[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 107 KB, 1024x759, 1683141842479671.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22024789 No.22024789 [Reply] [Original]

Slow Progress Edition

/wg/ AUTHORS & FLASH FICTION: https://pastebin.com/ruwQj7xQ

RESOURCES & RECOMMENDATIONS: https://pastebin.com/nFxdiQvC

Thread Theme: https://youtu.be/6zgjIEEb3wg

Previous thread: >>22018337

>> No.22024812
File: 54 KB, 806x531, 1683830376630603.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22024789
>editorchad running out of whiskey

>> No.22024870

>>22024789
I have a bunch of unfinished projects I won't finish because I have to finish other projects that I haven't finished because I have to finish other projects and so on.
I guess I should just bite the bullet and write one of them to completion, then edit a little and then submit it for it to be pummeled here.

>> No.22024877

>>22024870
Always good to write to completion, so just pick your favorite, go with it, and don’t stop. If it sucks, you’ll know how to fix it in the second draft, or get ideas how to fix it down the line while finishing one of the other ones.

>> No.22024987

>wondering why i couldn't get published
>read it again
>find a misspelt word in literally the first sentence
actually screaming out loud

>> No.22024989

>>22024987
novel or short story?

>> No.22024994

>>22024989
Novel. I'm absolutely anal about editing, not sure how it happened. I feel like killing myself.

>> No.22024997

>>22024994
you pay an editor or do it yourself?

>> No.22025003

>>22024997
myself i'm a broke ass bitch nigger retard faggot
gonna try to cop an addy next time

>> No.22025006
File: 84 KB, 354x350, smuggestakari.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22024987
KEK. If I was a publisher who has to read a million shitty drafts a day and I picked one up and it instantly had a spelling mistake I'd toss it in the trash

>> No.22025118
File: 278 KB, 720x1512, Screenshot_20230513-012640.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22024789
Go ahead.

>> No.22025127

>>22024789
are there any experimental publishers that would publish my 550k+ word debut book in this day and age? Not looking for money, just the ability to say I'm published and to hold in my hands a physical copy of a well made print and maybe have a few niche people online read and talk about it.

>> No.22025152

>>22025118
>word salad garbage
You should mix basic words with your advanced words or it just sounds like crap. Look at that first sentence alone, awful.

>> No.22025155

>>22024994
*anel

>> No.22025178

>>22025118
>The conglomerate of simulated gaseous corpuscles took and influx of potent variability towards higher vibrational levels and it did not falter the stability of the soul just detatched of its physical shell and digitized into the simulation.
"Good God," thought Monolithic Technician Cultist 666, "the author despises the reader."

>> No.22025204

>>22025118
Let's rewrite this sentence so it's fit for human consumption.
>After the intergalactic meeting prolonged for seven standard years occurred on the Gigagalaxy on which the course of action that the Alliance should take concerning the Monolith was over, it was decided that this cult was not a menace.
It had finally been decided, after a great deal of deliberation during the Alliance's seven year meeting concerning the Monolith, that this cult was not a menace.

>> No.22025213

>>22025118
Is this intentional?
It reads like it was written by Francis E. Dec with less rambling.
If it isn't you could enhance its brevity. Maybe streamline the thing.
Unrelated but for the first 4 lines I didn't know if this was going to be a schizo rant or not.
Also nitpicking but it's absolutely unecessary to use four words when you could just use two. I am aware that was probably a conscious choice. But I think it's a retarded one and unless this is characterizing the narrator as an autistic robot you should switch to a more human style of narration. Preferably with less abstruse wording (if you are going to be abstruse with the wording at least get a thesaurus and some old books rather than using four words to say one.)

>> No.22025215

>>22025118
Based word salad, I love it, dial it up more.

>> No.22025222

>>22025213
The four words I'm talking about are
>symbiotic multiversal pacifist conquest
Which I think could be translated to "peaceful unification" or "mutual unification" although I'm not entirely sure.
That entire phrase could be shortened to
>Today was the unification between the Intergalactic alliance and the Monolith and everything was to go perfectly lest two hundred million years of diplomatic dealings between the two largest forces in the universe –excluding the Alpha-Omega, if considered part of this universe or any other– be plunged into the event horizon of a black hole.
It's probably still shit but I tried.

>> No.22025299

>>22025118
You're a nut!
YOU'RE CRAZY IN THE COCONUT!!!

>> No.22025322

Analysing myself this afternoon, I’ve discovered that my stylistic system is based on two principles, and in the best tradition of the best classical writers I immediately uphold these two principles as general foundations of all good style: 1) to express what one feels exactly as it is felt – clearly, if it is clear; obscurely, if obscure; confusedly, if confused – and 2) to understand that grammar is an instrument and not a law.
Let’s suppose there’s a girl with masculine gestures. An ordinary human creature will say, ‘That girl acts like a boy.’ Another ordinary human creature, with some awareness that to speak is to tell, will say, ‘That girl is a boy.’ Yet another, equally aware of the duties of expression, but inspired by a fondness for concision (which is the sensual delight of thought), will say, ‘That boy.’ I’ll say, ‘She’s a boy’, violating one of the basic rules of grammar – that pronouns must agree in gender and number with the nouns they refer to. And I’ll have spoken correctly; I’ll have spoken absolutely, photographically, outside the norm, the accepted, the insipid. I won’t have spoken, I’ll have told.
In establishing usage, grammar makes valid and invalid divisions. For example, it divides verbs into transitive and intransitive. But a man who knows how to say what he says must sometimes make a transitive verb intransitive so as to photograph what he feels instead of seeing it in the dark, like the common lot of human animals. If I want to say I exist, I’ll say, ‘I am.’ If I want to say I exist as a separate entity, I’ll say, ‘I am myself.’ But if I want to say I exist as an entity that addresses and acts on itself, exercising the divine function of self-creation, then I’ll make to be into a transitive verb. Triumphantly and anti-grammatically supreme, I’ll speak of ‘amming myself’. I’ll have stated a philosophy in just two words. Isn’t this infinitely preferable to saying nothing in forty sentences? What more can we demand from philosophy and diction?
Let grammar rule the man who doesn’t know how to think what he feels. Let it serve those who are in command when they express themselves. It is told of Sigismund, King of Rome,* that when someone pointed out a grammatical mistake he had made in a speech, he answered, ‘I am King of Rome, and above all grammar.’ And he went down in history as Sigismund super-grammaticam. A marvellous symbol! Every man who knows how to say what he has to say is, in his way, King of Rome. The title is royal, and the reason for it is imperial.*

- Fernando pessoa

>> No.22025329
File: 55 KB, 643x500, 122524326711.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22024789
Good job on remembering the theme this time slow progression OP.
>i also progress slowly.
>But i still progress.

>> No.22025410

>>22025118
Fancy word salad can be good but you need to get extremely pedantic about word choice and grammar and structure to pull it off.
You need some sort of punctuation to separate "falter" from "the stability". "stability" doesn't seem like the right word to begin with, maybe use a thesaurus to hunt for a more appropriate one. ' "Good", ' should have the comma before the last quotation mark, not after.

>> No.22025420
File: 115 KB, 640x1007, 1683713808844463.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22024789
I want to get back into writing but I literally have no clue. I used to write shitty fantasy stories when I was little, but even then I felt no creative impulse. There are issues that I want to put into words but creating stories always feels cringy and bad, and I have no real clue on the stories I want to create

>> No.22025435

>>22025322
The only reason to follow grammatical rules—and it's a huge, ever-important reason, but it's the only one—is to avoid distracting and confusing your reader. Correct grammar is the default, a violation is an aberration that draws attention to itself.
Breaking the rules is like shouting "hey, over here!". It's fine if and only if there's something worthwhile to look at.

>> No.22025468

>>22025118
Continuing, this time from the PC:

And suddenly she knew why she would have to comply with Satan. The beast was subtle in the revelation of his blackmail scheme: just as he could turn off the barrier preventing Nina from visualizing Hell as it genuinely was, easily he could turn off the barrier preventing her from being dragged to its never-ending carnival of sorrow like any victim of sacrifice would normally do.
Both of them float inside this perverse Ouroboros of excruciation, alienated from the communal fuckfest of pain. Trying to contain her fear by focusing on her anger, the girl asks the beast spitting disgust and fearful of mentioning her doubt concerning Christ’s involvement with the Deep State when there certainly are many conspiracies still to be unraveled:
– How are we to proceed now, faggot?
Satan gives no importance to the girl’s manners and instead tinkers with a panel that appeared out of thin air by his hand command. He says:
– Yahweh’s soul was encased on a portable digi-simulacrum for billions of years until this Hell matrix was coded. Then he was released here together with the zillions of aliens and humans that kept failing to escape the Unchaining and never accepted Christ as their savior after their deaths. Therefore the nails that torment your father's soul are closer than you imagine, here, digitized just like we are, and subsumed into Yahweh’s soul. But in order to search for these nails, first we need to have a clear understanding of their nature in order to program our search parameters with the specific characteristics that can shed light on their whereabouts, for it would be impossible for me in my natural position to run a search routine with minimal hopes of success when I have no idea what I am looking for, enmeshed in zillions of other nails of torment from aliens diverse.

>> No.22025610
File: 98 KB, 655x602, fun!.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Something I'm writing right now.

>> No.22025628

Have you guys submitted to &amp?

>> No.22025671
File: 437 KB, 2432x1600, 1682753972893675.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22025628
Why the hell would i submit to something that is more concerned with getting an entry into the encyclopedia dramatic then putting out quality?

