[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 21 KB, 301x378, Lord-byron.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2238153 No.2238153 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/, I'm writing a ten page paper on the merits (or lack of) in the genre of "young adult fiction." I'm making a laundry list of things to cover and I could use some help. Here's what I have so far:

>Until the '60s, kids read all sorts of literature
>*there was no specific genre known as young adult fiction
>*books popular amongst young adults did not cater to or aim at them
>*young adult fiction is a trick made by marketing and/or specific authors to sell more books

>Young adult fiction doesnt hold as much literary merit as unmarketed books
>*authors will often use simple literary language to appeal to audiences, underestimating them (as opposed to earlier books who did not cater to any specific audience)
>*they focus less on wide spectrums of topic and more on things affecting young adults (teen romance, bullying, etc.)
>*the specific label of "young adult fiction" can potentially create a barrier in schools and adults who dont want children exposed to more 'adult' topics (drugs, existentialism, sexuality)

>Young adult fiction serves the education system, not the reader
>*young adult fiction is written to appeal to teenagers while literature that challenges preconceived notions can be filtered out by an over-protective education system

>> No.2238156

>*young adult fiction is a trick made by marketing and/or specific authors to sell more books
>*young adult fiction is written to appeal to teenagers while literature that challenges preconceived notions can be filtered out by an over-protective education system

Flesh this out

>> No.2238158

>young adult fiction is corrupting our children into Nazi sheeple slaves who buy McDonalds, work in an office, and watch the Big Bang Theory

>> No.2238159

I'd like to read this when it's done.

>> No.2238167

>>2238159

I wouldn't mind letting you read it, but if I post it on the internet before (or even after) I hand it in, there's the risk of my professor wrongly accusing me of plagiarism.

>> No.2238176

If anything, I feel teen literature focuses too much on "dark" themes.

The problem is also that "dark" themes are things like accidental pregnancy and drug use, rather than anything relating to philosophy, society, culture or the world in general. Good luck finding a teen novel that focuses on how the education system counts on students to take out large loans, which in turn are funded by the government who count on defaults (because it makes them more money.)

>> No.2238178

Give it to your professors and afterward. Submit it to TAR.

>> No.2238179

>>2238178
>TAR

I don't know what that is.

>> No.2238189

>>2238167
>there's the risk of my professor wrongly accusing me of plagiarism.
...because of a post on an anonymous board where threads disappear after a few hours.

>> No.2238191

Use Looking For Alaska as an example as to why young adult literature is tripe

>> No.2238201

>>2238179

/lit/ zine.

>> No.2238208

>/lit/ is NOT a homework board.