[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 81 KB, 686x576, Spurdo Spagner.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22040725 No.22040725 [Reply] [Original]

>I promptly determined to become a poet; and
sketched out tragedies on the model of the Greeks, urged by my acquaintance with Apel's
works: Polyidos, Die Ätolier, &c., &c. Moreover, I passed in my school for a good head "in litteris;" even in the 'Third form' I had translated the first twelve books of the Odyssey. For a while I learnt English also, merely so as to gain an accurate knowledge of Shakespeare; and I made a metrical translation of Romeo's monologue. Though I soon left English on one side, yet Shakespeare remained my exemplar, and I projected a great tragedy which was almost
nothing but a medley of Hamlet and King Lear. The plan was gigantic in the extreme; two-and-forty human beings died in the course of this piece, and I saw myself compelled, in its
working-out, to call the greater number back as ghosts, since otherwise I should have been
short of characters for my last Acts. This play occupied my leisure for two whole years.

>> No.22040738

If you are rich or have a rich friend to support you, yes.

Why the hell do people not realize that people who did this back in the day were either members of the aristocracy, even minor aristocrats, or they had aristocrats as patrons funding their lifestyle?

Find a patron if you want to live like that and do things like that. They're still around, albeit harder to find than back in the day.

>> No.22040754

>>22040738
Wagner did all this while he was still in school.

>> No.22040767

>>22040754
He had rich friends at school to see his genius and support him

>> No.22040813

>>22040767
No he didn't. He neglected his studies in favour of working on this tragedy, and his family admonished him for doing it. He didn't have anyone supporting him but himself.

>> No.22040873
File: 182 KB, 314x401, Greatest.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22040725
Wagner was basically everything. A philosopher, a poet, a musician, a writer....he was just "something" else, I might go even far to say that he was Dionysus reincarnated, I mean just listen to his music, its like you are a knight in a fairy tale or a sailor at sea drunk and depressed. There is a feeling imbibed in every chord. Never have I seen "such" cathartic release of emotions, its as if someone just massaged my entire body. You know we should all just kill ourselves because we would never amount to the greatness of Wagner.

W.

>> No.22040899

>>22040873
I don’t understand how people feel this way about Wagner. I can hardly stand his music—it feels so empty. Even “Ride of the Valkyries” feels so empty to me. Its momentum, even, seems empty.

>> No.22040921 [DELETED] 
File: 29 KB, 768x719, troon.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22040873
you write like a faggot
>basically everything
>just "something" else
>I might go even far to say
>I mean just
>its like you are
>Never have I seen "such"
>its as if someone just massaged my entire body
>You know we should all just kill ourselves
>*doesn't kill himself*

>> No.22040931

>>22040899
Maybe because you're a musically uneducated brainlet.

Tristan and Parsifal are at the same time the summative peak of Western musical achievement and avant garde inventions of the highest subtlety and complexity.

t. Sneedzsche

>> No.22041010

>>22040899
I too used to find him boring when I was your age (13).

>> No.22041042

>>22040899
>I can hardly stand his music
He is drama first, music second.
>Even “Ride of the Valkyries” feels so empty to me
Listening to a short, popular piece taken out of context (the whole opera) and feeling empty about it... what did you expect? Listen to the whole Ring cycle, read the libretto, it's great drama, it's poetry, and it's ingenious music.

>> No.22041075
File: 218 KB, 875x1080, Verdi_by_Giovanni_Boldini.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ENTER

>> No.22041086

>>22040813
>He neglected his studies in favour of working on this tragedy, and his family admonished him for doing it. He didn't have anyone supporting him but himself.

He's just like me, I too have neglected my studies in favor of a major work of storytelling

>> No.22041169
File: 150 KB, 1200x1600, wagner-s-ring-cycle-and-the-greeks-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

had a good mentor in uncle adolf
>In this use of a more historically contextualized kind of Hellenization, Wagner was perhaps influenced early on by his beloved uncle Adolf Wagner. Something of a rogue classicist, Uncle Adolf stood firmly against what he disparagingly labeled “Grecifying” and was “a professed opponent of all idealizing Grecomania.” One might reasonably speculate that it was through this early influence that Wagner first came to realize, as it seems certain previous artists had not, that one could not naively import Attic art into Germany and expect it to work the same miracles it worked in Athens. As Wagner saw it, “removed from its time and surroundings, that product is robbed of the weightiest part of its effect.” Neo-classical plays merely based on Greek myths and imitating Greek forms could not have the same kind of effect on modern audiences as they had on ancient ones. Content best vitalizes form from within, not vice versa. As proof of this, Wagner’s greatest operas use Hellenized German myths not Germanized Hellenic myths.

>One of the most important or, at all events, earliest influences on Wagner’s understanding of antiquity was his uncle, Adolf Wagner, who had studied theology in school but eventually gave it up to devote himself to philosophy and philology. By all accounts Uncle Adolf was an independent scholar with very little positive to say about the pedantic ways of the academy during his lifetime, an opinion he may well have passed on to the young Richard. His most important contribution to classical scholarship was not a work on the Greeks but an anthology of the great Italian poets, including Dante, Petrarch, and Ariosto. Mixing his Greeks and Romans, though, he called the work Parnasso Italiano. He also translated Sophocles’ Oedipus Rex and often recited Sophocles for his young nephew’s enjoyment. As Wagner himself tells us, he had access to his uncle’s library and read widely and avidly but, as he himself admits, rather haphazardly.

what's more impressive to me is that as a 17 year old he distilled a piano reduction for two hands of Beethoven's 9th symphony, now that's perseverance.
https://digital.wagnermuseum.de/ncrw/content/titleinfo/79908

>> No.22041277

>>22040725
It's only possible if you try. I try.

>> No.22041360

>>22040921
You’ve been buck broken by the internet

>> No.22041576

Not like that though because they had leisure time and superior humanistic education. It was easier to save and live off savings back then as well.

>> No.22041585

>>22040873
>>22040921
/classical/ spammers have arrived. You have to go back.

>>22040899
Plebs don't have any right to opinions since it only comes from a place of ignorance. If you want to criticise Wagner learn music theory and listen to more than just two or three famous excerpts.

>> No.22041729
File: 390 KB, 900x1200, Adolph Wagner in 1832.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22041169
Adolph was also close friends with E.T.A Hoffman, Weber and Tieck, and it was remarked that Wagner had inherited his talent for oratory from his uncle. It's possible that, upon Adolph's ideas, Wagner even harboured a minor critique of The Birth of Tragedy, and merely placed it in the words of an acquaintance in a letter to Nietzsche:

>Last evening I read aloud your treatise to our friend. After finishing it, I had the greatest difficulty in quieting her, as she found that you had treated the awe-inspiring names of the great Athenians in a surprisingly modern manner. I was obliged to remind her that the entire character of public address and the present-day elegant manner of book-writing had influenced the traditional style hitherto used in the discussion of the great antique ideals, and that thereby, this had been lowered to the niveau of the methods employed in disposing of transitory modern phenomena. (Mommsen's "Cicero" as feuilletonist occurred to me as I was speaking.) This idea was quickly grasped and accepted as an explanation of the weakness of our age. For my own part, I was terrified by the boldness with which you launched so new an idea, and the concise and categorical manner in which you imparted this idea to a public which has but little inclination for culture.

>> No.22043716

>>22040725
No.