[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 64 KB, 600x850, 600.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22094439 No.22094439 [Reply] [Original]

> Fascism is not so much a symptom of political desperation, as of libidino-religious numbness, a kind of anti-poetry on the streets. Like all policy-obsessed behaviour patterns it is rooted in the humanist dead-end characterized by hysterical struggle for autonomy: self-determination, national self-management, master-races, autarky...all attempts to seal the blister from within, to hide from the ocean. The thought that there might be a political response to fascism makes me laugh. Shall we set our little fascism against their big one? Organize ourselves, become disciplined, maybe we could make ourselves some smart uniforms and stomp about in the street? Politics is the last great sentimental indulgence of mankind, and it has never achieved anything except a deepened idiocy, more work, more repression, more pompous ass-holes demanding obedience. Quite naturally we are bored of it to the point of acute sickness. I have no interest at all in groping at power in the blister. What matters is burning a hole through the wall.

Our thoughts on this passage?

>> No.22095288

I liked it. If I understood it fascism is all encompassing and he’s trying to get past order. Like, getting beyond good and evil. Am I right?

>> No.22095299

>>22094439
No self-described fascist on here is going to disagree with this, at this point it's about finding some way, any way, to avert the inevitable.

>> No.22095311

>>22094439
>Our thoughts on this passage?
My thought on this passage is that if he said what he was trying to say plainly instead of in a buzzword salad, it would be revealed to be pretty fucking retarded pretty quickly

>> No.22095317

>>22095311
It's no more than twice as long as it needs to be, a record in postmodern lit

>> No.22095352

I think he's saying that fascism is a neurotic and reactionary response to the fundamental powerlessness of mankind, our lack of tangible status in the grand scheme of things.
>Like all policy-obsessed behaviour patterns it is rooted in the humanist dead-end characterized by hysterical struggle for autonomy
And then later
>all attempts to seal the blister from within, to hide from the ocean.
A blister is a weakening of the flesh that comes with the threat of popping at any moment. We are trying to seal it from within with government structures, as we are too neurotic to venture forth into nonhuman things and seal it from without. "To hide from the ocean," immediately calls to mind not an image of the ocean from without, but an image of the ocean from within, teaming with life and color, and then a retarded flounder marching around in the middle of it with some Hugo Boss gear.

The whole thing stinks with Eastern philosophy, and I kinda like it.

>> No.22095456

>>22094439
It's the only Nick Land I've read and I'm glad I haven't read any more.
>>22095311
>tl;dr politics is hard and inefficient so I don't wanna do it
Yeah, you're right.

>> No.22095524

>>22094439
Billions must die. We will win.

>> No.22095748

>>22095352
the ocean is Capital

>>22095288
yes he is against all top -down structure

>> No.22095773

>>22094439
Edgy poetry with little substance, also stop posting this fucking retards book.

>> No.22095788

>>22094439
I want to penetrate Land's abscess and make him piss infection like a badly infected horse muscle. I want to force him to drink his own blood pus cum.

>> No.22095808
File: 436 KB, 640x480, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22094439
>a hole through the wall

>> No.22095961

>>22094439
>Fascism is
LOL no. To truly understand fascism, it is necessary to read Mussolini and Renzo de Felice. Everything else is just irrelevant nonsense.

>> No.22096003

>>22095352
He's saying the fascism is the logical endpoint of humanism and that contra stalag eroticism, which would get a thrill out of sadists in uniforms, meatspace is rather all so dreary. Land's goal was to excise humanism from the Kantian project and do the Kantian subject beyond the human with capital itself as the Kantian subject.

>> No.22096013

>>22095961
Missed the point, he's saying fascism is the correct and logical implentation of Kant, Fichte, and Hegel's humanism but that he finds humanism wanting and wants to annihilate meatspace into the machinee.

