[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 41 KB, 500x500, D6E799A5-E1D4-4FBC-A04B-134C81829031.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21903717 No.21903717 [Reply] [Original]

What's up with this board's obsession of not reading women writers and acting like that is a sign of taste? I don't get it. Some of the best writers I've ever read are women writers, and one of my top three favorites (Nathalie Sarraute) is a woman.
Sure you can say "women writers are bad cuz muh YA n muh 50 Shaded n muh Colleen Hoover"...but have not heard of fantasy and male fantasy writers? I guess all male writers are bad since Chuck Wendig exists...
So can someone explain their position rationally?

>> No.21903724

>>21903717
Leave Colleen Hoover out of your font, pseud hoe.

>> No.21903727

>>21903724
>your font
?

>> No.21903736

It's just a bunch of bitter virgins who hate women in general. There's really nothing more to it than that.

>> No.21903742

>>21903736
I don't hate women. There's just a much higher ratio of good men writers.

>> No.21903746

>>21903717
Lmao

>> No.21903749

>>21903742
Yes. OP is talking about the morons who say there are no good women writers.

>> No.21903762

I think that young people in particular tend to gravitate towards writers who are more similar to themselves (or rather similar to how they'd like to be). Lots of people on this board are just starting out reading and don't have a lot of experience interacting with women, so they're naturally less interested in seeing the world through those eyes. It's pretty normal and I'm sure as they get older their tastes will widen.

>> No.21903769

>>21903762
I want to be a cute anime girl.

>> No.21903782 [DELETED] 

>>21903717
>Nathalie Sarraute
a russian jew.

Nah, man. Act like I am not explaining my position rationally, but I don't care to read even one sentence from a russian jewess. Lol. Lmao, even.
Does that hurt your fee-fees? Are you mad that I toss her into the trash bin as soon as I find out she is a russian jewess? And the product of divorced parents. WHat an awful rat of a person she must have been.
Women are not as good as men in general, and this is true of writing, as well. They do not have the right tools to create a beautiful universe and tell a compelling story within it.
They can only mimic the jewish press as far as what it claims is good and sought after, and that is why we get wordslop like 50 shades and most everything else that comes onto the NY Times bestsellers list.

>> No.21903786

>>21903762
This makes sense. It's how I was. It took exploring literary movements to discover great women writers besides the obvious ones (Austen, Brontes).

>> No.21903806

You sound mad that people aren't reading female authors. Stop shitting up the board because of your incel anger-issues.

>> No.21903812

>>21903717
I read women authors but I do so for the purposes of making fun of them.

>> No.21903846

It’s just that 9/10 women are hylics and only 7/10 men are hylics

>> No.21903854

Because there ARE NO good woman writers
name me one
>m-mary shelly
Frankenstein is an inferior gothick novel, the monk is the greatest gothick novel ever written

>> No.21903879

>>21903717
A woman.... AND a writer? Whoa mama! Hummina hummina hummina bazooooooooing! *eyes pop out* AROOOOOOOOGA! *jaw drops tongue rolls out* WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF *tongue bursts out of the outh uncontrollably leaking face and everything in reach* WURBLWUBRLBWURblrwurblwurlbrwubrlwburlwbruwrlblwublr *tiny cupid shoots an arrow through heart* Ahhhhhhhhhhh me lady... *heart in the shape of a heart starts beating so hard you can see it through shirt* ba-bum ba-bum ba-bum ba-bum ba-bum *milk truck crashes into a bakery store in the background spiling white liquid and dough on the streets* BABY WANTS TO FUCK *inhales from the gas tank* honka honka honka honka

>> No.21903919

>>21903717
The best female writers are neurotics who don’t have much worth saying except for what being a female neurotic is like. No one wants to read about that unpleasantness. Lit readers want new ideas and perspectives. Bitchy women is a tale as old as time.

>> No.21903922

>>21903854
Anna Kavan
Clarice Lispector
Karen Blixen

>> No.21903930

>>21903717
There are women writers that /lit/ likes, they just have to not suck. You don’t get a free pass because you have a vagina. O’Connor, Tartt, Jackson, the Brontes, Eliot are a few.

>> No.21903931

>>21903922
never heard of them kek

>> No.21903975

I mostly don’t read them for the simple fact that on average they’re worse writers and i should only want to read who I consider the best writers, add to this the commonly shilled women writers are not the best women writers.

I will take Mary sidney/the duchess of pembroke over every single Beat writer, but I’m not gonna take her over her brother Phillip Sidney, Emma Lazarus and Elizabeth browning are both good writers but they’re not as good as Robert browning by any stretch.

Among the ancients, Sapphos poetry really doesn’t exist due to how fragments it is, and what does remain is inferior to other poetry from the same time period by men in the same style, Katherine Phillips I like, but she isn’t even surpassing someone like Andrew marvel, and so on and so on. Regardless of fame, regardless of acclaim, for every decent female writer you can point to, I can point to a multitude of men in the same or similar aesthetic mode who are superior. So why should I be interested in the female writer, because she has a pussy? If the end result isn’t better then Why should i? Should I not discriminate based on experience? Why not?

>> No.21903976

>>21903717
They are all unfortunately still victims to the Victorian psyop. So sad.

>> No.21903981

>>21903717
Name 10 great female writers and their best work. If you can I will add them to my amazon wishlist. I literally don't give a shit about the author let alone their gender, I just want to read good shit I find interesting, and it just so happens that a vast majority of that is written by men.

>> No.21903996

>>21903717
Mary wollstonecraft-Shelley was a good writer and im pretty much sure she is not the only good female writer.

>> No.21904001

>>21903981
> Name 10 great female writers and their best work. If you can I will add them to my amazon wishlist.
This. I genuinely asking.

>> No.21904009

>>21903736
Kill yourself retard, you won't get any pussy like that.

>> No.21904029

>>21903717
> Some of the best writers I've ever read are women writers,

And on this, this is probably due to a difference in taste insofar as, I’d venture to guess you like personalities, you relationships, you like seeing how characters relate.

Frankly I’m a bug, i don’t read to read about characters or their interrelation drama or to relate, I read for beautiful images, strange mental spaces, and musical sounds, for me the great book id its own special kind of intoxicant, SOME women can do this, but for the majority of women this is not the aim of their prose or verse, instead being fixated on emotion, character, story, social commentary, relations and all of this sort of thing, and worst of all from the female perspective which if you are honest with yourself, ie the position of not the movers and shakers of the world, but of the tender who have been tended, the spoken to not the speaker, the looked upon not the looker, in a word, the weak. Your Jane Austen’s write to express and gain a grip of control of their social climate, superior to this your George Eliot‘s actually try to be a creatrix, to embody the elements of their own nature into a whole world, compare the opening of Eliot to Austen.

“Who that cares much to know the history of man, and how the mysterious mixture behaves under the varying experiments of Time, has not dwelt, at least briefly, on the life of Saint Theresa, has not smiled with some gentleness at the thought of the little girl walking forth one morning hand-in-hand with her still smaller brother, to go and seek martyrdom in the country of the Moors? Out they toddled from rugged Avila, wide-eyed and helpless-looking as two fawns, but with human hearts, already beating to a national idea; until domestic reality met them in the shape of uncles, and turned them back from their great resolve. “

Compare this to Austen and immediately you’ll see the difference in aesthetic scope.

“ iT is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.
However little known the feelings or views of such a man may be on his first entering a neighbourhood, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding families, that he is considered as the rightful property of some one or other of their daughters.”

