[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 9 KB, 240x273, 240px-FlanneryO'Connor.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2244101 No.2244101 [Reply] [Original]

How do you feel about reading stories devoid of romance?

I know some readers like to have a romantic subplot in everything.

>> No.2244108

I honestly don't care. The amount of romance in a book doesn't affect how much I enjoy it.

>> No.2244114

usually just seems like some pointless bullshit added to keep females entertained. i could do without it.

>> No.2244116

let's post about flannery o'connor instead

"good country people" is a seriously mean ass story but also great

http://faculty.weber.edu/Jyoung/English%206710/Good%20Country%20People.pdf

>> No.2244128

I think a lot of books (and films for that matter) would be improved by removing the romance sections. It seems like it's just shoehorned into everything by default.

>> No.2244146

flannery o'connor rules

>> No.2244150

Sometimes it's necessary for the plot, sometimes it isn't.

Aragorn and Arwen's relationship is worthless to the story, for instance.

>> No.2244151

it's so weird to sperg out like this over Romantic Subplots in things that are actually good. like I understand it when it's coming from people who are pissed off that they shoehorned in something that took away from the explosions in transformers 2, but.

also yes flan o'c is one cold hard bitch and i love her for it

>> No.2244164

I don't care.

>> No.2244396

Its very tiresome in a lot of stories, movies as well. I do agree its probably added just to entertain some women depending on the novels.

Its funny I was just thinking about O'Connor and then I found this thread.

I personally enjoy "Wildcat" the most, with "The Lame Shall Enter First" coming in a close second. I cried a lot while reading "The Lame Shall Enter First".

>>2244128
In the movie Hot Fuzz, there was a romantic part written in, but it just didn't work so they took it out. I think the movie would have been utterly crippled had they left it in. Towards the end, you can tell some of the lines Danny says were ment to be Angel's love interest. Pretty humerous.

>> No.2244402

>>2244396
OP here.

Finally, someone gives props to Wildcat.

People are always bringing up "A Good Man is Hard To Find' before anything else.

i also dig "Parker's Back" and "Enoch and The Gorilla."

>> No.2244797

>>2244402
Parker's Back was good, I don't think I finished reading "Enoch and The Gorilla"- hate to say it, I just couldn't get into that one.

Everyone always brings up "A Good Man Is Hard to Find" because it and "The Life You Save May Be Your Own" are in High School text books. But they're great for drawing you into O'Connor because its basically like "Here's a Summary of O'Connor"

>> No.2244833

>>2244402

But yes, Wildcat. It was just.. the ending. Couldn't get that one out of my head because how creepy? Just those guys sitting around the table laughing and carrying on and the blind guy just brings everything to a dead stop. Perfect.

I love Southern Gothic, and being a Southerner myself its funny to me, to see the people she wrote about alive and walking around now. She was so good at whittling down people to their raw core. Though I'm sure people anywhere could recognize some of those characters in people they know.

Flannery herself was a character. I hate to say "Strong Woman" but she was an intense and I love her grit.

If you like O'Connor, you might enjoy Natsuo Kirino's "Out".

>> No.2244860

>>2244797

"TLYSMBYO" is fantastic. Probably my most-read short story.