>> No.22096143

>>22094439
In plain English
>Fascism isn't a result of political desperation. It is a primal and popular numbness that has a destructive character. Like all intellectual movements, it comes from the fundamental humanist struggle for ultimate autonomy. This is not possible. There is no political response to fascism. Should my idea of fascism fight theirs? We could larp as Nazis. Politics is all sentiment and has stultified us. We work more, can't make our own choices and have to obey unpleasant people. We find this rather boring. I have no interest in little things, but rather big things.
Even when boiled down to plain-spoken English, I have no clue what he is trying to say.

>> No.22096147

>>22094439
>politics... le bad!
>except my politics that's le good!
It's all so tiresome

>> No.22096150

>>22096143
>Fascism is a primal and popular escapism. People want freedom, but no. Fascism defies reply. So let's maybe larp as Nazis? Politics is all feeling and makes us stupid. Work, obedience, nonces - like, enough already! Patching up the problem is bad, look at the big picture.

>> No.22096158

>>22096150
>Fascism? People wanting to escape. Freedom? No. No answers to fascism. Nazis? No. Politics? Feelings are dumb. Working, orders, assholes? No. Specifics? No. Big picture? Yes.

>> No.22096161

>>22096158
>Fascism? Escapism.
>Freedom? No.
>Answers? No.
>Nazis? No.
>Politics? No.
>Feelings? Dumb.
>Working? No.
>Orders? No.
>Assholes? No.
>Specifics? No.
>Big picture? Yes.

>> No.22096164
File: 25 KB, 755x287, nick land fascism.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22094439

>> No.22096245

>>22094439
>Fascism is actually humanism, so we must forsake it for being basically the Enlightenment

He wants to go even more inhumane.

>> No.22096277
File: 145 KB, 1300x973, field-marshal-bernard-montgomery-during-ww2-1942-1943-in-his-m3a5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22094439
>The thought that there might be a political response to fascism makes me laugh.
I've had so many encounters with academics of the exact same stripe of vague shittiness as Land that I know how it will play out. You will point out the historical precedent that the political response to fascism was the complete and utter destruction by the third reich, and he will immediately, like the snivelling coward he is, hide behind weasel words, insisting that the fascism he is talking about has nothing at all to do with fascism as it actually takes place in reality, but is some sort of intangible and inaccessible spiritual realm platonic ideal kantian transcendental fascism with zero impact on the real world, that he cannot and will not describe further, and he will say this, earnestly and fiercely, and still pretend like his statements on fascism matter.
Rorty correctly assessed the two paths an academic who has accepted postmodernism can go - irony, either juvenile or mature. Land is in the former camp.

>Politics is the last great sentimental indulgence of mankind, and it has never achieved anything except a deepened idiocy, more work, more repression, more pompous ass-holes demanding obedience.
Again, we see it at work. I've got six weeks paid vacation, a very tangible political result. Again, Land is likely talking about some sort of intangible and inaccessible spiritual realm platonic ideal kantian transcendental deleuzian virtual politics with zero impact on the real world. He is just a fucking retard.

>> No.22096280

>>22096277
*destruction of the third reich, obviously.

>> No.22096339

fascism is inherently atheistic.
Fascism didnt exist before atheism.
Fascism is the atheist version of monarchy: being obsessed with being told what to do by a few generic bureaucrats turned into control freaks in order to secure their positions, since fascism being part of atheism and its circlekering over bureaucratic trifles, they have no external supernatural justification for being here, contrary to kings who claimed God put them in charge.
any solution to atheism will not be found with an new -ism from the plethora of -isms the atheists created due to their freedom of opinion and freedom of speech.

>> No.22096565

>>22096164
lol
is that Nick Land's account?
that's a funny perspective given his background with marxism and stuff
>>22096339
you have never read a history book

>> No.22096840
File: 423 KB, 1500x1991, Straw+Dogs+(John+Gray).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22096003
based anti-humamist

>> No.22096847

>>22096147
That's very funny but:
He said he "wants" to burn a hole in the blister, but he does not say that this is possible or prescribe any action. Therefore your second greentext is false

>> No.22096854

>>22096277
>I've had so many encounters with academics of the exact same stripe of vague shittiness as Land
There is nobody like Land and he himself hates academia obsessively