Cont

>> No.21904034

>>21904029
The first is superior clearly, but the base elements of the female creature are weaker than the male creature, the demiurgy of a Flaubert, a nerval or a Melville are far superior, for while the inferior female tries to control the social climate, and the superior female tries to control nature, the great male writer creates a second nature, a second world, this is on account of faith in his aesthetic ideals conjoint with his dominating penetrative will, he does not control the social climate, he produces exotic social modes that are impossible, he does not replicate nature, he makes an artifice from the base materials which is superior and other to nature, whether it’s the extremes of Lewis caroll, or this example from a work by Flaubert.

“ It is in the Thebaid at the summit of a mountain, upon a platform, rounded off into the form of a demilune, and enclosed by huge stones.
The Hermit's cabin appears in the background. It is built of mud and reeds, it is flat-roofed and doorless. A pitcher and a loaf of black bread can be distinguished within also, in the middle of the apartment a large book resting on a wooden stela; while here and there, fragments of basketwork, two or three mats, a basket, and a knife lie upon the ground.
Some ten paces from the hut, there is a long cross planted in the soil; and, at the other end of the platform, an aged and twisted palm tree leans over the abyss; for the sides of the mountain are perpendicular, and the Nile appears to form a lake at the foot of the cliff.
The view to right and left is broken by the barrier of rocks. But on the desert-side, like a vast succession of sandy beaches, immense undulations of an ashen-blonde color extend one behind the other, rising higher as they recede; and far in the distance, beyond the sands, the Libyan chain forms a chalk-colored wall, lightly shaded by violet mists. On the opposite side the sun is sinking. In the north the sky is of a pearl-gray tint, while at the zenith purple clouds disposed like the tufts of a gigantic mane, lengthen themselves against the blue vault. These streaks of flame take darker tones; the azure spots turn to a nacreous pallor; the shrubs, the pebbles, the earth, all now seem hard as bronze; and throughout space there floats a golden dust so fine as to become confounded with the vibrations of the light.
Saint Anthony, who has a long beard, long hair, and wears a tunic of goatskin, is seated on the ground cross-legged, and is occupied in weaving mats. As soon as the sun disappears, he utters a deep sigh, and, gazing upon the horizon, exclaims:—” “

Immediately you are intoxicated by the drug, this hallucination of a world between and to the side of this one and his ideals of the pure beauty. While make examples of this are plentiful, the female who can do this is very very scarce, and when found, not superior.

>> No.21904053

>>21904034
> the side of this one and his ideals of the pure beauty. While make examples of this are plentiful,

While male examples *

>> No.21904073

>>21903717
If people don't want to read what you have to write, that's the fault of the writer. What have you, OP, done to attract a wider audience to your writings or writings of other women?
Is this thread your response to that? Taking on a bitchy and argumentative tone with "the entire internet" as if you are reliving an argument you had with some individual in the past? That's not going to convince anyone.
Maybe you should post some examples of great female writing. Start a quote thread like we do for every other interesting book.

>> No.21904079

>>21903922
>Clarice Lispector
fucking sucks

>> No.21904104

>>21904009
That is just empirically false.

>> No.21904128

>>21904073
What are you quoting with "the entire internet"? She only mentioned this board and she's right, a lot of people here say they won't read female authors

>>21903717
Because they're angry and don't read a lot anyway. Real enthusiasts don't really come here, if you read enough modern stuff it's pretty obvious there's not a huge difference in the overall quality of writing between genders, I prefer stuff by women but I'm not shitting myself "MEN SUCK AND ARE RETARDED AND" men just break down into testerics at the drop of the hat, better to ignore it

>> No.21904139

Colonization at work here, boys. The feminist cries in pain as she strikes you.

>> No.21904154

>>21904128
>t.Silly goose

>> No.21904156

>>21904128
Why don't you recommend to the entire internet a worthwhile book with an interesting quote to go along with it?

>> No.21904176

Haven’t read that many women but I like the ones from the 19 century, like Austen, Emily Brontë and Shelley … For modern stuff I primarily read non fiction and among those Joan Didion, Janet Malcolm and Camille Paglia are the ones I’ve enjoyed the most. Some essays by Sontag are enlightening as well.

>> No.21904179

I don't read female writers because I don't feel like it.
There is a limited time we have in this world, and when you're faced with the choice of picking a renowned book by a male author or a likely waste of time written by a woman, the choice is clear.

>> No.21904198

>>21904179
I'm still waiting on someone to put a quote in this thread.

>> No.21904204

because believe it or not, /lit/ is full of incel sheep that feel this is their flock with which they can blend in. the average well adjusted person will go
>yeah women are basically children
but the maladjusted will never let it go

>> No.21904221
File: 212 KB, 1489x2048, MV5BMTU3OTYzMzY4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDIxOTIyOA@@._V1_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I dunno guys

>> No.21904302

>>21903996
As I previously stated in this thread, mary shelly was a hack. Only people who've never read a gothick novel state that frankenstein is good

>> No.21904361

>>21903717
I'm simply too masculine to actually be able to relate to them. I've had this in other arts like for example when I would draw and listen to many new composers, I would be able to tell when the piece was written by a woman simply because I would think "what the actual fuck is the composer doing?"

Some men don't experience this and it seems to me that they are the ones more likely to buy into the whole "gender equality" schtick. Basically "basedbois", to use the modern parlance.

>> No.21904402

>>21903717
would bang

>>21904221
would not bang

keep the bitches coming please.

>> No.21904422

>>21903717
I don’t like the way female brain works and how it inevitably channels into their writing. There are a few exceptions of course (all of them autistic or otherwise fucked in the head) but on average it’s just mating rituals and shallow dialogue. Women aren’t very interesting even as characters, their realistic depiction was already solved in Anna Karenina and Madame Bovary.

>> No.21904443

>>21903981
>>21904001
Sorry for not replying to this post earlier, but I have a life and was out living it. Thankfully, I knew terminally online incels would bump the thread while I was out having a life beyond the internet. Now to answer your question.
>1. Nathalie Sarraute
I already mentioned her in the OP. You should read Tropismes (English tr. Tropisms). It's essentially to understanding all of her work. Everything she wrote stems from the ideas she develops in Tropismes, or at least from the idea of Sarraute calls a tropisme. Her favoirte work of mine is "Vous les entendez" (English tr. Do you hear them?). However the work most appropriate for /lit/ (really the pseuds of /lit/) is Les Fruits d'Or (English tr. The Golden Fruit).
>2. Marguerite Duras
Her most famous work is La Doleur (English tr. The War: a Memoir). It's really good, though I personally prefer Le Ravissement de Lol V. Stein (English tr. The Ravishing of Lol V. Stein), however a better recommendation is Un barrage contre le pacific (English tr. The Sea Wall). If you end up like Un barrage, you should check out L'amant (English tr. The Lover) or her updated version of L'amant called L'amant du Chine de Nord (The North China Lover). L'amant is the more autobiographical version of Un barrage.
>3. Gertrude Stein
Her best work that is digestible is Three Lives and specifically the novella Melanctha contained in Three Lives. It *is* the best piece of modernist writing in the English language. I do however have a soft spot for The Making of Americans. It's a daunting text, but it's so rhythmic and hypnotic I found it hard to put down. I liken The Making of Americans to Faulkner's quote about how he and Thomas Wolfe were two writers who tried to fit all of life's experiences on pinhead when writing their novels. The Making of Americans sets out to do just that.
>4. Anzia Yezierska
A forgotten gem of the early 20th century. Her best works are Hungry Hearts, and her novel Bread Givers. Yezierska captures the life of the Jewish ghettos in New York at the turn of the century very well. It's also a lovely example of modernism since Yezierska writes in the voice of a "fresh-off-the-boat" Jewish immigrant. Her work is full of Yiddish, and the sentences are structured like a Jew who is learning English.
>5. Djuna Barnes
Read Nightwood. It's perfect for 4chan losers. The novel is about outcasts living on the fringes of society. Plus, for you retards out there who need a SOURCE, T.S. Eliot (and William Burroughs) was a huge proponent of the novel. It's basically a prose poem in the sense the prose is extremely poetic.

