[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 86 KB, 750x726, L-92-michel-foucault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21970963 No.21970963 [Reply] [Original]

*dies of AIDS*

>> No.21970978

>>21970963
imagine taking the works of such a disgusting french faggot seriously

>> No.21970983

>>21970963
Powerful.

>> No.21971032

>>21970963
>Claims AIDS is just an invention by those in power to demonize homosexuals, drug addicts and minorities
>Dies of AIDS
Is there a bigger example of God punishing an infidel?

>> No.21971040

>>21971032
>God punishing
>doG
Kys.

>> No.21971047

>I had fisted Foucault before I knew of his work
>I was a very active top in those days

>> No.21971051

>>21971040
>*dies of aids*

>> No.21971067
File: 3.65 MB, 646x360, jewba.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21971032
>Is there a bigger example of God punishing an infidel?
Jazz Jennings is a perfect example of a Jew spitting in the face of God's creation

>> No.21971077

>>21971067
That's more Munchhausen by proxy. Seriously the mother of that show needs to be hanged

>> No.21971117

>>21971077
>the mother of that show needs to be hanged
cool it with the anti-Semitism. this isn't /pol/

>> No.21971123

>>21970963
Or, as the more accurate term is, *GRIDS*

>> No.21971162

>>21971032
Drug addicts deserve to rot in hell

>> No.21971163

>>21971117
No

>> No.21971192

>>21970963
Foucault's whole philosophy got him killed in the end. I guess collapsing modernity so you can live an extreme pleasure seeking lifestyle wasn't such a good idea after all. Retards still love his stupid hedonism.

>> No.21971235

>aids is the state exerting power over the subject and la biopolitique
>it is le spook and creation of western imperialist capitalists to oppress lgbtq community

>> No.21971277

>>21971032
>>Claims AIDS is just an invention by those in power to demonize homosexuals, drug addicts and minorities
He did?

>> No.21971284

he was right. aids was not real. the government created a bioweapon targeting homosexuals and claimed it was a sexually transmitted disease in order to prevent gay people from expressing their love. but as time went on and attitudes towards gay people relaxed + the disease spreading to closet homosexuals like magic johnson which made down low sodomites in power worried about being exposed led to a push for antidote treatments to be developed

>> No.21971305

>>21971277
i recall a quote from a friend of Foucault who said that, but i cannot find it. On the contrary, it seems that Foucault privately told Veyne that AIDS actually was a medical fact.
Dunno what to believe

>> No.21971308

>>21971067
Actually Jazz is apparently a Palestinian child adopted by Jewish parents which adds another layer of Jewish evil to the whole thing.

>> No.21971333

>>21971032
>>21971305
>>21971284

Foucault never "claimed" any of this.

>>21971192
>Foucault's whole philosophy got him killed in the end.

Um. N......o. Having AIDS killed him. The math is quite simple.

>> No.21971377
File: 59 KB, 699x485, Smugfreg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21971333
AIDS didn't kill him. It merely destroyed his immune system, which allowed opportunistic infections to kill him.

>> No.21971483

>>21971277
>>21971305
>Around this time of this picture I was warning Foucault about Aids. When I first told him about the disease he said: “Oh that's perfect Edmund: you American puritans, you’re always inventing diseases. And one that singles out blacks, drug users and gays – how perfect!” Gay rights had been so hard to fight for that Aids felt like a real reversal. It just seemed to be too perfect for him to believe in it. I tried to insist that it was real despite its ideological aspects.
Note that when Edmund says "aids" he means the theory put forth in Conservative Christian circles concerning GRID (Gay-Related Immune Deficiency), specifically the theory that it was a punishment inflicted upon fags for engaging in sodomy. If the sodomites stopped performing sodomy, the GRID would go away.

>Living in San Francisco in the Seventies he had been promiscuous. He loved the bath houses and all that. I think that might have been where he got infected. But he was very secretive about his illness and the doctors were very secretive about it with him. There used to be a cloak of silence over such things. The doctors were intimidated by Foucault’s anti-medicine stance. They didn’t want to be accused of having a paternalistic or an I’m-better-than-you attitude. He himself wasn’t sure what his illness was until the last few months (he died in 1984). He was horrified at the thought that he might have infected his partner but fortunately he hadn’t.

