[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 528 KB, 1280x1920, IMG_0922.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22653654 No.22653654 [Reply] [Original]

Who is a writer you like that doesn’t get a lot of mentions here? What do you like about them?

>> No.22653665

Pitrim Sorokin

Metahistorical optimist but not the gay Pinker variety

>> No.22653704

Nicolai Hartmann.
He's probably the last metaphysician that tried to conceive a coherent system of ethics, at least in Germany.

>> No.22653763

>>22653654
Alberto Laiseca
Love his twisted dark sexual fantastic stories. Shame there's no english translations

>> No.22654572

>>22653654
Any non anglo writer pretty much? Not saying that’s strange but that’s your real answer.
Swedish writers of note: August Strindberg, many domestic dramas and describing the high and low of society but without the usual british sensibilities. More raw and pessimistic.
Pär Lagerkvist, wrote Barabbas from the POV of the condemned criminal released instead of Jesus, got turned into a Hollywood movie later, won the Nobel. It’s a story about faith and redemption as you might expect, but with a very uncooperative main character (Barabbas is not a good guy nor a believer).
Knut Hamsun, norwegian writer, a favourite of Hitler. Also very much into social realism. Also Nobel winner. His most famous book is probably hunger (should be called starvation actually).
Astrid Lindgren wrote children’s books as you might know, Pippi Longstocking? But she also wrote some dark fairy tales like Mio, My Son featuring death and suicide.
Tove Jansson’s Moomin tales also have some unusual depth for children’s stories. I think the general theme is that germanic tales are a bit darker than anglo tales and slavic tales are just nightmares. Scandis are depressed and slavs are nihilistic.
Anyway other non anglos? Nikos Kazantzakis? Wrote Last Temptation of Christ and Zorba the Greek, admittedly both became movies also but they’re really good. I think Zorba would interest people here.

Anyway when it comes to world lit the anglosphere choices are usually different. Everyone knows about Dosto but do you know Pushkin? If you ask a russian they don’t give a fuck about Dosto but love Pushkin.

There’s this old prestige book series club I buy used books from called Panache which is interesting because the older you go the more it diverges from the anglosphere choices, the more italian, german, russian writers you get. The last 50 years or so, and 30 in particular really created this samey global culture. Bit of a shame.