>> No.21904448

>>21904443
6. Elena Ferrante
My Brilliant Friend. Everyone should read this. It may look like chick-lit from the cover, but it's not. It's what I call contemporary modernism, and it's written very well (in translation). I'm sure most of you will enjoy it so much, you'll buy the other three books in the Neapolitan quartet. Think Proust, but an Italian woman, and she exposes to the world the toxicity of female friendship.
7. Nella Larsen
She was part of the Harlem Renaissance, though sadly she was not a member of the NIGGERATI (lmao). However her two novels Quicksand and Passing are very good novels, especially Quicksand. Passing is more popular and known among the general public, partly due to the Netflix film adaptation, but mainly because it's a story about a black women who meets an old black friend who is now pretending (successfully) to be white. I prefer Quicksand. Helga Crane is just a much more interesting character and the modernist writing (yes, Nella Larsen was a modernist) is done very well in Quicksand. I like the way Helga is associated with oriental objects to give her an air of exoticism (because Helga could pass if she wanted to), and there's a very well written Jazz club scene where things blur together with the music, the dancing, the alcohol, and the whole animalistic vibe of a Jazz dance floor.
8. Carson McCullers
Read The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. It's very very very good, plus she's a Southern Writer so she's automatically one of the greatest American writers to have lived by default of being Southern. Like Nightwood, this novel is also about outcasts living on the fringes of society. The relationship between the deaf man and the Greek is a very beautiful picture of friendship.
9. Virginia Woolf
How could she not make this list? Everything she wrote is top notch, and she is one of the best modernist writers out there. Read Mrs. Dalloway as your first (and compare it to Ulysses since they're "1-day timespan novels"). Very beautiful writing. I love the passage where the "eye" of the narrator is going through a park and the perspective of narration switches depending on what is being describe (Uncle Charle's Principle/Free Indirect Discourse for those of you who are illiterate in modernist tools). But if you think you're "intelligent" try reading The Waves lmao.
10. Anais Nin.
I include Nin on the list and last, because I'm sure all you virgins need a good coom. Read Nin's Delta of Venus or Little Birds, and try to tell me she's not good for a nice coom, while also being an amazing writer as well. Her erotica is more than just erotica, it's also literary (like Bataille).

>> No.21904451

read Hannah Arendt

>> No.21904457

>>21904073
>>21904198
People above your posts have posted female authors they find worth reading. OP even included Nathalie Sarraute in his original post. All you're doing is demonstrating you're too retarded to Google an author and figure out what their most celebrated work is. I'm sure once you have this information on hand, you can source some quotes. But you are apparently too retarded to do this.

>> No.21904470

>>21903879
kek'd

>> No.21904479

>>21904443
Jewesses

>> No.21904491

>>21904443
Of these I’ve only read stein and Wolfe and have much to complain on, I am also 100% a modernism hater, from Eliot and pound to hd or Joyce to Marianna moore, hart Crane to even Whitman, I broadly hate their style and aesthetics. Since I hate these, is there anything in your list worth my time for my taste?

>> No.21904494

>>21904156
Why do you keep saying entire internet? It's weird

>> No.21904498

>>21904491
>wanted to be spoonfed
Just read like everyone else, you demanded suggestions and didn't take them. You're on your own

>> No.21904504

>>21903717
Wrong. I stan my femcel queen Emily Bronte

>> No.21904505

>>21903717
This place is full of fags and virgins.

>> No.21904506

>>21903717
I like a few of them, Emily Bronte, Marguerite Duras, Virginia Woolf, etc but I have to say none of them are among my favourite writers. I like lots of female musicians so Idk.

>> No.21904509

I don't see it as a mark of taste, it's just how it is
I've read female non-fiction authors
I've read some female fiction authors like Jane Austen, George Eliot and Virginia Woolf
Were they any good? Yeah I liked Jane Austen and George Eliot and plan to read more of them
Do I still read 95%+ male authors? Yeah

>> No.21904511

>>21904498
I didn’t demand suggestions and I gave a list of female authors I consider of a superior sort already. But yes since there’s a list of writers and this is a board for literature discussion, I am going to ask you if in the context of not liking that tradition of writing, is that list good for me who doesn’t like that specific tradition?

I don’t see why that’s a particularly hard question.

>> No.21904522

>>21904491
>Since I hate these, is there anything in your list worth my time for my taste?
No. Maybe Duras or McCuller's. But everyone I listed I would classify as a modernist, except Sarraute. But Sarraute was interested in pushing the form of the novel to its extreme just like modernists. She wanted to write and perfect the "anti-Balzacian" novel. All of her characters are unnamed. They are just referred to as he or she. Sarraute believed by naming her characters she was taking power away from them, and that the moment they became named, they lost all semblance of being realistic. It makes for interesting and engaging reading, and after reading her works, I kind of believe her reasoning. Her novels just wouldn't capture humanity in the way they do if you named all her characters.

So I guess, try Marguerite Duras and start with La Douleur or start with McCullers.

>> No.21904534

>>21904522
>start with la douleur
Literally universal agreement to start with L'amant

>> No.21904552

>>21904534
He already said he doesn't like stories about "relationships" in a previous post. Why would a recommend him an autobiographical work about a 14 year old girl fucking a rich China man to escape her life of poverty?

>> No.21904556

>>21904443
thanks I will check these out once I get down my reading list some.

>> No.21904563
File: 223 KB, 800x600, WBC_sad_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21904552
I posted in haste without reading the thread forgive me

>> No.21904585

>>21904522
> But Sarraute was interested in pushing the form of the novel to its extreme just like modernists.

Then I’ll probably not like it, I’m more interested in virtuoso displays within stable styles or extreme kinds of perfectionism like Walter pater.

>She wanted to write and perfect the "anti-Balzacian" novel.

Huge red flag for me, since one of my all time favorite novels is a Balzac, specifically seraphita, I think his more mystically inclined work is all phenomenal.

>the moment they became named, they lost all semblance of being realistic.

Final nail in the coffin for me desu, I despise realism and realism for its own sake, I can only stomach it when it’s matched with a very decadent prose style, which drifts the style to highly unrealistic places anyways. I haven’t any interest in the human analysis or relationships or narratives, it’s just not an interest to my taste.

> Marguerite Duras and start with La Douleur or start with McCullers.

Still applicable with the above? What’s their deal, why are they good in your own words?

>> No.21904595

>>21904552
Oh to clarify I don’t mean just romantic relationships, I’m talking all human relationships that get explored. Friendship, romantic drama, drama between fathers and sons, competition between rivals and so forth, doesn’t do a thing for me.

>> No.21904624 [DELETED] 

>>21904595
Please shut up frater you're kind of annoying

>> No.21904643

>>21904585
You like Balzac but you hate realism? How does that even work?
You might like Duras' La Douleur, probably won't like McCullers.

>> No.21904678

>>21904643
> You like Balzac but you hate realism? How does that even work?

In his mystical inclined works he stops mid story and gives philosophy lectures, focuses more on pure description and strange mindstate, definitely more focused on painting strange pictures of strange scenes, you see this to some degree in his non mystically inclined stuff, but his Études philosophiques stuff is all very very kino to me.
> Duras' La Douleur

I’ll give it a shot

>> No.21904694

>>21904361
Could you post some of that music you mentioned?

>> No.21904698

>>21903717
I enjoy Katherine Mansfield, H.D., Mary Shelley, and even Tanith Lee, but most female writers seem obsessed with social politics rather than anything truly literary. There aren’t many epics written by women, and that’s probably because they don’t want to go outside of “detournement” of (mis)translating other epics for the sake of making a point.
>>21904678
I don’t like his epistolary novels, but enjoyed The Unknown Masterpiece quite a lot for its definitions of art. For some reason, I also liked his tragedies around love like At the Sign of the Cat and Racket.

