[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 97 KB, 800x964, joyce.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22717413 No.22717413 [Reply] [Original]

>James Joyce's interest in the "strong enchanter" [Nietzsche], whose work he discovered in 1903, remained superficial.
>As Richard Ellmann has written, "it was probably upon Nietzsche that Joyce drew when he expounded to his friends [in 1903/4] a neo-paganism that glorified selfishness, licentiousness, and pitilessness, and denounced gratitude and other 'domestic virtues'".
>Nietzsche was in fact the prophet of the neo-pagan cult practised half-seriously by James Joyce and Oliver St John Gogarty in the Martello Tower at Sandycove in 1904 - until, that is, Joyce was frightened off by a third member of the group (Samuel Chenevix Trench) firing a revolver at an imaginary black panther in the middle of the night!
>This incident made Joyce decide that there was something to be said for the 'domestic virtues' after all; he certainly showed a most un-Zarathustrian alarm.
>In the long run, certainly, Joyce's interests and sympathies were contrary to any sustained interest in Nietzsche, and only relatively unimportant echoes of Nietzsche are found is his work; but in 1903/4, when he was rather in the doldrums, he found it satisfying to think of himself as a Nietzschean Superman, "James Overman" as he ironically styled himself.
>Ten years later, however, Joyce was arguing against Schopenhauer and Nietzsche in favour of Thomas Aquinas; Nietzsche had been little more than a passing whim.
How has your favorite writer been influenced by philosophy, /lit/?

>> No.22717607

>>22717413
was he even a catholic?

>> No.22717618

>>22717413
Joyce was a lifelong Wagnerian no matter what he said.

>> No.22717649

>>22717413
Everything I read about Joyce makes him sound like a total homo.

>> No.22719346

>>22717649
you could have gotten this from one chapter of his books

>> No.22719410

Really interesting read, I’ve read Joyce’s three major works (Dubliners, Portrait, Ulysses) almost out of the adolescent pretentiousness just to be able to say I had, but genuinely enjoyed them so much I’m on a reread of Ulysses now. For all this, I never got as much into the “Joyceana” of JJ’s own life (as it seems to be there, in fictional form, in Portrait and Ulysses). This biographical bit is exactly what’s in the first three chapters with Stephen, Buck Mulligan (clearly based after Oliver St. John Gogarty), and Haines. Mulligan’s cry of “Kinch and I! The toothless Uebermenschen!” or something like that was pretty funny to me at the time.

>>22717649
Alas, that’s the necessity of being someone interested in the arts and literature. See, even I talk like a faggot.

>> No.22719551

>>22717413
Is it true that he wore the eyepatch because he got an infection from Nora farting in his eye?

>> No.22719560
File: 5 KB, 300x168, Untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22719551
TELL ME ABOUT JOYCE!
WHY DOES HE WEAR THE EYEPATCH?