[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 748 KB, 1949x2848, suttree.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22091744 No.22091744 [Reply] [Original]

i love this book

>> No.22091747

>>22091744
Is this the new meme?

>> No.22091757

>>22091747
it hardly ever gets talked about here

>> No.22091759

Yeah it was, dare I say, his best? I have reveries about it all the time.

>> No.22091783

>>22091757
The past few days it's been posted a number of times

>> No.22091785

>>22091757
get talked about more than all his other stuff besides BM (bowel movement)
Is All the Fuckable Horses worth reading??

>> No.22091815

>>22091785
yeah its great, so is the crossing. cities of the plain is mid but the other two are definitely worth reading

>> No.22091818

>>22091759
It is a collection of short stories worse than William Gibson's _Burning Chrome_. The only really good ones are "Watermellon fucker" and "High class whore relationship." "That one time I shat blood and saw god" is weak. "Slate cave picnic" has a nice ending.

>>22091785
All the Fuckable Horses is a succinct summary of the Border Trilogy, but it really takes Crossing to get action without happenstance. I assume you've read and comprehended Journey to the West's attack on Daoism?

I'm not joking about the Daoism.

Border Trilogy has a *massive* payoff in Cities of the Plain, especially if you're Times Literary Supplement lured into the silent ontology.

The thing with Suttree is that women and faggots appear in it. This is challenging for the reader because by the time of Outer Dark Cormac had realised he didn't need to write women and faggots. Or blacks for that matter. He can, but he chooses not to. And not because he's some right wing goon, but because the differánce isn't present like it is between mexicans and texans. Women are, to all effects and purposes, the wife of the Sheriff from No Cunty. Cormac explores all he needs to know about women in Suttree. So if you're looking for the "missing discourses" the fit during "High class whore" and the breasts in "Slate picnic" should cover you. They're basically the two women who appear in The Counsellor.

Also I would totally fuck his black faggots in Suttree..

>> No.22091834

>>22091815
Cities of the Plain shows that the boys who become men are stuck in a repetition of their prior conduct, and that the narrative impellation of the text overrides their characters. Also dat overpass.

>> No.22091844

>>22091834
yeah i just found the pacing slow and the epileptic prostitute as a plot device boring. also it felt just really predictable. it felt like a downgrade from the first two books

>> No.22091858

>>22091844
The prostitute is the text forcibly read by the reader / fucker / pimp and contested over. Billy as a RAMRANCH doesn't get it. It is the revisitation of the prior action: she is a stand in for a stand in. Wait until you've repeated your failure a couple of times and gotten bored of it.

>> No.22091862

>>22091747
Yes, I thought BM going mainstream was going to kill McCarthy threads for good, but I was wrong.

>> No.22091872

>>22091862
What do you feel about the 15 year old in No Country for Old Men? Like obviously not, "Do you get a boner for a 30-40 year old vietnam veteran fucking a child," but rather, what is the role of the veteran rejecting sexually abusing a child, a rejecting "inducting" a child-woman into womanhood, but rather advising her that she will pay a price in future for the decisions she's making as a child?

Why does the Sheriff marry a child in 1946?

>> No.22092017

>>22091744
I too love this book. It was the first of McCarthy's books I ever read. I've since read BM and his two newest, and this one is surely at least as good. I decided to read it when I read what Roger Ebert wrote about it:
>Curiously, my love of reading finally returned after I picked up Cormac McCarthy's Suttree, a book I had already read not long before my first surgery. Now I read it two more times. I was not "reading the same book." I was reentering the same experience, the same occult and visionary prose, the life of Suttree so urgently evoked. As rarely before, a book became tactile to me. When Suttree on his houseboat pulled a cord and brought up a bottle of orange soda pop from the cool river, I savored it. I could no longer taste. I tasted it more sharply than any soda I've ever really had. When Suttree stopped at the bus station for a grilled cheese, I ate it, and the pickle, and drank the black coffee. I began to live through this desperate man's sad life.
https://www.rogerebert.com/roger-ebert/i-think-im-musing-my-mind
Great essay as well.