>> No.22025688

i'm definitely going to start writing (for real) this time

>> No.22025727

Which should I work on today?
>the short story
>the novella
>the no-budget screenplay
>the high-budget screenplay
>start something new

>> No.22025736

>>22025727
start something new

>> No.22025743

>>22025727
>>22025736
>start something new
always

>> No.22025748

how do you specify characters in your stories are NOT niggers without it sticking out,

last thing I would have ever wanted if it ever got somehow miraculously popular is some redditartcunt latching onto my work tainting my children with the potrayal of them as niggers

>> No.22025753

>>22025748
They'll want to cast a nigger even more if you specially mention that they're not. Don't worry too much though, your shit will never get that popular

>> No.22025755

>>22025743
>>22025736
Guess I'm never finishing anything

>> No.22025830
File: 378 KB, 1224x1632, hangery.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

To the anon waiting for my review last thread, sorry I feel asleep before I could post this. Already put on GR:

Nesmer has outdone himself with "I Pray to the Hungry God." True to his style, this book is dark and gritty, and the most disturbing story he has told to date. It follows a child soldier named Nsengi and his quest for revenge against his brother, bringing him into war in the Congo in the late 90s. But this story is not about heroism, rather it is a horrific journey that destroys his mind and creates a monster within him. It has three parts and shows us the perspective of both brothers. Nesmer utilizes quotation marks purposefully to alter perception, isolating Nsengi and also eroding his identity. The imagery of poverty, war and evil ritual is haunting, the ending is tragic and Nsengi's growing hunger culminates to a new understanding of life.
It's helpful I think to contrast this story with "Eggplant" which was Nesmer's first novel and was lauded as an inspiration for amateur writers online. "I Pray to the Hungry God" has almost no clumsy paragraphs. The writing has clear energy and a consistent, harrowing voice that illustrates the violent, grotesque and absurd. The symbol of the cut-up face is even more iconic than the cuttlefish in "Eggplant". The events that take place rarely pass by the reader like a freakshow, they torment the reader and twist the characters until they break.
This novel is something special and if you didn't believe Nesmer had talent before, you ought to believe it now. I look forward to the next one.

Also would note that Zulu Alitspa has another take on this book. He thinks it's less clear and not as great as Eggplant was, but he did seem impressed with part 3. I kind of get the perspective from his review, but personally this second book hit me way harder. At any rate, /lit/ be writin.

>> No.22025863
File: 15 KB, 450x675, FbHPt0KVEAAAG0N.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

In the unfathomable expanse of an alien universe, The Prometheus, a gargantuan ship, drifts silently. Its inhabitants: the last remnants of Earth's civilization, the Nefier. Born from a thousand years of relentless conflict on Earth, they emerged as the victors, their reward the ability to summon The Prometheus and escape the dying world.

This is not a journey of exploration; it is an exodus, an escape from an exhausted world, a quest for survival. The Nefier are not merely travelers; they are refugees, the last children of a weary Earth, bearing the scars and wisdom of a millennium-long battle.

Within the cold metal confines of The Prometheus, the echoes of Earth's past conflicts reverberate. Discord breeds in the claustrophobic corridors, tearing at the fragile unity of the Nefier. Yet, it is this internal strife that leads to a profound discovery - a cryptic instruction from their ancestors, a roadmap to their cosmic odyssey.

The truth that unravels challenges their understanding of existence. It is a truth as intricate and elusive as a virus, replicating and mutating, subtly hinting at the cyclic dance of life and death. Earth was but a nurturing cell, its purpose to prepare them, to thrust them forward into a new universe, a new existence.

As they approach Gaia II, a virgin planet in an uncharted universe, they must reconcile their past with their future, their struggles with their purpose. 'The Exodus of Civilizations' is a somber odyssey, a journey through the darkness, a testament to humanity's resilience and the relentless cycle of existence. This is not just about a civilization's journey from one planet to another, or even from one universe to another, but a voyage of transformation from the ashes of the past to the promise of the future.

>> No.22025865

>>22025753
never thought that big, but the shit I am currently focused on are stories inside warhammer 40k universe for practice as I just like it, but it is also asking itself for being tainted by unironically reddit

>> No.22025877
File: 269 KB, 1095x1195, 1606931112228.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm writing this piece in first person limited and I'm having a hard time figuring out when to just show things and when to give some degree of tell.

Showing feels more poetic and elegant, whereas telling feels like I'm dumbing things down for the reader sometimes. But without it, it feels like I'm communicating very, very little about my main character and that a lot of what they feel and think is not coming through.
To give a more precise example, I'm dealing with a scene in which my main character is going through a sort of existential crisis, but they're keeping it all inside, living their day as usual while contemplating life around them.
Telling what they're feeling inside seems kinda inevitable and necessary for the most part because otherwise things will seem too vague. I don't want to force cryptic dialogue for the sake of showing, but I don't want to force knowledge on the reader either.

How to proceed?

>> No.22025912

>>22025628
Yes. I wrote an essay about American Psycho that will be in 016.

>> No.22025917

>>22025877
There's nothing wrong about just saying how a character is feeling. Just be sure to make it concrete and vivid. E.g., this beautiful passage from DH Lawrence's The Rainbow:

>Will Brangwen had some weeks of holiday after his marriage, so the two took their honeymoon in full hands, alone in their cottage together.

>And to him, as the days went by, it was as if the heavens had fallen, and he were sitting with her among the ruins, in a new world, everybody else buried, themselves two blissful survivors, with everything to squander as they would. At first, he could not get rid of a culpable sense of licence on his part. Wasn’t there some duty outside, calling him and he did not come?

>It was all very well at night, when the doors were locked and the darkness drawn round the two of them. Then they were the only inhabitants of the visible earth, the rest were under the flood. And being alone in the world, they were a law unto themselves, they could enjoy and squander and waste like conscienceless gods.

>But in the morning, as the carts clanked by, and children shouted down the lane; as the hucksters came calling their wares, and the church clock struck eleven, and he and she had not got up yet, even to breakfast, he could not help feeling guilty, as if he were committing a breach of the law—ashamed that he was not up and doing.

>“Doing what?” she asked. “What is there to do? You will only lounge about.”

>Still, even lounging about was respectable. One was at least in connection with the world, then. Whereas now, lying so still and peacefully, while the daylight came obscurely through the drawn blind, one was severed from the world, one shut oneself off in tacit denial of the world. And he was troubled.

>> No.22026002
File: 139 KB, 1024x769, 1625346724363.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Au_oI3iBM&ab_channel=t%C2%A1red

Writing primer

>> No.22026135

I think I am going to try my hand at writing something a bit more literary and cerebral. It will technically be far future science fiction, but the MC intentionally removed his own memories that he is a terra former and the one responsible for designing all the strange machinery dotting the landscape around him. He got everything set up and running with a few dozen robust AIs to take care of everything, then froze his memories so that he could live not as a near-immortal space man but as a farmer with a wife and kids.

It should be the perfect pastoral life, but he finds himself haunted with the doubt that he is somehow living a lie, that everything will fall apart on him because there's something he doesn't understand.

If anyone has some reading suggestions for me, I'm all ears. Bit backlogged, but this is the kind of story worth writing, then rewriting from a blank page after I've roughly explored the ideas of the world, so it's probably a 2 year project.

>> No.22026172

What are the best books to read to learn to write humor that appeals to both kids and their parents? Nothing crass or disgusting.

>> No.22026181

>>22026172
Humor is irrational, any book that proposes to teach you how to be funny is a scam

>> No.22026216

>>22026181
No it's not. There are a few ways to get to laughter but they are all based on incongruity between expectation and reality.

>> No.22026221

>>22026216
Bullshit. I expect you to be a faggot yet it still makes me laugh.

>> No.22026224

>>22026181
If you take your favorite piece of humor writing and really pay attention you'll find all kinds of commonalities between its jokes

>> No.22026249

>>22025917
Reading that actually gave me some clarity. I think I know how I want to present information in this particular case, ty anon

>> No.22026252

>>22024789
>picture

YAMEROOOO

>> No.22026287

>>22024789
Delete this image.

>> No.22026313

>>22026224
And if you try to apply those commonalities you'll make something trite, contrived, and unfunny

>> No.22026319

>>22026313
Sure, it takes more than just mortar to build a wall. But it'll sharpen your creative instincts and it can be useful as a jumping-off point.

>> No.22026325

>>22025863
So will it be a best seller or no? Pls respond

>> No.22026336

>>22026325
I mean it could be good but honestly the description sounds pretty generic. You've got to make it more clear what sets it apart from just being another "survivors of earth on a ship" story.
Also, do you mean "galaxy" when you say "universe"? If you do mean universe you're getting into another dimension, and you should probably play that up.

>> No.22026339

>>22026325
Human resilience is a meme.
Mtebgood/10.

>> No.22026342

>>22026325
Not responding to your post but that title is awful

>> No.22026363

Do you guys remember YOUNG-HAE CHANG HEAVY INDUSTRIES? (all caps in the original)
They made text videos, a handful of words per second following basic jazzy songs. At the time I really liked it and wanted to steal the idea, but I saw their stuff again and it feels like the worst form to present your work.

>> No.22026364

>>22026325
Does scifi fantasy general look at anon's writing? You might have feedback there. I don't how many anons read scifi often here.
Also the idea mite be cool, but if it's a blurb it's very long for one. And also it's not clear to me what is interesting about how the scifi is different from another scifi except a very vague sense of multigenerational conflict. I got no idea how the technology or the new planet or new ideas play a part in this reconciliation you mentioned. Will you concretely describe a precipitating event for the conflict, or is that event just leaving the planet? So unless I just really love the idea of humanity refounding on another planet, which is certainly a story scifi readers have heard before, I am tempted to skip it in favor of something with a stronger hook.

>> No.22026365

>>22026325
Could be good? It all depends on the execution.
I do think your pitch takes it about 20% too seriously. Don't tell the reader that it's really profound, just hint at the sort of things they'll find inside so they can decide whether they're curious. (Be aware that not everybody will find it interesting no matter how good it is.)
It doesn't sound like the Book of Exodus nor like the Odyssey, and and the civilizations (plural) aren't apparent in your description. Be careful with those words.

>> No.22026409

>>22026325
Don't describe your work as the blurb in the back of the book, that's psycho. If you want people to have a proper opinion maybe give us a five sentence synopsis or a general pitch. I can't tell if it's good or bad just from the author saying it's
> a somber odyssey, a journey through the darkness, a testament to humanity's resilience and the relentless cycle of existence
Fuck you, that's the only feedback I can give to someone describing their work in progress that way. Go fuck yourself.

>> No.22026421

>>22026363
Thanks for introducing me to this guy. I'm liking his stuff a lot.

>it feels like the worst form to present your work
Well, it seems like the text is specifically made to fit the form. So it's not really that they're using the form to present a separate text. It's like the form is an excuse to riff a bunch of funny ideas while still maintaining coherency. I think it's smart.

