[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 45 KB, 446x688, images - 2023-05-29T160458.601.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22088227 No.22088227 [Reply] [Original]

Omensetter's Luck

>> No.22088229

It is a book

>> No.22088235

So far I have read The Tunnel and In The Heart of The Heart of The Country and pretty good but The Petersen Kid is the only thing I have really loved like I love his nonfiction. Omensetter's Luck is coming up, it is in the stack and will be gotten to within the next month or two.

>> No.22088244

>>22088235
If you liked The Pedersen Kid you'll fucking love Omensetter's Luck.

>> No.22088268

>>22088244
I suspect to enjoy it. My problem with The Tunnel was mostly the massive overlap with his nonfiction, he sort of crammed all of his essays into a novel which left it lacking and made Kohler feel a bit too much like Gass without providing much of a new perspective on his nonfiction, but it also killed the wonderful feeling of giving a very immediate glimpse into his mind, like you are a passenger in his head as he wrote it.

>> No.22088351

>>22088268
The Tunnel is better read once you are already indoctrinated into the cult of Gass. Read Omensetter's and come back later.

>> No.22088373

>>22088351
I would have a little more faith in you if you had actually engaged with what I said on some level.

>> No.22088383

>>22088373
Well the point I'm sort of making is that his fiction and non-fiction overlap in virtually everything he does - and the more you read him, the less you begin to differentiate between any medium, and it is just Gass writing a bunch of Gassean shit. Which is why The Tunnel is better off come to last because it will cease to matter to you by the time you know and love Gass. But if you don't it's fine. I'm just saying. You're right but it doesn't matter.

>> No.22088403

>>22088383
I am starting to question your having read him/your comprehension possibly just not having read his nonfiction. It has nothing to do with the overlap of idea, it is that it is 1:1, Kohler is an academic and just about quotes Gass at times and it does not even seem to be used as a way to provide a new and external perspective through metafiction, it is just the thinnest of the thinly veiled. I would have enjoyed The Tunnel much more if I had never read his nonfiction.

Your spamming the board with zero effort threads also does not instill confidence.

>> No.22088410

>>22088373
You’re not a fan of “read __” as an elaboration? Don’t you know where you are? Chart readers are the worst. That phase this board went through like 4-5 years ago was frustrating. I got the impression that many anons didn’t actually read, they just liked making charts

>> No.22088422

>>22088403
>Kohler is an academic and just about quotes Gass at times and it does not even seem to be used as a way to provide a new and external perspective through metafiction.
Yes I know I'm saying I just don't care about that. Not sure why you are taking a tone with me.

>> No.22088432

>>22088410
I was not looking for elaboration, I was looking for discussion. I don't think OP has read Gass, just is relying on so few here having read him that he can get away with acting like he has. But he did correct my error of "Petersen" and did not make a thing about correcting me so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I offered two works of fiction and a fairly open ended offer on the nonfiction and neither were taken.

At best OP is just fishing for things he can repeat to sound smart.
>>22088422
>Not sure why you are taking a tone with me
I can't really speak without tone, even if I go out of my way to remove all affect and inflection people will see a tone. But I already explained this, because you have not engaged with anything I have said, you talk around it and really just say "I am great because I got it and you want to be like me right so just read everything else he wrote and reread X so you can be like me and get it."

You have to do more than this if you want me to give you a handjob.

>> No.22088595

>>22088432
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...