[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 89 KB, 735x783, autism-is-my-superpower-superhero-pepe-the-frog.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22392890 No.22392890 [Reply] [Original]

I enjoy reading. I'm really impressed by well-written texts, and I understand what I read. But I'm terrible at speaking/writing. I'm not talking about grammar itself, I can write well in my native language; what messes me up is organizing my thoughts and putting them into texts. (Speaking is even worse, and I've already given up on it, but writing gives me time to think before 'speaking'). And even though I've read a considerable amount of books, I just fail. Does anyone have any tips, suggestions, or a guide on what I should do to improve my writing?

>> No.22392911

no

>> No.22393014

No tips from me but have a bump. Best of luck in your endeavors

>> No.22393055

>>22392890
make a list of what you want to say. If there are characters, make a list of what each character should have ended up saying, in what order, etc., and make a chart of the conversation. Writing is a skill you need to learn, you can't expect to just magically start writing fluent texts.

>> No.22393087

>>22392890
I remember some anon on here recounting Benjamin Franklin's method of honing his writing skills as a young man of letters. First he would read a paragraph or so of a work he admired. Then he would try to rewrite the passage himself, as closely as possible, using his memory of what it said, and afterwards compare his version against the original. I haven't tried this myself, but I can see how the comparison might reveal to you the subtle devices of expression and elegant links between ideas that, when reading normally, you would otherwise skim over.

You might also, OP, be by nature a slow, methodical writer. Some authors (like Flaubert, famously) have to plan and tinker and endlessly revise before the desired shape starts to cohere. But your original post was all very nicely put, so it seems that your efforts do pay off.

>> No.22393227

>>22392890
Write.
Write, and keep writing.
As an aspie that's godawful at conveying ideas into speech, but great at converting ideas into writing, to be a good writer, you must write and not be afraid of failure, and by that, I mean putting what you've written out there, to a writer's group, to a writing website, it can be something original you thought up or even fanfiction, so long as you yourself are improving by doing it. Get people who can give you feedback too, it helps immensely.

>> No.22393239

>>22392890
You should have no problem conveying your ideas if they are well articulated in your mind.
It also takes practice. Talk more. Write more. Think more.

>> No.22393380

>>22393087
Thank you, anon!

>> No.22393416

>>22393227
thanks for your suggestions.

>>22393239
There is the problem. My mind is a complete mess. Sometimes I try to write to calm down my thoughts. It's as if my thoughts (which are numerous) want to come out all at the same time. Speaking makes it impossible to convey what I intend.

I will practice, as you said. Thanks, too.

>> No.22393418
File: 57 KB, 1000x1000, 1692332112427588.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22392890
Try reading authors who you think have good prose, and after reading enough of them, your writing will improve naturally. This is akin to training a neural network with a training set of texts, but you don't need to consciously do anything except read great quantities of quality writing.

After a while, you will be able to produce sentences by piecing together sections instead of deliberating over its structure, and with this comes the benefit of having a somewhat appealing cadence to your words.

>> No.22393456

>>22393418
I noticed my way of speaking becoming somewhat similar to the religious books I read throughout my entire adolescence. I imagined that reading would help, and it did take many years, but I'm not sure if it would still work as I'm already 29 years old. At least the accent doesn't change anymore.