>> No.22026437

>>22026325
Adding on to what others have said, don't tell the reader how profound and thoughtful your own work is. That's pretentious as fuck, and more than not means it's not actually good.
If it is actually profound, the readers will realize that themselves. Or if it becomes a success, quotes and reviews on the back cover will tell them that.
The description and blurb is just to get people to pick up the book, so you've got to tell them why it's interesting right off the bat. You didn't do that with that blurb, so chances are people won't pick it up.

>> No.22026438

>>22026421
>Thanks for introducing me to this guy. I'm liking his stuff a lot.
I'm pretty sure it's a variety of authors. Not only for the tone and quality shift, I think I read them crediting different people. Maybe it's a collective, no clue.

They have like 1 or 2 stories that are sincerely good and interesting, but it's hard to really apreciate them three words at the time.

>> No.22026440
File: 94 KB, 1069x670, excerpt.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Coomers, your thoughts?

>> No.22026448
File: 81 KB, 960x960, Leonardo_Diffusion_humanoid_insect_body_horror_trenchcoat_fe_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm 1/3 into my CYOA/book RPG story. I've been pretty content with the results so far.

>> No.22026466

>>22026440
>"Password," he said, not looking up.
>"Fuck," Hannah replied.
what a shitty password for a sex dungeon

>> No.22026478

>>22026466
This, the password should be "oral cumshot"

>> No.22026480
File: 230 KB, 464x464, 7.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22026466

>> No.22026512

>>22026336
>>22026339
>>22026342
>>22026364
>>22026365
>>22026409
>>22026437

Thanks for the feedback guys. It was written by GPT4 based on this idea I was thinking about where the only civilizations remaining on Earth are those that haven't yet made the leap to escape the Earth. For example the ancient Egyptians had figured it out and escaped and that's why they are no longer here... anyway maybe I can get chatGPT to write the whole book page by page because I am dyslexic and can't write for shit

>> No.22026522

>>22026512
GPT-4 can probably write a whole novel at this point, but remember, the USCO has already ruled that AI-generated work can't be copyrighted–they consider it equivalent to "work for hire".

>> No.22026525

After getting my asshole reamed and my blurb destroyed, I rewrote it. Would this make you read this book?

>After her team disappears from the forest, Adah embarks on a mission to find them. However, a simple missing peoples case turns into one that becomes far larger. A single clue propels her on a quest where she discovers someone is turning humans into monsters. But who could have this knowledge? How did they do it? And more importantly, why? As she unravels the mystery, she finds the culprit to be much closer to her than she knew.

>> No.22026529

>>22026440
Not horny enough (already jerked off today) or well-read enough to appraise this but I do have some small comments
>Hawkins' maze-like basement always amazed me for its hidden alcoves and passages
"Maze-like" sets up the end of the sentence, making it less amazing. I think it's stronger if you leave that out.
>We seemed magnetic as I felt the bodies of others crowd around us.
After the first three words I thought they acted like magnets on each other, so I had to do a double-take when I read the rest of the sentence.
Not sure if "bodies of" pulls its weight. And "I felt" is one of those fragments that can usually be left out since they're implied.
So maybe something like "Others crowded around us as though we were magnetic"? Or drop the magnetism metaphor
>One, like an erotic mermaid, had the upper half of a woman and the lower half of a man
Are we talking hairy legs and everything? If so then emphasize that because that's actually pretty interesting, but if it's just the crotch region then I'm not sure the metaphor works
>more of a warrior in battle
"in battle" seems superfluous

>> No.22026531

>>22026512
>Chat-GPT
No wonder it was so bland. I only use that to write cover letters for job applications

>> No.22026539

>>22026440
I liked the intro. Tightly and unpretentiously written. But I gave up about halfway through because I don't really care about descriptions of endless fucking.

One thing that bugged me (other than the dumb password, as another anon mentioned) was this:
>The darkness was blanket. The darkness was intoxicating. The darkness made us feel free.
Too self-consciously 'poetic', imo.

What's the setting, by the way? The guard's outfit threw me off -- is it actually historical/fantastical or is he just wearing a costume?

>> No.22026540

>>22026512
>Moooooooooommmmmmmmm I posted it again!!! I'm gonna get so many replies, it's gonna be so cash.

>> No.22026544

>>22026512
Write yourself you dumb fuck
I don't care if you're dyslexic or not. Even if it's shit it'll be better than AI garbage

>> No.22026561

>>22026525
Seems like your blurb contains plot spoilers.
Also, what is "peoples"? Are you trying tomake a plural word even more plural?
It's "a missing-persons case", anyway.

>> No.22026568
File: 371 KB, 500x375, 1526859162527.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>a dozen people reply to some obviously AI-generated trash
>nobody responds to my writing

>> No.22026569
File: 72 KB, 1200x630, nvidia-a100.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22026544
Still seething about AI, are you?
Wow...it must have pierced you right to the core of your insecure self-image.
To think you were so easily made obsolete by...this.

>> No.22026579

>>22026568
because the AI has more obvious errors and its more satisfying to ones own ego to point those out instead of combing through a work with errors that are more subtle and subjective
just assuming, idk what your writing even is

>> No.22026582
File: 21 KB, 349x305, 1509502169214.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've made a few calculations and it seems I'll be able to keep my current WIP within 120K words (maybe a bit longer/shorter depending on editing, but definitely not beyond 130K)
I think that's pretty alright for a debut sci-fi or fantasy novel, though I wish I managed to keep it around 100K
I'm pretty happy about it, which makes me suspicious because good things never go unpunished
Maybe i'll start giving this shit to some betareaders

>> No.22026588
File: 59 KB, 614x525, 1474856539851.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22026569
Made obsolete? Everyone shit on that blurb. Even the people trying to be helpful said it wasn't good. No one's insecure or scared, they're just annoyed that you're shitting up a thread that should be about people being productive in their craft.
Go spam /g/ or something, this is a board for artists.

>> No.22026597

>>22026561
Peoples is a proper word but not in that sentence, it should be persons.

>> No.22026606

>>22026597
"The word people means a collective group of human beings belonging to a particular/specific nation, community or ethnicity. The word peoples, on the other hand, means the same as 'people' but it's used to denote groups of people belonging to different communities, ethnicities, religions, nationalities, etc."
Unless an entire ethnicity disappeared, "peoples" is not the right word to use here.
Just trying to help.

>> No.22026609

>>22026588
Using AI properly would make you VERY productive in your craft.
You could probably churn out a Stephen King thriller, or a Nora Roberts romance, in about 10 minutes.
GPT-4 could probably even blend the two together in ways you never thought of.

>> No.22026614

>>22026609
That's just slamming pieces of other works together, with zero input of your own style or ideas
Can't really see anything original or compelling coming out of that, but if your aim is quantity go off I guess I'm sure there's people who put even less effort in

>> No.22026627

>>22026614
Really? So you wouldn't hand-edit the AI's output? You would just use it as-is?
Because I can't even imagine doing that.
It sounds to me like you've never used AI text/image generation in your life, and are literally speaking from ignorance.
You may want to brush up on your survivalist skills.
Given what the world will look like by the end of the year, you may want to go live with the Amish.

>> No.22026635

>22026609
Such a braindead techbro take you don't even get a (you). Maybe people don't want to mass-produce garbage, ever think of that?

>> No.22026644

>>22026627
What's the point then? Just write it yourself, it's going to take basically the same amount of time as editing the entire thing to fit your personal style and it would feel much more enjoyable
I genuinely don't see the need for AI, to me it feels completely useless in this field

>> No.22026646

>>22026635
Why not?
Mass-producing popular garbage is very profitable.
Once you've made your fortune, you can go produce all the pretentious "art" you like.
It's what Todd Rundgren did.

>> No.22026648
File: 293 KB, 720x1128, chatgpt-replaces-ghostwriter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22026644
You're whistling past the graveyard.
Don't you see? I'm trying to help you!
Left to your own devices, you'll be blindsided by this.

>> No.22026650
File: 114 KB, 844x1702, 2q1eqxwunpwa1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I want to have dense, vivid detail, but I also want to have explosive forward momentum.

>> No.22026651

>>22026606
I just said it was incorrect in that context. Don't correct my correction with the exact same correction.

>> No.22026653

I'm new here, so sorry for asking, but are these threads always like this? This AI discussion feels really off-topic

>> No.22026654

>AI-Bro doesn't understand supply and demand
Many such cases. Sad!
Anyways, stop giving the fag (you)s. If there's a post about AI, just don't engage.

>> No.22026655

>>22026650
One feeds the other, you can only create dynamism through contrast

>> No.22026657

>>22026512
The ancient Egyptians are gone because like all cultures, their culture was eroded by time. But it was the longest running civilization without collapse probably of all time, even resisting the Bronze Age collapse and only became a mere society as Greek civ waxed in influence. Mostly due because they prepared themselves for disasters (especially food storage) instead of running away from them or ignoring them.
Also Sun Ra aesthetic (if you really are determined to portray Egypt and space together) is an actual book genre called Afro-futurism. People actually write kangz scifi and people buy it.

>> No.22026659

>>22026653
It's a single shitter who tries to derail threads and newfags who respond to him. He doesn't understand anything about writing as a craft, has a tenuous grasp on writing as a business, and 90% of the time he focuses on images and not even writing.
Just don't respond.

>> No.22026660

>>22026648
Lol learn to plunge.

>> No.22026670

>>22026561
>Also, what is "peoples"?
A people. The French.
Two peoples. The French and English.
Two persons. A French guy and an English guy.

>> No.22026677

>>22025610
What's going on between line 2 and 3? I can't parse it.
You're mixing past and present tense, stick to one or the other.
>Home Economics class should have one, from where my feet are planted [...]
The comma feels wrong, a period would work better.
>Empty, my shoes fell and hit the ground. The collision echoed very loud and made me jump in fright.
This could be shorter without losing much information or flavor, e.g.
>My empty shoes hit the ground. The echo made me jump.
Right now it's too awkward and confusing to follow, mainly because of the mixed tense and the overly ambitious sentences. If you tightened it up I think it could hook me. It just needs a lot of editing. Keep going!

>> No.22026680

>>22026648

how are you bitching at someone who has a job for being replaced by AI when the entire continent of africa dies within six hours without welfare

>> No.22026686

>>22026670
I remember one time Fred Durst used this term correctly and illiterates laughed at him thinking he was the retard.

