[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 14 KB, 200x302, 200px-Hunger_games.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2257473 No.2257473 [Reply] [Original]

This is quite possibly the most terrible book I have ever had the misfortune to read in my entire life. My "friend" recommended it to me because I hadn't read any good books in a while. I can't even describe to you the disgust.There is nothing original about it. At all. I'm pretty certain the "angst-ridden teen in a dystopian society, struggling to survive and bang a blonde kid she has just met" is not a unique concept. Despite this initially, I thought, "Hey. Maybe this will ACTUALLY teach me something as literature should. Perhaps the author has expounded upon the idea of hunger and the acquisition of food, and related to the reader the concept that life is essentially a struggle for survival and success, and officials take advantage of this fact by treating the common man as if he is a pawn in an entertaining game." HOW ABOUT NO. The author made it into an adolescent romance. A ROMANCE. Every chapter attempts to end with suspense, but leaves nothing for the reader's mind to wonder about. Ex. blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah KATNISS FOUND A GUN. SHE TURNED IT OVER. A NAME STARTING WITH P WAS ON THE GUN. Instead of ending the chapter here, it will read: PEETAH'S NAME. WAS ON. THE GUN. Wow such suspense. I'm shaking in my tits. And to conclude the writing was just in general bland and lacking. I HATE THIS BOOK.

tl;dr The Hunger Games can suck my District 13 balls.

>> No.2257477

I know, I know, don't judge a book by its cover, but holy fuck I hate that font. It's so overused for anything sci-fi.

>> No.2257496

hooker sold some books though. there is a whole series. i wasnt really all that impressed, so i didnt finish the trilogy.some folks at a work dinner the other night were talking about them

>> No.2257555
File: 406 KB, 500x625, tumblr_lvgahk05zr1qdctn9o1_r1_500.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How quaint, I just saw the trailer and thought about reading the book. No merit in it at all? I trudged through the first Twilight book and I'm prepared to do it again with this book if only to better be able to critique it.

I have no idea why but I initially confused the hungre series with the beggar series. Go read Beggars in spain btw. Nancy Kress can sure write.

>> No.2257564

Op, what were the last fourbooks you read before hunger games?

>> No.2257580

Read Battle Royale. I've never read it but I hear it's better than Hunger games and some even go to say that Suzanne Collins copied a lot from this book and made it shit.

>> No.2257582

>>2257555
Go ahead and read them. They should take you maybe 2 hours a book to finish. They're that simple. It's worthwhile so as to be caught up. Make sure you pirate them to your Kindle.

>> No.2257584

>>2257580
Even with an English translation that is more than a little iffy at times, yes this book is 1000000x better.