love flawed characters, they feel so much more real and unpredictable. I like the feeling of not knowing what a character may do next, because not everything always goes to plan in life.

>> No.2294431

>>2294417
perhaps you're right. I suppose that if OP is kind of a dick, it's wholly unintentional and unconscious. that is- the presumption behind his paranoia, the arrogance that his idea is so good someone would steal it and be successful with it. this is not the arrogance of one who is obstinate in the face of facts, but rather the arrogance of one who is simply naive, maybe a tad ignorant.

but seriously, we see this sentiment expressed ALL THE TIME on /lit/. there's a great thread in the archives about a high school kid and his desire to publish his poetic sequence, it's pretty hilarious.

>> No.2294434

Ashley's heart began to race, and her breathing quickened. The two orbs on her chest strained against the thin white fabric. Shawn tore her shirt off and pressed one of her nipples into his mouth, where it was sucked and nibbled and caressed. The other breast wasn't forgotten, instead tended to by expert fingers.

The panties were already gone, and Shawn had his manhood in hand. Although she had seen it many times before, Ashley couldn't help but gasp at the sight of the monster before her. A thick, ebony rod, eight inches long and over six around. She surveyed it intently, from the glistening tip, down the throbbing shaft, and ending with a sack that hung down at least five inches.

Shawn roughly pushed the head of his thick member into her pussy. She was already quite wet, and the rest of the shaft began to slide in. Her heart skipped and her stomach fluttered with every inch. Finally, Ashley was filled, completely, and Shawn was taken in, completely.

That's an excerpt from my highly esteemed novel about a white chick who wants black dicks. Now let me see a piece of your story OP.

>> No.2294438

>>2294428
>>2294428
I just did what came naturally (read, the cool parts). What the method's name?

>> No.2294445
File: 17 KB, 339x425, 1276359477192.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2294434
buhahahha. awesome story anon.

but yeah, srsly OP, man up and tell us SOMETHING

>> No.2294447

>>2294426

That's exactly the thing, isn't it. If you enjoy your characters and your story, if they're genuinely good, it would make for a good read. As long as it's written well, of course. As someone mentioned earlier one of the worst turn-offs is a badly written book.

>> No.2294450

>>2294431
People are human, bro. He's paranoid and loves his idea very much, obviously. I'd talk about my idea with friends because I know the well, but I wouldn't feel comfortable saying it to anons, which is incredibly hypocritical since I asked OP to tell us about the story.

>> No.2294453

>>2294431

You honestly think I'm a dick?

>>2294438

Err, I'm not sure it had a name. It was just some advice page about getting over writer's block or something.

>> No.2294467

>>2294447
Aye. I think I have a pretty good plot, there's a lot of backstory for each character, and the main events affect both the politics of the vaious nations, and even the gods themselves.

at the moment I'm just focusing on finishing a rough draft, then I'll go through and smooth things out, flesh out details, etc. I could go on, but I don't wanna hijack the thread.

>> No.2294472

Don't add any godlike characters or beings. Just don't.

Keep the power level of your enemies at or above the main characters. Nameless henchman get old fast.

Having a moralfag is okay, but you need someone with a conficting view.

Don't make every character sound exactly the same. See: Kevin Smith

Just some off the top of my head.

>> No.2294485

>>2294467

Did you write out your story first?

With me, I had a very clear idea of what my world was like. I had the main characters in mind, and the main plot was there. Then I made the mistake of starting to write...

On my second draft, I've got a much better idea of what I want to go down. I have a small synopsis of each chapter and more than just the main plot. It's going much better (obviously).

>> No.2294488

It's ok guys, I hacked OP's comp and got a rough draft:

Fantasyland: Repercussions of Evil

Sir John of Stalvern waited. The torches beside him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were wizards in the castle. He didn't see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Cernel Joson were not listenend to and now it was too late.

Far too late for now, anyway.

Sir John was a knight for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the horses and he said to dad "I want to be on the horses daddy."

Dad said "No! You will BE KILL BY WIZARDS"

There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the castle of the UAC Kingdom, he knew there were wizards.

"This is Joson" the magical link crackered. "You must fight the wizards!"

So Sir John gotted his garetsword and knocked down the wall.

"HE GOING TO KILL US" said the wizards

"I will shoot at him" said the superwizard and he fired the magic missiles. Sir John swung his greatsword at him and tried to slew him. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.

