[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 174 KB, 1600x991, Nietzsche-thug-life-545620878.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22920904 No.22920904 [Reply] [Original]

Happy Sunday! It wouldn't be /Lit/ without a proper Nietzsche thread in the catalogue, and yes, I was too lazy to check the whole catalogue so if there is already one up this is another one which is pretty much the /Lit/ modus operandi. Decided to throw an aphorism from Daybreak out there but any and all pertinent posts are welcome and appreciated, and even some of the usual Nietzsche jokes that get thrown around on here.

>At the crossroads. - Disgusting! You want to be a part of a system in which one must either be a wheel and nothing else, or get run over by the other wheels! In which it goes without saying that everyone is what he has been made by decree from above! In which no one feels insulted if a man is drawn to his attention with the words 'he could be of use to you some day'! In which one is not ashamed to visit somebody in order to obtain his recommendation! In which one has not the faintest idea how with this easy conformity to such customs one has designated oneself a common piece of nature's pottery which others may use and smash without feeling very much compunction about it; as if one said: 'there will never be a shortage of things like me: take me! Don't stand on ceremony! Aphorism 166 Daybreak

I don't see as many Daybreak references as other works and think it is criminally under-read in relation to other works from Nietzsche.

>> No.22920920

>>22920904
I love Nietzsche but his threads are complete shit shows here so I avoid them outside of comments like what I’m about to say. Never have I seen a writer where a fan will completely try to assimilate his cryptic writings to their own beliefs. You can like a writer and not agree with everything they say. There seems no in between with Nietzsche here, either one hates him completely, or one loves him completely. Too many anons try to adapt themselves 100% to him instead of taking the spirit of what he wrote about

>> No.22920993

>>22920920
I would generally agree with much of what you have said. I tend to enjoy his early and intermediate works more than his later works and unless logic dictates something for purposes of an argument don't take everything he said to be the end all be all. I also tend to view his early spirit to be optimistic overall which I enjoy.

>> No.22921008

>>22920904
Man whose philosophy boils down to power as use criticizes power as use to demonstrate criticism as power as use as both dependent on and independent of content to demonstrate the abstracted author is an authority on philosophy. Spurious, at best, but his optimism for philosophy is indeed to be admired.

>> No.22921027

>>22920904
“Creating your own values” is a luciferian ideology that will cause misery to you and everyone around you. God isn’t dead as long as the Western spirit isn’t dead. Repent!

>> No.22921033
File: 125 KB, 634x659, 157.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>words words words
>that's why i'm SUPERMAN and you're UNDERMAN

>> No.22921153

>>22921008
Will to Power has to be good for something but I'm a bigger fan of smashing things with hammers admittedly.

>>22921027
God never existed and neither did Lucifer. I will however accept Kantian notions of intuitive a priori agreed upon definitions of morality though since this does sort of fit in with the whole revaluation of values motif.

>>22921033
The Nietzsche s0ijack, classic, I did go will to power on some leftover scalloped potatoes earlier though, I had no regard for the potatoes that lost their lives to be part of my meal.

>> No.22921294

>>22921153
You could actually address my explanation, for hammers can be used for more than smashing (talk about freedom!), as the claim that will to power is good for something is as baseless as your justification for accepting Kant’s garbage philosophy of right, which even Nietzsche despised.

>> No.22921334

>>22921294
Your comment on power as use is already tautological by nature, I'm not sure how much more commentary was needed, but if you like I will provide a commentary. So if you have power, then the power as use to convey your own morality is already a byproduct of the power, the authority is derived from the power, not the morality itself. If a contender to this existing paradigm wishes to become the holder of power then there need not be a reason to destroy the base over which the power has dominion since that would eliminate the use of the process itself. To usurp this status the would be contender is apt to demonstrate a better power as use, or if better is not to your liking, then a demonstrated power as use philosophy that the constituents of the existing architecture will recognize as more legitimate, and thus the contender is now the actual power as use holder. The entire process is spurious and tenuous, a revaluation of values is almost always needed and effected regardless. Hence the comment is tautological by nature in my mind.

>> No.22921550
File: 272 KB, 3636x1916, bb2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Nietzsche ironically became a cult-leader for broken men on the internet, a self-help guru, a con-messiah, a prophet to worship and a voice for all contrarians and trolls. Kek, he would tripped himself in the grave if he knew what was happening to his image.

What a reputation to leave behind. Truly a sad case. Poor Nietzsche.

>> No.22921551

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ2ZC2n63Aw

>> No.22921624
File: 14 KB, 236x289, 8388f72706cf7371fd03dafb69b26a73--memes-2370250802.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22921550
We can't all be masters and ubermensch but at least Nietzsche gives you a blueprint and praises the nobility of the herd animal as well. Interestingly enough, I actually tend to favor Baudrillard's fusion of Nietzsche's and Marx's master/slave dichotomy, it removes some of Nietzsche's more obtuse language and updates it with Marx's more economic minded language and also casts the Artisan as an Ubermensch like figure which I honestly tend to believe is more applicable to people.

>> No.22921634

>>22921334
Actual power cannot be so. Suppose the essence of power is use. Its essence then itself demonstrates power. But this power must also lack correspondence with power as use for the latter’s essence to uphold the power to manifest (or, namely, to constitute “will to power”), including that which enforces the essence of power as use in the first place. Hegel and Marx to varying degrees get this right.

>>22921550
Sad but true.

>> No.22921694

>>22921634
This is still tautological, and I'm not opposed to viewing it through a Hegelian/Marxist tint per se, since that lense is more conducive to the totality whereas Nietzsche was mostly just concerned with it at an existential level. We also have to define the point at which we separate Marx since some of his interpretations will cause this to skew towards a proverbial scenario where we are looking for something we lost only where there is a convenient light handy. So if you take the powerful epoch associated with Hegel then you are acknowledging a socially recognized being, and one in which has actualized themselves accordingly to the phenomenal nature of use, we could even go so far as to say possesses Geist at a level in which their action cannot be taken to be self-refuting unless it violates an intrinsic logical parameter. This would be a manifest of sorts since Hegel ascribes this to being a fusion of the state and its constituent elements, or a being acting with the capacity of said entity, or at least until a more powerful Geist infused being comes along subordinates the first. This would almost in my mind be a more holistic approach to some of what Nietzsche was saying, I doubt he would care about Geist but he would have a much more individual take on it. Both paradigms rely on social recognition, even if Nietzsche doesn't go to as much effort to detail it, in Nietzsche's mind this would probably be seen as a superfluous addition. At any given level the being in question is almost entirely an agent of use from a strictly power perspective, which I don't think I was arguing against. Marx complicates this though since there is now an endpoint of philosophical derivation whereas previously we were talking about what more or less would be eternal recurrence with Nietzsche and the highest tier of Geist which could be extrapolated to mean world domination at extrema.