>> No.21904711
File: 83 KB, 250x250, 1680151850429520.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21903717
Negative anima relation, they are incels and they fear women; hence why they need to defend themselves from feminine influence.

>> No.21904717

Suggest some good fiction written by a woman. My main point of reference are the absolute garbage modern fantasy romance books a friend of mine reads. That and somebody on /v/ recommended Piranesi to me and that was quite good, but then again almost all of the cast were men and there was barely a whiff of relationship drama.

>> No.21904726

>>21904511
i think you might be autistic. It's hard to take you seriously because you talk and act like a retard.

Work on that and then come back to reading my friend. :)

>> No.21904732

>>21904698
Have you read his essay on elegance? I found his takes on it pretty sensible. The central argument being that to animate rest/repose in all activities and all that one does, to do them perfectly while seemingly at ease, that is the key to the elegant and beautiful life, art and so forth.

>> No.21904742

>>21904726
>Gets btfo'd by tripfag
That's rough.

>> No.21904767

>>21904726
>i think you might be autistic. It's hard to take you seriously because you talk and act like a retard.

Nah It’s a three pronged situation.

1=I’m from a culture that doesn’t like public displays of emotion, affection or what have you that aren’t jovial or anger, as a culture were uninterested in these questions and were all pretty harsh with each other, for example the few times I’ve ran into people who supposedly self harmed, they were cured by being yelled at and then beaten, and then living pretty successful lives afterwards.

2= the literary and aesthetic taste I’ve developed from years and years of study and writing reinforces this opposition, decadent/symbolist authors are a favorite as Is religious lit, big fan of mystic and ornate Hindu and Chinese verse, like magha and li-hi to name two favorites and they are, again, pretty opposed to the point being to tell stories or be related to or realistic.

3=emotionally I am personally very cold to most things, I have a large ego, and while vanity is bad I do not believe high ego is bad, realistically the only things that move me emotionally have to do with either religion or are things which are far superior in reality in terms of their pathos, poverty and sickness and death are sad in reality, drug addiction is sad in reality, in a book? It’s not enough honestly.

>Work on that and then come back to reading my friend. :)

Nah because there’s mountains and mountains of books I like which agree with me, no particular reason to stop enjoying what I enjoy because I don’t enjoy what you enjoy, if that gets at you, then maybe you have a bit of that ‘tism!

>> No.21905148

>>21904034
Not that this really relates to your post but out of curiosity have you read Gertrude Stein? She was so masculine and had so much disdain for "good wives" and banality in writing I wonder if you'd like her.

>> No.21905207

>>21903717
what film is this image from again?

>> No.21905251

>>21903717
For me "I don't read women" is an observation and not a decision. The books that interest me are written by men. If I found a book that I wanted to invest my time in, that was written by a woman I absolutely would read it. But so far that happened only twice. One was Agua Viva by Clarice Lispector, I was underwhelmed. The other one was Memoirs of Hadrian by marguerite yourcenar. Bought it but didn't get to it yet.

>> No.21905266

>>21905148
Only read tender buttons and despised it, though I’m sure her other works are rather different the same ideals probably pervade the rest. Though from what I’ve seen of the other stuff I wouldn’t like it either.

I’m not necessarily opposed to a dainty sort of writing, I just want it to produce what Nabokov says, an “enchantment” but like, how can this be found in

“ A kind in glass and a cousin, a spectacle and nothing strange a single hurt color and an arrangement in a system to pointing. All this and not ordinary, not unordered in not resembling. The difference is spreading.

GLAZED GLITTER.

Nickel, what is nickel, it is originally rid of a cover.

The change in that is that red weakens an hour. The change has come. There is no search. But there is, there is that hope and that interpretation and sometime, surely any is unwelcome, sometime there is breath and there will be a sinecure and charming very charming is that clean and cleansing. Certainly glittering is handsome and convincing.”

This to me is an abandoning of all attempts at construction of a cold illusion and instead just shot gunning associations of emotions and object connections hoping one of them connects, a similar though more controlled usage of this “shotgun” is in Virginia wolf’s waves and I found it still pretty bad.

And desu, I’m an extremist in taste I need excessive color and gaud, images like this from stein

“ The tradesmen of Bridgepoint learned to dread the sound of "Miss
Mathilda", for with that name the good Anna always conquered.
The strictest of the one price stores found that they could give
things for a little less, when the good Anna had fully said that "Miss
Mathilda" could not pay so much and that she could buy it cheaper "by
Lindheims."
Lindheims was Anna's favorite store, for there they had bargain days, when flour and sugar were sold for a quarter of a cent less for a pound, and there the heads of the departments were all her friends and always managed to give her the bargain prices, even on other days.
Anna led an arduous and troubled life.”

They mean nothing to me, like find me a woman who writes like this and I’ll be interested.

“ In the month of the long decline of roses
I, beholding the summer dead before me,
Set my face to the sea and journeyed silent,
Gazing eagerly where above the sea-mark
Flame as fierce as the fervid eyes of lions
Half divided the eyelids of the sunset;
Till I heard as it were a noise of waters
Moving tremulous under feet of angels
Multitudinous, out of all the heavens;
Knew the fluttering wind, the fluttered foliage,
Shaken fitfully, full of sound and shadow;
And saw, trodden upon by noiseless angels,
Long mysterious reaches fed with moonlight,
Sweet sad straits in a soft subsiding channel,
Blown about by the lips of winds I knew not,
Winds not born in the north nor any quarter,
Winds not warm with the south nor any sunshine; “

>> No.21905546

>>21905207
Masculine et Feminine directed by Godard. It also stars Eva Green's mother.

>> No.21905569

>>21903727
I think it's a butthurt tumblrina that found its way on here somehow. And here I am wondering why it hasn't been contained and removed yet... Mods???

>> No.21905645

>>21903717
Fuck women, plain and simply. Unless I can first be convinced that a certain writer is not ugly (on the inside) first, I won't even give the time of day. All women are unpersons until proven otherwise. Women who are tolerable are basically men.

>> No.21905859

>>21905645
Who is the most based woman?

>> No.21905865

>>21903736
ywnbaw

>> No.21905872

>>21905859
I once read a youtube comment about someone's great aunt, who took a vow of silence and did not speak for 50 years.

>> No.21905874

>>21905872
I imagined all women taking this vow at once and a calming sensation overwhelmed me like a wave of blue energy taking all my troubles away

>> No.21905911

>>21903782
whether a troll or not you're still dumb as fuck

>> No.21905937

>>21905872
Lucky uncle

>> No.21905945

I can't speak for the board, but sounds like a good criteria. There is only so much you can read, going through the good male writers will already take enough time, there is no point in going through women too.

>> No.21905994

>>21903922
>Lispector
An inspector of lips who also happens to be dyslexic?

>> No.21906025

>>21905546
>Eva Green's mother.
who did porn, like all whores

>> No.21906038

>>21903717
She is my type.

>> No.21906110

>>21903717
Please note we don’t read the books written by women writers. We read women writers.

>> No.21906203

>>21903717
years and years of incel discord astroturfing

>> No.21906216

>>21906038
She looks like the old photos of my Gran.