>> No.22026689

>>22026654
And yet you keep engaging.
Because, deep down, under all the layers of denial, you know I'm trying to help you.
But being replaced by a machine is more than your ego can handle, so you shoot the messenger.
Yet another human flaw that machines hopefully won't have.
You make yourself obsolete.
>>22026660
Plunge? Is that a typo?

>> No.22026692

>>22026680
Sub-Saharan Africans can literally pick food from trees. They're practically children living in the Garden Of Eden.
Continent-wide, there is also very little in the way of functioning government.
What is this African "welfare" you speak of?

>> No.22026693

>>22026689
>Plunge? Is that a typo?
No, read the image speedy.

>> No.22026697

>>22026693
Did you mean "plumb", speedy?
You fancy yourself a writer, yet you're illiterate.
No wonder you seethe about AI–you know you're not worthy.

>> No.22026698

>>22026529
thanks bruv

>>22026539
the setting is

>> No.22026707
File: 183 KB, 1200x1200, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22026697
Both words work. Plunge is probably better, since it's simpler and more demeaning work than messing with pipes.

>> No.22026713

>>22026707
But I don't write for a living. I have a STEM career, mostly revolving around replacing people with machines.
Also, who hires someone to work a plunger? People can do that themselves.

>> No.22026727

>>22026692
dumb fuck then if they can just pick food from trees then why does anyone have "jobs" at all except that the homosexual mafia running the vatican demands interest payments

>> No.22026729

>>22026713
>replacing people with machines.
>people can do that themselves.

>> No.22026737

>>22026713
Please just get an AI to both read and write every post for you, it'll improve the quality of your shitposting.

>> No.22026741

>>22026713
Are you writing CRUD apps or finetuning models or what? What technology do you work with?

>> No.22026743

>>22026561
Oh good I went from the blurb being complete utter shit to a spelling mistake. I think I'm moving on up.

>> No.22026754

>>22026727
So sub-Saharan Africans, living a tribal existence in the middle of the jungle, have jobs that require them to go into debt with international financiers?
Have you ever considered the real problem is that you're schizo?
>>22026729
There's literally no reason to build a plunging machine.
Though the "pipe snake" already exists.
Do you really find spotting these sorts of differences to be so challenging?
You're practically self-parodying at this point.
No wonder you're so threatened by AI...it's a consequence of how little you've achieved, or could ever achieve.

>> No.22026770

>>22026754
https://archive.org/details/empire-of-dust_DVD_Quality

>> No.22026775

>>22026737
So now you're advocating for the use of AI to write?
Finally...you're seeing the light.
Just a glimmer, but this is progress.
>>22026741
At this point in my career, I do research & development.
I work with whatever technology I can get my hands on.
As soon as it does something useful, they take it away from me, turn it into a product, and I'm off to invent something else.
Such is the nature of R&D.
And AI is just one of many things I mess with.
I'm excited by generative AI like Stable Diffusion and ChatGPT, since they're giant leaps over what came before.
I remember being impressed by adversarial networks learning to play chess by playing thousand and thousands of games against each other. That was maybe a year ago.
Compared to what's possible now, it seems almost childish.

>> No.22026779

>>22026775
>I work with whatever technology I can get my hands on.
Like what? You gotta have a specialty, or at least some examples.

>> No.22026781

>>22026770
Yeah, the Chinese are going through Hell trying to exploit Africa.
It's not working out very well for them, is it.

>> No.22026791

>>22026779
I don't have a specialty. Specialties are for lesser engineers.
My real skill is being able to absorb knowledge quickly & do something useful with it. I'm an information sponge.
On average, it takes me about six months from first learning about a subject, to being considered the company's/department's expert on that subject. (Which, in my mind, says more about my slothful co-workers than me, but that's been the pattern at all of my jobs.)
And I obviously can't give you many examples, since most of them are company confidential.
But one subject I work on, which has become public knowledge, is referred to generally as "digital first officer", i.e making it possible to fly an aircraft with one pilot instead of two. Pilots cost a lot of money and are in short supply. AI is a big part of that effort.

>> No.22026797

>>22026779
This fag is a textbook troll. He probably cares more about derailing the threads than he does actual AI technology, and certainly more than he does writing.
If jannies arent going to ban him for that we just need people to stop responding to him. He's making this general unusable.

>> No.22026800

>>22026797
Yeah, my bad, I thought the response would be funnier. I'll go back to ignoring him.

>> No.22026803

>>22026775
you retarded, evil degenerate, you know that only humans possess a soul processor and AI does not

>> No.22026817

>>22026781
>try to build a road for the monkeys so they don't accidentally starve themselves to death
>"exploit africa"

>> No.22026824

>>22026803
Some humans possess souls.
The vast majority of people are hylics. They're little better than automatons.
Also...it's my understanding that souls interface with brains; contrary to rational-atheist scientific consensus, the brain is neither the center of consciousness, nor is it the center of intelligence. It's more like a switchboard.
I've seen demonstrations of a sensor-filled hat that allowed its wearer to fly an aircraft. That was years ago. And that's a toy compared to what I think is possible.
>retarded, evil degenerate
Projection. I'm obviously a useful, functioning member of society, while you're just some shut-in seether, sponging off the efforts of others in order to survive.
Just remember what happens to the parasites when they succeed in killing the host.

>> No.22026827

>>22026824
>I'm obviously a useful, functioning member of society

Which makes you evil, because this fallen world is quite literally famous throughout the multiverse for being a mistake, an abomination, a crime against God

>> No.22026830

>>22026817
No, the roads are so Chinese can exploit Africa's mineral wealth, especially oil, gas, and rare-earth metals.
Tribal Africans can feed themselves through wild game and picking food from trees.
Referring to Africans as "monkeys" is blatantly racist, and mostly serves to reveal what an awful person you are. As if that was a secret.

>> No.22026833

>>22026830
>MUH RACISS

Yes, we get it, you're an employee of the Crown. Glad that you're still following their style guide. Shame about this world ending, you'll have to go be gay somewhere else

>> No.22026835

>>22026827
You do a lot of drugs, don't you.
You actually think your hallucinations are genuine ascended experiences.
I don't need to tell you how pathetic that is.

>> No.22026843

>>22026835
you must be very proud of the school shooting-themed rape dungeon you dare call a planet

>> No.22026854

>writing a story where 90% of the cast is in the dark about any knowledge of anything
>realize that I need to write long drawn out descriptions for basic things like "pyramid" or "vase" or "cooked food" or "grass" or "snow" because nobody has words for these things they have no experience with
I know defamiliarization is an entire well-developed writing style, but I wonder if zi didn't fuck up here.

>> No.22026855

>>22026843
No, I think it's crap.
But it doesn't have to be that way. It's the people that make it crap.
So working to replace them with AI is one of the most merciful things I can do with my time and effort.
The planet might even return to its former state of a bountiful garden, if only it can be scrubbed of its useless, seething parasites.
Then there will be no more school shootings, rape dungeons, or NEETs.

>> No.22026856

I gotta start writing soon, can't stop daydreaming about my story and can't get my mind into reading other books cuz I trail off and then I'm completely lost.
As someone that may start writing soon, any advice for someone that comes from a hellhole of a country whose literacy revolve about licking the boot to Realismo Mágico genre or other stuff that are forced to read in school?

>> No.22026863

>>22026833
>employee of the Crown
Are you referring to this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_servant
I don't work for the government. I have before, though.
I encountered nothing but stifling bureaucracy, hideous incompetence, and outright corruption.
Literally nothing worth preserving.

>> No.22026865
File: 868 KB, 498x211, earf.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22026855
>scout ship observes earth
>british agents are violating the nuremberg code on live TV
>push button

>> No.22026866

What are the worst fantasy tropes? The ones that should be avoided at all costs?

>> No.22026872

>>22026865
Why slaughter all the innocent plants and animals?
Are you admitting to being a psychopath?

>> No.22026875

>>22026872
>the people committing intergalactic war crimes are calling someone on a writing forum a psychopath

>> No.22026881

>>22026866
The only place where fantasy writers fail is by thinking in terms of tropes and not in terms of archetypal mythical storytelling. The power of fantasy as a genre is that it taps into an extremely deep cultural memory that the reader is unaware of yet simultaneously finds familiar and comforting. Read The Hero with a Thousand Faces.

>> No.22026886
File: 388 KB, 1200x1838, phantom-tollbooth-norton-juster.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22026866
This is probably too much to hope for, but...frankly, swords-and-sorcery in general is the most overdone fantasy trope.
There's no reason fantasy has to be limited to that.
One of the best fantasy books I ever read was "The Phantom Tollbooth" by Norton Juster.
The fantasy genre allows the author to create any sort of world imaginable; they don't even have to be scientifically plausible.
Yet so many fall back on bad Lord Of The Rings ripoffs.
Try doing something different.

>> No.22026888

>>22026881
>tropes
>archetypal mythical storytelling
What do you see as the difference?

>> No.22026893

>>22026866
The supernatural. Violence.

>> No.22026900

>>22026875
>intergalactic war crimes
You are NOT in touch with intergalactic ethics, morals, or law, and you know it.
You're just an average everyday schizo who's ruined his mind with solitude and powerful drugs.
If AI leads to a world where hylics and other school-shooter/rape-dungeon types are exterminated, and intelligent, hard-working, ethical people can thrive, how is that evil? How it it even vaguely evil?
If you think technology itself is evil, then stop using it to seethe on this forum, and go join the Amish. They also have very rigid views of good and evil; you may feel at home with them. As an extra bonus, you probably smell as ripe as they do.

>> No.22026906

>>22026886
>Some guy tryna trick me read a Dr Seusse book about a gay nigga in a turtleneck

>> No.22026908

>>22026900

>schizo

Aww, what are you going to do next? Nail me to a cross? We've all seen this episode before

>> No.22026910

>>22026888
A trope is an emergent quality of writing. Once you've destroyed all the evidence of your study of culture and study of humanity and experimentation with style and form and developed intuition for compelling storytelling, what you are left with might be considered a trope by a reader—or it might not. You cannot walk backwards from a trope into good writing.

>> No.22026912

>>22026856
Remember that the only way to get any results is to do. Instead of preparing to write, just write.

>> No.22026927
File: 331 KB, 1920x1080, countess.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have not worked on my novel in 8 days. The days are slipping away.