So, yes, Foucault denied a specific theory concerning a disease that would go on to kill him, but that theory that he denied turned out to be incorrect anyways. HIV/AIDS/GRID isn't caused by divine punishment, it's caused by a virus. Remember that Foucault died less than a year after the virus was discovered, and that discovery was kept VERY quiet by the media.

Whether that virus is divine punishment or not is a different story.

>> No.21972035

>>21971377
Based and sequential thinking pilled

>> No.21972116

>>21971284
>closet homosexuals like magic johnson which made down low sodomites i

Have their actually been any straight people who died from AIDs? Aside from the ones who got it from blood transfusion

>> No.21972626

>>21971483
Hey, an actual sensible and informed comment about Foucault on this board! You win a no-prize, anon!

>> No.21972641

>>21971483
>I tried to insist that it was real despite its ideological aspects.
If Edmund could distinguish the GRID disease from Christian anti-sodomy talk, why couldn't our tourist to Tunisia?

>> No.21972713

>>21970978
Hello there reddit. Ad hominems are invalid and offering them makes you look even more stupid than a brainlet like Focault. .

>> No.21972947

Post the GIF of him pulling his own head off if you have it

>> No.21973460

>>21971483
>Note that when Edmund says "aids" he means the theory put forth in Conservative Christian circles concerning GRID (Gay-Related Immune Deficiency),
No he wasn't, why are you lying? He's talking about AIDS, if he meant GRID he would have said it. That's the whole reason why AIDS was coined in the first place.

>> No.21973515

I'm not entirely convinced that aids isn't just the combined effect of destroying your gut flora through enemas and anal douching, poppers (and other hard drugs), alcohol, lack of sleep, and violent anal sex
>Moreover, it has recently become obvious that alterations of these gut microbial communities can cause immune dysregulation, leading to autoimmune disorders.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3337124/

>> No.21973524 [DELETED] 

>>21973515
Isn't the success of prep proof?

>> No.21973577

>>21971483
>I tried to insist that it was real despite its ideological aspects.
>Oh no he's just denying one theory anon I swear
lmao imagine the seething when the faggot realized that everyone else was right all along and he's a disgusting creature slave to his degenerate desires
then he died

>> No.21973599

>>21973460
>he's talking about AIDS
The virus wasn't discovered until late 1983 this conversation took place in 1981, the media was actively saying that GRID wasn't caused by a virus, and "HIV/AIDS" (the term) wasn't used until 1985.

>>21972641
The quoted portion (not the quote within a quote) is from years later. At the time (1981) Edmund did not distinguish GRID from HIV/AIDS because he did not know that there was a virus, just that there was some kind of correlation between packing fudge and your immune system collapsing.

>>21973577
But they weren't right and there was a huge uproar at the idea of it being caused by a virus. It being caused by a virus just proves Foucault's theories about the medical industrial comolex right. You can see the immense distaste that the "HIV/AIDS" theory (well, empirical fact, we know that it's caused by a virus) has among Liberals in this very thread.

>> No.21973626
File: 13 KB, 300x300, IvanIllich-300x300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>cancer treatments cause medical h-ACK!
Agamben was lucky covid was the flu and the vaccine was sugar water.

>> No.21973825

>>21973599
>The virus wasn't discovered until late 1983
AIDS isn't a virus, HIV is.
>"HIV/AIDS" (the term) wasn't used until 1985.
AIDS was used since 1982, your quote doesn't talk about HIV so I don't see why you are bringing it up. You don't need to know what the exact virus is to call it AIDS.
>However, after determining that AIDS was not isolated to the gay community,[246] it was realized that the term GRID was misleading, and the term AIDS was introduced at a meeting in July 1982.[250] By September 1982 the CDC started referring to the disease as AIDS.[251]

>> No.21973836

>>21973825
Thank you for agreeing with me.

>> No.21973877

>>21973836
Are you pretending to be retarded? He tries to warn his friend that AIDS is caused by an actual (undiscovered) virus and Foucault thinks it's some ideological game. Foucault is not responding to the idea that its caused by God cursing homosexuals, he's directly denying the idea that the disease exists in the first place.

>> No.21973980

>>21973877
Oh, you're a midwit. I'll explain.

