[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 526 KB, 1400x1122, R.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22408707 No.22408707 [Reply] [Original]

What is the best bible translation? I'm and atheist and want to actually start reading the bible.

>> No.22408711

>>22408707
>I'm and atheist
Lmao, retardation.

>> No.22408715

>>22408707
NWT

>> No.22408724

>>22408715
Why.

>> No.22408727

>>22408707
for english i like CEB but i mostly read it in french and use the louis segond translation

>> No.22408729

>>22408727
Why do you like the CEB over other translations?

>> No.22408731

>>22408707
Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan's The Living Torah: The Five Books of Moses and the Haftarot.

As for the New Testament: King James'

>> No.22408737

>>22408731
Can you please tell me why you prefer those translations over others?

>> No.22408745

>>22408724
Easy to understand and full of notes. If you want something with more beautiful prose then KJV

>> No.22408754

>>22408711
Christcucks are faggots.

>> No.22408756

>>22408754
I'm not intending to convert, I just want new reading material.

>> No.22408763

>>22408729
well to be honest i havent compared that many but i cant stand the KJV and dont understand people who say its the only true bible or whatever and i found the CEB a nice easily understood read.

>> No.22408768

>>22408737
ofc, I find it more interesting to read OT from a Jewish stand-point, that is, through rabbinical translations and commentaries (since this one comes with Rashi's commentary), with facing Hebrew print. Might be interesting for you to delve into that language too if you're willing to take that time.

As for NT, you can basically read it in any version since it's been more widespread. King James' NT is just a 'normie' reference but does the job in my opinion. Ofc, if you want to delve deeper, try Latin or Greek by reading the original Septuaginta. There are some good editions out there (I have both Latin and Greek at home, old 1960's paperbacks).

>> No.22408787

NRSV keeps a nice old style while being more accurate and readable.

I really like the Ancient Faith Study Bible, which has quotes from the Church Fathers, Augustine, Origen, Ambrose, etc.

That's CSB, which is pretty good.

ESV and NIV are both ok but I did notice that I Peter 4 is translated quite misleadingly in the NIV. The ESV study Bible has a lot of very misleading notes but the ESV translation is fine.

>> No.22408795

>>22408707
One is not really enough, I recommend these four:

KJV: biggest cultural legacy in the English-speaking world. Everyone's idea of what a holy book should sound like. It's poorly translated from shitty medieval sources and has outright mistakes and an explicit Anglican bias. Also its style, while imposing ("thou shalt not") is just not what the originals were meant to sound like.

NRSV: the translation preferred by the academia. A good one to consult if something seems suspicious in the other translations. Tries very hard to remain objective and non-sectarian, was translated by a huge multi-faith committee, has the Catholic imprimatur and basically everyone agrees that it's good. It can be hard to read. It also makes the contentious choice of gender-neutral language.

NLT: the best easy-reading translation. Like other easy-reading translations it makes some interpretive choices for you, but this one is not as bad as the others. Has a Catholic imprimatur despite being compiled by a Protestant publishing house - a good sign of a lack of bias and overall quality.

The New Testament by David Bentley Hard: A quirky but sincere attempt to translate the new testament while preserving stylistic choices, poor grammar, sentences that just make no sense and so on. Shouldn't be your only translation but it's fun.

>> No.22408805

>>22408707
Assuming this isn't a larp just read the catholic Bible, I don't remember what the differences are between it and NKJ but I remember it being better.

>> No.22408812

>>22408787
Ancient Faith Bible does lack the Deuterocanonnical books though, which is missing some good stuff. The Oxford Study Bible has these but the notes aren't as good.

BTW, does anyone know a good Septuagint translation?

>>22408805
Catholics have multiple translations. My Catholic Bible is NRSV for example.

>> No.22408816

The Amplified Bible is also pretty nice for filling in context.

>> No.22408983
File: 578 KB, 1280x1280, IMG_0895.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

RSV2CE. It's lovely.

>> No.22408989

>>22408707
I prefer AMP because it has translation notes in the text while maintaining readability.

>> No.22409893

>>22408707
Shouldn't we have a chart for this by now?

>> No.22409895
File: 1.27 MB, 1836x2386, 1641888644032.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22408707
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvWmJSOFT1w

>>22409893
There are a few

>> No.22409966

GNV or bust.