>> No.22026936

>>22026692
The west, especially the US, sends hundreds of billions of dollars of aid to Africa every year. Shut the fuck up.

>> No.22026938

>>22026927
crazy how a few days becomes a week becomes a month and then years are going by and you're 28 and have been telling yourself "this is the year I'm going to buckle down and get it done" since you were 19. Maybe it's time to just get the wife pregnant and see if that flicks on enough switches in my brain that I stop thinking about how lazy and worthless I am.

>> No.22026955

>>22026906
The guy in the turtleneck is a child, and I don't recall sex being mentioned, or even alluded to, in the book.
Do you literally just make up awful things to think about other people and things? How banal.
And yet, somehow, you think I'm the problem here.
>>22026908
Why bother? You just sit in your little room and seethe online. You're no threat. You're completely feckless.
>>22026936
And Africa doesn't want it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=african+aid+please+just+stop
Not that you've actually looked into the subject, or educated yourself in the ways of the world in any meaningful sense. Typical hylic.

>> No.22026968

>>22026955
>You're no threat.

Of course I'm no threat you fucking imbecile, we're all geometric fragments of the same entity. Are you a child?

>> No.22026974

>>22026955
>educate yourself, they don't want it
they sure ain't slapping on a "return to sender" label, dingus troon

>> No.22026992

>>22026974
As if average, everyday people have any control over how organized, corrupt thugs exploit outside "aid" to boost their own power.
You didn't read a single article found by that Google search, did you.
You're almost proud to be ignorant.

>> No.22026995

>>22026992
how many s-ybeans do you eat

>> No.22026996

>>22026968
Then, why were you so concerned about being nailed to a cross?
Do you just make up random, disconnected crap all day long, and expect others to be too dumb to see right through it?
Stupid troll.

>> No.22027017

>>22026968
>child
GUYS
IT'S PATRICK TOMLINSON
HE'S HERE

>> No.22027045

>>22026996
humans are insufferable, no wonder nobody comes here

>> No.22027072
File: 101 KB, 498x498, 1661542974181808.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My character needs to speak another language in my book, should I spell it out phonetically or should I write it in that language?

>> No.22027090

>>22027072
whatevers easiest. if the individual words aren't of critical importance you could simply describe how it sounds

>> No.22027091

>>22027072
Does your narrator/viewpoint character recognize the language?

>> No.22027183

>>22026995
Really? You think that's a point?
You're a master of deflection. Too bad that's not a good thing.
>>22027017
I would imagine someone as successful as Patrick Tomlinson would be better at discourse than this seething pseud.

>> No.22027231

Why is nobody writing epic poetry in the modern-day?

>> No.22027237

>>22027231
Musicians sometimes write concept albums.

>> No.22027244

>>22027090
>>22027091
So for context he's trying to impress a girl by speaking Greek to her but he only has a novice grasp on the language. So he says all this mad shit but only he and the author knows he's basically gone "Where is the bathroom, cat door library how much?"

>> No.22027249

>>22027244
But is he the viewpoint character? From whose perspective is the narration written? Whom does the reader inhabit? Do we know what he thinks, or what she thinks? (Or both?)

>> No.22027252

>>22027249
Oh yeah of course fuck, it's 1st person from his pov.

>> No.22027280

I think I do a decent enough job of editing and refining my prose down to something presentable, but I find that I can only do this if I step away for a month at least, generally more. Is there any way to trick myself into looking at my writing more objectively without this waiting period? Mostly I want to talk about my writing with others and at the start is when I'm most excited about it, but I know that it's not good yet and needs several editing passes to be palatable, let alone enjoyable.

>> No.22027291
File: 1.00 MB, 942x773, this one's on archive.org .png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22027252
If he can read Greek you could insert Greek Unicode characters. If he's at the level where he's repeating pronunciation from a phrasebook then I'd write it down the way those books do it. I think I've seen "repeat a line from a tourist phrasebook verbatim to impress someone" a few times, it's a good gag.
Writing it in English and italicizing it can work if it occurs a lot and the reader has to understand it every time, but your case doesn't sound like that.
There are multiple valid ways to go about it and it depends on your overall style. So do whatever feels least bad.

>> No.22027296

>>22027280
I don't have this problem so I can't speak from experience but changing the font/text size/text color is supposed to help

>> No.22027481
File: 469 KB, 1610x782, Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 14-16-27 Writing Great Fiction Storytelling Tips and Techniques.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How To Write Fiction
neat little course on wondrium
lots of other ones too

>> No.22027571

I want to say these two characters' personality types always recognise each other in a simile, like "us types always recognised each other, like X", X being something like vampires or werewolves or something. But I can't remember what reference actually makes sense here. Like they're hidden in society but can always spot one another.

>> No.22027578

>>22027571
like cryptojews

>> No.22027588

>>22027571
birds of a feather flock together?

>> No.22027594
File: 212 KB, 344x512, 1683076970939877.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How does one cater to the masses while still making a story remotely interesting and unique?

>> No.22027625

>>22027594
>AI slop

>> No.22027626

>>22027588
a bird reference of some type would fit in with a lot of other imagery stuff, but I don't know enough about birds to cite any that are known for recognising each other lol.

>> No.22027637

I represent my protagonist's thoughts through italicized text. How could I represent the words of a different character who speaks via sign language? My first thought was to use a different font, but it feels kinda jarring to suddenly switch to a different font in the middle of a sentence.

>> No.22027639

>>22027637
just put them in normal dialog

>> No.22027645

>>22027637
if you have to do something wacky, maybe speech dashes or something
"I said this"
-- I don't think that's a good idea.

>> No.22027646

>>22027637
Why do you idiots always leap for gimicks when you don't know how to format something

>> No.22027648

>>22027625
What, you're back?
I thought you had to run off and write another "Sword From The Sky".

>> No.22027653

>>22027646
>Sees one example of something
>"Why does everyone, always, absolutely, forever..."
Spinning specifics into generalities is one of the classic signs of a sociopath.
>gimicks
illiterate
opinion discarded

>> No.22027655

the truth is, you can light a fire any time you want

>> No.22027669

>>22027648
Why don't you just generate your stories for mass appeal since you're already incapable of writing anything remotely interesting and unique

>> No.22027694

>>22027669
How would you know?
You don't know what I've written.
Your jealousy is palpable.

>> No.22027693

>>22027653
BECAUSE YOU IDIOTS POST HERE ALL THE TIME
GOOGLE IT
this isn't stupid questions general

>> No.22027700

>>22027693
>a bunch of anonymous people are somehow one big idiot
Treating individuals as if they're some monolithic demographic is a case of treating specifics as a generality, and thus is one of the classic signs of a sociopath.
And since you're SO familiar with what's posted here...why don't you answer the anon's question?

>> No.22027703

>>22027694
>50 year old no family loser who spends most of his time shilling AI art and works as an IT repair man thinks anything he can write wouldn't be the sloppiest slop that ever slopped
I bet you write fantasy

>> No.22027746
File: 1.46 MB, 960x1160, 1682918384643997.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22027703
Its time for you medication anon.
Maybe this instructive image will give you some creativity to your writing as well?

>> No.22027755
File: 49 KB, 255x255, 1681460008073106.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22027694

>> No.22027772

>>22027703
I never said any of that stuff about myself.
YOU said it.
I merely didn't correct you, because it would only make you look stupider.
Now you have a completely erroneous view of who I am and what my life is like.
It exists only in your feverish, schizo brain.
>>22027755
This board won't even ban the spam-shilling groundskeeper, despite his obvious and blatant violations of the "advertising/begging" rule.
So there's zero chance they'll make me leave.

>> No.22027808

>>22026677
Thanks! I will keep those revisions in mind for second draft, just focusing on ironing out the beats and themes for now.

>You're mixing past and present tense, stick to one or the other.
Still not sure which one i wanna do (T~T)

>> No.22027880

I fixed her bros. Stuck for a year but I think we gaan. Middle third was fucked except for the 1st chapter which I kind of liked, so I always left that chapter totally alone and floundered around with the rest of it, but now I accidentally figured out the 1st chapter is the problem and just doesn't set things up right.

>> No.22027999

>>22027746
What do you like about this image? Genuinely curious?

>> No.22028122

>>22027880
I know that feel anon. I was at a glacial pace on my first novel and started writing short stories and reading more instead. But at the rate I'm going now I should have it done and edited by July. Finally gonna over and I can get back to all those people who were waiting for me to finish it.

>> No.22028185
File: 225 KB, 366x417, ok.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Be looking at other authors on Instagram (just reposts from TikTok but I don't use TikTok so...)
>Usual shit like "When you're writing and your cat wants snuggies"
>Come across one post by a guy writing some scifi thriller
>Says the book is really messed up
>Shows pic related
>Comments are full of people saying they're hyped + hooked
What the fuck is wrong with people these days? I know horror/thriller books in general a dime a dozen and typically really corny but christ this is bad.

>> No.22028204

>>22028185
The bar has never been lower.

>> No.22028206

>>22028204
unfortunately, the ceiling of what they're willing to tolerate is awfully low too

>> No.22028210

>>22028185
Better than the shit we write on here

>> No.22028219

>>22028210
I give a pass to people here because we're clearly learning as we go, plus I've read some legitimately good shit (no necessarily just here but on other boards too).

>> No.22028238

>>22027999
it raises questions within me just as it has done with you.

>> No.22028248

>>22028238
Yeah my question was "How can anyone like this shit" and the mystery remains

>> No.22028261
File: 107 KB, 625x500, 19213537281.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22028248
That was not your question, your question was; "What do you like about this image?"
And you didn't like my answer so you answered your unasked question.
>Truly the mind of a generation.

>> No.22028263

>>22028261
Okay then retard, what does this garbage make you ask yourself? And is that reason to "like" it? Oh, wait, you haven't thought that far ahead. You're simply obsessed with the novel concept of it being AI generated. You don't actually like how it looks

>> No.22028312

>>22028185
Seriously? They think THAT'S dark?
They're children.
I write darker stuff than that constantly.
Maybe they only like being pretend-scared.

