[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 29 KB, 253x393, 2FEDFEA6-2BEF-4877-96DA-9BB348CD69ED.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22533974 No.22533974 [Reply] [Original]

I just finished reading Hyperion and I really enjoyed it. I am trying to decide if I should read the next one; sometimes a sequel leaves a worse impression than not reading it at all.
I enjoyed how hyperion was in of itself a work of art and was beautiful to read. Coming out of the wheel of time it was very different. But I cannot decide about the ending.
The book ends in a cliffhanger, where the reader is left in a great position to ponder the reality of the vivid world that the author created, and to think about the future. But the actual plot of the involved characters is kinda just left hanging.

Basically I can’t tell if the sequel to this book was always planned and intended, or if the author just wrote another one cause this one sold a ton.

>> No.22533995

don't read it
it just keeps on getting worse and worse
don't listen to the copes

>> No.22533998

The sequel is so bad that it kind of ruins the first book, which was really good. However, the sequel is bad in funny enough ways that it's worth reading anyhow.

The 3rd and 4th books are total garbage, but they're tacked-on cashgrabs - the ending of the 2nd book is pretty final.

>> No.22534095

>>22533995
>>22533998
I was suspicious that the author left the plot open ended because he couldn’t make a conclusion he was happy with, and lived up to the rest of the work. I was surprised to find the epilogue when I expected one more chapter.

I will have to think on it, maybe I’ll read the next book in future after I’m done day dreaming about the first. Thanks for your input.
I have some other books in the queue, but If you guys have any recommendations for other (I don’t have a good way to describe it, but “not pulpy”) books like it I would like to hear them.
I love stuff that leaves me sitting in the chair thinking when I’ve finished it.

>> No.22534128

>>22534095
A lot of Wolfe's novels are in the same vein as Hyperion. BotNS is probably the closest in terms of genre, but if you liked Hyperion you'd probably also like Peace as well. You can also read some of Jack Vance's stuff, though it doesn't have the Christian themes and is a bit closer to pulp.

>> No.22534177

sequel clears up all the mysteries in the most unsatisfying ways. only mid wits who can't deal with an open world could like it.
let sleeping dogs lie.

>> No.22534309

>>22533974
I've never read a scifi/fantasy book where the first book wasn't the best aside from maybe Book of the New Sun (counting all 4 entries as separate books). But even with those, Urth of the New Sun, Book of the Long Sun, and Book of the Short Sun were far, far worse. Most scifi and fantasy writers just don't know when to quit.

>> No.22535495

>>22534128
>>22534309
Cool, thank you guys for the recommendations.

>> No.22535525

>>22533974
Hyperion is just a collection of unconnected short stories that the author couldn't sell, and so massaged them into a makeshift novel instead.
The sequel is an unsuccessful attempt to draw all the threads together into a coherent narrative.
The Endymion books are even worse.
None of this recycled, cobbled-together garbage is worth reading.

>> No.22535637

The sequel is worth checking out if you enjoyed the first book. Don't bother with Endymion afterwards.