"No! I must kill the wizards" he shouted

The magical link said "No, John. You are the wizards"

And then Sir John was an acolyte.

>> No.2294493

>>2294450

See, this guy understands, and he's the one who asked me about it in the first place!

>> No.2294494

>>2294230

>Also, this is just personal preference, but keep the story moving at all times. Too many people enjoy flexing their muscles by showing how diverse their vocab is and how good they are at describing things. I'm tired of sentences having too many clauses, and I'm tired of authors not getting the fuck on with things. The reader has an imagination; let him use it.

This.

And especially:

> Too many people enjoy flexing their muscles by showing how diverse their vocab is and how good they are at describing things.

This.

I hate it when writers spend so much time on describing the world and shit that has happened and then they forget about the actually story.

>> No.2294510

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Fantasy

Here.

>> No.2294539

How about magic? How much is too much? Not enough?

I like it when it exists, but is still something special, rarely seen or used, not part of the main plot and doesn't take away from it.

In The Name of The Wind, it's kind of like this. More a science than magic.

>> No.2294550

>>2294485
For me, it's kind of a long story.

I started out making up just the main characters I wanted. Since it was a fantasy story, I used D&D Character sheet to get some physical basics, and gave each character a BRIEF back-story, I'm talking a paragraph long backstory, and started writing. I had a separate notebook I kept all my notes and rough draft in. I got about 20 pages in and started getting writers block.

Then my family went to my Uncle's house across the country for Thanksgiving, and I accidently LEFT my notebook there. Another Aunt of mine who was there took it with her, but never mailed it back to me. So I started anew.

Fast forward a year and a half. Same story, same characters, but much more detailed, with ideas for other characters and events that happen outside the normal course of the story. Writing was going good, and it all had its own separate folder. Then my dad finally divorced his crazy second wife.

Step mom steals the book, for no other reason than to fuck with ME. She did a lot of other things, but what's important is I lost all my writing material.

Fast forward two years later, I have a semi-desk job working the night shift, and restarted writing. All the characters got re-vamped, very detailed backstory, and all the side events I had made up previously more-or-less meshed in the story I had created.

I know what's going to happen, I know the ending, I even have the basic ideas for a sequel (and even a second sequel!), it's just now a matter of writing it DOWN.

TL;DR story was taken twice, and it got better every time I rebooted it.

>> No.2294549

>>2294539
>>2294539
Sympathy is commonly used in the Kingkiller Chronicle. Kvothe uses it to solve problems, but most of the time he doesn't. in general, magic should be apart of the story, it shouldn't drive the story.

>> No.2294559

>>2294485
>>2294550
sorry that took so long, also watching a movie with my roommates.

>> No.2294568

>>2294550
>D&D character sheet.
You're fucking serious? Did you play your characters?

>> No.2294582

>>2294568
(continued)
I can imagine George R. R. Martin using Bran Stark.
>You're using a cripple, Martin? Is you serious?
>He can turn into a wolf and see through the eyes of trees.
>Okay. (dungeon starts)
>Enemy casts Magic Missile on Summer. It dies immediately
>GOD DAMNITTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>> No.2294607

>>2294568
I wish. I didn't really know anyone around who was into it. Military family, moved around all the damn time. I've used a couple names as characters in video games, but that's it.

>> No.2294627

>>2294550

Hey, so perhaps you losing your books was a good thing after all. Sounds a lot like me, man. I restarted a lot when I first started, then each time it got better and better. Even after all these years I can't get the story out of my head. I have to complete this book. It'll send me crazy if I don't.

I go through phases. Right now, I'm in a writing phase. All I want to do is write. Not incredibly clever of me, since I have University work to be doing.

Damn, now I'm interested in YOUR story. Kind of want to see how the characters evolved from being D+D character sheets to fully-fledged characters in a living, breathing story.

>> No.2294644

>>2294627
(not the other guy)
I tried to write two different stories before starting the third, the one I'm working on now. The first two succeeded in shaping the world. It sucks to have to start anew, but it helped in the long run.

>> No.2294700

>>2294627
Ummm, sure, thread is pretty much dead about OPs story.

What do you want to know?

>> No.2294709

>>2294700

Heh, pretty much. Though to be fair I am OP.