>> No.22028322
File: 262 KB, 957x1500, herrs-carolina-reaper-cheese-puffs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22028248
In other words, you hate it because you just do.
Zoomers really are the worst. Truly the Least Generation.
>>22028263
I like it because it's the sort of thing a typical artist could crank out in a few hours, at great cost, yet now it takes 10 seconds, and is practically free.
Look at the shelves of any store you care to mention. Most of it is squarely in the category of "good enough".
I mean, do you think that "Flaming Cheetos" actually taste good? They're nasty. But very few people are like me, and willing to hunt down Herr's Carolina Reaper Cheese Curls and pay $3 per bag.
>retard
Gosh, how witty. Is your writing also this banal?

>> No.22028328
File: 1.20 MB, 1024x1024, 1683740526225788.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22028263
> being this blinded by irrational hate.
I would be interested if this comes across in your literature.
To your initially unasked question I liked that image because it made me ask questions: 'Why does his race have an extra finger?' , 'Is he going to eat the little gremlin?, is it a form of currency? or is it a form of tincture?' , 'What is in the jars on the shelves?', is the writing on the paper a form of braille?' and 'What altitude is his shop at to produce such lofty peaks visible through the window.

It really is a shame you can't see these as derivative works of art similar to yet more legible then impressionism.

>> No.22028332

>>22028322
I hate it because it looks like trash but ok. Keep coping

>> No.22028333

>AI fag shitting up the thread again
FUN. I hope he spams more AI generated black people for some reason

>> No.22028336

>>22028312
Show me your darker stuff.

>>22028185
What's wrong with this?

>> No.22028338

>>22028322
>I like it because it's the sort of thing a typical artist could crank out in a few hours, at great cost, yet now it takes 10 seconds, and is practically free.
KEK. So you only like it because it's cheap. Wow, what great "art". Blow your head off

>> No.22028340

>>22027231
epic poetry about what, paying welfare to black single mothers and being coerced into taking experimental medicine

>> No.22028350

>>22028322
>>22028328
why don't you (potientially just one idiot) idiots make your own general and leave us pathetic inefficient artists alone? 50 year old familyless loser

>> No.22028353

>>22028332
See, that's the problem–you can't actually articulate why. You just serve up conclusions and pretend they're reasons.
And when pressed for reasons, you'll just serve up more conclusions, blissfully unaware that you haven't clarified anything.
And so this conflict continues.

>> No.22028358
File: 137 KB, 1500x895, 81W4ArEShvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22028353
>go on, explain why you don't like the look of you shit. You can't. Owned

>> No.22028360

>>22028338
No, because it's cheap AND because it's "good enough".
See >>22026648 . I'm not alone in this opinion.
>>22028350
>50 year old familyless loser
I already told you that's pure invention on your part.
Are you having reading comprehension problems?
>make your own general
I only reply to the "AI slop" seethers. If they stopped, so would I.

>> No.22028364
File: 165 KB, 1076x1104, golden-turd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22028358

>> No.22028367
File: 90 KB, 1024x738, 1574388750783.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Literally just don't reply to AI-Fag. Never respond. Never humor him. Never take his bait. He's not arguing in good faith, all he wants to do is shit up the thread. Don't feed the trolls.

>> No.22028369

>>22028360
ai is worthless because psionics exists but this evil universe will stop at nothing to suppress the human spirit

>> No.22028374

>>22028185
I can write something so fucked up it would make that look like a child's story, and I could do it without a single expletive and without killing anyone. Normies are pathetic.

>> No.22028377

>open thread
>AI shitter is shitting on the thread
God this AI cunt is actually insufferable. His arguments are all completely retarded too and yet he's so uphis own ass. Mindboggling
>>22028367
This. I can feel myself getting annoyed reading his posts like they're intentionally so retarded they're meant to be inflammatory. I just hope the mods ban AI posters and their shilling

>> No.22028379

>>22028336
If this were labelled somewhere on a list chronicling general disturbing shit, maybe one of those faggot YouTube icebergs, this would be in space. Hanging "traitor"s from the rafters is so unhorrifying that even Pirates of the Caribbean show it off all the time. I come from reading stories about lightbulbs getting shoved into vaginas and smashed for fuck sake.

>> No.22028386
File: 322 KB, 768x1024, AI-arnold-schwarzenegger-simple-life.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22028367
>>22028369
>>22028377
I simply say AI-generated text/images are "good enough", like the vast majority of products available out in the real world.
Artists have been getting paid top dollar to make low-grade slop for a long time, but finally, that pseud gravy-train is over.
Now "artists" will have to do better, and judging by the seething, they know they can't, and respond with conclusions and vulgarity.
And yet somehow I'm the problem.

>> No.22028389

https://litter.catbox.moe/qc7ly3.pdf

How's my story?

>> No.22028391

>>22028386
Why are you doing this in the writing general?

>> No.22028393

>>22028391
>>22028367
He's a troll. Any attention is positive attention.

>> No.22028394

How about you do better and not post this fucking garbage you dumbass. It boggles my mind that this idiot can generate such eyecancer and think it worth sharing

>> No.22028404

>>22028386
>artists
>artists
We don't care. None of us are artists in any capacity. This is the WRITING general

>> No.22028411

>>22028404
dude definitely got cucked by an artist or something with how much he seethes about them. When asked why he likes the art he couldn't come with anything better than "urm... artist btfo!!!"

>> No.22028414 [DELETED] 

>>22028391
As I have said REPEATEDLY...because I firmly believe that writers either need to take advantage of what AI offers them, or get left behind.
Stable Diffusion is putting visual artists out of business; the remaining ones are reduced to touching up AI-generated images.
GPT-4 is already putting writers out of business, as >>22026648 shows.
I'm trying to help you, but instead you seethe, and remain in denial.
Fight the ocean and you will drown. Adapt or die.
I don't want you to look back on this time, slap yourself, and ask "why didn't I listen?"

This is a recurring pattern in human history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_of_all_demos
In 1968, researchers at Xerox demonstrated graphical user interfaces, mice, and hypertext. 1968!
Xerox could have completely owned the computer business, but instead, it languished, only for Apple and Microsoft to take up the mantle, over a decade later, and make fortunes with the idea.
And do you know why Xerox executives didn't go forward with these very modern computers?
Because they couldn't figure out how it would help them sell photocopiers.
The lack of vision here is just stunning.
And it's happening again. Except, this time, you're the ones that lack vision.
But sure, just keep bleating "AI bad! AI bad! Spammer! Troll!" if it keeps you from shivering in fear.

>> No.22028418

This really did just admit he's only here to shill AI to us "writers" because we're about to be heckin replaced just like illustrators (oh wait that didn't happen). Can mods just ban this guy?

>> No.22028421

>>22028414
>I'm trying to help you
No one asked for your help

>> No.22028422

No one would EVER read an AI generated book (aside because of the novelty of it being AI generated). AI art is extremely ugly to anyone that isn't a sub 90 IQ philistine like AI spammer over here. No one asked, no one cares, FUCK OFF

>> No.22028423

>>22028421
The purpose of this forum is for writers to help each other, isn't it?
>don't help me, i'm already dead
I forgot how common suicidal types are here.
Well, good news–you're sliding straight toward the abyss.

>> No.22028427

>>22028414

living on this planet is like being waterboarded by the cast of Rent. nobody cares about what happens here anymore. nobody

>> No.22028429

>>22028423
Post your writing

>> No.22028434

>>22028422
People ARE already reading AI-generated books, news articles, reports, etc.
And they can't tell the difference–it passes for human.

>> No.22028451

I didn't realise this was the news article and back of the cereal boxes general. Let me guess, they're also playing AI generated music in the royal opera house too and AI generated art is on the walls of the national gallery

>> No.22028461

>>22028434
>it passes for human.

so do government employees

>> No.22028463

So this dude just has some weird embitterment towards the arts and is taking it out on us by shitting up our general?

>> No.22028467

>>22028461
Government employees are also in great danger of being replaced by AI...
https://nypost.com/2023/04/21/japanese-city-becomes-countrys-first-to-use-chatgpt-to-help-with-administrative-tasks/
...but that's off-topic here.
>>22028451
No, they're using AI to generate far more popular/lucrative art than the examples you gave.
>>22028463
Sigh. More reading-comprehension issues.
No wonder you're in denial...you're definitely hylic enough to be easily replaced by AI.

>> No.22028472 [DELETED] 

>>22028467
you know who won't be replaced by ai? the galactic judges who are going to arrest everyone responsible for this shithole planet

>> No.22028473

>>22028463
Pretty much. It would be like going onto music generals and spamming AI generated music that sounds like ass and going "THIS IS PLAYED IN ELEVATORS AND IN SOME ADS. YOU ARE BEING REPLACED. ADAPT OR DIE!!!"

>> No.22028495
File: 160 KB, 1440x1409, 1671021173762128.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is the only time I'm gonna feed the troll but I feel like I have to say something. Art (including writing) isn't some conveyance of information or simply motions to be followed through like plot points and notes to hit, art and its consumption is meant to be a dialouge between the author and the reader--we are interested in what the author has the say, the meanings and ideas he is presenting and how he presents them. No one who isn't a moron would want to consume "art" that is devoid of meaning and simply so shallow. The reason AI art is slop is that it can only be enjoy for it being bright colours and familiar shapes. No one's gonna read an AI novel, because not only would it suck, it would be devoid of meaning, devoid of an author, no one is gonna ponder an AI drawing because it's just shit spat out with no thought or meaning and is devoid of an artist. AI can't into art until he gains sentience, which won't be for a while.

This guy just hates artists and he can't understand art so he thinks AI slop is the future because he's a dog who can't imagine the world beyond dogfood. Go to a gallery, dude, or read a book

>> No.22028498

>>22028414
Go back to /g/ and touch some grass on your way

>> No.22028501

>>22024789
She just needs to push the other snail shell through the salt to create a path out. Stupid snail.

