[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 264 KB, 750x907, Walter_Benjamin_vers_1928.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22033966 No.22033966 [Reply] [Original]

Just finished his essay on art in the age of mechanical reproduction. Really enjoyed the the disclosure of insight on art and its untethering from context---aura and all that---although I wondered if he glossed over historical signifiers and how that can encode and/or imbue meaning/information (or perhaps its embodied/extended within the piece itself?). Apologies, that digression on his essay was aggressively reductive.

My knowledge of Benjamin is blurry at best, and I want to proceed, most likely in piecemeal fashion (which will no doubt compound my obfuscations), but I'd be remiss if I didn't say I am unsure where to go next.

I am leaning towards his history essay, and then, inelegantly, going to haphazardly choose by what titles I like, as unjustifiable as that may be. Perhaps someone with a better lay of the land of Benjamin's works could recommend me a better way forward? Thanks.

>> No.22034049

>>22033966

Is that the sixth Marx brother? What's his gimmick?

>> No.22034084

>>22033966
How’s summer school going?

>> No.22034118

>>22033966
7mar sambool kaskoos had ryal bin kalb

>> No.22034149

>>22033966
>nooooo art is only good if it remains the belonging of the upper bourgeoisie who keep real living artists in a state of permanent near-starvation with unique comissions bi-yearly!
>nooooo u can't just have a reproduction of an artwork hanging in your living room, that ruins the context of it, the proper context is it hanging in a museum only accessible to the upper middle class and above!!
>noooooo if you have a reproduction of an artwork it loses its.. it loses its.. its aura, yes, its aura!
>no, not gonna tell you what aura means, just suffice to say it is something super special that only I can see and you definitely will never have it unless your family has the means to pay for original artworks
There is a reason Benjamin is lauded in literature departments and reviled in (quality) philosophy departments.
This man has not produced as much as a single coherent thought, and every single one of his fans I have met so far in my academic career has been an aggressive pseud.
As for you OP, you are asking the correct questions, but because of (fallacious) hero worship, you are qualifiying them by saying they are "reductive". They are not. Benjamin is just a retard, and whenever you find some obvious retort to his thoughts, like you just did, it is not because you have misunderstood him, or failed to appreciate the depths of his genius, it is because he is just fucking retarded.

>> No.22034655

Is One Way Street any good?

>> No.22034674
File: 66 KB, 335x250, hes-right-you-know.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22034149

>> No.22034932

>>22034149
>As for you OP, you are asking the correct questions
There's no way you know what's he's asking. I don't understand and I consider myself to be highly intelligent (much more so than my peers), and I doubt anyone else does because it's just a bunch of gibberish op scrambled together, no doubt with thorough help from a thesaurus and despite trying to sound smart he came across as a try-hard high schooler

>> No.22035545

>>22034932
His question is a fairly standard line of inquiry in the philosophy of art. Gadamer wrote an entire book on it.
I'm sure you consider yourself smarter than your peers though, have fun with that.