See, you go through your life gaining knowledge about stuff, right? So, in the past, you didn't know things that you know now. But just because you know it now does not mean that you knew it at some point in the past. I know, it's a weird feeling, thinking about a time when you didn't know something, and I know that it's hard.

See, Edmund White didn't know that what we now know as AIDS was caused by HIV in 1981 when he told Foucault about the theory that sodomy was killing homosexuals (which isn't a bad heuristic, but it's not actually what does the killing). You yourself admitted this in >>21973825. Foucault dismissed this "buttsex causes immune system failure" theory (which as it turns out was a laughably bad idea) on the grounds that it was just the ideological fantasies of people who he didn't like.

So, to recap: the fact that we know NOW that AIDS is caused by a virus (HIV) doesn't matter, because at the time, the people that we are talking about did not know this (and the idea that there was a virus involved was actually viewed as a conspiracy theory by the media).

>> No.21974040

>>21973980
NTA and you're the midwit, or more probably retard, here. The post you're replying to even states the virus was undiscovered, this is no revelation. Point is that it was an obvious assumption to make even then that it was caused by a mundane sickness spread through sodomy, and that assumption is implicit in saying that it is the sodomy that is killing homosexuals.

Perhaps you should consider that you're in the wrong instead of defaulting to dismissive sarcasm

>> No.21974050

>>21973980
Are you so brain dead that you think the guy talking to Foucault is talking about God killing homosexuals? He's telling him that AIDS is a real disease and that it's NOT because of some made up religious justification, and Foucault blows him off because the medical-industrial complex is trying to delegitimize gays or some shit. No shit they didn't discover AIDS, but you don't have to be a doctor to know that a virus is spreading from sexual activity. Just because they didn't name HIV until later doesn't mean that it wasn't understood as a virus.

>> No.21974066

>>21973626
>The vaccine was sugar water.
It must have been. I don't see people dropping dead from the vaccine lmao as every denialists like you hoped. Surely it'll take two more weeks for that to happen.

>> No.21974068

>>21970963
The only sensible way for him to die, killed by a male prostitute would've been fine too but anything short of a drug overdose would've been disappointing considering his ideas and the life he lived

>> No.21974082

>>21974050
>>21974040
>He's telling him that AIDS is a real disease and that it's NOT because of some made up religious justification, and Foucault blows him off because the medical-industrial complex is trying to delegitimize gays or some shit
No, he absolutely wasn't. Again, just because you, today, know that it's caused by a virus doesn't mean that they did. At the time, the pro-gay media was saying that GRID was caused by dehydration and malnutrition and the solution was for the government to put state-funded snack bars in bath houses, and the anti-gay media was saying that it was divine punishment inflicted upon sodomites and that if they stopped doing sodomy then the symptoms would go away (which would be a fair assumption to make given that sodomy does actually have numerous harmful physical side effects).

>you don't have to be a doctor to know that a virus is spreading from sexual activity
And as I said, they didn't know that it was a virus and every single media outlet at the time was saying that it was not caused by a virus. No one except microbiologists thought that a virus was involved, and even then they were heavily pressured to keep quiet about it.

>Just because they didn't name HIV until later doesn't mean that it wasn't understood as a virus.
They didn't understand that it was a virus. That's the whole point. They did not think that GRID/AIDS was caused by a virus (which we now call HIV). This is why I explained to you that just because you, now, know that it was caused by a virus does not mean that they knew that it was caused by a virus.

Think of it like heliocentrism vs geocentrism if you need to compare it to something.

>> No.21974097

>>21974082
How the fuck could they have not known that it was caused by a virus?

>> No.21974125

>>21974097
Firstly, the government was trying to turn homosexuals into a janissary caste, so there was a massive pro-gay media campaign. If it turned out that your instincts are right and that fags are disease ridden animals that would have made the whole "gays are just like you and I!" campaign look ridiculous. So, the government and various Progressive organizations clamped down hard on any kind of talk of a virus. Reagan gets a lot of flack from HIV/AIDS activists today for this reason (they accuse him of "covering up" the virus and thereby endangering the lives of homos).

Secondly, "a virus that makes your immune system go to shit and then some other virus/bacteria comes along, makes you sick, and THAT kills you" is (apparently) hard for a lot of people to understand. Any thread on 4chan that brings up HIV/AIDS will, inevitably, get people saying that it doesn't exist because the symptoms are just too weird. There also aren't many diseases like it in the public imagination.

