[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 33 KB, 750x672, Untitled 4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22746621 No.22746621 [Reply] [Original]

Dear anons, Please forgive the blog post. I have been a loyal poster on this board for a long time.
I am really struggling. A lot of chaotic shit has blown up my life recently due to family events. I'm doing my best to push through and navigate this situation and help my loved ones out of it. However, I feel like I am using up all of my brain power every day to navigate this situation, so when I have time to read (like taking a shit on the toilet, or before going to sleep) I have trouble enjoying whatever book I am reading.I just finished reading Elon Musk's biography by Walter Isaacson and really enjoyed it. But I have been attempting to read more literature, but none of it holds my attention. For example, I was trying to read Bleak House by Charles Dickenson, and I found it very beautifully written but extremely boring. Before that, I got about half way through Houllebecq's Possibility of an Island but just got sick of pushing through it. It feels like my life is already such a mess I can't get pleasure from reading something about someone depressed about things they're making up in their head. In the past, I have really enjoyed the book Stoner by John Williams, and Cormac McCarthy's ouevre. I didn't like Butcher's Crossing, so don't recommend that.
I can't decide what type of book I'm looking for. I am torn between asking for something that I can escape into, and something that will be perscriptive and give me strength during these tough times (don't recommend The Bible, either. I'm already reading it and finding it tiring probably because i'm already familiar with it). I'm open to recommendations of all types, whether it's philosophy, nonfiction, self help, or fiction. I don't want to eliminate any option. I will try to boil down what i'm looking for into an easier to read criteria:
>something beautiful
>something that will hook me immediately
>something that will allow me to momentarily forget my problems, but will actually help me to deal with them either by lending me strength, inspiration, or practical advice
Thank you.

>> No.22746628

Don Quixote, maybe

>> No.22746641

>>22746621
Reverend Insanity

>> No.22746696

John dies at the end

>> No.22746780

>>22746621
On occasion when I've been very depressed I've found it helpful to read really bleak stuff, like Shalamov's Kolyma Tales. The point being, you realize that things could be a lot worse.

On the other hand, for comfy escapism when you're emotionally and/or physically exhausted so you don't want to expend a lot of effort, then:

— Sherlock Holmes (Many people have recommended this.)

— Damon Runyon (Comfy comic takes about gangsters in Prohibition. I keep shilling him but no-one seems to read him these days.)

— P. G. Wodehouse (Basically it has nothing at all to do with the real world, so it's unlikely to remind you of any real-world problems.)

You could also try an historical novel. A story set in a very remote world might work like P. G. Wodehouse, and help you get away from this one. Try I, Claudius, or something like that. Something that's quite easy going.

Westerns can do the same trick. Lonesome Dove isn't bad. It's not the same quality as Cormac McCarthy but it's quite readable. It's certainly comfier than Butcher's Crossing.

>> No.22747655
File: 67 KB, 1500x400, blog.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22746621