[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 66 KB, 512x628, Lovecraft.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22814796 No.22814796 [Reply] [Original]

>raining heavily outside
>strong wind blowing

What Lovecraft story should I read to really make the most of this cozy evening?

>> No.22814803

>>22814796
Sounds cozy! It's raining here too. Read Pickman's Model!

>> No.22814812

>>22814803
Hope you're warm and cozy bro. Thanks for the rec.

>> No.22814815

>>22814796
The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath

>> No.22816060

/// These Cretan institutions were much extolled by some writers of antiquity, but receive only qualified praise from the judicious criticisms of Aristotle /// The game took an unexpected turn after the first quarter when an opossum scampered onto the field /// He was taken to Havana, and died by garrote in the little fortress La Punta /// I'd love to come to Hawaii with you, but I'm a little strapped /// Expect a breeze to allay the heat /// We decided to brave the elements and go for a walk /// He used his speech to sound a clarion call for affordable health care /// That is the fundamental perversity of dog whistle politics, whereby political parties send coded messages that will be heard one way by their core supporters and another way altogether by others /// The sound of the telephone was drowned out by the vacuum cleaner /// That's the spot where Sara and I used to while away the hours between lectures /// She scrawled her signature on the receipt /// The car pulled up too fast and skidded on the dusty shoulder of the road /// They were in constant contact, conferring about every aspect of the construction project /// How are we ever going to scrape enough people up to form a team by this weekend? /// You can count on him to ham it up for the camera /// The fat man loudly prattled unctuous apologies /// Some respondents who renewed contact with children or siblings had positive responses, but others were rebuffed /// Everything seemed to go wrong. For one, we had a flat tire /// Retailers are moving into high gear as the holiday season approaches /// She wrote several vignettes of small-town life /// Market sentiment can turn on a dime /// Symptoms include a wobbly gait, stumbling or a droopy lip /// We could hear the puppy yipping playfully in its kennel /// Prolonged use of alcohol also leads to cross-tolerance to other drugs, for example the barbiturates, so that the effectiveness of these compounds is reduced /// I came home laden with cardboard boxes /// Ability and hard work cinched her success /// The cybercriminals are wily, and every time one internet portal closes, another opens /// But still he did not remain indifferent to a sincere feeling of love and respect and always distinguished it from idle and fulsome tittle-tattle /// All that bile, all the exaggeration, all the stuff that was not grounded in fact just kind of bubbled up, started surfacing /// Calvert was a pudgy older guy who wore thick horn-rimmed glasses and personified the lovable nebbish /// On a typical visit, we arrive with our group late morning, and spend 15 minutes in the parking lot on a sarong-tying lesson /// The grander the occasion, the larger the width of the hoop petticoat /// The vessel was repaired and scheduled to set sail again later in the month /// When the facts seemed cut and dried, why would the authorities be hesitant to release information? ///

>> No.22816067

>>22814796
Maybe The Shadow over Innsmouth cause its weird seaside town setting goes well with rain and wind. Or At The Mountains of Madness because of that weird wind-like piping in the mountains. If you want something more literally set in rain, from what I recall The Lurking Fear has a lot of rain in it, but it's not a very well-written story.

>> No.22816121
File: 213 KB, 1920x1200, wp3008883.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The Picture in the House for sure, though it's extremely short. If you want something a bit longer I'd maybe go with Call of Cthulhu. Since it's a dark detective story (mainly), it would probably add to the comfy atmosphere you're bringing up.

>> No.22816594

Lovecraft in all of his other stories:
>The unwholesome, stygian cast of the man's complexion suggested adulteration by an Arab or even Sicilian antecedent.

Lovecraft in the Dream Cycle:
>In the westermost land of Oo, across the phosphorescent river Trong, dwell the Fleebs. They are a kindly folk, having iridescent purple skin and eleven arms. In the time of Bnag they raised eleven towers of purest sapphire and alabaster, and dwelt therein. They are ruled by a wise prince named Reference to One of My Short Stories, who knew Randolph Carter in the waking world. Also they love cats.

>> No.22816988 [DELETED] 

bump

>> No.22816994

>>22814796
The Street

>> No.22816999

>>22814796
Read his classic work "sex terrifies me and I hate black people bc they're sexuality scares me, IM the normal one tho"
Fuckin guy was a freak