>> No.22028504

question /wg/: what do I do when I start feeling anxious or overwhelmed while editing? I can't take a drink or get high because it fucks with my meds

>> No.22028508

>>22028501
she's a snail dude, of course she's slow

>> No.22028511

>>22028472
>i am in touch with our galactic overlords
schizo

>> No.22028519
File: 1.78 MB, 1260x1800, 9079381d29c24c8f399a60669272720f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22028504
maybe get into smoking? My writing productivity and quality has increased 3 fold ever since picking up the habit

>> No.22028522

>>22028504
edit anyway
exposure therapy
if you really need motivation, tell yourself that you'll give yourself something after you do it

>> No.22028523

>>22028495
>No one who isn't a moron would want to consume "art" that is devoid of meaning and simply so shallow.
Are you even partially in touch with reality?
A perfect example is the state of "romance" books. These days, they're nearly all about plain-Janes wooed by a rich handsome billionaire that turns out to be a werewolf, who then rapes her. Not even making that up.
I don't know what sort of writing you're talking about, but it's not even on anyone's radar.
At least you knew enough to put "art" in quotes.
And there are far more morons out there than you (apparently) suspect.

>> No.22028529

>>22028523
You gave no real refutation here and your answer simply admits that such talk has no place in this general. We are more concerned with "art" than with its consumption so kindly fuck off
>I don't know what sort of writing you're talking about, but it's not even on anyone's radar.
Okay, so you just don't read books. Got it. Maybe this board isn't for you.

>> No.22028535

>>22028523
>some art is bad so therefore the concept of the author and meaning isn't important
You're a massive idiot, you clearly have no argument for this anon's very well put point on why no likes AI shart after it looking like melted poo.

>> No.22028606
File: 82 KB, 648x864, qtpie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Writing a romance story between a normal dude and a girl with superpowers. It plays out as the usual wish fulfillment stuff but in a dark and hostile world, then it becomes a full blown tragedy.
I managed to write the entire first chapter. Initially I wanted to make the MC a bland self-insert and the story to be merely masturbatory, but then I decided I wanted to give him a personality and an actual plot... but still being a self-insertish masturbatory romance.
Rate and hate.

https://files.catbox.moe/usxgp0.txt

>> No.22028630

>>22028606
>AI slop
Leave

>> No.22028634
File: 47 KB, 537x525, 1680551221545125.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22028630
Do you even write anything or do you just like to post about le ai slop?

>> No.22028699

I honestly can't believe all of this seething rn. One anon said above that this thread is like shitting up a music composition thread with ai generated music. But to me this thread is more like a graphic art creation thread last summer when DALL-E was coming out. It's just cope. And I don't even run any prompts, I just call it like I see it.

You can tell the tourists or brain dead zoomers ITT by how often they make appeals to "we all" and "no one" as if they know, or could know such a thing. Then they ask you about their dragon story or their rpg serial. It's fucking unreal, and no not that Unreal.

>> No.22028704

>>22028699
But is it Unreal Tournament?

>> No.22028721

>>22028606
If this is the ai tard, someone rate his mf slop

>> No.22028821

>>22028699
Believe it or not, people would be rather pissed if a skill they worked hard to obtain got outsourced to a machine.
Reminding one of that fact is going to invite pushback.
>>22028606
Eh, I think it could use some streamlining and longer sentences.
To be honest, I think the tone of the prose might be a little mismatched with the content. At least in the first part. But that might just be a personal problem with how I see the words being employed. I just don't see a high schooler or whatever that isn't a reject talking like this.
It's ok
AI slop/10

>> No.22028858

>>22028821
>Believe it or not, people would be rather pissed if a skill they worked hard to obtain got outsourced to a machine.
except chatgpt tier writing is uncanny in the same way stable diffusion pictures are. perhaps even moreso. even at it's very best where it doesn't read like chinese translated into english there's nothing evocative about it. it's like a grocery list

>> No.22028866

>>22028699
dubs for truth

>> No.22028871

>>22028858
>nothing evocative about it.
You clearly are not witnessing the one seething retard in each of the past four threads.

>> No.22028894

>>22028858
Spamming AI art where it's not well received is still gratuitously starting conflict.

>> No.22028932

>>22028389
The mc's a retard. clearly he's meant to be a retard, but he's retarded beyond the point of retardation, not only lacking in any discernible skills but also in common sense. I find it more annoying than amusing. I'd change it to make him more an idiot savant than just an idiot.

>> No.22028954
File: 1.02 MB, 1024x704, 1682685228824408.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22028894
>spamming
There is like 8 (now 9) posts out of 267 (now 268) You are an imbicile of the highest order who has said nothing of literary merit in the majority of your vitriol driven seethings.
>Get help.
>Read more.
>Write more.
>Be more.
My picture is related because i'm going to use it as creative drive to write more about big titted elves and sometimes pancakes.

>> No.22028959

>>22028954
It's spelled imbecile.
Not whoever you think I am.
Regardless, up until like 2 generals ago you started them early just to have the OP be AI art.
Not having this gay discussion with you.
That picture is genuinely ugly, too. Looks almost uncanny. A very bad mishmash of styles.

>> No.22028981

>>22028959
Its ok not to like something anon, but not liking something does not stop it from existing

>> No.22028993
File: 999 KB, 1024x704, 1682685711400409.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22028959
The last two generals were made so they could NOT be AI, nonsensical argument there buddy. I did not abuse or rant at the OP in either case. Do you not see the disparity here?
>heres more of my creative inspiration

>> No.22029019

>>22028993
Meant to say 'The last two generals were made EARLY', but it is better that we cannot edit posts.
fuck i hate editing.

>> No.22029118

>>22025688
this time i mean it

>> No.22029126

>>22028954
you need to spend less time shilling ugly pictures and more time writing if >>22028606 this is the best you can put out

>> No.22029127

>>22028993
you posted this in sdg like 2-3 weeks ago. they weren't worth sharing then either. why did you settle with such mediocracy?

>> No.22029136

>>22028606
Yeah, the prose is alright technically but it doesn't transport me into the character's experience, especially in the first section. e.g.
>The pain I felt as I stared at it etched itself deep in my memory.
I don't know about anyone else but I'm never aware at the moment that something happens that it ingrains itself into my memory. It's not part of the moment-to-moment experience.
It would maybe work if you explicitly connected it to today, if you described the current recollection instead of the past experience, but IMO it's better to stick to the past, for immersion's sake.
>Mesmerized by the bizarre spectacle, I found myself hypnotized by her fluid and elegant movements
You're getting hypnotized by two things in one sentence here, it's a bit much. I think an active form could also be stronger but that's more up to taste. e.g. "Her fluid and elegant movies mesmerized me"
>causing the creature to crumble before my eyes, like a grotesque house of cards collapsing upon itself.
Remove "collapsing upon itself", because it's already implied, and because that puts "house of cards" right at the end which strengthens it. The end of the sentence is important.

You use "stark contrast" twice in short succession, watch out with that.
>Stretching out my hand, she gripped it momentarily before quickly letting go.
The grammar is off here, "she" is the subject but David is the one stretching out his hand.
"quickly" duplicates "momentarily", maybe there's a better way to phrase it.
>"Of course!" she said as she pulled out her phone from her bag, trying to get it done as fast as possible. "Give me your number, and I'll add you."
>We stood up and walked towards the exit together, in total silence, looking straight ahead as if the other weren't there.
I wasn't sure if she did in fact enter his number. If you don't like adding a dry description you could take the opportunity to comment on her fingers or her typing or her phone's theme or something.
>"Yeah... that's me" I said unsure of why she had followed me.
Add a comma after "me" and after "said". (And after "it" two lines down.)

Did keep me reading.

>> No.22029140

>>22028606
>>22028993
>>22029127

wow, this is you? i remember when you said you were making a VN or something, and how it was virtually madoka fanfic. this was months ago now-- i opened the catbox and ctrl+f'd 'cafeteria' worried that it'd be the same story.. it was

brother, what the fuck? i don't traverse these generals THAT often either.

you want to talk about this?

>> No.22029150

>>22029140
ive actually run into other /wg/ schizos in across other boards as well, and i hate that i can tell-- like the one dude who was posting that blonde middle aged actress.. was seeing him in /vg/ and elsewhere. was like he was haunting me wherever i went.
is he still terrorizing /wg/?

>> No.22029156

>>22029150
Oh yeah, the guy who was obsessed with Rhea Seehorn and wanted to insert her into his Disco Elysium fanfiction lol

>> No.22029166

>>22029140
wait this is THAT anon? what the fuck happened between then and now?

>> No.22029170

>>22029166
that's what im curious about, especially as his ai art he also made weeks ago. most people go through ai art phases almost daily, producing dozens of new ideas in the same period

im not hating on you >>22028993
it's just genuinely interesting

>> No.22029201
File: 967 KB, 1024x704, 1682684683662119.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22029170
I have a confession to make. All the AI art i have posted in these threads is not generated by me otherwise the exif data and image names would be different.
>>22028606
This is also not me and now you linked me to this anon i read a little bit of the writing. It certainly could do with some improvement but certainly not worth the hate. Furthermore the amount of hate that's spammed on it is more then a little suspect.

Keep up the writing romance anon and see you next thread:)
p.s. this is the image i posted a couple of threads ago ya dingus.

>> No.22029230

>>22029201
i saw another person replying to you regarding the madoka stuff, but that's besides the point-- you're lying about these gens. no one would save this shit

>> No.22029235

I always figured the AI slop poster was Boswell.

>> No.22029241

>>22028993
> Up until like 2 generals ago
I think you missed this part.
>heres more of my creative inspiration
Uncanny valley shit unironically.

>> No.22029246

>>22029241
And in this case, I'm not saying it's uncanny because of AI. It's uncanny because it sucks ass and you have bad taste.

>> No.22029256
File: 2.92 MB, 1768x1331, 1678901567765912.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22029246
But it got you inspired enough to write about it
i.e 'There is no such thing as bard art only art.'
>>22029241
Dat poor comprehension
Also if you want better quality less whimsical stuff i have that too :) because you prompted me

>> No.22029258

>>22029256
bard = bad

>> No.22029287

>>22029256
To call it shit.

>> No.22029299

>>22029256
Also
>Whimsical
the art style is not whimsical, it's uncanny because it's both trying to be cartoony and realistic at the same time.
It's ugly too look at but not in a ridiculous or very offensive way. It's jus there.

>> No.22029306

Threadly reminder to treat your writing like both a craft and a job. Spend as much time on work as you would want an author to spend on his for you to read. Don't be lazy.

>> No.22029314

>>22029299
>>22029287
see
>>22028981

>> No.22029319

>>22029306
Job = thing you don't want to do but have to because you need money.
If you treat writing like a job, it means you don't like writing and don't want to do it.

