[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 211 KB, 830x506, Tolstoy-List-Main.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22710016 No.22710016 [Reply] [Original]

What is your policy for rereading books?

I've realised that I usually only reread either short stories books that fall under the category of 'light reading'

Thinking back, Anna Karenina and War and Peace were the only full length, serious novels I've read more than once.

>> No.22710030

>>22710016
If I feel like reading a book again then I do

>> No.22710032

>>22710016
you will never figure out how you died? here is
>whoa gooooootta read this
>is this me?
>viewer/reader status

>> No.22710088

I've never wanted to reread a book.

>> No.22710128
File: 61 KB, 1024x1024, coffee logo 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When I find a book that I think can really expand my understanding of some topic I'm interested I read it three times.

1. I read the front and back covers, the table of contents, the introduction and any prefaces/acknowledgements, the author bio at the back, and then I skim the first few paragraphs of each chapter. I do this every time I read any book (except the skimming when I read fiction). This is where I decide a more thorough read will be worthwhile, and reading #3 will likely be in order.

2. I read the book quickly from front to back, not putting much thought into it, just absorbing the information naturally. This is where my normal reading ends, if I'm still interested I continue on. Often this 2nd reading is the maximum for non-fiction books, like scif-fi/fantasy stories.

3. I read the book slowly and thoroughly, taking notes the whole time. Most of my books are from the library so I can't make marginal notes or highlights, but I do with books I personally own. I might split my notes up into several parts. For example, I recently took notes on 'poetry in english: an introduction'. I split my notes up into 3 sections: types of poetry (in which I describe each type of poetry mentioned in the book), book overview (which surveyed the most important parts of the book, from front to back, and chronology of English poetry (which surveys the centuries covered in the book, the most influential poets and poems of that century, and the general trends in the art form as time progressed). The goal is to organize and cement the information the book has given me, so I have a rock solid overview of everything communicated.

---------------------
4. SOMETIMES, a book or series of books captures my interest (for example, I'm very interested in medieval history), so I will write essays on them, or a book review if it's a singular book. For multiples, I take my notes from each book and write an essay unifying them, giving myself a more thorough understanding of the whole. That doesn't really count as a re-reading of a book though, just thought I'd mention it.

>> No.22710186

>>22710016
I feel like I might want to start re-reading books after like 20 years have passed. Top of my list would be War and Peace. I think if enough time passes it'll be like reading it for the first time again.

>> No.22710187

>>22710016
I don't have policies for reading books, I read what seems engaging to me in the moment. This seems like an exhausting way to live lol

>> No.22710193

>>22710016
I reread books when I want to pull certain vocabulary from it.

>> No.22710484

>>22710016
>What is your policy for rereading books?
simply if i feel like it. i don't see why it has to be more complicated than that. i felt like rereading brothers karamazov again recently. for no reason, really. i don't think i will glean anything new, nor do i really have any other specific reason. just simply want to read it again.

>> No.22710492

>>22710016
If I want to reread it it goes into the reread eventually pile. Read it again when I want to. After reading consistently for like 15 years, half of the stuff I read is rereading

>> No.22710565

>>22710016
If the book has a great plot I'll read it once. If it has great prose I'll read it again. Simple as.

>> No.22710615

told myself i would put-off re reading my favourites until 30, and spend my time exploring till then. unfortunately life happened and im already 29 and haven't read nearly as much as i inteded. not sure what ill do now. for what its worth, its getting harder to find stuff that fits my taste so i might say fuck it and go through with my original plan

>> No.22710630

>>22710016
>he reads short stories