[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 21 KB, 263x380, Threebody.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22382785 No.22382785 [Reply] [Original]

Probably late to the party but I have just finished pic related and I have mixed feelings about it
On one hand it captivated me but on the other I feel like it jumped the shark once the magical aliens create an AI from a proton to fuck with human technology. Up until that point the novel was somewhat grounded in a sort of pseudoscientific logic but there it all goes out the window.

There are also a few other points that were a little ridiculous to me
>when the three suns are aligned the planet loses its gravity
So only when they are perfectly aligned their gravitational pull passes that of the planet? Sounds pretty convenient
And most of all
>Three body problem
>The planet is in a four body system

However it was enjoyable and that's why I struggle to classify it as shit and I am still curious to read the next volumes. Although the historical parts were boring as shit.
What did you think /lit/? I know you are all sciencelets I will probably have to go over at /sci/ to complain about the plot holes

>> No.22382874

I thought the proton thing was the best part of the book

>> No.22383189

>>22382785
Yeah it's a big deus ex machina of an ending, and actually cheapens the mystery of earlier events (like the guy who can see things everywhere).

Despite being crammed with sci-fi concepts, Liu shows little understanding of the science behind them. In some instances he just leaves a foot note which basically says "I can't be fucked to explain this to you right now, I just need a word that sounded smart".

I kept with it, and read its sequel, but just fed up with what is essentially China's Atlas Shrugged.

>> No.22383195

>>22382785
I've only read the summary but my favorite part is time travelling morale booster dudes

>> No.22383279

the scope of the whole thing ramps way up in the the next two books, definitely read them. but it's even less scientific at that point

>> No.22383364

>>22383279
This but the important part of scifi is internal consistency and logic, not "realism" as by definition it relies on unknown stuff. Basically every scifi is either unscientific or just from very near future. Who the fuck knows whether orbital rings, generation ships etc are more feasible than sophons or equivalent. You just have to aproach them logically and make them work. Worst of Lius logical mistakes are theoretical aspects of ayyolmaology and biosignature detection abilities. Stealth in space for planetary species is less realistic than sophons.

>> No.22383371

>>22382785
applying the n-body problem to Kantian thoroughgoing determination renders it impossible, but how?

>> No.22383412

>>22383364
Yeah I agree, I think a lot of good sci fi has some sort of unexplained element that's not really realistic and then it explores the consequences of that. Demanding absolute realism is kinda stupid. Like in Blindsight you still got the vampire shit or something, it's just great

>> No.22383514

>>22383364
there is no internal consistency since the whole beginning is already a moronic fantasy

>> No.22384194

>>22383189
>what is essentially China's Atlas Shrugged
I haven't even read Atlas Shrugged but it still sounds weirdly accurate

>> No.22384198
File: 57 KB, 885x874, 1685905896203244.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

They banned me from /sci/ again

>> No.22384206

>>22383364
>internal consistency
Yes it's a better term and it's what I meant, the novel starts with a near future science fiction and then it starts accepting distortions to our own conception of physics that wouldn't be allowed

>> No.22384237

>>22384194
If you can imagine Ben Shapiro arguing with himself, that is the dialog of Atlas Shrugged. Polemic squared.

Add your typical Asian expository style where apparently people are paid by the word, and you get this trilogy's dialog.