Thirdly, despite the massive amount of public perception (today and back then) around the disease, it really was not a very wide-spread phenomena. It wasn't until the Haitian government started selling HIV-laced blood donations to various US hospitals and clinics that it was even present outside of gaybars and bath houses in NYC and SF. This made getting access to and isolating the virus really difficult, as these communities were very touchy about going to medical professionals for any symptoms that they acquired due to their sexual proclivities (see the first paragraph). This continues today, and we can see this in the tranny community as well. Within the medical establishment there was criticism of the idea that a virus could even cause immune-system suppression (because, again, at the time there just wasn't much to compare it to).

>> No.21974164

>>21974066
>like you
I called it useless from the jump. Never believed it was dangerous or effective.

>> No.21974233
File: 101 KB, 1080x608, aids-1983.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21974125
>Firstly, the government was trying to turn homosexuals into a janissary caste, so there was a massive pro-gay media campaign.
Ah, now I see your angle. No, Reagan's administration and the American media were not secretly pro-gay, they genuinely didn't care about a disease that was (in their minds) fringe and only affected homosexuals. Maybe some pro-gay organizations tried to avoid the topic because they felt it would prevent the acceptation of gays, but this was a minority. It was well understood by medical professionals and by gay people concerned about their health that AIDS was a disease likely caused by a virus long before HIV was discovered, that's why they closed down bathhouses in San Francisco in 1984 two years beforehand.

>> No.21974270

>>21971032
But, anon. God isn’t real.

>> No.21974301

>>21974233
>I have never looked into this topic before
Oh, why didn't you just say so?

And The Band Played On and Infectious Ideas are two good starting places, given that you're totally unfamiliar with the topic. You could also check out the wikipedia articles, or the infamous Salo Forum thread, if you want to see this stuff unfold in real time. Take both with a grain of salt as, again, their sources are real-time publications, which is useful to see how people perceived the events as they were occurring.

Actually, it might be better if you just read the two books, given that you're still having trouble wrapping your head around people in the past not thinking like people in the present.

>> No.21974368

>>21974301
Yup, you're definitely what I thought you were, basically the equivalent of a right-wing Foucault about "actually the gays did this to themselves and the media was trying to fund globohomo". There's no evidence that Patient Zero caused the AIDS epidemic in the US btw, or that gays in bathhouses actively encouraged spreading AIDS to reduce the stigma.

>> No.21974472

>>21974368
>the gay flight attendant who had sex with over 100 people while having aids didnt help spread hiv
contrarianism is a hell of a drug

>> No.21974506

>>21972713
He’s just exerting his power over Foucault

>> No.21974509 [DELETED] 

>>21974472
i think it was more likely sparked by nyc "fleet week" during the bicentennial celebration in 1976. that flight attendant guy probably didn't help but there were probably many others like him unknown.

>> No.21974524

>>21973577
lmao imagine being there when he found out AIDS was real and he had it

>> No.21974548 [DELETED] 
File: 84 KB, 736x387, foucault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>my face when i search foucault on amazon and an ad for self-help book called "the power of discipline" pops up in the middle of the results

>> No.21974557

>>21974270
Go back to r/atheism. /lit/ is a Christian board.

>> No.21974923

>>21970963
Red-pill me on Foucault? Is this the guy who popularized the idea of moral relativism?

>> No.21974962

>>21974923
No, moral relativism predates Foucault, arguably back to the Church Fathers.

Foucault was a late 20th century French philosopher who was very critical of the Enlightenment, namely Liberalism and Communism. He argued that both philosophies unmoor man from any kind of philosophical or intellectual center turning all things into power games. He's also (in)famous for being a huge faggot and pedophile. He was very well connected, and was a frequent visitor to the same pederastic brothels that the Catholic clergy in France ran at the time.

He got a lot more attention after Covid, due to his criticisms of the medical-industrial complex and the subjectification of medicine.

>> No.21975201

>>21971117
This place is just like /pol/, but better

>> No.21975206

>AIDs is a CIS hetero-normative patriarchal construc-ACK

>> No.21975227

>>21974923
>moral relativism
Check out Plato's dialogues in which Callicles and Thrasymachus show up.