[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 66 KB, 512x628, 1666545644002957.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22328834 No.22328834 [Reply] [Original]

The vast majority of his "stories" are barely readable word-vomit-dogshit that completely lack any kind of grounding or human element beyond "let me tell you this spooky shit I experienced by slowly describing paragraph upon paragraph of archaic babble", and the babble isn't even remotely interesting, cerebral or believably "insane" because like I said it doesn't remotely read like something written by an actual human trying to recount some lived experience

>> No.22328841

>>22328834
Yeah, fuck you.

>> No.22328848

>>22328834
>what is genre specific writing style
That's one of the reasons why you should shut up about something you don't read.

>> No.22328850

>>22328834
Imagine getting filtered by a reclusive, antisocial, racist, xenophobic WASP. You just got filtered by the original of /pol/tard.

>> No.22328851

>>22328848
>what is genre specific writing style
Something that Poe did well, and Lovecraft was utterly shit at

>> No.22328861
File: 3.88 MB, 3937x5562, 20230801_185852.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22328834
Reading him right now, very comfy. Don't know what you are on about.

>> No.22328865

le edgy racism cat man tells stories that remind me of /r/nosleep!

>> No.22328879

>>22328834
I liked Sarnath and that's all that matters.
>>22328865
Literally the opposite of nosleep.

>> No.22328881

>>22328834
We like his stories for their originality, not for their quality.

>> No.22328914

>>22328834
>barely readable
>babble
Sir, you need to learn to read. He is one of the easiest "classic" authors to read.

>> No.22328929

>>22328881
>holy cwap the originality...the spooktoberino quality....the hippo had human arms....and the human had a.....crocodile head....AND THEY MARCHED!!1 i am le terrorizedballs

>> No.22328934

the only negative thing anyone could say about Lovecraft is that his stories are formulaic. They're all about a guy who's into science and the occult, and they're all about a guy who's scared of ____. Then the story tells you why he's terrified of ______. Before you pick up on that, all his stories are highly imaginative and gripping and have great gothic prose. Fuck you.

>> No.22328954

>>22328850
Emphasis on the "tard". Kinda sad he died shortly after growing up.

>> No.22328998

>>22328834
Positively filtered, sorry to say. Imagine thinking that a "human element" is even needed or relevant in every type of literature. Have you ever heard of alienation?

>archaic babble
You couldn't grasp or experience the pleasure of his prose. I just feel sorry for you.

>> No.22329045

>>22328998
Retarded sub 50IQ redditor spotted. The human element roots you into the horrors and the believability of the story, it has nothing to do with whether or not the tale has many characters or a lot of dialogue. Lovecraft was just utterly incapable of anything deeply psychological or believable which is why all of his "characters" are interchangeable featureless narrators that monotonely recount "i am le writer" tier ye olden word vomit purple prose that describes sights and sounds with repetitive adjectives that quickly lose their power

>> No.22329447

>>22329045
This is the most retarded, sub 50IQ, reddit post I've seen on /lit/ today.
Humans and their stories are utterly boring. Also, there's no such thing as purple prose.

>> No.22329457

>>22329447
You have absolutely no clue what the fuck youre talking about. Youre basically admitting that lovepoo's dogshit tattle tales amount to literally nothing except flowery (unpleasant and amateurish compared to anyone with actual talent) descriptions of environments and creatures that some NPC narrator walks through, like some fucking haunted house ride. Its devoid of all depth, and any kind of human character, which is a pathetic failure when he still pretends to write about human beings in these situations

>> No.22329460

>>22329457
Your complains are utter midwittery. I'm convinced that you're an adolescent or quite young adult, because none of the shit that you're talking about is relevant or interesting to anybody who hasn't but recently "discovered" literature.

His stories are pleasurable and interesting to read, and they evoke a strong sense of atmosphere and feelings of annihilation and succumbing to the abyss. Other times, they are simply good ghost stories.

It's his poems that are pretty wishy-washy.

>> No.22329465

>>22329457
>every human character in a work of fiction needs to have depth and can't just be a vehicle to move the prose or ideas forward
Please go read or watch something by Brecht.

>> No.22329484

>>22329460
>I'm convinced that you're an adolescent or quite young adult, because none of the shit that you're talking about is relevant or interesting to anybody who hasn't but recently "discovered" literature.
ironic, because the only people who wank form above all else are the definition of pseudointellectual midwits trying to seem cultured, which is doubly ironic while defending a shit example of both like lovecraft. If you cant see why the vast majority of lovecrafts work is utter shit, its because youre retarded and dont underatand anything about writing, characters and storycraft

>>22329465
>every human character in a work of fiction needs to have depth and can't just be a vehicle to move the prose or ideas forward
both film and video games utterly rape literature at this approach, the entire strength of the written word is being able to be inside a characters head, and to have everything filtered through their experience

>> No.22329491

>>22329484
>storycraft
Christ, your posts read like the ostentatious ramblings of an adolescent. Kindly fuck off and read for pleasure's sake for a change. No amount of reading for depth and understanding will cure your frankly incurable teenage existential crisis.

>> No.22329494

>>22329457
>devoice of all depth
You're probably just an inexperienced person. Did you read "The Fault In The Stars" and feel something? I noticed that people who never really experienced hardship (A lot of middle class americans, but especially females) felt torn to peices by that book, or like the kind of person who never attended a funeral. I bring that shitty book to mention on the exact opposite end of that, some authors rely on the individual to have an understanding of how things work. So, for example, if you have an ability to connect dots, you can see that there are clearly things going on behind the scenes that are not going to be brought up much (if at all), but they are there and they are happening.
>I'm sitting a diner, pausing to relight my cigarette, and an expressionless mother and a 6 year old girl covering the left part of her face walks in. I exhale then return to my food.
Do you understand?

>> No.22329509

>>22329491
>storycraft
>Christ, your posts read like the ostentatious ramblings of an adolescent
are you...legitimately retarded? an industry term for the study of what governs the entire construction of fiction is "the ostentatious ramblings of an adolescent"?
>No amount of reading for depth and understanding will cure your frankly incurable teenage existential crisis.
so yes, you are. you dont even understand what the "depth" being referred to here is. Lovecraft was a crippled autist who understood nothing about people, hence why his characters have zero depth and their internal world is that of a hollow narrator NPC, who cant and wont sell the idea of being actually terrorized by anything as a result. He doesnt understand how to write a story, whereas someone like Poe will immediately filter any fiction through the eyes of the POV character, and root it into their specific character and mental state

>> No.22329515

>>22329509
>industry term
Top lel
How about I keep calling you a retard, but stop bumping your faggot thread? How does that sound?

>are you le...ellipses...wait for it...hold on...epic pwn incoming...retardo?!
Reddit is down the hall and to the left. Once again, none of your critiques are relevant to the type of narrative that Lovecraft sought to create.