[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 46 KB, 277x416, name.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2231021 No.2231021 [Reply] [Original]

What did you /lit/erates think of Name of the Wind?

I really liked the emphasis it put on the importance of music and the significant symbolism of the "story" and the allegory of how Kvothe presented it like a play. I also liked the concept of denner resin, the 'sweet-eaters' and whatnot. Over-white teeth is creepy.

My favorite character was Abenthy .

>> No.2231027

i'm not a big fan but maybe that's more because of the hype than the book itself? idk.

>> No.2231040

I really enjoyed how Rothfuss managed to make Sympathy make sense. Rowlingan "magic works because magic" is weak and inert as far as plot goes, but he made it agree with things such as quantum entanglement. THAT really blew my mind.

>> No.2231075

A number of things in the book impressed me. The use of language, the importance of music, the magic, how big of a problem poverty is for Kvothe.

I love Bast.

I hate Denna, and how dull (nearly) every scene involving her is.

The second book was not as good, imo, but I'm still hopeful that the third will pull everything together.

>> No.2231099

Stopped after 50 pages, the writing is fucking campy. To be fair, I don't like fantasy much to begin with.

Hurrdurr silences in 3 parts herpderp.

>> No.2231112

>>2231075

OP here. I found Denna just to be flat, not boring. I did get tired of Kvothe doting over her constantly, though, but I think that's just a product of him being... what was it, 15 or 16? Something around there.

You brought up something I forgot-- Kvothe's poverty. I loved it too, it's something you really don't see in a lot of books. Poverty sucks-- Been there, done that, so I found it somewhat easy to relate to Kvothe that way.