>> No.21906258

>>21904726
Imagine being this person, having these thoughts, interacting with the world in this way
how depressing

>> No.21906277
File: 159 KB, 521x937, hPPvpMYUB1u2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21903854
> the monk
Absolutely based

>> No.21906374

I'm sure this is totally incomprehensible to this board in general, but Elif Batuman is a ridiculously talented writer in the Russian vein. Her books "The Idiot" and "Either/Or" are very good if you like reading about clueless intellectual college chicks, I guess. Her love affair with Russian lit really shines through

>> No.21906388

>>21904361
limited mind

>> No.21906426

>>21903717
Genuine mysogyny (actually hating all women) is quite stupid and a truly mysogynist reader has to either deny the reality that some women can write well or has to jump through hoops to explain why good female writers are exceptions that don't count.

Of course, the word mysogyny is used to describe all sorts of things that don't involve hating women which muddies the waters.

>> No.21906446

>>21904176
There are some great female academics, the best ones are just people really interested in their subject rather than being an activist. At my university there was a piece in the student paper about "women in science" where they interviewed female science staff and one of the professors said "You shouldn't think of yourself as a woman in science, think of yourself as a scientist."

>> No.21906452

yes

>> No.21906453

4chan in general hates women and so the literature board does too. Still we read women more than most men do, even literate men. Most men don’t read Austen or the Brontës although we still have a lack of interest I. Wharton and Cather and others. There is only so much time in life

>> No.21906536

>>21904443
> Sorry for not replying to this post earlier, but I have a life and was out living it. Thankfully, I knew terminally online incels would bump the thread while I was out having a life beyond the internet. Now to answer your question.
Why do you have the need to prove anyone, besides yourself, you “have a life”? You should not care so much about what other people think of you, let alone anons on 4ch. Btw thanks for stopping living your life for a brief moment and us, peasants and plebeians, with a nice list of female authors.

>> No.21906735

>>21903717
Imagine a child crying during a thunderstorm. It’s worried about it’s parents and the loud sounds scare it. Now imagine asking the child why it’s scared and it responds, “oh I hate this storm, it reminds me of the hurricane that struck New York. All those poor people must have been miserable!” You mistakenly assume that this has revealed a kindhearted nature that the child has when in reality the child was just saying the first thing that came to mind which related their internal feeling to a memory. Really it’s your fault for assuming that the child had this character instead of observing their behavior for what their character really was.
This is how ALL women behave, and why none of them are capable of being good writers.

>> No.21906757

>>21905266
Not that anon but I get the sense from your post that you might be into Emily Dickinson. Her poems are not as laden with the image as the example you provided but I find her poetry rich with beautiful scenes. It also strikes me that this was really her goal, to express her inner world in poetic scenery.

Before I got my eye put out –
I liked as well to see
As other creatures, that have eyes –
And know no other way –
But were it told to me, Today,
That I might have the Sky
For mine, I tell you that my Heart
Would split, for size of me –
The Meadows – mine –
The Mountains – mine –
All Forests – Stintless stars –
As much of noon, as I could take –
Between my finite eyes –
The Motions of the Dipping Birds –
The Morning’s Amber Road –
For mine – to look at when I liked,
The news would strike me dead –
So safer – guess – with just my soul
Opon the window pane
Where other creatures put their eyes –
Incautious – of the Sun –

>> No.21906783

>>21903717
What's up with your obsession with coming to a place you don't fit? Nigger, if you don't like the board kultcha then just go to reddit.

>> No.21907037

>>21906757
>Not that anon but I get the sense from your post that you might be into Emily Dickinson.

Nah hate her guts, I’ve genuinely tried with her too, read every poem she’s written along with books analyzing her in attempt to appreciate her, I simply do not. I find her mysticism lukewarm, her verse overly sentimental, not musical enough and doesn’t have any exotic elements to make it interesting, doesn’t have that intoxicant quality I desire at all.

>It also strikes me that this was really her goal, to express her inner world in poetic scenery.

To me, to express this inner world with emotion and not cold image and technique, that is an ugly thing and why I reckon her the grandmother of rupi kaur.

I’m not trying to be hard mind you, Again I can point to women writers are consider better but they’re gonna be pretty profoundly non-feminine and very cold. Example a verse by duchess of pembroke, there’s no way you could tell a woman wrote it, while there is emotion it is not sentimentality, compare that Dickson with her heart splitting and need striking her dead, with this.

O Lord! in me there lieth naught
But to thy search revealed lies;
For when I sit,
Thou markest it,
No less Thou notest when I rise;
Yea, closest closet of my thought
Hath open windows to thine eyes.

Thou walkest with me when I walk;
When to my bed for rest I go
I find Thee there,
And everywhere;
Not youngest thought in me doth grow,
No, not one word I cast to talk,
But yet unuttered Thou dost know.

To shun thy notice, leave thine eye,
O, whither might I take my way?
To starry sphere?
Thy throne is there.
To dead men's undelightsome stay?
There is thy walk, and there to lie
Unknown, in vain I should essay.

O sun, whom light nor flight can match,
Suppose thy lightful, flightful wings
Thou lend to me,
And I could flee
As far as thee the evening brings;
Even led to west, He would me catch,
Nor should I lurk with western things.

Do thou thy best, O secret night,
In sable veil to cover me;
The sable veil
Shall vainly fail;
With day unmasked my night shall be:
For night is day, and darkness light,
O Father of all lights, to Thee.

>> No.21907104

>>21907037
Ok I see what you are saying. I think that sentiment has a place i poetry since it is a real part of the human experience of life that I think can add something to an image but I understand that its not for everyone. I also can see when putting the example you and I gave side by side that yours is clearly the better poem, I think it has something to do with the imminence of it. And maybe its the sentiment in Dickinson's that gets in the way of that in her poem. Almost like the way the duchess wrote her poem was the best way it could be written by anyone where the way Dickinson wrote was the best way that she could write it (And in my opinion its good) but it could be expressed better. So maybe in that sense sentiment can get in the way as a thing that leaks too much of the personal into
something who's best representation is transcendent. I definitely wouldn't put Dickinson in the same room as rupi though. Thats all sentiment without apology. I think Dickinson at least made an attempt at getting to the sublime in herself, rupi just puts out the lukewarm propaganda of womens liberation in the form of weirdly line broken prose.

>> No.21907120

>>21903782
>you're still based as fuck
there ftfy, no need to thank me anon

>> No.21907127

>>21906388
That's actually a mind that has explored a lot, don't kid yourself

>> No.21907137

>>21904422
>work most appropriate for /lit/ (really the pseuds of /lit/)
>4chan losers
>but I have a life and was out living it. Thankfully, I knew terminally online incels would bump the thread
>Plus, for you retards out there who need a SOURCE
Shit, a woman wrote this and it's so embarrasing

>> No.21907144

>>21907104
>I think that sentiment has a place i poetry since it is a real part of the human experience of life that I think can add something to an image but I understand that its not for everyone.

For me, I see it as something that sure people can enjoy and when controlled can have good results if controlled like a lot of romantic verse, but not desirable in itself for me personally.

>Almost like the way the duchess wrote her poem was the best way it could be written by anyone where the way Dickinson wrote was the best way that she could write it (And in my opinion its good) but it could be expressed better.

Absolutely and as self admitted bug person I appreciate the first far more, here’s an essay by Remy du gourmont where he divides art into two types akin to this Division you’ve just made, and makes his argument for why the latter treatment is pretty strictly worse.

https://fortnightlyreview.co.uk/2014/05/problem-style/

>So maybe in that sense sentiment can get in the way as a thing that leaks too much of the personal into
something who's best representation is transcendent.

I would even argue the emotional and little when treated with coldness is better, since your own emotions will cloud you from transmitting to the other person most clearly what you want to transmit, I will again show another example from a female I consider superior.

Sorrow by Li Qingzhao

I pine and peak
And questless seek
Groping and moping to linger and languish
Anon to wander and wonder, glare, stare and start
Flesh chill'd
Ghost thrilled
With grim dart
And keen canker of rankling anguish.

