[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 96 KB, 1134x997, FSKMpMGWYAA4wBw.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22751560 No.22751560 [Reply] [Original]

Started a new job in a county local government job. Last 5 jobs I've had have max 2 people and were private side. I'm not antisocial or autistic, but I'm struggling working with other people in a department of 20, trying to get projects done that lay half finished by previous employees.

Does anyone have any actually good recommendations that aren't just 7 habits or how to win friends? I need to learn how to manage, motivate, and convince other people to their job. Half of them don't even know what projects are going on. Management. Project management. Bureaucracy. Fucking anything. This department is supposed to actually help people and if it was up to par, it would be.

>> No.22751575

>>22751560

>having had five previous jobs
>odd question about "max two people" (to interact with in meaningful ways)
>worried about interacting with 20-ish people, a normal human group

None of this makes any sense. Which sounds about right for a government job. OP, it sounds to me like your problem is less the social thing (although you're being very weird about this) than in the transition from the private sector to the parasiti-er, public sector. I hope you don't have to deal with uppity fat black women, who like to insert themselves into the parasitic class.

>> No.22751582

>>22751575
I guess sometimes providing what I think is pertinent context on an anonymous imageboard without giving too much information away can lead to absurd results like this. I came from small law firms and due to a series of events and skills I've developed I'm in a place to assist with this particular government department.

>> No.22751595

>>22751582

>skills I've developed (over a long career)
But can you issue a credible threat to kill the men who kidnapped your daughter?

>> No.22751603

>>22751582
Nigga thinks he in a interview!

>> No.22751630

>>22751560
>Started a new job in a county local government job. Last 5 jobs I've had have max 2 people and were private side. I'm not antisocial or autistic, but I'm struggling working with other people in a department of 20, trying to get projects done that lay half finished by previous employees.
>Does anyone have any actually good recommendations that aren't just 7 habits or how to win friends? I need to learn how to manage, motivate, and convince other people to their job. Half of them don't even know what projects are going on. Management. Project management. Bureaucracy. Fucking anything. This department is supposed to actually help people and if it was up to par, it would be.
If they sic a bunch of unmanageable projects on you and expect you to do the heavy lifting, I've got some bad news for you. Unless you volunteer for this task, this is a backdoor way of getting rid of you. They will fuck you over and when you inevitably screw up take the opportunity to fire you.

>> No.22751642

>>22751630
>>22751603
>>22751595
Really loving these book recs. Thanks /lit/.

>> No.22751668

>>22751642
you don't want a book rec

>> No.22751673

>>22751668
I do want a book rec. Fucking scrum or agile or whatever. It is a known unknown.

>> No.22752097

>>22751673
Sounds like you already know what to read.

>> No.22752186

>>22751560
I found that the public sector was much better about rapidly raising good people upwards in leadership but also terrible about pruning bas preformers. Thus, it was sort of a mix. I had better bosses in the public sector, more dedicated despite being paid much less, definitely more interested developing those under them. But then also more people who were just clocking in.

But this is also probably a difference between between tiny workplace versus large. I found local work pretty interesting. Way more variety than when I worked for the Feds, although work at State was more interesting and that was a good team.

Your chart doesn't mean much if you don't also have a comparison of what share administrators make of a school. I mean, of the average school only had 1 admin in 2000 and they have 2 today because of grants, reporting, etc. that would still show up as a 100% increase.

Admin can sort of be justified in that having a single person do all the financial planning can actually lead to all sorts of waste.

The university level has far more acute problems. They create their own clinics, their own police forces, etc. They basically run a parallel local government. No wonder its so expensive. Why can't students, who are adults, to to regular doctors and be arrested by regular police?

>> No.22752501

John Maxwell has stuff on leadership.
Harvard Business Review
Chris Cooper- Founder,Farmer,Thinker ,Thief might help you with some systems and other recommendations.