[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 72 KB, 715x1100, magic_mountain.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22033839 No.22033839 [Reply] [Original]

I didn't see a Magic Mountain thread this weekend. Maybe I missed it...
Here are some questions:

There is an allusion to place, relationships and time being connected.
"Space, like time, gives birth to forgetfulness, but does so by removing an individual from all relationships and placing him in a free and pristine state"(pg. 4)
>What do you think of the places mentioned and their correlation with time? What about the relationships?

There has been a lot of weird things on the mountain.
"[Joachim's] mouth wrenched in an expression of disgust that seemed both exaggerated and out of control"(pg. 9)
The cough which was described as "[...] if you were looking right down inside and could see it all- the mucus and the slime..."(pg. 12)
"An American woman died here the day before yesterday"(pg. 11)
>What do you make of the strangeness of the people on the mountain?

The grandfather is called a strong conservative and described as dressing old-school, and there is the connection a physical item - the bowl, the past generations.
>What is the author trying to get at by making the grandfather so clearly "stuck in the past"?

It's clear that on this mountain there appears to be some clinic for respiratory diseases. Sputum, the Austrian aristocrat's cough's, his father pneumonia, his grandfather's pneumonia. These are all related to coughing, perhaps there is a connection with (next sentence from the quote on pg. 4) breathing "alien air."
>What do you think of the respiratory ailments? Why would a clinic be in such a high altitude if breathing at higher altitudes is harder?

>> No.22033843
File: 81 KB, 1080x1032, cat-summoning-food.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Also, I have yet to finish all of chapter 2 (I would list excuses but who cares.) Spoilers are fine as this was the agreed upon deadline.

>> No.22034246
File: 31 KB, 500x527, cat-huffin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

On re-read there are a whole load of typo's in the thread. Sorry about that.
Regardless, you guys are either asleep or not reading the book. Hopefully, next week there will be a thread on Sunday.

>> No.22034530

>>22034246
I was looking forward to this thread on Sunday anon. wtf happened

>> No.22034709
File: 165 KB, 1200x1517, mann-with-the-ciggy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22034530
Maybe something happened to the original book club OP. Alas, if there isn't a post next Sunday, I will try to make one.
Anyway, how are you finding the book? How much reading have you done?

>> No.22036272
File: 71 KB, 576x1024, cat-hitting-you-with-a-pokerface.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well, looks like no one answered the questions and there are no progress reports.

Remember, chapter 3 by next Sunday!!

>> No.22036482

>>22034709
sorry, different time zones and shit. Keep in mind that I'm not a critique nor an analyser, so I won't be able to articulate things as good as some other posters. ok the first thing that I want to know is that why the MC laughed so hard after hearing "Psychic dissection"? and what's so funny about it?

>> No.22036486

>>22036272
yes, next Sunday, I've finished chapter 1 so I definitely need to catch up