[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 43 KB, 453x604, 1293016772713.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2294055 No.2294055 [Reply] [Original]

Can someone explain to me what Modernism and Postmodernism mean? I've read the wikipedia articles but I still don't understand it

>> No.2294076

modernism is like" fuck yeah, rationalism!"
postmodernism is like "this sucks"

>> No.2294082

Modernism is a movement based on a rejection of traditions by doing stuff in completely different ways. Ulysses or To the Lighthouse are examples of modernism in literature.

Post-Moderism, like any other post-x, is a reaction to that.

>> No.2294114

its called neomodernism

modernism - work to make it new
neomodernism - nothing is new, play with the old

>> No.2294123

modernism is often highly symbolic; it relies on the structural complexity of the work to provide meaning to a text.

postmodernism suggests that this structural complexity is scurrilous— there's a heavy paranoia about the human mind's tendency to impose structure onto a text

>> No.2294138

postmodernism is the intellectual equivalent of being a hipster. everything trendy is bad and should be scorned.

>> No.2294179

Modernism is the paragon of literary achievement. Often focusing on the individual in relation to religious, political, and social institutions, modernism relies heavily on symbolism. Modernism stresses individualism. Usually intelligent men read modernist literature.

Good examples of modernist writers include: Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck, James Joyce, Ezra Pound, William Faulkner, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and Marcel Proust.

Postmodernism is an absolute bastardization of literature and has no artistic merit whatsoever. Postmodernism relies heavily on absurdity, irony, and snide, "clever" humor. Postmodernism appeals to edgy 16 year old children, hipsters, and pseudo-intellectuals.

Good examples of postmodernist writers include such abominations as: Tao Lin, Bret Easton Ellis, Tao Lin, Chuck Palahniuk, and Tao Lin.

>> No.2294185

whats coming after post-modern lit ?

>> No.2294191

>>2294179
lol those examples for postmodern were gross.
use pynchon and gaddis u biased slut

>> No.2294192

>>2294185
Technomodernism.

It is essentially postmodernism told in a greentext format.

>> No.2294199

>>2294192

We can only dream!

>> No.2294206

>>2294179
>relies heavily on absurdity, irony, and snide, "clever" humor
So Catch-22 is for hipsters?

>> No.2294215

>>2294192
Am I the only one who actually takes this seriously or are you for real too? I think greentext and similar will shape future literature.

>> No.2294222

>>2294215
>Am I the only one who actually takes this seriously or are you for real too? I think greentext and similar will shape future literature.

I was the guy who asked the question and I took that answer seriously.

>> No.2294224
File: 108 KB, 640x502, 1324882846601.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

None of you understand anything.

Sorry to inform you.

>> No.2294232

Modernism
a style or movement in the arts that aims to break with classical and traditional forms.

Postmodernism
a late-20th-century style and concept in the arts, architecture, and criticism that represents a departure from modernism and has at its heart a general distrust of grand theories and ideologies as well as a problematical relationship with any notion of “art.”
Typical features include a deliberate mixing of different artistic styles and media, the self-conscious use of earlier styles and conventions, and often the incorporation of images relating to the consumerism and mass communication of late-20th-century postindustrial society. Postmodernist architecture was pioneered by Robert Venturi; the AT&T skyscraper in New York (completed in 1984) is a prime example of the style. Influential literary critics include Jean Baudrillard and Jean-François Lyotard.

>> No.2294250

>>2294224
that's okay, at least I know that I know nothing now.

>> No.2294253

>>2294232
This man didn't do a bad job in my opinion.

>> No.2294262

>>2294215
I was a bit facetious, but I think that the greentext format could serve as an alternate, if not better vehicle for literary narrative.

I always liked greentext. It really lays out the action for you and it's to the point. I'd say that the biggest disadvantage is that the stark minimalism of greentext doesn't allow for long narrative and it cuts out a lot of literary devices, like symbolism, and detail. It does bring a lot more to the table when it comes to stream of consciousness and first-person narrative.

>> No.2294283

>>2294179
okay we get it. You don't like the postmodern. But it's more than just trying to be clever. the whole point is that it's not being edgy. it's not offering a challenge to traditional schools of thought but simply messing around, fidgeting and experimenting with different combinations of ideas just to see how it looks.

>> No.2294298

Postmodern is really what should have come immediately after Nietzsche but instead we got this digression into rationality.

>> No.2294303

>>2294262

>implying it cuts out a lot of literary devices, like symbolism, and detail.

>Go to Gamestop to pre-order Skyrim.
>Go up to the counter, waiting behind a large black woman and her young son.
>The boy looks up at me, his eyes fixated on the stains upon my sweatshirt.
>He smirks, his black kid smugness visible upon his lips.
>I attempt to look away, my eyes beginning to water and my neck beginning to sweat.
>The woman is obviously having an issue returning a game.
>Begin to shake due to being in public for so long without my medication on hand.
>Only thought I'd be out for 10 minutes.
>The black boy tugs on my pants, pulling them down in one fluid motion.
>My brown stained underpants become clearly visible to all within the store.
>My spaghetti falls from my pockets, slapping down on the floor in front of the boy.
>"This nigga dropped his spaghetti," he guffawed, his eyes holding back tears from laughter.
>The black woman mocks me, showing me her spaghetti which is perfectly safe within her purse.
>I burst into treats.
>I attempt to crawl out of the store, pants around my ankles.
>My belt gets caught in the sliding door.
>I shit myself due to exhaustion, from my lack of medication.
>The front of the Gamestop now resembles a mudslide with one victim.
>The beautiful, naked women in the parking lot laugh at me while masturbating.
>Barely make it to my mom's car before her hair appointment was over.

>> No.2294310
File: 109 KB, 754x1158, 1324545321668.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2294179
>>2294283

Would you believe that you're both idiots who don't understand "art"?

The post-modern movement defies such narrow definitions. You both disappoint me.

>> No.2294586

>>2294310
bump

>> No.2294618

>>2294303
This can never work.

You already lost my interest when you started going into descriptions that weren't necessary to the story. Greentext is strictly plot driven.