[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 521 KB, 1500x900, 11177222.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22236551 No.22236551 [Reply] [Original]

Freud said that narcissism rises from a conflict between the superego and the ego, basically that you had bad parents -- either you were made to look inferior to them or they put you on a pedestal, so your superego can never control your ego.

The superego or logos is supposed to represent the strength of the father, a.k.a god, and that's supposed to keep you in check.

>> No.22236712

>>22236551
The only book that comes to mind is "A Culture of Narcissism" by Lasch, who was influenced by Freud and takes a more over-arching view that the society of his time was becoming dominated by the therapeutic or narcicisstic self. Not a fan of the book personally, but being a Freudian Lasch might be relevant to you.
The only Freud I've read is "Civilization and it's Discontents", which is a fairly broad overview of Freud's worldview.
If I understood your post, Freud believed narcicissim to be a product either of a parent over-denigrating or conversely spoiling a child.
But which in both cases leads to split between the super-ego (the rule-creating parent or God figure) and the ego, allowing the ego to reign unchecked by the super.
Basically if you have abusive parents you disregard your parent figure, and so have no one to look up to in order to place constraints on you. Or with overly lax parents you have no boundrariies placed on you, which leads a narcissist to over-estimate their self worth while secretly doubting it.
To add my own thoughts, I think an important element of narcicissm is the performative grandiosity coupled with underlying self doubt. So there is this paradoxical contrast between an external performance of extreme confidence which masks real uncertainty.
In my personal experience with people like this I often think it's often as simple as an excessive desire for approval from others. And yet thid personality will instanteously jettison without consideration views different from his or her own out of fear of disapproval from the other person. The paradox of the narcistic type is to be desperately wanting validation from other's because of a weak sense of self, but to ve to self-obsessed to genuinely listen or learn from what others have to say. So the narcissist simaltaneously is too self-direected and too other-directed. If there is some childhood origin for this affliction, maybe it simply comes from not receiving enough assurance or attention at a critical adolescent stage. Who knows.
Or maybe there's no such thing at all as a narcissist and we are all just vain attention seeking animals...

>> No.22236717

>>22236551
Bump