Sudden a gleam
Of fair weather felt
But fled as fast -- and the ice-cold season stays.
How hard to have these days
In rest or respite, peace or truce.
Sip upon sip of tasteless wine
Is of slight use
To counter or quell
The fierce lash of the evening blast.

The wild geese -- see --
Fly overhead
Ah, there's the grief
That's chief -- grief beyond bearing,
Wild fowl far faring
In days of old you sped
Bearing my true love's tender thoughts to me.
Lo, how my lawn is rife with golden blooms
Of bunched chrysanthemums --
Weary their heads they bow.
Who cares to pluck them now?
While I the casement keep
Lone, waiting, waiting for night
And, as the shades fall
Upon broad leaves, sparse rain-drops drip.
Ah, such a plight
Of grief -- grief unbearable, unthinkable.

>I definitely wouldn't put Dickinson in the same room as rupi though.

The problem is, the tendencies of the one if left to fester result in the other, of course I agree Dickinson is a thousand times the writer of kaur, but the ramifications of her stylistic ideals if led to their conclusion end in kaur.

>> No.21907157

>>21903717
/lit/ doesn't read newfag

>> No.21907195

>>21903717
Because in case you haven't realized it yet, most people on /lit/ don't actually enjoy reading. They enjoy reading as an aesthetic and as a commodity, but not as an act. This is why there is such an emphasis on reading "cannon" works, why there are so many asinine "stack" and "shelf" threads and why about 90% of people here have not read a book from the past decade.

When most people think of social climbers, they think of people with MFAs, or of people who wear designer clothes, but a lot of people who are ostensibly into art are also social climbers in a different sense. They realize that they will never beat the rich at their own game so they resort to accumulating cultural capital instead as a way to distinguish themselves.

Female writers have not been around or respected as long as male writers, fewer of them are in the cannon. Because of this there is less cultural capital to be won by reading them so the posers on this board refuse to read them.

>> No.21907231

>>21907144
That example feels to me very much like what Dickinson was trying to do but way better. When I first read your replies I was thinking that you were just a person who was interested in what I would call macrocosm poetry where the external sublime is explored as the focus and I thought I was giving a good example of a writer that takes the microcosm and puts it in the image of the macrocosm. But I realize now that I probably just have very little experience with people that effectively manage the latter poesy and have largely preferred the former. Its after all why I couldn't get into Walt Whitman (who I would peg as the real progenitor of rupi kaur) because it was mostly just reveling in the personal without any regard to what transcends ego. I should try to read more strong sentimentalists, I really do think that its the way to explore that microcosmic sublime that I would like to see. Emily Dickinson is clearly not the best representation of that, but I still hold her in regard as my doorway to others.

>> No.21907246

>>21907231
>Walt Whitman (who I would peg as the real progenitor of rupi kaur) because it was mostly just reveling in the personal without any regard to what transcends ego.

I fully agree on both, but Whitman has to be given his due to do just technically well he does it, even if the sentimentality/content is not desirable.

>I really do think that its the way to explore that microcosmic sublime that I would like to see.

For me, there exists worlds in men way vaster and more sublime than can be seen with the hyper focus on sentiment and emotion, here’s a Chinese verse showing what I mean, I think.

Magic strings by li-hi
“The witch pours out a libation of wine,
And clouds cover the sky,
In a jade brazier charcoal burns—
The incense booms.
Gods of the sea and mountain demons
Flock to her seat,
Crackle of burning paper money
As a whirlwind moans.
She plays a love-wood lute adorned
With golden, dancing simurghs,
Knitting her brows, she plucks a note
For each word uttered.
She calls down stars and summons demons
To savour meat and drink,
When mountain-goblins come to eat,
Men are breathless and hushed.
Colours of sunset low in a coign
Of Zhong-nan range,
Long lingers the Spirit. Something or Nothing?
We cannot tell.
The Spirit’s anger, the Spirit’s delight
Shows in her face,
Ten thousand riders escort him back
To the emerald hills.

And the same poem continued in this
Farewell song of magic strings
“The Maiden of Witch Mountain now departs
Behind a screen of clouds,
In spring a breeze blows flowers of pine
Down from the mountain-side.
Alone beneath her emerald canopy she returns
Through fragrant paths,
White horses and flower-decked poles
Dazzle before her.
On the River of Shu blows a limpid wind,
Water like gauze,
Who will float on a fallen orchid
To come to see her?
A cassia tree on a southern hill
Is dying for her,
Her robes of cloud are slightly stained
By its rouged petals.

For me, there’s just a lot more in verse like this.

>> No.21907250

>>21907195
kablooey

>> No.21907255

>>21904448
>Elena Ferrante
elena ferrante is not a real person but a male author's pen name

>> No.21907335

>>21907246
>For me, there exists worlds in men way vaster and more sublime than can be seen with the hyper focus on sentiment and emotion
I have to agree with this. It seems to me now thinking about it that, though sentiment is required to probe that depth of the microcosm, what comes from it is almost always better when its presented with as little ego, and without that outright emotional language (though I think emotion has to come through a bit, even if that emotion tends to be awe) as possible for the work to still hold meaning. I think that mytho-poetic stuff like your example does it best and is far and above my favorite. Images of real sublime are great but images that come from the real sublime playing with human imagination in the form of myth connects the macro and micro into the lapis for me. Fuck what ever gender an author might be. If they can pull that off they are worth reading. Even if the sentiment that they used to probe their inner world isn't one I have shared.
That being said have you read any Victoria Nelson? I have her "Neighbor George" on my list for the very reason that, from what I understand, her goal seems to be to take these stories of sentiment into a mythical direction (though now that I mention it I think neighbor george is about a relationship between two people, it just so happens that one of those people is a kind of fay deity. You may not be into it).

>> No.21907341

>>21903736
As a guy who’s had sex and only started paying for it recently, I also hate women. Prostitution is good. Women bad.

>> No.21907347

It's never really occurred to me. Sorry :P

>> No.21907363

>>21907195
>Because in case you haven't realized it yet, most people on /lit/ don't actually enjoy reading
Your opener cut me to the bone with its accuracy. You then proceeded to drop into a death spiral of nonsense.

>> No.21907368

>>21906258
not an argument

>> No.21908411
File: 367 KB, 532x398, 1667115890417182.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21907195

>> No.21908432

>>21903717
incel midwit board that doesn’t read, please understand

>> No.21908504
File: 483 KB, 1553x1127, R.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21907195
I mean...well, goddamn. I really can't poke too many holes in this. Well played anon.

>> No.21908540
File: 269 KB, 512x512, 102662661518.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21907195
>so they resort to accumulating cultural capital instead as a way to distinguish themselves.
Kinos for this feel? Also how do I stop?

>> No.21908561

>>21908504
>I really can't poke too many holes in this
really? I can. It's all unsubstantiated bullshit. The whole thing is holes.

>> No.21908590

>>21908561
Not an argument

>> No.21908639

>>21908590
yes, it is. What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

>> No.21908652

>>21903717
I don't actively choose to not read women writers. I just read what interests me, and none of that is authored by a woman.

>> No.21908662

>>21907195
Accurate. It's like trying to discuss health and fitness on /fit/ or vidya on /v/

>> No.21908667

>>21908639
Not that anon but I can provide anecdotal evidence, I for one only read for the appearance of being well read, so that art hoes will hop on my penis. If there is one there is bound to be more. Considering the aspects of anonymous image boards that make them appealing (ie not having to prove anything because you are anonymous and being able to change your stance at a whim because no one can tie your takes to a user name) Im willing to bet the majority of users, like me, come here to test out or outright steal takes on literature that are slightly more interesting than what you can find on wiki articles with the goal of making yourself more appealing to dark academia pixi dream girls.

