[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 2.04 MB, 1600x900, uncertainty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2237638 No.2237638 [Reply] [Original]

sup /lit/.

Have any of you ever published a book? Or know anything about the topic?

What can you tell me about it? I feel like I could write a pretty excellent book, and if I did I'd like to publish or make some money from it.

How difficult is it to find a publisher? How's the pay? What was the book about? Was it written to sell, or was it written for your own satisfaction? Did they demand a significant amount of editing? Ect, ect.

I'm not so naive as to think that I could make it as a professional writer, but if I went to the trouble of writing a book I'd like to at least have it published - especially considering the amount of trash on the shelves these days. If I made money from it, great. If not, I'd still enjoy writing it.

Thanks for your input.

>> No.2237661

I'm no expert (at all), but you're going to earn a lot less than you would have a few years ago. Publishers tend not to put serious money into someone unless they become wildly popular (and most of the wildly popular stuff IS the trash), and are investing in e-book publishing, which allows them to pay very little money to ever increasing numbers of wannabe writers with questionable talent.

In short, write the book, THEN think about publishing. If it isn't a labor of love it'll just become a labor, and you won't finish it. Even if nobody takes it you can still get it out there to people. Hell, I'll read it, whatever it is.

>> No.2237664
File: 44 KB, 500x375, Megan_Eating_Toastie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>writing for money
Yeah about that, unless Operah hypes you, ain't gonna happen.

I know authors who have released a few books, books taht have been quite popular and they're still working day jobs. And as said they aren't no-name authors either.

I would say try and get some stuff in zines and journals before trying to get a book published, it gives you some cred. Also, the sad truth is you're going to face rejection a lot. Even with something good. A lot of publishers base it on what the market wants. Even indie prints. They claim to be less bias, but they print what alt-lit is cool.

Failing that you can marry a owner of a small print, get a book published then divorce him before it's release for more attention.

>> No.2237676

I feel like I could write a pretty excellent book, and if I did I'd like to publish or make some money from it.

every single motherfucker on this board feels this way, fucking STOP

>> No.2237801 [DELETED] 

b-b-b-bumps

>> No.2237822

Be scandinavian

write crime story

??????

profit!!