>> No.22029322

>>22029319
Not really. A job can mean profession or something you treat seriously. You know... words have more than one singular meaning.

>> No.22029324

>>22029306
Depressing that 'job' is the only way you can conceive of really caring about and engaging with something.

>> No.22029325

>>22029314
Ok.
And?
It's shit. And I will call it shit.
Just because you don't like me calling AI art shit doesn't mean I will stop existing.

>> No.22029327

>>22029322
Nah, jobs are soul crushing drudgery. The reason you do them is for money. A writer would still write even if nobody ever paid them anything.

>> No.22029328

>>22029324
I said "both a craft and a job" implying you need to balance artistry with hard work.
But go ahead and not be consistent, don't research, and overall fail at writing, which is ultimately about communication.

>> No.22029330

>>22029328
Anon, here's the thing. "Craft" already implies working hard in order to learn the fucking craft. "Job" implies doing something only for the compensation.

>> No.22029334

>>22029327
>A writer would still write even if nobody ever paid them anything.
When did I say that it's about money? A job could be an occupation that one takes up to meet new people and learn new skills. I've learned more on the job than I have ever done so at university.
People would still do work under utopia. I have no idea where this idea you'd simply stop working if you had your needs met. I know rich people who work because they don't want to retire and rot in their house like people used to do in my country. You are literally healthier for having a schedule. Not even the most pozzed Marxist thinks you'd stop doing things.

>> No.22029335

>>22029330
There are plenty of people who say they learn the craft of baking, yet they just make things that aren't as good as a pastry chef's. Professionalism implies it's to a high standard.

>> No.22029336

>>22029328
>which is ultimately about communication
Now this I agree with.

It's probably merely a case of semantics. I think artistry already involves the sense of diligent commitment, including commitment to your audience. But whatever... it's semantics...

>> No.22029337

>>22029327
My job doesn't crush my soul very much. Wouldn't do it for free, but it's alright.
I took the point to be that you have to feel a responsibility toward your audience. I don't feel a responsibility toward anyone when playing video games, but I do when writing, or creating other things for public consumption.

>> No.22029338

>>22029334
>When did I say that it's about money?
When you used the word "job". Surely you don't work for free?

>> No.22029347
File: 45 KB, 1024x1000, bbd7df0509bd0106bd3915929ed37d30fd1d672er1-1038-1014v2_hq.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Trying to do a contemplative bit
>Neighbours won't stop blasting awesome tunes
I like it, I just don't need it

>> No.22029351

>>22029338
>Surely you don't work for free?
I've worked overtime before and not told my boss, because I wanted to help them. I also do stuff outside of my work hours to make me more knowledgeable, and writers who aren't even getting paid should be reading and researching anyway, for the sake of giving back as much as they put out.
Also think about it this way: if you were a publisher, would you consider anyone's work who hasn't even spent as much time reading and writing as a lauded writer would? It's literally bizarre people think they'll get published if they aren't putting their whole life into it.

>> No.22029366

>>22026135
Gunna try to bring attention back to this. I dabbled with the story yesterday and have decided that I'll proceed by roughing out the story in my usual prose style, then hit the desired prose style with edits.

Short of "the english canon, lmao", I'm a bit aimless on study material though.

>> No.22029440
File: 261 KB, 1202x982, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22029366
I thought about it a little yesterday, thanks for the reminder.

By many accounts this idyllic life sucks. I've heard it from many places but this case made a particularly deep impression on me:
>When I was a boy I heard them tell of an old farmer in Vermont. He was dying. The minister was at his bed-side – asked him if he was a Christian – if he was prepared to die. The old man answered that he had made no preparation, that he was not a Christian – that he had never done anything but work. The preacher said that he could give him no hope unless he had faith in Christ, and that if he had no faith his soul would certainly be lost.
>The old man was not frightened. He was perfectly calm. In a weak and broken voice he said: “Mr. Preacher, I suppose you noticed my farm. My wife and I came here more than fifty years ago. We were just married. It was a forest then and the land was covered with stones. I cut down the trees, burned the logs, picked up the stones and laid the walls. My wife spun and wove and worked every moment. We raised and educated our children – denied ourselves. During all these years my wife never had a good dress, or a decent bonnet. I never had a good suit of clothes. We lived on the plainest food. Our hands, our bodies are deformed by toil. We never had a vacation. We loved each other and the children. That is the only luxury we ever had. Now I am about to die and you ask me if I am prepared. Mr. Preacher, I have no fear of the future, no terror of any other world. There may be such a place as hell – but if there is, you never can make me believe that it’s any worse than old Vermont.”
(Take particular note of the fixation on clothing. Simply keeping your family dressed was a full-time job in pre-industrial society, it took an unbelievable amount of labor.)
You can make it idyllic regardless. If you're a terraformer and the world isn't full of other people you can make the land as bounteous as you want. But there's a lot of pathos you can wring from it, from having his past self idealize the simple life only for him to hate every minute of it once he has to live it—without knowing that he inflicted it upon himself.

There are other directions you can go. Permutation City by Greg Egan has characters who need to decide how to spend eternity in a world where they have full control over themselves and their environment. This one guy (in pic related) gives himself hobby obsessions at random intervals. He spends a few decades writing operas, then he spends a few decades studying mathematics, then he spends a few decades making wooden table legs. He didn't erase his memory, he knows exactly what's going on, but that's fine because he programmed himself to genuinely care.
This is not your scenario. But you can consider the self-programming angle, altering not just his memories but his deeper psychological qualities. Maybe it's starting to wear off, and he suddenly finds himself interested in engineering again.

>> No.22029450

>>22029366
>>22029440 (me)
When it comes to style you need to think carefully about what you want the reader to know. Are you going for dramatic irony or for a mystery? If it's a mystery you have to work carefully to make it the right amount of obvious and to keep it interesting after the reader figures it out (which might not be exactly the moment you want them to).

I'm curious about the wife and kids. Are they fellow colonists? AIs? Do the kids age at all?

>> No.22029468

>>22028606
lmao I remember posting a parody of this when it was posted before.

>> No.22029487

This general is a honeypot to test would-be writers into wasting their work and disparaging their own name before they even begin to read/put their work out there. Publishers set up cloud drives to save everyone's cringy and objectionable posts, as well as all the poor writing, to ensure we'll never make it.

>> No.22029512

the most pathetic kind of /wg/ poster are the ones who daydream about being canceled

>> No.22029518

>>22029512
I’m gonna cancel you if your name comes up here. I’ll post under sockpuppet Twitter accounts and foment hatred against you, racist chud.

>> No.22029522
File: 80 KB, 575x397, 217DD368-9325-4D7B-A133-D06C44A2D4A8.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why aren’t you earning 6 figures yet, /wg/? Too lazy?

>> No.22029526

>>22029522
I have a 6-figure day job, but I'd give it up for a decent passive income from book sales

>> No.22029530

>>22028519
Fuck you man, I've been sober for three months and reading your post made me feel uncurbable urge

>> No.22029532

>>22029440
I don't know anon, I think that farmer was just seething with jealousy in comparison to other humans.

Is Permutation City good? Or just similar?

>>22029450
Human, probably test tube babies. I'm thinking his wife was necessarily raised by AIs until she was old enough to be introduced to him.

Well, aside from the newborn being his flesh and blood of course.

There's an option that he's actually been on the planet for generations and there are entire other enclaves of people that he feuded with and it was simpler to put them on a different continent and erase his memories of them.

>> No.22029567

>>22029532
>I don't know anon, I think that farmer was just seething with jealousy in comparison to other humans.
I don't know about that but I do know that subsistence farming is a shit deal. Backbreaking labor and if you mess it up or just get unlucky you starve, maybe to death. I'm not basing it on that one farmer anecdote, I hear it again and again. Farming is hard and stressful. Less so in your idealized scenario, but it bears remembering, and I think some level of dissatisfaction could really feed into your concept.
>Is Permutation City good? Or just similar?
It's good if you love thought experiments and have a bit of a mathematical bent. Greg Egan writes very hard sci-fi, some of his other books expect you to follow along with all the formulas as he describes physics experiments.
It's not that similar to what you want to write, this subject isn't the primary focus. Might still be worth checking out.

>> No.22029587

>>22029487
Joke's on you because I was always gmi.

>> No.22029596

>>22029351
> and writers who aren't even getting paid should be reading and researching anyway,
That is literally my entire point and somehow you're acting as if I'm arguing against it.

>> No.22029614

>>22026927
Nine days.

>> No.22029629

In the new thread put in the OP, "ignore ai shitters"

>> No.22029639

New
>>22029638
>>22029638

>> No.22029641

>>22029614
I dont have any FSF guns to motivate you, but you have to write, anon. Write today even if it's a few hours for one scene. It will whet your desire to write every day.

>> No.22029650
File: 819 KB, 1280x1024, Hiramaru is Togashi.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22029641
I don't wanna.

>> No.22029662

>>22029639
>no title

>> No.22029667

>>22029639
Shit baker

>> No.22029668

>>22028606
So, the movie "My Super Ex Girlfriend"?
>>22028721
>>22029126
It wasn't...and see? I knew you wouldn't treat any writing sample of mine rationally.
The AI detractors are prejudiced psychopaths.
>>22028821
My entire point (which seems to have gone over their heads) is that I'm trying to warn them about what's coming, so they can adapt before it's too late.
AI-generated images/text will get a lot better than the ones they're nitpicking now.
But they're either in denial, or they're implicitly admitting they can't adapt. Kind of sad, really.

>> No.22029677

>>22029662
Fuck, let me try again
>>22029673
>>22029673

>> No.22030007

>>22029487
But we're anonymous. Wait. You don't post your name with your work do you?

>> No.22030012

>>22029526
Writing is not passive income but I would gladly throw >60% of any income derived from writing into bonds.

>> No.22030255

>>22029487
Ugh...this is the same "logic" that convinces schizos that the government has installed microphones in their tooth fillings.
The good news is, what you fear is NOT happening.
The bad news is...it's because you're completely irrelevant, and not worth paying attention to.
If something you write becomes popular through your own effort (e.g. self publishing, web-novel sites, etc.), the "publishers" you fear will beat a path to your door with truckloads of money, no matter what you wrote before you became successful.
If you can make them money, all is forgiven.

>> No.22030761

>>22029650
NGMI