>> No.21908670

>>21903717
Chick in your pic is very cute. Would fuck. Would not read anything she wrote though.

>> No.21908700

>>21906388
Limits are what give meaning to this world.

>> No.21908724

>>21907195
I just realized I said MFA instead of MBA
rip

>> No.21908834
File: 3.60 MB, 498x247, 1681225967416881.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21907195
>cannon

>> No.21910551

>>21908724
So it goes.

>> No.21910638

What's up with women writers' obsession of not writing anything that I want to read and acting like that is a sign of taste?

>> No.21910757

Inagine having Sarraute as a top 3 writers and lecturing people about good taste lol. Pathétique...

>> No.21911295

>>21904694

Compare two versions of the song Me and Bobby McGee.

Gordon Lightfoot's vs Janis Joplin's.

>> No.21911327

One of my favourite manga artists is a woman.
On the whole I'm just not that interested in what women have to say though. They strike me as frustratingly dull people. The only women I really get along with are autismbrain weirdos.

>> No.21911345

>>21911295
Oh...you think Janis Joplin wrote the musical arrangement for her version? That's hilarious. You're dumb as a fucking rock, and her version is superior. Jesus Christ you fucking gay ass zoomer kill yourself.

>> No.21911351

When people write, what does it matter if they are men or women? I think this kind of discussion is just an outlet for prejudiced people. It is like saying "When you eat pizza, is it better when it is prepared by a man, or a woman"? The whole discussion is stupid.

>> No.21911353

>>21907341
Prostitution isnt the same. You're still a loser, you didn't earn it and no one wants to give their body willingly to you. Its hollow. You're just paying to masturbate.

>> No.21911365

Everyone in this thread saying they only read men writers or will never read a woman writer exclusively read sci-fi and fantasy schlock. Really makes you think doesn't it?

>> No.21911367

>>21911351
Great chefs are men on the whole, yeah. Women are just too half assed in everything they do. They have no passion.

>> No.21911372

>>21911367
My mom is the best chef I know. And my grandma is the best baker. Your post makes me feel lucky to have been born me instead of someone else.

>> No.21911373

>>21911367
t. His mom never cooked dinner for his family
Most Moms are better chefs than the snooty wankers in Michelin star restaurants. I'd rather have a homecooked meal from a Mom cooking from a recipe passed down from mother to daughter for a few generations, than some snooty wankers pea-sized steak with m&m sized dollops of basalmic vinegar decorating the plate, and with a wanky pièce de résistance of sprig leaves on top of the pea-sized steak.

>> No.21911378

>>21911367
Paula Dean, Rachel Ray, and Martha Stewart are better cooks than Gordon Ramsey. I'd rather go to a Paula Dean restaurant than a Gordon Ramsey restaurant.

>> No.21911384

>>21911365
No, they read (or pretend to read) the safest texts in the history of mankind, aka the canon. They're babies who need a strategy guide for literature. I'd wager that the /sfg/fags are more open-minded than the /pol/ runoff.

>> No.21911401

>>21911373
My mom did cook dinner for the family, and I'm better at cooking than she is.

>> No.21911411

>>21911384
I mean, I've read some Ursula K. Le Guin, and it's okay, but it's not Harlan Ellison.

>> No.21911415

>>21911345
Her version is rubbish and she mucked up the lyrics terribly. She obviously had creative direction over her own song, which turns to absolute goop pretty quickly.

Gordons Version is simply clean and pure, and lets the lyrics do the job. Close your eyes and listen. You can visualize the whole story. With Joplin's? Nope, you get nothing from it but the pain in her voice and the occasional fur ball. I guess some people like that.

>> No.21911432

>>21911373
>>Most Moms are better chefs than the snooty wankers in Michelin star restaurants.
maybe long time ago, nowadays roasties are proud to not know how to cook

>> No.21911434

Women are for sex and babies, you should already know this by the time you’re 21 (assuming moderate real life socialization)

>> No.21911622

>>21911365
I like reading about werewolf billionaire vampire rape

>> No.21911739

>>21911432
Your resentment colors your world view against reality and your attempt to reinforce it here through seeking (you)'s of affirmation will only result in intrenching you in a fiction that keeps you from happiness. I hope you get better anon.

>> No.21911856

>>21904029
>>21904034

Good effortpost

>> No.21912218

>>21903922
I'm reading Seven Gothic Tales right now, and read Babette's Feast and a few other of her short stories last month. I like her. Going to look up the other two. Are they similar to Karen Blixen?

>> No.21912685

Sayaka Murata' books are perfect for 4chan weridos.

>> No.21912717

>>21904029
Stfu retard

>> No.21912731

>>21904448
>Mccuckers
Got me in the first half chief.

>> No.21912735

>>21903736
I've been in many long term relationships and nothing taught me how vile and repulsive women are better than that
some have written some decent things

>> No.21912811

>>21912735
yes, I dont really get the logic of "he hates women he must be incel"
Its just cope, really, saying oh he never met a real woman before that is why he would think we are not perfect creatures! No. If someones an incel its easier for him to have an ideal of women in his mind. Its when he gets to know one that the disenchantment happens.

>> No.21912856

>>21911351
Thanks for sharing.

>> No.21913228

You're way wrong.
I read Erica Jong.

>> No.21914067

>>21907335
Sorry for the very late reply, I didn’t check the thread.
But no I’ve not read Victoria Nelson, though honestly I doubt I would be interested, On one hand I’m a bug person, on the hand I’m very into world religions, folklore and myth, so I’ve studied everything available from the welsh and so forth on fey so my judgement would be a lot harsher. I actually despise when writers try to use religious or mythic motif without a deep understanding of them, since to me it feels like a kind of shallow vanity, transforming symbols of titanic depth into empty prop pieces that are vaguely pretty.

gonna unapologetically shill, this is a poem I wrote about the seductive manipulative illusion of the “pretty” the vain-beautiful.

Dazzling Lights

through the rills and rayed sunbeams,
rolling hills of daffodils,
crystal lakes of shrill undines,
golden gilts ‘round shadow stills,

beauty’s born as to birds humming,
to the pipsqueak pixie’s pretty play,
bades imbibe the bounties umpteenth,
so the misty-mystique mislead-may,

dew to web and the strings strumming,
flies are caught sun-lost by light,
spiders moving through the becomings,
eyes are lost Sun-caught by light.

heed not the drumming nor the drummer,
seek not the coming of the summer,
know not the ghost of hunger hungers?
know not the souls of under utter
woe to know the flow of colds and scolds to comb?
woed to sow their hopes in gold and bows and combs?
seek the speech that sings the secret salvation,
he that sees the king is Jesus damn’s damnation.
But in any case, I think you should check out the poetry of Goethe and related, they do this precise type of thing that you desire.

>> No.21914099

>>21912735
http://www.theabsolute.net/minefield/bkwife.html

>> No.21914109
File: 774 KB, 2101x1614, various historical figures on women.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.21914126
File: 248 KB, 500x500, 1561304618411.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21907137

>> No.21914143

>>21908834
You have to give it to him, he knows how to craft a good midwit bait.

>> No.21914160

>>21903846
10/10 and 95/100*

>> No.21914231

>>21904128
Lol, I've seen what garbage you read in another thread. Women can't write for shit. Women suck and are retarded.

>> No.21914343

>>21914109
what book?

>> No.21914767

>>21907341
You are no better than the women you have disdain for

>> No.21915020
File: 128 KB, 434x434, 1502130411555.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21903717
Should I check out Bowen? And what other wammin wrote like Woolf? Because I would love more like that.

