[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 174 KB, 800x1214, 800px-James_Joyce_by_Alex_Ehrenzweig,_1915_cropped[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22931203 No.22931203 [Reply] [Original]

>publish schizophrenic ramblings
>people read it and make meaning from it and call it deep
>considered genius

why are so many books like this?

>> No.22931232

>>22931203
>find an author that many people say is intelligent and hard to understand
>can't understand it
>instead of acknowleding their own shortcomings, complain about it not having any real meaning and being both schizophrenic and bad online

why are so many /lit/ards like this?

>> No.22931250

Ulysses is hardly schizophrenic
It's a book of word games
Play them, they're fun

>> No.22931746
File: 50 KB, 570x443, jj-guitar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just found out Joyce's guitar is still alive and kicking, occasionally used for concerts.

https://youtu.be/b0vV7bDjiWM

Also, OP is a fag.

>> No.22931754

James Joyce was an occultist

>> No.22931756

no one noraposts any more, this board really has gone to shit.

>> No.22931764

>>22931756
No one appreciates a good fart these days

>> No.22931772

>>22931764
It's relaxing, I don't see how all the performative outrage is funny so I find most anons utterly humorless, they're too uptight to fart or someone might actually laugh or feel better.

>> No.22931782

>>22931203
reading Finnegans Wake feels like wearing some random guy's dirty underwear

>> No.22932283

>>22931782
You're not wrong. I've been reading the first couple chapters and there's constant vague sexual shit in there and I think part of the 'dream' revolves around HCE getting caught jerking off or pissing or doing some other deviant thing with his dick (or shitting) in public and then he gets put on trial for it. Joyce had plenty of his own deviant sexual shit going on so I wouldn't be surprised at all if he had dreams like this irl that served as an inspiration for that aspect of the book. It's not farts but I also have a weird fetish and I've had dreams like that of being suddenly exposed to everyone and everyone thinks I'm a freak, and I'm trying to absolve myself. Ulysses got a lot of negative attention at the time for being obscene but from what I've read I think it's pretty G-rated compared to FW. The latter just didn't get the same level of scrutiny because no one was reading that shit anyway.

>> No.22932435

Try “Lacan Reading Joyce”

This book discusses Jacques Lacan’s contribution to understanding the life and work of James Joyce, introducing Colette Soler’s influential reading to English readers for the first time. Focusing on Lacan’s famous Seminar on Joyce, the reader will no doubt learn much from Lacan, but also, as Soler shows, what Lacan learned from Joyce and what perhaps, without him, he would not have approached with so much confidence.

Le Sinthome. This is the title Jacques Lacan chose for his seminar devoted to Joyce in 1975–76. He wrote the word 'sinthome' in its original spelling, from the Greek, and thus used the technique so dear to Joyce: the equivocation between the sound that is heard and the graphic representation that is seen. Is it surprising that the author who recognised in 1956 with 'The Agency of the Letter in the Unconscious' that the Freudian practice of speech revealed an unconscious that writes – something Jacques Derrida found quite remarkable – would end in 1975–76 with Joyce?

Lacan Reading Joyce will be of great interest to professional and academic readers in the respective fields of Lacan and Joyce studies, including psychoanalysts in practice and training, as well as researchers and students in psychoanalytic and modern literary studies.