I d'know. I guess, did your characters have any traits at the beginning you ended up getting rid of later on? Any you felt the need to add?

With my characters, it was a case of making them different enough to be interesting on their own, but they had to work well together, as a lot of the story revolves around them working through things in a group.

>> No.2294742

>>2294709
lawwwwwwl, no offense intended.

Well, I just had basic ideas for the characters. The genesis of the story was this: I wanted to write a story with a main character who was a Necromancer. I then decided he was going to be an elf.

Next character, another elf. A ranger, and friend of mr Necromancer. Made about 6 more 'main characters' I wanted to use. Not much more backstory than that when I first started.

Fast forward to present. I ask, How, Why is Mr Elf now Mr Necromancer? Where did he learn it? What IS Necromancy?

He was an orphan, and left near a human magic school. They took him in, but winter snows fell before word could be sent to the elven nation. Once it was sent, it was largely ignored, and there he stayed. He studied there at the school, and chose to learn more about Necromancy, the manipulation of life energy. Mostly used for evil, but the magic itself is neutral. Add relationship with the headmaster of the school and his quest for knowledge and to prove himself, and I had a ripe character ready to go.

It was kind of like that. I'm trying my best to sum up without going on and ON. But for the most part, the characters that I made, I didn't really change or rewrite anything. As corny as it sounds, they pretty much wrote themselves.

I could go on, but I'm not sure where to go next

>> No.2294762

itt: people talking about the books they will never write

>> No.2294766

>>2294742

None taken man.

Aah, so is your character ostracised for being an elf, then?

My characters are human. I based them off of people I knew in real life to start off with (back when I was much younger, and new to this whole thing). Then, they grew into their own and I can't imagine them any other way now.

>> No.2294768

>>2294742

Are you gonna call it Necro Potter?

on account that you've raped an already murdered book?

Or perhaps Lord of the Necromancers?

Lord of the Neck Braces

brace face

neck beard

>> No.2294784

Y'Know, when people on /lit/ say they're writers, this is exactly what I imagine they mean. Shitty fantasy novels that they've been reworking since adolescence, unwilling or unable to grow up and put their childish attempts at storytelling aside.

Who can blame them, it worked for Christopher Paolini OH WAIT HE ACTUALLY FINISHED HIS
I aint even a genre snob

>> No.2294785

>>2294762

OP here, I'm not sure about anyone else, but I've written the book once. I'm re-writing it now.

>> No.2294791

>>2294187
OP, just curious. How old are you?

>> No.2294794

>>2294791

>> No.2294810
File: 47 KB, 400x300, 1276747096564.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2294768
I'm actually going to call it "Lord of the Necro Potters" , it's a Trilogy made of seven books about a bunch of kids who take over the world with a magic ring and an invisibility cloak, and the first chapter is all about describing a leaf.

Make fun all you want, my self-esteem doesn't hinge on anons appreciating a quick summery of a book that isn't even half finished.

>> No.2294814

>>2294784

I see where you're coming from. But who's to say that once you're past that adolescent stage, you can't make something good out of the ideas you had as a teenager? A lot of people have that "one idea". Some finish it, some don't. Some are good enough to be read by hundreds, maybe thousands, some aren't.

Good books, aren't made overnight.

>> No.2294839

>>2294810

>my self-esteem doesn't hinge on anons appreciating a quick summery of a book that isn't even half finished.
>summery

That's good because I merely 'avin a laff. Bring on the summery summers of fantastical content.

>> No.2294841

>>2294766
totally forgot to respond to you OP, my bad.

Yeah, after being raised by humans he is seen as 'tainted' by his own kind, and was shunned when he returned to the elven capital, so he lives as a hermit when the story starts. There is also a difference in the nature of magic used by humans vs elves. The magic that we normally think of wizards and mages using in most stories is usable by humans only. The magic elves use is a different kind of magic, and it's part of their blood and they use it naturally, blah blah. Anyway, Mr Necromancer can only use "human magic" and was inept to learn "elven magic".

As far as basing the characters on people I know? It's actually the first story I've written where the ENTIRE cast is NOT based on ANYONE I know personally. Most stories I've written were, to one degree or other, but these characters started as mere D&D sheets, and after starting the story for the third time, adding details and events and flaws and blah blah blah, they're all their own being. That in and of itself is what I'm most proud of about this story, everything else be damned.

