[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 33 KB, 600x600, st,extra_large,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8 (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22813868 No.22813868 [Reply] [Original]

Do you guys have any favorite audiobooks?
I need something to listen to at work, genre or whatever doesn't really matter, I just need something other than podcasts and music.

>> No.22813940

The Bible in audiobook form is essential. You need the text also, but
like all ancient literature it's got an oral tradition, and it's meant to be recited in church/temple/etc.

Moby Dick is surprisingly good as an audiobook - I have William Hootkins reading, and he's a bit of a ham in places, but he does bring out a lot of humor in the book which I somehow missed. I am and always was a Moby Dick fan, so I would probably like anything, but this added to my appreciation of the story. A good reader, or sometimes just an unusual reader, can open up the text for you.

Go for classics, and make sure the reader isn't a dumbass and his voice is good. Dickens sounds good aloud, and this tends to be true of older writers. Fiction, biography, or narrative histories are good, philosophy can work for good writers (Plato, Kierkegaard sort of, Nietzsche, etc) but it's hard to find a reader who knows enough to not make a mess of it. Anything technical at all needs to be text. Sometimes authors reading their own book is good, because they understand it, and sometimes it's bad, because they have a weedy wordcel voice.

The thing about audiobooks is they can be great or they can be awful, and you sort of have to try it out and see what works.

>> No.22814268

>>22813940
Moby Dick sounds good, I like water stuff.
I tried The Iliad but it was too complicated, I lose focus for one second and there's 5 new weird names I've missed and I gave up after rewinding too many times.

>> No.22814311

>>22813868
Librivox count of monte cristo read by david clarke. Dude did all the accents and everything it’s pretty great and its on youtube.

>> No.22814762

Elliot rodger my twisted world as read by mumkey jones

>> No.22814858

>>22813868
the jim weiss narration of Catch 22