[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 94 KB, 600x600, 85585-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22468343 No.22468343 [Reply] [Original]

Of audiobooks?

Whenever I read a book, it's often that I read some sentence or paragraph twice before fully comprehending it. Which makes sense because the author carefully chose the words he used and took his time to convey the message in the book. However with these stupid audiobooks, one blink and you miss it.

I was hoping to fully comprehend and retain the books I've read with their audiobook versions but they don't seem to be efficient. I'm just gonna use cliffnotes or some shit now.

Why does this shit even exist? Should I just stick to podcasts?

>> No.22468614

>>22468343
Yeah this was my experience trying out audiobooks with the great Gatsby, I was involved sure but to truly absorb it all would've been utterly impossible without rewinding every 5 seconds. I guess you can see it as exercise to stay on the ball kek but if I want to gain something deeper from it I'll read, re-read certain pages and take notes (admittedly i slack on this front) not fucking listen to it like I would a YouTube video. In conclusion listening to an audiobook while working is understandable but you're fucked in the head if that's the only way you consume books

>> No.22468619

>>22468343
>have to pay more attention
get tested for audio processing disorder.
>whenever I read a book.. I read some sentence or paragraph twice before fully comprehending
get tested for ADHD, its comorbid with APD

I can work out and count reps without loosing a single detail, this is because I am medicated for ADHD.

>>22468614
same as OP, get tested.

>> No.22468772

>>22468619
Motherfucker you're just on adderall, not everyone has ADHD because they can't focus on an audiobook completely while doing anything else.

>> No.22468776

>>22468619
Bro that's just called being on speed. You are just hooked on speed lol

>>22468343
The problem with audiobooks is that people listen to them while doing something else, leading to divided attention. E.g. they listen when walking or when cooking. The beauty of reading a book is that you have to concentrate to read the damn thing.

Though there is a way to "read" without concentrating, and this is what normal people do: they skim, they go fast, they tread over details. That's because most schlock is not written with attention to detail, half of it may as well be AI generated, then the reader gets the "satisfaction" of having read a long book, but did not actually labour over each word. Such books may make fine audiobooks since even the people reading them on a page don't pay attention to them

>> No.22468778

>>22468343
I only listen to audiobooks that I've already read. Couldn't imagine just listening to W&P lmao I would have absolutely no clue who is who

>> No.22468804

>>22468343
You might be retarded, get yourself checked.

>> No.22468867

>>22468343
>What's the point
To be able to say that you've read books without actually reading them.

>> No.22468979

Everybody wanna a scholar but don't nobody wanna read no heavy-ass books.

>> No.22469197

>>22468979
Niggas out here working under the assumption that they'd rather read the stranger then anna karenina over something so trivial as page length, many such cases!