>> No.2294850
File: 77 KB, 565x635, god-dammit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2294839
>>2294810
summary*

>> No.2294851

>>2294814
>But who's to say that once you're past that adolescent stage, you can't make something good out of the ideas you had as a teenager?

because that never happens, and the rare exceptions are prodigies and even then not particularly good

because we're talking about fantasy novels imagined by teenagers and what attracts teens to fantasy is basically just juvenile power fantasies

because when you're supposedly an adult, a more mature writer, but you're still preoccupied with the shit a child version of you came up with instead of making something new, that kind of proves that you haven't matured very much at all. maybe you can throw a sentence together a little better, but you sure aren't any better at judging what's good or bad

here's another question for you two guys: how much do you actually read? even better: how much non-fantasy do you read? I seriously doubt it's very much if you still think there's merit in something you came up with as a child.

>> No.2294863

>>2294851

Don't crush dreams. What if....what if some punk strung Tolkein up by his briefs for doing a school project on goblins? Mightn't the epicest series of all books in the world mightn't not have been born? You just....you just WATCH IT BUDDY!

>> No.2294866

>>2294851
>implying I think my stories have any merit whatsoever
I write because I feel like it, not to get published or impress people.

>> No.2294876

>>2294256
>U.K. Le Guin
She writes crappy fantasy books. How snobbish of her to write an essay how to write fantasy.

>> No.2294882

>>2294876
>>2294876

"Those who can't do, teach"

>> No.2294883

>>2294851

I'm not talking about a Christopher Paolini type of book here though. Not something thought up as an adolescent and written as one, too.

I read quite a bit, actually. A hell of a lot of fantasy, because that's what I'm into. I just finished reading "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" though. I'm pretty sure that'snot fantasy.

Look, like I said, I see where you're coming from. You see those guys on the Internet all the time. But this isn't something I'm doing to impress my mates or get rich and famous. I genuinely love writing and I love imagining. I love hearing my friends talk about my ideas like they're more than just ideas.

Like I said, I've finished this book once. I'm writing again. I only started the thread to hear people's opinions on what they would like to *not* see in fantasy books for a change.

I didn't expect anyone to judge me with a basis of, well, nothing. Then again...this is the Internet...

>> No.2294884

>>2294863
But Tolkien wrote the lord of the rings when he was in his 40s, had a doctorate, was already a respected academic in the field of early English literature? He had served in the military during the first world war. He was a father. He was an matured, fully realized adult human.

>> No.2294885

>>2294851
>an adult, a more mature writer
There are plenty of adults who write bad books.

>juvenile power fantasies
As opposed to adult fantasies of spreading some stupid political, religious, or social view? In almost every story, the author willingly or inadvertently writes about themselves.

>> No.2294887

>>2294885
>There are plenty of adults who write bad books.
And there are no teenagers who write good ones!

>> No.2294891

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2006/04/27/10-things-teenage-writers-should-know-about-writing/

>> No.2294893

>>2294884
>He was an matured, fully realized adult human.
Maybe some part of him never grew up. He was still a kid at heart.

>> No.2294892

>>2294883
This discussion is getting fairly offhand OP, but you seem alright. Got AIM or MSN??

>> No.2294900

Is anyone in this thread even a teenager..?

>> No.2294910

It's weird to think about how you grow as a writer. I'm just starting to get out of my teenage years (first year of college) and I'm already cringing at essays I wrote for highschool—essays which I had been incredibly proud of when I wrote them, and ones I had received quite good grades for.

When I'm perceiving this much much of a difference just a couple years removed from the time of writing, I can barely fathom how bad those efforts are going to seem a decade or more from now.

>> No.2294915

if you dont look like G.RR.M then you will fail! big time fail!

>> No.2294922

>>2294187

Well, first off you need to either grow a beard or convert to mormonism.

>> No.2294933

>>2294510
>using TV Tropes as something to help with writing

Please tell me you're trolling.

>> No.2294935

>>2294933
>So /lit/, tell me what to avoid.

>> No.2294941

>>2294884

Look alright, just don't mess with Tolkein...he is a kind soul and does not deserve to be strung by his briefs.

The ghost of Tolkein will be whispering in your ear tonight, as you sleep.
"Don't...oppress...me"

>> No.2295184

>>2294488

>No, John. You are the wizards.

I lost it there