[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 772 KB, 2500x3078, Johann_Sebastian_Bach.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22783627 No.22783627 [Reply] [Original]

What is the Well-Tempered Clavier of literature? The famous collection of preludes and fugues, which is the essence of keyboard repertoire and a marker for composers in understanding the complex relationship between creative freedom and formal craftsmanship. Despite its didactic purpose, it embodies an insight into the deepest metaphysical dimensions of Bach's music. So, what would be the literary equivalent?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L6X14mfCeY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGJeqmbRtUQ

>> No.22783832

The Odyssey maybe?

>> No.22783840

>>22783627
the Bible or possibly my diary.

wtc is great. my favorite is probably goldberg variations for solo keyboard stuff. then wtc, then preludes partitas and fugues.

>> No.22783847

>>22783840
Everything Bach did is pure kino. He was a real blessing.

>> No.22783850

>>22783627
l think your question is too vague. In what sense similar to the WTC? Some call the WTC the Old Testament of Keyboard pieces due to its impact and relevance in modern playing and learning, while standing as a hallmark for the baroque style
Are you asking for a book with a similar impact on the western canon? A book that stands as a picture of the time and style it was written?

>> No.22783859

>>22783847
The more music I hear from Bach the more I am convinced that only religious individuals can do beautiful art. They are deeply in touch with their spiritual and emotional self which is reflected in their works.
I'm not saying that atheists can't do music, but... seeing the state of modern "classical music", you might be inclined to think like that as well. Bach is just incomparable. I'm currently hearing his Art of Fugue as I am scrolling /lit/ knowing full well some of his composition techniques are literally beyond my understanding.

>> No.22783870

>>22783850
My question is vague on purpose. I'll be glad to read through the replies and the different interpretations /lit/ goes for.

>> No.22783928

>>22783870
Well, in terms of impact in society, I would dare say Don Quixote is an equivalent. It might sound a bit odd but bear with me
Just like the Well Tempered Clavier it was very groundbreaking for its time for several reasons
>Arguably the first satirical novel, making copious meta-commentary of the Knight Errant novels it is mocking. Other satirical works mocked a concept, not a style.
>The first comedic duo (Straight man, Funny Man)
>One of the first novels, before the term novel existed too
While it may not have been the first one to do so, It is the one that stands the strongest as an influence in these aspects, same as the WTC. Perhaps it was not the first work made with such a didactic intention, yet it remains as THE work for keyboard

Curiously enough, both were also made in 2 parts, and the silhouette of a knight with a long lance and glorious moustache is as recognizable as the Prelude in C major, even to people who haven't read/listened either

>> No.22783934

>>22783627
the plays of the 17th Earl of Oxford

>> No.22784732

>>22783847
Some works are a little too "I wrote this for my employer, the prince, and his gay little gatherings" for me, like the orchestral suites. It's still very good music, but I prefer what he wrote for himself, usually for one instrument (WTC, Art of Fugue, cello suites), or for his other type of employer, the church (cantatas, St Matthew Passion, Mass in B minor).