>> No.22410074

>>22408731
>Aryeh Kaplan
love his translations of Kabbalist texts, have a copy of Living Torah but haven't actually read through it yet, thanks for reminding me to grab it off the shelf sometime

>> No.22410087

>>22408805
Why butt your head into a conversation you clearly know very little about?

>> No.22410100

>Go thy ways, then, eat thy bread with a stout heart, and drink wine to thy contenting; that done, God asks no more of thee.
>Ever be thy garments of white, ever let thy brow glisten with oil;
>live at ease with the wife that is thy heart’s love, long as this uncertain life is granted thee; fugitive days, here beneath the sun. Live thou and labour thou under the sun as thou wilt, this thy portion shall be, and nothing more.
>Whatever lies in thy power, do while do it thou canst; there will be no doing, no scheming, no wisdom or skill left to thee in the grave, that soon shall be thy home.
Ecclesiastes 9:7-10, Knox version.

For me, "fugitive days, here beneath the sun," and, "do while do it thou canst," sold me on Knox's style. Love this version so much it's unreal.
Still, I know some people prefer less dynamic translation and also some prefer non-Catholic versions. I have a copypasta I wrote up on translations a few years ago, I'll post it as a response to this post after a couple minutes.

>> No.22410141

>>22410100
>Ecumenical/Academic
New Oxford Annotated Bible in RSV with Expanded Apocrypha - (note: not NRSV) a pretty good all-purpose Bible. Includes both Catholic and Eastern Orthodox deuterocanonical books, and plenty of scholarly notes. The deuterocanon isn't placed throughout the Old Testament, but instead is in its own section after the NT.
Oxford Revised English Bible with Apocrypha - less literal translation, though it only has the Catholic deuterocanon which is placed in a section between Old and New Testaments.
>Orthodox
Orthodox Study Bible - not formally approved by the church and readers should know that it's NKJV+Septuagint additions rather than an original translation of the Septuagint. Still, well liked by many and includes Orthodox notes and icons.
Brenton English Septuagint + Eastern Orthodox Bible New Testament - two-piece combo of an actual Septuagint translation and the only English translation I know of for the Patriarchal Text officially approved by the Eastern Orthodox Church.
>Catholic
Douay-Rheims Challoner - older, traditional. Baronius Press makes one combined with the Vulgate if you want to practice your Latin; there are plenty of other publishers still printing it as well.
Knox - currently sold by Baronius Press. Different and less literal renderings, sometimes more interesting to read since it breaks out of the mold set by DR and KJV. Preserves acrostics which is a cool detail.
RSV-2CE - Catholic revision of the RSV sold in many different formats. If you're looking for a Catholic study Bible then I'd recommend checking out the Didache Bible RSV-2CE.
>Protestant
King James Version - older, traditional. Can be found at dollar stores if you're on a shoestring budget or you can get very nice copies from various publishers with a range of different features. Personally recommend the Cambridge Cameo Reference with Apocrypha for a nice edition.
ESV - updated version of the 2nd edition of the RSV. Result of the NRSV 'updating' the translation by removing gendered words and replacing them with gender-neutral pronouns. Lots of different versions available including a study Bible or a nice, fancy single-column, multi-volume readers edition printed in Italy. Also a very nice $7-8 vest-pocket NT+Ps+Pr.
>Digital/Software
Xiphos/BibleTime - both good free SWORD programs that run on Windows, Mac, or Linux.
AndBible - good Android SWORD app.
With these you have access to multiple repositories and a ton of different manuscripts/translations, commentaries, and general books from various authors in different Christian traditions.
KJV with Apocrypha and the Douay-Rheims Challoner revision are both available free here. There is also the World English Bible with Deuterocanon in the eBible repository, this includes the Orthodox deuterocanon. eBible also has the Brenton Septuagint, and an updated version of it called LXX2012.
Beyond translations: CCEL.org provides lots of commentaries and books free to download or read in-browser.

>> No.22410463

>>22410141
Very good recs. If I'd recommend just one, it'd be RSV2CE. Maybe soon the NAB will finally be a contender. It'll be out in 2025 apparently, but I know some of the scholars they got are based and alleviating many of it's issues.

>> No.22410511

>>22408754
>le faggots
outside of a christian worldview nothing is truly evil or actually degenerate, everything just is, things happen and nothing matters.

atheists are the real philosophical cucks and dimwits, but they still have time to seek the Truth