[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 263 KB, 600x600, 1649933344773.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22470997 No.22470997 [Reply] [Original]

I just finished 1st Alcibiades and although I agree that understanding man would be a necessary step for Alcibiades to succeed I am unsure how such an understanding would be obtained. What is a reasonable next step?

>> No.22471001

alcibiades was a narcissistic fag who should have been torn from limb to limb then set on fire
in plato's minecraft

>> No.22471016

>>22470997
They seem like pretty big hurdles coming right after Alcibiades I, but I think the Republic and Symposium make up something like the elaboration of what comes next, insofar as they both discuss something like the two guiding principles of soul, Thumos and Eros. Maybe dialogues like Cleitophon, Gorgias, and Lysis might be good transitions to thise though.

If you don't mean "what dialogues do I read next to specifically follow this up with", then I think the subject matters to look into are virtue, with a focus on justice in particular, and the soul.

>> No.22471019

>>22470997
>>22471016
you know what happened to the Greeks? Homosexuality destroyed them. Aristotle was a homo, we all know that. So was Socrates.The last six Roman emperors were fags.

You see, homosexuality, immorality in general, these are the enemies of strong societies. That's why the Communists and the left-wingers are pushing it.

>> No.22471044

>>22470997
Alcibiades was the general who lost the war with Sparta and he was viewed as an immoral despot and charlatan. The dialogue serves to show how Socrates was not responsible for his pupils who turned out evil but rather had tried setting them on the path to good. It also serves to introduce you to Platonic philosophy. At the academy, that dialogue was usually taught first as a basic intro to dialectic format. From there, you move on to the other dialogues and read more of Plato’s actual philosophy and get an understanding of what he taught.

>> No.22471910

>>22471019
This is a chicken and egg question. I can certainly see it appearing in decaying societies but is it the cause? I doubt it. Could you say it was the beginning of the West's current problems? No chance. Gay marriage was way downstream of a million other issues