>> No.21915212

>>21911415
i mean it is a song you're not supposed to enjoy it for the skill of the vocalist? i'd just read prose if i wanted to listen to the lyrics alone

>> No.21915239

>>21903717
There was an article in The Independent back in 2015 where a group of feminists were telling readers to boycott white male writers for a year.
Not that white male writers had done any crimes or anything. They were just sick of white males dominating people’s bookshelves.
Being a contrarian I decided to boycott female authors for a year.
After the year was over, I realized how much happier I was without female authors in my life. I realized that there were more great books by male authors than I could ever hope to read in one lifetime. I realized that female writers were disposable. I realized that a male reader needs a female writer like a bicycle needs a fish.
So I decided to extend the boycott beyond the one year time limit and I haven’t read a book by a femoid since I read that article back in 2015.

>> No.21915396

>>21903717
lol a woman posted this, didnt read

>> No.21916111

>>21915396
Yeah you did. Otherwise how could you even make that conclusion? You're just another male exemplifying his natural state of being a low IQ knuckle dragger.

>> No.21916128

>>21904029
> Frankly I’m a bug
What do you mean?

>> No.21916145

>>21903717
Ayn Rand

>> No.21917038
File: 153 KB, 793x540, wo-men.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21903736
Women were a mistake. Fuck off and stop scamming men, you sociopaths.

>> No.21917241

>>21903736
This.
Add to the fact that the majority of people on this board don't read books.

>> No.21917317

>>21907195
The day /lit/ got told

>> No.21917327

>>21916128
Very emotionally cold and relatively uncaring person, I don’t feel emotional sympathy in the majority cases for people, I have to intellectually grasp the emotional situation and act in accordance, nothing spontaneous about it nor do I find the majority of emotions overwhelming or preferable.

For example, an exception to this is religion, genuine religious experience and emotion moves me, but it cannot be religious Emotion about the journey of religion or their road to God, that produces nothing in me, except sometimes feeling of contempt. It has to be about the wondrous nature of God himself and the experience of knowing God.

Goethe gives a three fold scheme for types of art in one of his books, of which I often think about.

1=low art which operates on the other most portion of man, and this has to do with pure display of power, force, color, gaudy, the perfect representative of this is the firework show or watching a street fight, the beauty of it is all surface, there is no inherent emotional depth.

This is low art, I greatly enjoy low Art.

Superior to this Goethe says, is that art which acts upon the middle portion of man, his emotions and feelings, and these are often the common persons favorites, these work on manipulating sentiment most often, examples of middle art being the generic chick-flick, various anime renown as tear jerkers like kannon and clannad, the emotional style of classical music playing employed by Asians often, and in lit writers like Dostoevsky, Dickinson, even Sylvia Plath, even rupi kaur.

Cont

>> No.21917332

>>21917327
This type of art which Goethe considers middle art, I do not gain any pleasure from it by majority, especially not in lit, I am more willing to go for it in romantic music like berlioz or soul music like Solomon Burke, but mostly I’m numb to this style. This style is often what people refer to today as SOVL.

The third and innermost layer (and I say inner because, to Goethe, each layer of art if successfully done, produces all of the enjoyment of the prior form of art but with additional elements) is art which acts upon the self and the philosophical conception, directly modifying how you relate to and experience qualia, how you think of concepts, even how think of yourself.

Examples of this which is high art, would be the divine comedy and paradise lost, for the divine comedy has brought many to Christianity and Italy even, and the rhetoric employed in Milton’s satan is so successful that otherwise normal Christians can be manipulated to empathize with literally satan and in some cases, even fall into satan worship, or in the case of Goethe’s werther, kill themselves en mass. Silly as it may sound, something like berserk and mushishi in anime would be imo good options for high art, since I’ve seen both especially berserk force people to turn their life around and reformulate their conception of self.

I very much enjoy high art. Now there’s other types modes modifications and so forth which men like Schiller and others give in their models on art which I also agree with, but in general I find this model decently accurately, so when I say I am a bug person, I am really saying that the second form of art doesn’t have much value to me personally.

>> No.21917333

I have never gone out of my way to identify if an author is male or not. I identify if an author has interesting ideas or well-regarded works relevant to my interests, and 100% of them turn out to be males. Literally why would I ever go out of my way to dig up a female author when their works uniformly aren't hitting my standards?

>> No.21917340

>>21911434
True. That’s why I’m basically gay now. I’m technically bisexual, but I’m a 5.7 on the Kinsey scale.

Rationally, it makes more sense for me to be a fag because:
>I never wanted kids
>I prefer tightness over full sensations during sex, so anal is up my alley. Also, men have larger and stronger muscles and bones, so he can apply a stronger vice grip
>I prefer being around calm and rational individuals, and men tend to be those things more than women
>men can be feminine as well, so that satisfies my minuscule straightness percentage
>less pressure because we can protect ourselves

>> No.21917940

>>21917038
do not extrapolate from just your mother

>> No.21917962

>>21917333
>digits
This has been pretty much my course. I have, however, stopped reading a book to pull a bio once I got to something that showed massive bias. I knew zero about Gavin Debecker before I read one of his books and could tell that he was a faggot just by how he framed a topic.

>> No.21917965

>>21903769
moot... is that you?

>> No.21918006

I don't explicitly avoid reading books because the author is a woman. It's more got to do with the topics that they cover, which I'm usually not interested it so I never bother.

>> No.21918233

>>21916111
lol a woman posted this, didnt read

>> No.21918493

>>21904767
whats stopping that kind of culture to take the same approach towards any kind of creative endeavor and dismissing it as emotional

>> No.21918502

>>21911353
> NOOO IT DOESN'T COUNT
> YOU HAVE TO EARN IT THE REAL WAY
> REEEEEE

>> No.21918519

>>21918493
Brother it largely has, the only form of art we allow is folk music really, and if the lyrics are overly emotional about a woman for example, you’re basically inviting yourself to become a thing of mocking, you also can’t sing too hard with too much emotion or that also will get you mocked.

I’m not saying that this is necessarily ideal, it’s just the reality for me, it absolutely shapes your taste.

>> No.21918533

>>21911353
Casual sex while unmarried with no intent of being married is also what a loser does, a loser who doesn’t have much to lose, one who is open to being filled to the brim with Stds and thinks he’s somehow gained value just because a loose women opened their legs.

Both extremes are bad, the proper way is banging your wife, if you don’t have one then what’s the point of you talking and courting all of these women? What did it earn you?

>> No.21918540

>>21906038
Then go watch some Godard movies.

>> No.21918571

>>21904448
>But if you think you're "intelligent" try reading The Waves lmao.
It's her best work you dumb faggot. To the Lighthouse is all right, but The Waves is her magnum opus. It's not even that hard of a book to read.

>> No.21919169

I don't believe that women can focus on a specific subject for long as men... That's why they cant become so deeply analytical and realistic like men... There are a few good female writers of course here and there... But the most of them are writing about cats and unclarified mixed up emotions without much in sight... This is something you can see in other forms of art or science as well imo...

>> No.21919402
File: 290 KB, 750x1194, 154DB19F-2B9B-43C1-911E-D3EEE247C575.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21918571

>> No.21919407

>>21907037
>To me, to express this inner world with emotion and not cold image and technique, that is an ugly thing and why I reckon her the grandmother of rupi kaur.
Holy based

>> No.21919472

>>21903762
>I think that young people in particular tend to gravitate towards writers who are more similar to themselves (or rather similar to how they'd like to be). Lots of people on this board are just starting out reading and don't have a lot of experience interacting with women, so they're naturally less interested in seeing the world through those eyes. It's pretty normal and I'm sure as they get older their tastes will widen.
The fuck? No, it's the opposite. When I was 12-20 I was the most hungry for different perspectives and ways of thinking unlike mine. It's only after I hit 21+ I'd started to purposufely read authors to think like me because I'm already familiar with other ways of perceiving reality.